• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
He is stuck like this now. Reloading a save still had him in the ground, not moving. Anyone have any ideas how to get him out, or do I need to load an earlier save?

witcher32015-05-1901-nburj.png

One note for screenshots, if you hit escape out of the menu, the HUD will be gone for a brief moment before it appears again. You can screenshot in that time period if you are fast, without having to manually disable the HUD every screenshot.

Cathcart

What a waste of $65 bucks (PS4 version).

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Shit combat (it makes Shadow of Mordor look like Bayonetta)
Bad Writing (To be fair this is on me because I watched trailers for this and played the second game, so I shouldn't be that surprised.)
Shit Textures
Crashes (It's crashed on me 3 times now)
Hud overload (that Bloodborne Ubisoft pic is sooooooo appropriate)
Awful framerate (especially cutscenes)

I knew this game was going to suck and decided to buy it anyways, I only have myself to blame.
mjcry1.png

This is an Ubisoft game with a Game of Thrones skin and slightly less shitty combat and writing (yes, I know it's based on books but it sucks in pretty much the same way that show does). That fact that this terrible game has a 92 on metacritic and has 1.5 plus million pre orders is absolutely disgusting.
scust.png

This shit is hilarious.

Stiler

Can someone tell me about the notice boards? I grabbed all the papers on the first one I saw but only got like 3 quest out of the 9 or so papers that were on it. If you grab a non-quest notice does anything happen?

Don't want some weird consequence to happen because I hap hazardly grabbed something (IE one talked about villagers coming in for food rations and working the fields), so don't want to get like 10 hours into the game only to see that the villagers starved because they didn't know about the free food because I took down the note lol.

Corpekata

Banned
Can someone tell me about the notice boards? I grabbed all the papers on the first one I saw but only got like 3 quest out of the 9 or so papers that were on it. If you grab a non-quest notice does anything happen?

Don't want some weird consequence to happen because I hap hazardly grabbed something (IE one talked about villagers coming in for food rations and working the fields), so don't want to get like 10 hours into the game only to see that the villagers starved because they didn't know about the free food because I took down the note lol.

The non-quest ones are just for flavor and lore.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Nothing. Nothing in my inventory that could even be mistaken for what I should have got, and no one at that place that's willing to take it (that I don't have) from me.

Dangit.

I want my meager amount of cash and exp.
I guess you just got fucked.

He is stuck like this now. Reloading a save still had him in the ground, not moving. Anyone have any ideas how to get him out, or do I need to load an earlier save?

One note for screenshots, if you hit escape out of the menu, the HUD will be gone for a brief moment before it appears again. You can screenshot in that time period if you are fast, without having to manually disable the HUD every screenshot.

Try doing some other stuff that would maybe spawn him out of the ground, like a cutscene he has to be in or something?

jamster126

Neo Member
Wow. Incredible game. I spent about 3 hours roaming around the prologue area just exploring. Came across a hilarious woman who lost her pan, also stumbled across a random house that was empty but the floor boards were loose so I dropped down to a secret area where they had stashed alot of good loot....but one chest was locked....so came back later to find thieves were hanging around. Barely killed them, got the key and opened the chest to get the sweet loot. Awesome game...it s so hard to ignore those question marks on the map lol

bounchfx

quick question: is there any way to extend the time the 'recently received items' stay on the screen in the bottom left side of the screen? theyre in grey text, but they disappear faster than a second after they appear. I'm not sure what the point of it is in their current state, but they would be handy as hell if they didn't vanish so freaking quickly.

Stoze

P.S. If you're on PC and the controls feel janky, try going into the Graphics settings and turning on Hardware Cursor.

spk

2 questions

1- I'm using DS4tool with one of the front buttons bound to fraps screenshot. Every time I press it I get a control scheme change ui notice, is there any way to disable that?

2- Is there a reason my Steam overlay isn't working?

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Can anyone help me out?

Everytime I try starting the game Steam wants to in MS VC Redist. But during the installation my computer just reboots and crashes.

Anyone have any ideas

Cathcart

Anybody know where to get Salpeter ? (To make bombs)

Thread moving pretty fast so maybe someone already answered but here's one way to get it, just in case:

Early on in the main story you get sent to talk to an herbalist. She can sell you some. I'm not sure if she sells stuff right away or if you have to do her side quest first, though.

jamster126

Neo Member
My only problem at the moment is I wish the text size was bigger.....especially for items you pick up. Im on ps4 and squinting at the screen from my couch when I reading stuff. They can probably easily patch this though. Awesome game!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That quest early on to kill the noonwraith was what solidified how awesome this game is.

Also I was wandering around the beach and I found some people burying treasure, they got ambushed by drowners, I wiped em out but they were already dead.

New sword and gambeson out of the treasure though woohoo.

ufo8mycat

My only complaint so far is the enemies seem to stay around a certain radius of an area. if you run out the radius, the enemies will just go back instead of following you.

Unsure if its all like this.

TheFatMan

Just in case I'm the only person who after 6 hours just figured this out....

Swiping up on the DS4 touchpad auto-opens straight to the map screen.

(This was driving me insane)

Skyzard

Banned
Do the areas open up a lot more later on? I'm pretty early on and keep getting blocked off by an invisible perimeter which then tells me to teleport while I'm trying to explore a bit.

TheFatMan

Do the areas open up a lot more later on? I'm pretty early on and keep getting blocked off by an invisible perimeter while trying to explore a bit.

If you are still in the tutorial/prologue area then you are kind of locked in a mini zone at the moment. Once you finish it up the larger world maps will open up.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Also one quick thing - is leveling supposed to be slow? I think I put about 3-4 good hours in today and am just a silver away from being level 2. Normal? I've done a good amount of sidequests/exploring so assumed it's just a slow system.

I may be going about things the wrong way, but it does feel like xp is a bit inordinately weighted towards quest completions....either that, or I missed a lot in the first zone.

Got to the second zone, and the 'recommended level' for the next story quest is above my level by 1, and I can't seem to find lower level sidequests in the immediate vicinity.

Meanwhile, killing enemies give basically nothing, lol.

edit: Looking at previous posts, I apparently missed (spoiled just in case, first zone)
going to the herbalist in White Orchard by already having some of the required herb for baiting out the griffin
....that's....unfortunate, lol. Was wondering why that quest suddenly completed itself.

woober

Death March is hard as fucccck. I actually have to plan out the order of my quests and have the right items in my inventory for a fight. It feels like playing a real witcher's game.

Jolkien

Death March is hard as fucccck. I actually have to plan out the order of my quests and have the right items in my inventory for a fight. It feels like playing a real witcher's game.

Yeah I'm digging death march a lot too. I've already gotten way better I wiped a few time in early fights now I seem to manage.

Skyzard

Banned
It's past the training section at the start but I might still be in the prologue? Not sure, just had the first fist fight.

Will play more tomorrow but I'm enjoying it so far.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Played 4 hours of it.

My impressions

- Controls are horrid.
- Don't get the hype with the graphics
- Animations are terrible and janky
- Combat...
- Dialog and mission structure is boring me to death.

I hated the first 2 witcher games but the guy at EB game convinced me this is the best game ever made so I gave it a chance. Never again.

back to Bloorborne or Helldrivers.

edit: Game just crashed on me. Awesome.

The game looks fucking good. Obviously not as good as in 2013, but my 970 runs it like a champ.

One thing. Does anyone know how to get rid of that annoying message in the bottom left corner that says "switched to keyboard controls" or "switched to gamepad"?

Majmun

Just woke up. Have to go to work and struggle my way through it before I can play this game. This will be a looooong 8 hours...

In the first fist-fight, I was trying to dodge away and accidentally got on the horse during the fight.

I immediately got off and Geralt put himself into a corner and the other guy wailed on me, through the horse, while I could neither get on or escape because the horse was blocking the way.

It was my first "Oh, right, I remember The Witcher games now" moment in this game.

npa189

Just killed the Griffin, pretty fun fight

The character movement just feels off. idk what it is, but I thought it would feel better. The horse is just a pain in the ass and I keep hitting B when I mean to hit A in combat. The game is very pretty. Some bugs here and there, the inventory screen has caused 3 crashes for me, but other than that its been pretty flawless better than most launches in recent memory. 5hrs in, but its not grabbing me like I thought it would. Still fun, still like it, its still the witcher.

Blizzard

Banned

Try doing some other stuff that would maybe spawn him out of the ground, like a cutscene he has to be in or something?
Yeah, I went into a building and triggered a cutscene, and Vesemir showed up, so I saved and hopefully it doesn't happen again.

What does that do?
What does Hardware Cursor do exactly?

It gets rid of mouse lag in menus, since I guess it treats the mouse as a normal hardware cursor instead of something the game renders. I don't know if it affects non-menu stuff.

I'm having a blast playing the game but the technical issues and other smaller things are hurting it a bit for me.

The HUD customization is... poor. The issue is made worse by the fact that the HUD is awful. Large and Small for size doesn't really cover what I want. Minimap options are non-existent and I ended up just disabling the damn thing entirely. All I wanted to do was disable the leaf icons from showing up on it but I couldn't find anything on that.

Geralt's movement is sluggish because instead of instantly turning, he completes his turning animations which take time. Great in theory, poor in practice. Trying to navigate smaller areas or confined spaces becomes annoying as I continuously miss the item I'm trying to loot because Geralt's all over the place.

Everything else has been fantastic so far. Haven't even left the starting area. Just been exploring and trying to tackle everything that comes my way. Still level 1 somehow but I managed to take down a level 6 bear guarding a place of power, which was a pretty good fight.

So I've played TW3 for a couple hours now (PC version), and this has been my takeaway:
  • Gwent is the the best minigame in well over a decade; really, it's more of a metagame. What a cool thing to include seamlessly into Wild Hunt. It's a whole lot of fun to play, and it has an impressive amount of depth apparent from game 1.
  • Dem visuals. With hairworks enabled, and high-medium settings the game's utterly gorgeous. The expressiveness of the characters, beauty of the landscape, and ambiance from the audio combine to create an incredibly atmospheric game. It helps that everything save for tutorial messages are presented in-universe, which goes a long way to selling the whole package.
  • Witcher-vision and investigation are huge improvements over Batman's take on it, not to mention the previous Witcher games. It's easy to use, quick and informative, yet still challenging the player to stay aware of their surroundings. Aside from its seamless activation and smart use of colour-coding, including a sound bubble for noisy enemies is probably the best part. I daresay CD Projekt has solved the "detective vision" problem that has plagued Batman Arkham & company, by making it impractical to rely on, yet efficient enough to use at a whim.
  • The combat takes some getting used to, but the increased defensive options should make it more interesting than ever before. I particularly like Geralt's combat animations - very appropriate so far, or so it seems in my few encounters.
  • Movement is a little awkward with how Geralt (and Roach) steers himself around sometimes. Attack ranges are also escaping me so far. I suspect the problem is an issue of adaptation more than anything.
  • It's good to have Geralt back. I've missed being the ultimate badass.

What a great game.

Jolkien

Played for about 6 hours, I'm loving it so much so far.

Graphics are very good (mix of high and ultra, no hair works) on a 970 and I never dipped under 60 fps. The game just lok gorgeous.

Soundtrack is also very solid. I love the combat music so much.

Gameplay is a refined version of Witcher 2, they changed enough to feel much better but still retain what makes Witcher what it is, fight preparation. (Drop an Yrden trap, get Quen up, pull the monster). I also love what they did with the explose barrel and Ignii. Quite a few Drowners got dismembered this way.

I don't get the complains about the control, Geralt has some weight in his movement I find it quite nice. Lock on is good, fighting without it is also manageable (when you fight a pack of monster)

Ha ha ha ha ha.

What the fuck is it with fantasy games and bears being Kings of Universal Death?

Dragon Age: Inquisition, seven bears spawned every 5 seconds in those fucking woods and now in this game I'm tackling level 5 monsters at level one and cutting them in half and then I run into a bear at level 6 who takes no damage and cuts my life in half when he scratches his ass.

Bears man. Fucking bears.

NightOnyx

I've played for a few hours and so far I'm really liking it. The biggest thing I was worried about coming into the game was the combat because I hated the Witcher 2 combat to the point where I stopped playing it. So far my impressions on the combat in 3 is somewhat positive. It isn't the best combat system by any means, but I do like it enough. It does take some getting used to though, and is pretty janky. We'll see how my impressions change as I play more, but so far it gets a "meh" from me. It's good enough, but could have been a lot better and tighter in my opinion.

With that being said, everything else about the game so far has been incredible. I love the world, the story, the graphics, and even Gwent! The game is seriously gorgeous though, and I'm playing it on the PS4. The story is pretty interesting so far, and as someone who is mostly new to the Witcher lore, I find it pretty awesome. Even if the combat isn't the best, I still am having a blast with the game because of all of that, and that's all I really wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom