• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

Also played a total of 2 hours. During that playtime, I had the game crash 3 times on me. Twice it just got stuck, then when I alt-tabbed it became a black screen. Once it just CTD.

And no, I don't have anything overclocked, running 2x980 SLi and an i5-4670K.

Anyways, I love the visuals and world CDPR has crated here. Truly impressive, the game looks great.

However, I am having a really, really hard time getting used to controlling Geralt and Roach. Many have cited it as a matter of "getting used to it", but it's also just simply poorly executed. The controls feel janky and unpredictable, and combat only feels marginally improved from TW2. When compared to titles with great movement such as Bloodborne and DkS, the movement in this game is just jarring.

Jolkien

The new double dodge system is really clicking for me now! much improved over witcher 2

Yeah and I love how dodge is now tactical (more risk of getting it but your stamina don't stop regenerating). I have a much easier time now on death march if I dodge instead of roll when it's possible so I get to cast more signs.

KorrZ

That quest early on to kill the noonwraith was what solidified how awesome this game is.

Also I was wandering around the beach and I found some people burying treasure, they got ambushed by drowners, I wiped em out but they were already dead.

New sword and gambeson out of the treasure though woohoo.

Yep. That quest was really well done, it would be a main quest in most other AAA RPGs.

Done for the night but I'll be dying at work all day tomorrow waiting to play more.

viveks86

witcher32015-05-1821-39-32-9054539.png

witcher32015-05-1821-20-54-75.png

witcher32015-05-1820-26-23-35.png

witcher32015-05-1820-41-52-44.png

witcher32015-05-1820-25-48-27.png

witcher32015-05-1820-24-41-21.png

witcher32015-05-1819-51-48-42.png

witcher32015-05-1819-23-29-36.png

witcher32015-05-1822-01-21-4134b78.png

This game...

Jolkien

Ha ha ha ha ha.

What the fuck is it with fantasy games and bears being Kings of Universal Death?

Dragon Age: Inquisition, seven bears spawned every 5 seconds in those fucking woods and now in this game I'm tackling level 5 monsters at level one and cutting them in half and then I run into a bear at level 6 who takes no damage and cuts my life in half when he scratches his ass.

Bears man. Fucking bears.

Tip to handle that bear
Fight mounted on Roach you do a crap load more damage, just keep rotating

statham

Played 4 hours of it.

My impressions

- Controls are horrid.
- Don't get the hype with the graphics
- Animations are terrible and janky
- Combat...
- Dialog and mission structure is boring me to death.

I hated the first 2 witcher games but the guy at EB game convinced me this is the best game ever made so I gave it a chance. Never again.

back to Bloorborne or Helldrivers.

edit: Game just crashed on me. Awesome.

guy at EB must be a hell of a salesmen.

frontovik

Banned
Played 4 hours of it.

My impressions

- Controls are horrid.
- Combat...

I hated the first 2 witcher games but the guy at EB game convinced me this is the best game ever made so I gave it a chance. Never again.

Props to the EB game salesman for convincing you to buy the sequel to a series that you detest, lol. Your logic is amusing, but perhaps this will help you to be careful with your money ..

Hip Hop

Played 4 hours of it.

My impressions

- Controls are horrid.
- Combat...

This is my first game in the series, and this is how I feel so far. Didn't even bother going in far at all, it's like, I didn't want to. It felt like a drag.

Gotta pick it up again tomorrow I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
Ha ha ha ha ha.

What the fuck is it with fantasy games and bears being Kings of Universal Death?

Dragon Age: Inquisition, seven bears spawned every 5 seconds in those fucking woods and now in this game I'm tackling level 5 monsters at level one and cutting them in half and then I run into a bear at level 6 who takes no damage and cuts my life in half when he scratches his ass.

Bears man. Fucking bears.
Did you play Pillars of Eternity? It had a funny bear cave on the first non-tutorial map, which:
would completely destroy you if you tried it early.

Played a little of bit of tonight and I'm enjoying it. What I really like is that I am able to take down a baddy 2 or 3 levels higher than me, which is refreshing. I did fail a quest that I was no longer able to redo, which is kinda cool (had to chase down a liar but forgot to call my horse and he got away).

Can't wait to play more but need sleep.

Anfang

hey guys i finally found a use for steam screenshots

i think I like herbalism

0F8F6C06D81D02B4F3B1E8BF87DC1077818C5F63

And shes always like this when you go into the house or finish talking to her. Was kinda sad I didnt get to see the outcome of the swallow potion. Hoping something happens later

So I just vanquished the noonwraith and got it's trophy. Game is absolutely fantastic, but I'm disapointed that we don't see the actual trophy of the noonwraith on Geralt like you could in TW2. It's a small detail, but i'm disapointed none the less.

iqubal

Banned
Enjoying the game so far. I may be the only person , but I turn the music completely off in the game lol. I prefer the environment sounds etc. The music is good, but I found it too distracting in the overworld.

Moss

Doesn't work at all for me. As soon as it leaves the opening studio logo FMVs it crashes to desktop with the error "The Witcher 3" has stopped working.

vocab

This is my first game in the series, and this is how I feel so far. Didn't even bother going in far at all, it's like, I didn't want to. It felt like a drag.

Gotta pick it up again tomorrow I guess.

Welcome to playing the third game in a series where nothing makes sense and you have no attachment to the characters. I wonder how those weirdos who only played MGS4 first felt. I have to question why the guy who hated the first two games (who probably didn't even finish one of them) even bothered buying this.

Jolkien

So I just vanquished the noonwraith and got it's trophy. Game is absolutely fantastic, but I'm disapointed that we don't see the actual trophy of the noonwraith on Geralt like you could in TW2. It's a small detail, but i'm disapointed none the less.

It's there. It's on Roach ;) (Leathery bag for that trophy) You can get others ;)

After putting a few more hours into the game the controls have sort of grown on me, I disliked them at first but have gotten significantly better with them. I feel others who have stated that they disliked the controls will feel the same way after they play the game a bit longer.

Also I can't wait for cdpr to fixture the stuttering and text size, im sorry to hear that ps4 has crashes. I'm playing on the Xbox one and not including the frame pacing I haven't had any other technical issues with the game.

Edit: I hate that I have to press a when selecting a magic thingy while holding LB, wish I could just select powers like a radio station or weapon in gta.

Stiler

I'd like to point out for those who might not realize it , but in the first little village my ac instincts kicked in and I tried to parkour and to my surprise Geralt can actually climb just about anything in this game, including buildings.

Just hitting shift + space and you'll climb (or try to at least) just about anything if there's a part sticking out that he can jump up to.

GLgqDeC.jpg

For the GOG PC version, does anyone have a problem where it asks for a disk when you start it (but one is obviously not in the drive)? Clicking through it a couple times will just launch the game as if nothing happened.
Wish there was a better way to switch signs.

Agreed. Needing to click again to select it really throws me off every time I use it; it feels unnatural somehow.

ironcreed

Banned
I am truly amazed at the lovingly handcrafted feel of the world. The difference when developers take the time to build a world this way is unmistakable. All of the little details, so many variations in the lighting, the level design. It's all just so finely done.

Then of course there is the top-notch voice acting and story telling even in some of the side quests I have encountered thus far. It's pretty much in a class of it's own in terms of this kind of quality in a fantasy RPG. Just a purely top shelf production and I can already see how it's going to be a classic.

Lastly, I have to comment on the gameplay. A quantum leap better than the stiff and somewhat janky Witcher 2. The side step and roll feels so fluid, the swordplay is smooth and beautiful and the crossbow is a most welcome addition to round it all off. In short, encounters just feel fun now.

Overall, I am blown away by how much better everything is. I really cannot recall such a giant leap in quality between games by a developer and I really enjoyed TW2. But this is just oceans beyond it in every single way. Absolutely incredible game and you can tell it from the outset.

Omni

My first Witcher game. Really enjoying it so far.

The only thing that seems to be lacking is stealth mechanics. I'm level 3 right now. So when I run into five or six enemies in the forest who are all level 7, I have no hope. Like at all. Admittedly I've got the difficulty on the second highest, but still. I wish I could be a bit sneaky.

statham

yo, just started and got to the point, move slider until something is visible., its never visible. so now I'm playing with super bright everything.

2 questions

1- I'm using DS4tool with one of the front buttons bound to fraps screenshot. Every time I press it I get a control scheme change ui notice, is there any way to disable that?

2- Is there a reason my Steam overlay isn't working?
My steam overlay is not working as well.

JJD

Sooo found bug...

I'm trying to sell some junk and equipment to a guy and he takes my stuff and my money!

The dudes takes from my money the amount he should have paid to me! lol

How did they let this kind of stuff pass QA???

Jolkien

How do you people take screenshot ? I can't seems to find where the screenshot are. (Nothing in the GoG folder or in my documents it seems)

Jolkien

Sooo found bug...

I'm trying to sell some junk and equipment to a guy and he takes my stuff and my money!

Your money is completely at the top the money going down that you probably see is the marchant gold. They can't just buy a metric ton of stuff you wanna sell them at some point they don't have the money to take your stuff.

Kin5290

This has probably been answered already, but you answer the Witcher 2 save state questions immediately after leaving White Orchard.

Damaniel

Banned
Sooo found bug...

I haven't seen this, but I did see another bug. My horse actually ended up at the bottom of the river near a bridge where I was jumped by some drowners. I tried mounting it and it disappeared. I wish I had taken a screenshot.

That said, everything else has been flawless for me on the PC version. No crashes, no weird hiccups, and no other bugs or issues of any kind (yet).

Also, with a game of this scale, any QA effort is massive out of necessity, but still can't find everything. These kinds of things will get patched eventually.

Xtyle

Played a bit today on PS4.
Got some technical issues. Anyone knows a solution to this UI problem?

I play on a 55" TV and some text in the menu just appear way too small...like the item description when in tade menu.

I checked UI scaling and the UI is already set at large. The small text really bothers me because I can't read it easily from 8+ feet away

erawsd

Well I'm done for the night, I think I cleared everything in White Orchard. So far its easily lived up to the hype. The quests are awesome, the combat is a huge improvement over W2, and its just fun to run around and explore the world, which is something I thought I had "grew out of" with open world games.

I'm getting solid performance with my OC'd 7970 with everything at high. Overall, the game looks damn good. Some of the foliage does look bad, particularly the tall jaggey stalks that you can't help but notice. Also, can't make any sense out of all the chuggy during the pre-rendered movies. Other than that I've seen little minor visual bugs, but that comes with the open world territory as far as I'm concerned.

Biggest gripe right now is that friggin Controller/KB switching notification that keeps popping up for no reason. And why the hell can't you directly cast Signs? The "toggle signs" keybind doesn't seem to be working either.

Played a bit today on PS4.
Got some technical issues. Anyone knows a solution to this UI problem?

I play on a 55" TV and some text in the menu just appear way too small...like the item description when in tade menu.

I checked UI scaling and the UI is already set at large. The small text really bothers me because I can't read it easily from 8+ feet away

Small text is the most annoying thing to me about this game right now, there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom