• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Sent cdprojektred a tweet, asking them to improve the text size, it's way too small. I'm struggling to read the text, learning all the backstory and such in the options screen.
Thanks. I hope more people with Twitter do it as well, or at the very least give an option to make the text pure white instead of dark.

For the record I finally figured out my shift-click problem. Witcher 3 and FRAPS can coexist if you disable the Steam overlay. The Steam overlay does not work in Witcher 3 anyway for me (shift-click), but disabling allows Fraps to run AND allows shift-click to do strong attacks.

I was terrified after reading about the framerate issues on xbox one, now that I've been 1 hour in and being a guy who can tell the difference between 60&30 fps and all that, it's perfectly fine to play. The cutscenes aren't smooth as it's been pointed out, but I belive we're a patch away from the "sweet spot".
Looks very pretty and the card game is surprisingly fun to play.

Edit: Yes, bigger text and subs ASAP... or after fixing the other things at least.

demolitio

So, does this game play better with a controller or kb+m? I played TW2 with kb+m but figured with the focus on console controls, this one might be better with a controller. Anyone have any experiences with both?

About to hop on finally after getting GOG Galaxy to stop going nuts. It decided to redownload the day 1 patch 20 times over while I was gone.

erawsd

Question about the notice boards. I went up to the first one you come to, and there were a bunch of notices up, but I only got a couple quests from them; the rest didn't give anything. Are they just lore/world-building?

Yes, some notices are just there for flavor.

Got excited into the OT to check the latest impressions of the game and this is the first one I see on the last page... Damn need to read more impressions of course but this doesn't sounds good.

I'm really frustrated with the controls. Despite that I like it a bunch and am thoroughly enjoying myself.

Got excited into the OT to check the latest impressions of the game and this is the first one I see on the last page... Damn need to read more impressions of course but this doesn't sounds good.

Well, here's another impression: I really like it so far. The controls/jankiness are a bit of a problem currently, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. That's really the only negative I've found so far.

Courage

The technical issues he's talking about are valid but everything else about the game is brilliant. Make sure to play on Hard.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm really frustrated with the controls. Despite that I can already see that this is going to be an outstanding game.
Does anyone know a trick for getting Geralt to face ladders safely from above, and then get the (E) highlight to appear? In the tutorial I kept jumping off by accident with mouse + keyboard, and that can kill you.

I've been playing the PS4 version for 3 hours and I LOVE the game

epmode

Dude's crazy. The writing and Game of Thrones comments are especially nuts.

In related news, I don't think I'll ever get over people bitching about animations in a 100+ hour RPG. Developers can only do so much with the time they have. Not everyone has Rockstar's unlimited resources.

The controls are definitely a bit eurojank but it's a small price to pay for something like this.

What a waste of $65 bucks (PS4 version).

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Shit combat (it makes Shadow of Mordor look like Bayonetta)
Bad Writing (To be fair this is on me because I watched trailers for this and played the second game, so I shouldn't be that surprised.)
Shit Textures
Crashes (It's crashed on me 3 times now)
Hud overload (that Bloodborne Ubisoft pic is sooooooo appropriate)
Awful framerate (especially cutscenes)

I knew this game was going to suck and decided to buy it anyways, I only have myself to blame.
mjcry1.png

This is an Ubisoft game with a Game of Thrones skin and slightly less shitty combat and writing (yes, I know it's based on books but it sucks in pretty much the same way that show does). That fact that this terrible game has a 92 on metacritic and has 1.5 plus million pre orders is absolutely disgusting.
scust.png

Eh good thing I'll be getting it for around 35 tomorrow then.

OCD Guy

Obviously we all have our own opinions, and one mans trash is another mans treasure but honestly hand on heart this game is nowhere near as bad as he has made out.

If it was, you'd have a lot more people mentioning it. The only "issues" you'll likely read about are controls which I imagine people will get used to, and graphical glitches and freezes that will likely get patched.

Now i don't want to come across as the Witcher defense force, this game isn't the greatest game ever, but it's nowhere near the garbage that guy has made out.

Thanks. I hope more people with Twitter do it as well, or at the very least give an option to make the text pure white instead of dark.

For the record I finally figured out my shift-click problem. Witcher 3 and FRAPS can coexist if you disable the Steam overlay. The Steam overlay does not work in Witcher 3 anyway for me (shift-click), but disabling allows Fraps to run AND allows shift-click to do strong attacks.

I'd even be happy with a zoom function.

Found some weird text in the game. Go into glossary, then select tutorial then scroll down to combat. It's like it's in a different language.

I'm very pleased thus far - tutorial and reached the first town.

But the game isn't recognizing my 360 controller. In fact, whenever I move around the menus, I get a 'Keyboard and Mouse detected. Control scheme changed' message.

S'annoying

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
For those who have played with both inputs, is it less "janky" with controller over mouse/keyboard?

Not really no, especially when rising horse, the camera does this auto focus forward thing with the controller that is really frustrating. However the controller is a lot better for controlling movement on foot just in terms of stopping yourself. Gonna stick with kb/m for the camera control though.

But the game isn't recognizing my 360 controller. In fact, whenever I move around the menus, I get a 'Keyboard and Mouse detected. Control scheme changed' message.

S'annoying

I'm getting this too, like if I change a keybind or even a video setting it pops that message.

MaddenNFL64

Does anyone know a trick for getting Geralt to face ladders safely from above, and then get the (E) highlight to appear? In the tutorial I kept jumping off by accident with mouse + keyboard, and that can kill you.

Just take it slow, and face them is my advice. The button prompts are awkward as hell in this game, as you have to be super close, but stand on the bush you want to grab an herb from and you went too far.

Afrodium

Banned
Can someone make a post for newbies? I'm really overwhelmed with potions and mutagens and whatnots. I'm being told I need a bi be to destroy a monster nest but don't know what ingredients I need and where to find them. I've also got to fight the well ghost and it said to brew a notion but I'm not sure what potion.

You don't have to brew potions for the well ghost, I think Geralt just says something about needing them. If you want to brew potions then check out the bestiary for the type of ghoul it is and you'll find out. I don't remember the potion, but it had some name that made it obvious it was strong against ghosts and I had the ingredients to make it even though it was the first quest I did.

Often, if the main quest is forcing you to brew/craft something then there will be side quests that give you exactly what you need.

grimmiq

7 hours in and loving it so far, have had a few issues though, one of the early cutscenes turned into a slideshow for about 15secs and upon exiting a tavern to find 3 enemies waiting outside +4 horses that got spooked from the fight the framerate took a huge nosedive.

Movement seems a bit janky, a lot like Witcher 2, dodging seems very ineffectual unless you do it super early, Quen seems to have taken a huge hit in usefulness.

Running around the first zone to get as many of the ?'s as I can..got to one thinking it'd be something weak to find a bear that 1 shots me.

Can someone make a post for newbies? I'm really overwhelmed with potions and mutagens and whatnots. I'm being told I need a bi be to destroy a monster nest but don't know what ingredients I need and where to find them. I've also got to fight the well ghost and it said to brew a notion but I'm not sure what potion.

That fight was rough the first 2 times until I realized the
trap sign seems to lower it's shield and you can kill it pretty damn quick.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
He's a bit less grounded I feel but not in a detrimental way. The added dodge mechanic is a big welcome in my eyes to make combat flow better. I don't think you'll have any problems with the controls after 2.

Only thing I'm not vibing with is the changing of how Yrden works.

In Witcher 2 Geralt doesn't really have much momentum. He takes maybe a moment to start running from stopped, but he can pretty much immediately turn on a dime. In Witcher 3 you DEFINITELY have momentum. You sort of lurch into a run when you start moving from a stop, and when you turn, Geralt doesn't immediately snap to the new direction. He moves more realistically, I suppose. They feel pretty different, so I don't know that you can really judge whether or not you'll like W3 from W2.

When exploring theres definitely a lot more momentum to him, he doesnt come to an immediate stop nor can he make very sharp turns. You also cant interact with anything while pressing the analog stick forward, you must release first. Many of the reviews actually referenced it and mentioned it being something they had to adjust to, we'll see if the same happens for the rest of us.

He handles better. Also I appreciate the lock on system for being closer to Dark Souls now.

Sounds like I'll be fine. Thanks for the impressions guys. :)

Yup, what it on the other side of that river? Cause I could see rabbits n shit chilling out so that surprised me.

Just heard Geralt comment "I'm too old for a journey that far" and "miles and miles and miles" when at the edge of the map. That's a better explanation than the "You've reached the end of the world" message that pops up, haha.

Frustrating that my quest marker seems to keep telling me to go in a direction that the game won't let me. It's trying to loop up and around that area, and I'm kind of stuck in a ravine, and the game complains nearly any direction I go. Guess I'll have to fast travel out.

Not really no, especially when rising horse, the camera does this auto focus forward thing with the controller that is really frustrating. However the controller is a lot better for controlling movement on foot just in terms of stopping yourself. Gonna stick with kb/m for the camera control though.

Sorry to hear gamepad was no more to your liking! Glad you liked that weight on GTA4 though.

S'annoying

I wouldn't mind the KB+M detected message. It does that to me whenever I transition between a menu, despite KB+M being the only thing plugged in. Go figure.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Omg was that a dig at Dragon Age in the first like 60 seconds?

Tutorial spoiler
When Geralt walks out on his balcony: "Shit... mountain looks beautiful as ever."

Virdix

What a waste of $65 bucks (PS4 version).

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Shit combat (it makes Shadow of Mordor look like Bayonetta)
Bad Writing (To be fair this is on me because I watched trailers for this and played the second game, so I shouldn't be that surprised.)
Shit Textures
Crashes (It's crashed on me 3 times now)
Hud overload (that Bloodborne Ubisoft pic is sooooooo appropriate)
Awful framerate (especially cutscenes)

I knew this game was going to suck and decided to buy it anyways, I only have myself to blame.
mjcry1.png

This is an Ubisoft game with a Game of Thrones skin and slightly less shitty combat and writing (yes, I know it's based on books but it sucks in pretty much the same way that show does). That fact that this terrible game has a 92 on metacritic and has 1.5 plus million pre orders is absolutely disgusting.
scust.png

LOL, I was wondering if you would show up again.

Jtrizzy

Enjoying the game, but yeah the movement is too fast and janky. I never like it in games where you have to barely move the controller forward to walk at a normal pace. Pushing the analog stick all the way forward makes him move too fast. I turned the camera speed down all the way, and that makes it a little better.

Again, the battle system leaves something to be desired. The game seems more like trial and error on harder difficulties.

whatever.

game seems okay. I'll probably play for another 5 hours and then switch back to persona 4.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Game is buggy for sure. Crashed once, got stuck in the bind pose for a brief period and witnessed corrupted icon textures.

Worst is the text size however. I had to move right in front of the TV :-/

Game is fun otherwise so far.

Has anyone figured out how theft works? I got the message when I walked into the first village but despite looting containers right in front of people no one seems to react. Is it only when guards are around? Does it tell you what's okay to loot and what's not?

Stoze

He's been shitting on the game in multiple Witcher 3 threads before playing it. Don't worry about his opinion. Unless you value people's opinions when they go into games with a negative agenda.

Honestly none of the complaints have really surprised me or turned me off, they belong to pretty much every open world game at this point. Gotta expect dat jank. Biggest worrying points to me is if you can't pause during cut-scenes or the hud isn't customizable on PS4 like they said. I mean we seriously don't need a step count.

Unfortunately I won't be playing until later tomorrow, will give my impressions then.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
LOL, I was wondering if you would show up again.
I see he's still fighting the good fight. :p

I'm all for varying opinions, but he kinda soiled his credibility due to his crusade against the game in previous Witcher threads.

And I still think it's funny that someone with a DBZ avatar is ragging on something for "shitty" writing. xD

aravuus

I mean, yeah, the game definitely has its share of flaws, but I wouldn't pay mr sunny any attention.

Furyous

When do they give you the option to make choices? I played the game and got through the tutorial Geralt's homestead. but have yet to make those choices. I chose yes to simulate the Witcher 2 save but feel like I'm missing out on something.

Why in the shit is counteracting on the PS4 so difficult? I can do everything else fine but is surprisingly difficult. Is there a manual online or something because the options menu does a shit job of explaining the controls.

Virdix

I see he's still fighting the good fight. :p

I'm all for varying opinions, but he kinda soiled his credibility due to his crusade against the game in previous Witcher threads.

And I still think it's funny someone with a DBZ avatar is ragging on something for "shitty" writing. xD

I'd be willing to listen to him if he wasn't going out of his way to hate on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom