• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

So this has probably been asked a number of times, but I'm not really sure how to search specifically for it so let's do it again.

I haven't played either of the first two games, with this one arriving tomorrow. I have the second one on Steam and might play it in the future, so if I want some backstory that is more "world building" than "previously, on The Witcher" where should I go?

What is the essential stuff to know about before starting on this one if I enjoy good lore in general?

How are the mouse and keyboard controls?

You can't rebind movement from WASD, nor can you rebind any of the keys that bring up the various menus. You may find the default strong attack (Shift+LMB) a bit awkward. There's no way to bind casting a sign to a key, you have to select it with one key and then cast with another. Geralt has a great deal of momentum in his movement. He takes time to start, stop, or turn.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, just did the Gwent tutorial. This game seems really cool.

Anung

Un Rama
The day/night cycle in this is so good. The first time it started raining with thunder and lightening my jaw dropped.

I see he's still fighting the good fight. :p

I'm all for varying opinions, but he kinda soiled his credibility due to his crusade against the game in previous Witcher threads.

And I still think it's funny that someone with a DBZ avatar is ragging on something for "shitty" writing. xD

I'm not sure I understand why someone who was already predisposed to hating the game would have spent $60 buying it...

Mr. Sunny

Banned
I see he's still fighting the good fight. :p

I'm all for varying opinions, but he kinda soiled his credibility due to his crusade against the game in previous Witcher threads.

And I still think it's funny someone with a DBZ avatar is ragging on something for "shitty" writing. xD

I only posted in one other Witcher thread and just gave my honest opinion. I only continued posting in that thread for a while because I was getting dogpiled on and felt the need to defend myself. I bought this game to see if I was wrong and I wasn't.

When do they give you the option to make choices? I played the game and got through the tutorial Geralt's homestead. but have yet to make those choices. I chose yes to simulate the Witcher 2 save but feel like I'm missing out on something.

You haven't missed it. It comes up a good bit after the start of the game.

I only posted in one other Witcher thread and just gave my honest opinion. I only continued posting in that thread for a while because I was getting dogpiled on and felt the need to defend myself. I bought this game to see if I was wrong and I wasn't.

Sorry you aren't finding it to your liking!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'd be willing to listen to him if he wasn't going out of his way to hate on the game
Yeah, when you go into a game with a preconceived negative agenda, it's really hard to find any redeeming qualities. I've been guilty of this sort thing unfortunately.

BFIB

So this has probably been asked a number of times, but I'm not really sure how to search specifically for it so let's do it again.

I haven't played either of the first two games, with this one arriving tomorrow. I have the second one on Steam and might play it in the future, so if I want some backstory that is more "world building" than "previously, on The Witcher" where should I go?

What is the essential stuff to know about before starting on this one if I enjoy good lore in general?

The OP has two retrospective links. Well worth a watch.

Leatherface

so far I'm loving the hell out of this game! (PC). Not too deep in and I've already done some interesting quests and uncovered a few secrets. Also messed around with the crafting system, which, by the way, is really nice! Anyway, what a big difference from the fetchiness of Dragon Age: Inquisition (which I still do like quite a bit regardless). Runs like a dream on my system as soon as I turn the "hairworks" off (although it looks kind of nice I suppose, it's not much of a difference to me and def not worth the performance loss).

My specs in case you are wondering:

i7 920 - overclocked to 3.8ghz
12g of RAM
780 GTX (3GB)
Running game at 1920x1080 at around 50-60fps on average

DOWN

Banned
Is there seriously no way to have the health bar fade out when just wandering? and no way to shut off the weather widget along?

Also it looks similar to, but only somewhat better than Black Flag on PS4.

RoKKeR

For those playing on modes where Meditation doesn't reset health, what are the best ways to keep your health up? Any tips?

Anung

Un Rama
I can also see why they put a soundtrack disc in every copy. The OST is so good. TW2 has an amazing soundtrack but this almost puts that to shame.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
With all the upcoming free dlc packs over the weeks, I'm kind of thinking of waiting until it's all out since I don't intend to play the game more than once really

Is there seriously no way to have the health bar fade out when just wandering? and no way to shut off the weather widget along?

Health bar fades out only when health is full which is stupid in my opinion. No way to get rid of the weather widget unless you take the map with it

Grasping at straws. I don't think they'd take a shot at a four year old game by referencing the title of the neogaf OT.

Honestly I think even saying that it's a shot at DAI's Mountain is reaching. DAI's balcony view didn't look bad.

It was entertaining to hear my own thoughts in Geralt's voice, though.

For those playing on modes where Meditation doesn't reset health, what are the best ways to keep your health up? Any tips?

Eat, drink, and don't get hit.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Holy shit this game is deep, even in the bloody tutorial. Nearly wandered off but caught myself and quickly steered back to actually getting on the horse. Also it is gorgeous, even on my 770. So crazy.

sorry, but I dont think many people will take your opinion seriously. If I remember correctly, you also said you hated Red Dead Redemption in a different thread....one of the most celebrated games of last gen. And now you hate Witcher 3, while I know its still early, one of the most celebrated games of this gen so far.

Played 3+ hours, the game is beautifull ( PS4 )

Really enjoying the character dialog.
The Npc aren't as expressive as i thought they would be but they are still making a damn good job of making feel the region alive.

The Computer cheats during the card game.. or maybe i have a shit deck ...
( or both )
Ennemy behavior is impressive.. Not the best i've seen but still above average..

So far so good.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
My game keeps locking up. Usually when I enter inventory, but sometimes when just riding on the horse.

Seems like the game runs for about 30 minutes between locks.

Any ideas?

EDIT: After some googling, it looks like I have to roll back drivers. God damnit NVIDIA!

Aces&Eights

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0djIPZURxQ

PS4 version impressions. Loving this game regardless of it's flaws. That other guy seems to be thread shitting for some reason.

I must admit, that whole super zoomy camera thing that happens when you do Witcher sense is really jarring. My biggest fear right now is the camera and the controls. I'm can handle walking in mud or being a little loosey goosey but that zoom/spin looks nausea inducing.

I really want to love this game as I love Elder Scrolls, Souls, most Third Person RPGs. I hope it was just the horrible YT compression.

Courage

Once you find the Swallow potion diagram, meditation will replenish those if you have some type of alcohol in your inventory.

That and a lot of food and drinks.

zkorejo

It does fade out when you are not in combat and have a full health.

I wish this game had that AC Unity "Press and hold R3 to hide HUD" feature.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anywhere to read up on what the hell has happened since the end of The Witcher 2?

This game's fucking awesome. Had to stop playing because of work tomorrow. Haven't even finished the prologue yet. I've cleared most of the little island - just a few more POIs to explore. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty which is challenging and sometimes a bit annoying due to the amount of damage enemies do, but otherwise fine with enough quen spam.

Some criticism: Combat is less different from W2 than I was hoping. Doesn't really feel too improved. It's more or less like a refined version of the combat mod. I still feel like there's a lack of iFrames on dodge rolls and not enough hit stun on both Geralt and enemies. The pirouette move on the ALT key is a bit better but still lacks iFrames (IMO) and doesn't always go in the direction I expect it to. That being said the animations and deaths are awesome and super satisfying.

Otherwise the story, quests, exploration, dialog, etc. are all top notch. I'm going to be playing this game for a loooong time.

I had to start over because I realized I imported the wrong Witcher 2 save (that list is USELESS... I ended up loading W2 to find the datestamp of the correct save). Oh well, I had just arrived in the first village and it didn't take too long to catch up when skipping everything.

BTW there's some people asking how to walk with the kb/m mouse controls: the ctrl key toggles walk/jog. Walking can makes it easier to loot some things and line up ladders and stuff.

Furyous

I found a huge glitch. The first item under combat is in another language that isn't english. Is this another character flaw of the game?

Hoping CD puts a remove all hud option in one button. Being able to customize is great but turning everything off then back on for screenshots gets tiring.

Terra_Ex

Played a few hours so far...

-Callbacks to the books are great, Yennefer and Ciri's intro and handling has been great so far.
-Combat and movement feel much more fluid, dodging is responsive and feels like this is the implementation they've been trying to nail since W2. No problems with the keyboard/mouse controls in this game.
-Ambient sound is really nice, particularly with a surround sound setup, hearing the wind rustling through the trees with the branches straining against the gale was pretty immersive.
-I can definitely feel the Gothic series influence as an inspiration in quest & world design, they seem to have struck the same balance here. No fetch quests so far and even minor plots unfold into something more. Geralt's new Witcher senses do much to actually further the notion that you are employing a witcher's skill set in solving the problems set before you, its quite the departure from past games and in a good way. The man wanting a box from the cart and scouting out the griffon's nest being two early examples of this.
-The general populous seems to view and treat Geralt with far more disdain than before, from scripted details to random NPC barks. Again this works in tandem with other improvements to underline a witcher's place in society and it works far better here than in previous games.
-Visually the game looks and runs great, at least on my PC.

Blizzard

Banned
PC version, the health bar fades out for me (at full health), but there doesn't seem to be any way to shut off the weather widget or the little step counter thing without turning off the minimap entirely.

I checked the user.settings file but didn't see anything there either. I want to keep the minimap but not the weather/step stuff. :(

Side note, there were two PC-friendly settings in the options: Having a different mouse sensitivity slider for menus than ingame is nice, and having the hardware cursor option is REALLY nice. The mouse felt pretty awful in menus otherwise.

epmode

I desperately need a way to only display subtitles of other languages. You miss out on the Nilfgaardian translations when you disable subtitles!

I'm confused. There's no cost to playing a unit in Gwent, right? So is there any reason NOT to just stuff your deck with your most powerful cards?

what are abandoned sites on the map? I dont see anything to do at them, other than loot useless junk. I dont understand why they are important enough to have a marker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom