• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really loving it.

The music, atmosphere, dialogue and side quests are all great and the main story seems promising in the early stages.

The only movement stuff I have a real issue with is the swimming, especially when you have to do stuff underwater (an early side quest in a well springs to mind).

The combat feels pretty fluid for me once you start nailing the timing of the dodges and counters.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I never played DA:I. What was the DA:I situation? Just curious.
It was highly praised when it came to reviews, but a lot of people on GAF seem to hate it. At least from my understanding. Personally, I loved it and I'm expecting to love The Witcher 3 even more.

Played a bit on PS4 aside from the three crashes I've had so far (all from playing gwent), it's been fine. Fight are fun and the controls are serviceable. Controlling the horse is alright. It's no RDR, but it'll do. Music is good.

Hopefully there's a patch soon so I can get around to playing gwent.

Afrodium

Banned
I never played DA:I. What was the DA:I situation? Just curious.

It got great reviews based on the size of the world and insane amount of content, reviewers gushed about how they had spent over 100 hours in the game and still had things to do (something I've seen in a lot of Witcher 3 reviews). Consumers bought the game and many found the content to be tedious and dull, and though there was a lot of content it increasingly became a chore to play.

Given that the OT for this game a few hours after launch is filled with people complaining about jank and poor controls I think it's safe to assume there will be some buyer's remorse. I don't think people will drop it for the same reasons they dropped DA:I, however.

GravyButt

How does looting work? If noone is in the house or sees you then your ok? I thought I read somewhere that looting can cause guards to come after you and maybe even lose certain side quests. My ocd tells me to loot anything and everything unless it negatively impacts the game.

Just curious because its sitting on my ps4 but cant play. Daughter has a 103 fever :( hate that shit. Stupid teething. Scaring the crap out of me being that high. Sorry for going off topic.

Ghost23

I have a feeling this is going to end up being another DA:I type situation for a lot of people here.

I'm enjoying the game for the most part, but man is controlling Geralt just flat out awful. It's a good game, but it feels like basic fantasy RPG so far. (I'm still in the prologue area on PS4)

Hopefully the story is intriguing - that's what could separate it from the other RPG's of the past year

boskee

Almost forgot another thing I didn't like - I went to an undiscovered location (few buildings in white orchard) and killed 4 ghouls. As soon as I finished, a cut scene started playing in which villagers returned to their homes. Wasn't this supposed to happen "at some point in the future" and not straight away? Here's hoping it's only instantaneous in White Orchard, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

The1Ski

Playing on a PS4, first Witcher game, I gotta say the game feels janky as fuck...movement, how the character interacts with the environment, the camera...I've already encountered serious framerate shit during cut scenes....I'm not sure what to think.

Hopefully this is not my future experience...

j-wood

Does anyone else have a stupid bug where the game keeps resetting all user settings because a patch was applied?

Really frustrating. It keeps dropping everything to low settings. So I can't use the geforce profile. Using the galaxy client.

Salsa

quick question

I don't have my witcher 2 save on this machine anymore. I told it to "simulate" one (or something like that, can't remember) but it didnt let me get any choices

is that the random option then, or do the choices come later?

JJD

Will probably get fixed in an inevitable patch 1.03. Still, I remember couple of reviewers mentioning it, and they still couldn't fix it for day 1 :/

So this is well know? Makes me wonder what kind of QA they had...

Do you know if there is any way to finish the tutorial? Gwent seems cool.

Simo

How am I supposed to play this fucking thing? I got the PS4 physical copy, 1.1 patch installed and when starting a new game the menu music plays over the cinematic and when it comes to loading the prologue, with the fucking menu music still going, it just says "loading" without the bar moving.

Tried starting it up twice now, and having to watch the 2 fucking unskippable movies, and the same thing.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I think its safer to say people hate the filler of DA:I rather than the core game.
Ahh that makes sense. It's my biggest issue with the game as well. I didn't go back go the DA:I OT once the game came out, so I was stunned when I read a few weeks later that GAF hated it.

boskee

So this is well know? Makes me wonder what kind of QA they had...

Do you know if there is any way to finish the tutorial? Gwent seems cool.

It crashed on me once after I tried to pass. I then restarted the game and played it again without a problem. I also won that Gwent game.

KorrZ

XP really is reduced on hard difficulty eh? Still level 1 about 2 hours in lol god damn. Hard feels really good difficulty wise though. Its not ridiculous and frustrating but I can't be too cocky either.

Can someone make a post for newbies? I'm really overwhelmed with potions and mutagens and whatnots. I'm being told I need a bi be to destroy a monster nest but don't know what ingredients I need and where to find them. I've also got to fight the well ghost and it said to brew a notion but I'm not sure what potion.

Hagi

I don't like that they changed Yrden :(

I just finished 2 this weekend and that was my go to sign and now it's completely different.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a stupid combat question. How do you reliably strong attack with mouse + keyboard? It says to hold left shift. But, in combat, if I hold left shift Geralt does nothing, or sometimes will start walking around in a silly manner.

If I hold left shift and then left click, Geralt does nothing at all.

If I hold left shift and DOUBLE left click, I might get a strong attack.

Am I supposed to press left shift after left clicking? Is there something I might be missing? I don't want to have to double click in combat.

It was highly praised when it came to reviews, but a lot of people on GAF seem to hate it. At least from my understanding. Personally, I loved it and I'm expecting to love The Witcher 3 even more.

Yep, that's my feeling as well.
Haters gonna hate, I guess.

quick question

I don't have my witcher 2 save on this machine anymore. I told it to "simulate" one (or something like that, can't remember) but it didnt let me get any choices

is that the random option then, or do the choices come later?

The choices come later, not at the start. It's quite early though.

Jolkien

Just reached level two, you certainly don't level fast in this game. Lots of good choice early on... I'm torn lol. Any recommendation for folks a lot further along.

Ralemont

not me
I have a feeling this is going to end up being another DA:I type situation for a lot of people here.

It'll win a bunch of awards and place high on GAF's GOTY list?

just messing around, I know what you mean.

I'm seeing a lot about Geralt's movement in general, but what about attack lag? Attacks/dodging at least looked more responsive in vids compared to TW2.

Can't wait to pick this up.

OCD Guy

Given that the OT for this game a few hours after launch is filled with people complaining about jank and poor controls I think it's safe to assume there will be some buyer's remorse.

Yeah it's certainly not a good sign.

Normally with new games the novelty lasts a little longer than that, and then once the "new game feel" has worn off people start seeing the cracks.

The controls do feel "odd" but it's not a deal breaker.

I can defintely see a lot of people who have picked this up due to hype hating this game though. No doubt people complaining about graphical glitches, framerate and controls.

Thing is a lot of that was mentioned in reviews but bwcause the start and side wuests are so good they overlooked it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I've been in full on witcher mode for the past week, books, comics, games and it's starting to work into my everyday vocabulary. Think I might have called someone at my workplace a whoreson today.
When you start calling for Odrin, you know you're in trouble.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a stupid combat question. How do you reliably strong attack with mouse + keyboard? It says to hold left shift. But, in combat, if I hold left shift Geralt does nothing, or sometimes will start walking around in a silly manner.

If I hold left shift and then left click, Geralt does nothing at all.

If I hold left shift and DOUBLE left click, I might get a strong attack.

Am I supposed to press left shift after left clicking? Is there something I might be missing? I don't want to have to double click in combat.
Quoting for new page. I'm very early on having just finished the intro sequence, and I would REALLY like to figure out how to strong attack without double clicking. I'm using default keyboard + mouse bindings.

Is there any way to tell that you strong attacked besides the delay? Geralt does a spinny thing sometimes but I think there may be a fast spinny thing and a strong spinny thing.

NightOnyx

I know the game was releasing early at some gamestops, but did I miss something about the digital copies being unlocked early? I got the PS4 version and it's about 23 minutes until midnight, but I can play it already. Not complaining though, I'm excited to start playing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom