• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG

Banned
I'm playing it on the next difficulty up from the lowest, and this is still hard. Maybe I'm just not used to the combat yet.

epmode

what are abandoned sites on the map? I dont see anything to do at them, other than loot useless junk. I dont understand why they are important enough to have a marker

I've found a quest-starting item in an abandoned village. Didn't have an exclamation mark or anything.

edit: Maybe it didn't start a quest? I duno, it's a journal being stored in the quest items area.

Acinixys

I knew this game was going to suck and decided to buy it anyways, I only have myself to blame.
mjcry1.png

This is an Ubisoft game with a Game of Thrones skin and slightly less shitty combat and writing (yes, I know it's based on books but it sucks in pretty much the same way that show does). That fact that this terrible game has a 92 on metacritic and has 1.5 plus million pre orders is absolutely disgusting.
scust.png

Why hello Ubisoft/Activision/EA employee

You are entitled to your own wrong opinion!

zkorejo

what are abandoned sites on the map? I dont see anything to do at them, other than loot useless junk. I dont understand why they are important enough to have a marker

There is something there most of the times. A material, money or diagrams. If not those things then there might be notes, guiding you to a treasure or a quest. Use Witcher senses. Or it could be nothing.

Anung

Un Rama
I must admit, that whole super zoomy camera thing that happens when you do Witcher sense is really jarring. My biggest fear right now is the camera and the controls. I'm can handle walking in mud or being a little loosey goosey but that zoom/spin looks nausea inducing.

I really want to love this game as I love Elder Scrolls, Souls, most Third Person RPGs. I hope it was just the horrible YT compression.

The shoulder camera/vignetting is rather cumbersome. Especially when moving fast and the controls feeling loose. I actually had to turn the camera sensitivity down.

Xbox one impressions here: onto my first hunt.

-great world
-great models
-immersive

Cons:

-single digit frames per second cutscenes
-controls. We knew it. There is no debate now that we've played it. They're bad, yet playable.
-geralt feels light
-animation

Single digit frames per second? Wow...

Was about to pull the trigger on a new gpu but my 680 is holding strong on ulta settings without hairworks or AA, quite surprising and it looks great on my plasma. Now just hope they patch in a dynamic HUD

How do I equp the torch? I have it in one of my slots but not sure how to use it?

Could it be that he gets it out during the night or when exploring caves and not during the day time?

zkorejo

No. You can ride others but only Roach is tied to Geralt (they stated this in a stream).

What if he dies? .. can he die? Anyone tried that? I always save him whenever he is being attacked by ghouls or drowners.

dont want to wander around on foot.

How do I equp the torch? I have it in one of my slots but not sure how to use it?

Could it be that he gets it out during the night or when exploring caves and not during the day time?

L1. Select Torch from the menu. R1 to equip/hide.

Do you have to spam quen?

Nope, I haven't used quen yet. Just dodge. Now that I'm getting better at the combat system (my first witcher game), its getting easier. But since every enemy does ridiculous amounts of damage, all it takes is one slip up to see your health tank by a massive percentage

No technical problems with me on the PS4 so far. Game looks beautiful. Side quests seem involved and all narratively rich. Menus are kind of a pain to navigate but I've used worse in RPGs. Text is waaaaay too tiny though. Witcher sense is really overdone. Horse controls are great and the best sense RDR.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm playing it on the next difficulty up from the lowest, and this is still hard. Maybe I'm just not used to the combat yet.
Same here. I got murdered by the very first beach enemies I found, twice in a row, on the second-to-lowest difficulty. I think I need to learn to dodge.

Why hello Ubisoft/Activision/EA employee

You are entitled to your own wrong opinion!

Folks, I'd like to advise that ignoring that post would be more productive than a reply like this. And I don't mean this as a moderation warning about courtesy (though you wouldn't be wrong to infer that as well). I more just mean that in terms of common sense in regards to how to keep the thread on track. I'm not entirely confident that Mr. Sunny is participating in good faith, but I'm also not eager to unleash the hounds and signal that no criticism shall be allowed in this thread.

But I do know that if you see that kind of post and suspect trolling is the aim, you'll do better to just ignore it and give it less attention.

Same here. I got murdered by the very first beach enemies I found, twice in a row, on the second-to-lowest difficulty. I think I need to learn to dodge.

remember to throw up Quen before every encounter. Basically allows you to get hit once without taking damage, cool down is pretty fast as well. Just constantly use it throughout fights

Quick question, maybe I missed it but what's the differences between rolling (A/X) and dodging (B/O) during combat?
And anyone having issues bringing up the steam overlay in game?

What a waste of $65 bucks (PS4 version).

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Shit combat (it makes Shadow of Mordor look like Bayonetta)
Bad Writing (To be fair this is on me because I watched trailers for this and played the second game, so I shouldn't be that surprised.)
Shit Textures
Crashes (It's crashed on me 3 times now)
Hud overload (that Bloodborne Ubisoft pic is sooooooo appropriate)
Awful framerate (especially cutscenes)

I knew this game was going to suck and decided to buy it anyways, I only have myself to blame.
mjcry1.png

This is an Ubisoft game with a Game of Thrones skin and slightly less shitty combat and writing (yes, I know it's based on books but it sucks in pretty much the same way that show does). That fact that this terrible game has a 92 on metacritic and has 1.5 plus million pre orders is absolutely disgusting.
scust.png

10/10 will read again

Nah, seriously, I expected most of this because, you know, it's a Witcher game. It's sad that some people are surprised, but it just doesn't bother everyone the same.

No technical problems with me on the PS4 so far. Game looks beautiful. Side quests seem involved and all narratively rich. Menus are kind of a pain to navigate but I've used worse in RPGs. Text is waaaaay too tiny though. Witcher sense is really overdone. Horse controls are great and the best sense RDR.

How is it that the tiny text on console is only coming up now? I'm not saying this should change reviews drastically or anything, but I heard no mention of this in any review up until now. I get my copy tomorrow from Amazon, I have pretty good sight and a big TV so I hope that I'm fine, but small text in an RPG is sort of a big deal for a lot of people.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Played about three hours so far - have been pretty much skipping all the side quests (I know, I'm an idiot), and have been focusing on the story. Progress:
I just killed the griffin and declined the king's gold reward.

Comments form someone who would rank The Witcher 2 as one of his Top Ten favorite games of all time:

The bad:

-The pre-menu into video is way cheesy; hate when they try to regurgitate the story so far in such a boring fashion
- My goodness is the Witcher Senses vision jarring
-Movement has a bit too much weight/momentum; I find myself running into walls and running past prompts constantly
-Doesn't run quite as well on my original Titan as I hoped. Averaging about 45-60fps at 1080p with a mix of high and max settings; that said, that's not the game's fault, and I'm glad I finally have a solid excuse to upgrade ;p

... and that's it, so far!

The good:

-Graphics are incredible
-This game oozes atmosphere - blowing trees, birds chirping, deer running, sun rays shining
-Voice acting is really solid
-Story is already engaging; so nice not having another "save the world from the big bad."
-Where the Witcher games have always excelled - with its characters - is here in full effect. Great, entertaining, and "real" main characters and side characters right off the bat
-Combat is FUN and challenging
-SO MUCH TO DO

... can't wait to play more tomorrow!

What a waste of $65 bucks (PS4 version).

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Shit combat (it makes Shadow of Mordor look like Bayonetta)
Bad Writing (To be fair this is on me because I watched trailers for this and played the second game, so I shouldn't be that surprised.)
Shit Textures
Crashes (It's crashed on me 3 times now)
Hud overload (that Bloodborne Ubisoft pic is sooooooo appropriate)
Awful framerate (especially cutscenes)

mjcry1.png

scust.png
If you don't like it, it's cool. It's your opinion so there is no need to further post things like that anymore. Sorry the game didn't live up to your expecions. Moving on..

AdanVC

I'm really frustrated with the controls. Despite that I like it a bunch and am thoroughly enjoying myself.

Well, here's another impression: I really like it so far. The controls/jankiness are a bit of a problem currently, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. That's really the only negative I've found so far.

The technical issues he's talking about are valid but everything else about the game is brilliant. Make sure to play on Hard.

I've been playing the PS4 version for 3 hours and I LOVE the game

Dude's crazy. The writing and Game of Thrones comments are especially nuts.

In related news, I don't think I'll ever get over people bitching about animations in a 100+ hour RPG. Developers can only do so much with the time they have. Not everyone has Rockstar's unlimited resources.

The controls are definitely a bit eurojank but it's a small price to pay for something like this.

Obviously we all have our own opinions, and one mans trash is another mans treasure but honestly hand on heart this game is nowhere near as bad as he has made out.

If it was, you'd have a lot more people mentioning it. The only "issues" you'll likely read about are controls which I imagine people will get used to, and graphical glitches and freezes that will likely get patched.

Now i don't want to come across as the Witcher defense force, this game isn't the greatest game ever, but it's nowhere near the garbage that guy has made out.

Thanks for sharing impressions! Glad to know most of the issues can be solved through patches. Pretty unfortunate about the funky controls tho. But a couple of hours into the game and I'm sure it will be good to go because for a game that is hundreds of hours long like this you sure need to get a decent combat gameplay so it doesn't become monotone... wich hope can be improved eventually.

He's been shitting on the game in multiple Witcher 3 threads before playing it. Don't worry about his opinion. Unless you value people's opinions when they go into games with a negative agenda.

Honestly none of the complaints have really surprised me or turned me off, they belong to pretty much every open world game at this point. Gotta expect dat jank. Biggest worrying points to me is if you can't pause during cut-scenes or the hud isn't customizable on PS4 like they said. I mean we seriously don't need a step count.

Unfortunately I won't be playing until later tomorrow, will give my impressions then.

I mean, yeah, the game definitely has its share of flaws, but I wouldn't pay mr sunny any attention.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0djIPZURxQ

PS4 version impressions. Loving this game regardless of it's flaws. That other guy seems to be thread shitting for some reason.

Now I feel more relieved. That guy impressions worried me but oh man why he has to be thread shitting :( Looking forward to read more impressions. So far so good!

Man the menu, inventory, shop, etc text is so teeny tiny I have to get up from my couch and walk up to my tv to read some things :( I really hope cdpr fixes this. Completely understandable for the text to be that small for pc players but if you're playing on a couch in front of a tv the text is just way too small. My only other complaint for now is the underwater swim controls, maybe I suck but it's impossible for me to make Geralt swim where I want him to swim, especially when trying to reach a sunken chest.

Besides these mild gripes the game is amazing.

So, I've started on the hardest difficulty because I am a man who does manly things!

To make the story short, I can't even get past the first fight with the ghouls. Three shots from one of them and I'm dead. I can't parry worth a crap and I'm terrible at counter attacking them.

Any tips for me other then stop playing on the hardest difficulty? I want to at least try to get better before I lower the difficulty.

Animator

I just finished the Griffin contract and this is already one of the best games I played. The characters are so fucking good. Hats off to CDPR.

Mr. Sunny

Banned
Folks, I'd like to advise that ignoring that post would be more productive than a reply like this. And I don't mean this as a moderation warning about courtesy (though you wouldn't be wrong to infer that as well). I more just mean that in terms of common sense in regards to how to keep the thread on track. I'm not entirely confident that Mr. Sunny is participating in good faith, but I'm also not eager to unleash the hounds and signal that no criticism shall be allowed in this thread.

But I do know that if you see that kind of post and suspect trolling is the aim, you'll do better to just ignore it and give it less attention.

Thanks for being understanding. My intention was not to troll at all, just giving a different perspective. I wont derail this thread anymore.

How is it that the tiny text on console is only coming up now? I'm not saying this should change reviews drastically or anything, but I heard no mention of this in any review up until now. I get my copy tomorrow from Amazon, I have pretty good sight and a big TV so I hope that I'm fine, but small text in an RPG is sort of a big deal for a lot of people.
For me, there is so much important info being displayed in the many menus that the text is not cutting it. I noticed it in Witcher 2 but then again I was playing that closer on a monitor. I'm playing this fairly far away on a TV. I guess most reviewers just have good eyesight? Or maybe it's just not a valid complaint for them? I wear contacts and can usually see most text in games but this is too small.

Thanks for being understanding. My intention was not to troll at all, just giving a different perspective. I wont derail this thread anymore though.

It didn't bother me any. Your points weren't super constructive, but reading negative impressions is sometimes more enjoyable than the enforced echo chamber of positivity that this place sometimes is.

For me, there is so much important info being displayed in the many menus that the text is not cutting it. I noticed it in Witcher 2 but then again I was playing that closer on a monitor. I'm playing this fairly far away on a TV. I guess most reviewers just have good eyesight? Or maybe it's just not a valid complaint for them? I wear contacts and can usually see most text in games but this is too small.

I just don't trust reviewers at all anymore. Most of them function as glorified advertisers for publishers.

Again, still looking forward to the game. Just surprised that this is just coming to light now.

Aces&Eights

41 years old and I'm laying in bed worrying about the controls of a video game, lol. My ex-wife was right, I'm insane. That said, are they Watch Dogs 3rd stage drinking game wonky or Dark Souls being played during a power surge wonky?

White Orchard

Love how the back story of Claer (first Witcher contract) is fleshed out through conversations while tracking the Griffin. How she was the Herbalist's friend. And the kind of insult she must have thrown at the Lord's son, based on the Hunter's back story.

Khezu

PC version here.
Hasn't crashed yet, most things on ultra at 60fps, turned off the weird hair thing.

So far it's pretty much what I expected, I like a lot of what surrounds the game, but the combat is still just not fun in anyway.

Also as others have said, movement feels off, it's been a long time since I played Witcher 2, but I don't remember it feeling this awkward.

Another random complaint, not a fan of the color palette, it looks off.

That sounds overly negative, but I don't regret the purchase, and will still probably have a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom