• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtar86

If you played the Xbox 360 version of the Witcher 2 and forgot what choices you made, it clearly tells you in the description for the achievements. Helped me out a lot because I had totally forgotten what I did.

I actually made the text smaller... I guess it was poorly sized for both monitors and couch-play.
yo, just started and got to the point, move slider until something is visible., its never visible. so now I'm playing with super bright everything.

Happened to me, too. Set it in the middle at the start and once you're in game you can adjust it properly.

ironcreed

Banned
I played for over 6 hours straight on PS4. The only issue I saw was a stutter for a second or so during the start of a conversation and it has happened maybe twice. Other than that the game looks and plays fantastic.

JJD

Your money is completely at the top the money going down that you probably see is the marchant gold. They can't just buy a metric ton of stuff you wanna sell them at some point they don't have the money to take your stuff.

Yeah I know, my gold on the top is still going down when I sell then stuff.

I fast traveled to another location and I'm selling my stuff now.

So before I knew it I'd left kaer morhen right at the start.

Anyone know when you get to go back there and check it out and the surrounding areas in more detail or was I hasty and miss my chance? Didn't seem like any opportunity...

Edit: went back and tried everything, you can't.

Frillen

Just a tip. Once you're at a decent enough level to do a main quest, do it. The main quests give a ton more EXP than anything else, so if you feel you've been stuck at a level for quite some time, tackle a main quest.

Agreed. Needing to click again to select it really throws me off every time I use it; it feels unnatural somehow.

Yeah, I think it would be good if it had an option like Crysis, where you just flick it in the direction of the one you want to choose.

It's not too bad on kb&m, as you can choose them with hotkeys and use the scroll wheel as well.

Phased

So played it for a good 4-5 hours. Have a couple spoiler side quest related questions for people who have maybe gotten further into the Prologue/White Orchard, they're both very early quests, but still gonna tag them...

I did the Noonwraith/Ghost Well quest and loved it, but it felt pretty open ended with a line the guy left me about the Herbalist maybe knowing about the girl who becomes the Wraith. I see a poster up for her requesting Honey Combs, but I can't find her for the life of me.

Second side-quest related question in the White Orchard:
Found the 2 soldiers hiding out in the hut and went to find the guys brother like he asked. Went back to the hut and found the second soldier dead. Am I missing something or is it really just implied that he died from his wounds or am I missing a followup somewhere? Maybe it's the nature of it but I hate having things not wrapped up (for better or worse)

Overall I'm loving it, and I really didn't like Witcher 2. Combat feels great after I got used to it. Geralt definitely has a weight to him when he moves which took me a long time to get the hang of, but once I figured out the flow of things it just kinda clicked.

Jolkien

Just a tip. Once you're at a decent enough level to do a main quest, do it. The main quests give a ton more EXP than anything else, so if you feel you've been stuck at a level for quite some time, tackle a main quest.

Oh nice to know, thanks. I always have trouble balancing side activities and main quest in these type of game.

I'm liking playing on the hardest difficulty so far. It doesn't seem overly difficult, but forces you to actually plan what you're doing, use alchemy, think about the monster's weaknesses, etc. I found myself rarely planning things or worrying about potions in TW2 on the difficulty level I played that at.

Mrbob

Game is awesome but the lack of a TV mode in the PC version is a bit annoying. HUD size is set for a monitor only. Not playing on a home theater PC. Some text is too small. Hopefully this gets patched in.

Was fighting an enemy up a small ledge, done a side roll to dodge an attack and Geralt fell of the side cliff ( which wasn't thst high 10-15feet) and he died :(.

Hah, Geralt kept his dumb tattoo.
Never forget our blue stripes bros. it's dumb but a great memento.

Game is awesome but the lack of a TV mode in the PC version is a bit annoying. HUD size is set for a monitor only. Not playing on a home theater PC. Some text is too small. Hopefully this gets patched in.
Consoles are pretty much the same, they really need a patch across the board that allows to choose the size of text and HUD elements.

Exuro

I somehow went to work for 8 hours and then came home and played 6 hours of this. Game is really awesome so far. Crafting has been extremely useful which I'm glad to see. Been doubling the damage/armor of my gear just from crafting new equipment, although I can't seem to find where to get silver ingots to upgrade my silver sword(and i'd need a ton of silver dust to make them).

Feel like I've barely scratched the surface. One thing I've noticed is it seems like doing the main quest when you can is a good idea in terms of leveling so you can actually go and explore without getting one shotted by some crazy powerful mob. Doesn't seem to be a sense of leveled off areas, so some question marks could have a monster 5 levels over you while the monsters around it are less.

Also fall damage is way too high. I jumped off a 6 foot ledge and it took out half of my hp.

Vidpixel

I never understood why the UI is so terribly designed around these games. It gives you a 2001 game vibe.

I think that giant monstrosity of a life bar is the worst offender. Why would they make it so unnecessarily huge?

I still can't wait to dive into this tomorrow, though. Everything about this game seems to tick all the right boxes for me. Work is going to feel like an eternity...

komplanen

394€ - Just a regular black PS4 (normal price)
399€ - PS4 + Witcher 3 Premium Edition Game

Managed to grab the last available bundle available for online orders. Can't feel sad about a 64,90€ game for 5€ :) Especially when I would have ordered the console and game today no matter what. Super awesome!

Anfang

So played it for a good 4-5 hours. Have a couple spoiler side quest related questions for people who have maybe gotten further into the Prologue/White Orchard, they're both very early quests, but still gonna tag them...

I did the Noonwraith/Ghost Well quest and loved it, but it felt pretty open ended with a line the guy left me about the Herbalist maybe knowing about the girl who becomes the Wraith. I see a poster up for her requesting Honey Combs, but I can't find her for the life of me.

Second side-quest related question in the White Orchard:
Found the 2 soldiers hiding out in the hut and went to find the guys brother like he asked. Went back to the hut and found the second soldier dead. Am I missing something or is it really just implied that he died from his wounds or am I missing a followup somewhere? Maybe it's the nature of it but I hate having things not wrapped up (for better or worse)

Overall I'm loving it, and I really didn't like Witcher 2. Combat feels great after I got used to it. Geralt definitely has a weight to him when he moves which took me a long time to get the hang of, but once I figured out the flow of things it just kinda clicked.

herbalist is west and a bit north of orchard and when I did the brother quest I had them Both alive and guilted the brother who gave the quest into taking the nilfgardian in as he couldn't return home.

ironcreed

Banned
The quests make you feel like you are gradually uncovering more and build up so nicely. This also makes it feel great doing the smaller quests in order to level up for a bigger one. It's so well done that it just completely and utterly outclasses games like Dragon Age. And I love games like that, but once you eat a real steak, the cheaper shit you have been eating just does not taste as good anymore. It is what it is.

Jolkien

I love how inventory weight is much less of an issue this time instead of like in Witcher 2. I'm walking around with an arsenal of weapons and armor and I'm still fine.

I wish the controls were more simplified, too many unnecessary buttons.

I guess that's why there's always button prompts on the screen.

Gloam

I'm well below the minimum spec but thought I'd give this a go anyway. Computer shut-down within a minute of the tutorial. Running at about 15fps. I guess this will have to sit on the GOG shelf until a new PC comes along.

Greatly enjoying myself on PS4...just beat the
griffin
. World's really rich and interesting to explore. The
noonwraith
side quest had better writing and a more interesting story than most games' main plots can boast.

Some technical issues, as is expected. Ran into a graphical gltich where the water became flickery and tinged with black edges; it fixed itself after I submerged. Ran into a couple of freezing cutscenes too, though I've noticed no obvious frame drops in game Also, Geralt's movement seems far too finicky sometimes...I've had to walk back and forth over certain lootable objects multiple times before getting a into a position where I can actually loot the damn thing. Finally, underwayer controls are terrrrible...Geralt keeps doing unnecessary submerged backflips.

Calling it a night now; can't wait to dive back in in the morning.

DTKT

So, I seem to have misplaced my Witcher 2 save games. Is there a way to generate a new one or does anyone know of a repository of save games somewhere?

Or does that game account for that and allows me to answer during some sequence?

Shiokazu

WHY MUST I HAVE A LIFE TO ATTEND!? WHY CANT I SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE IN THIS GAME!?

cover%20face%202tiny.jpg

BTW, nice job CDred. jesus christ even running on mid/low the game is still beautiful but thats garbage IMO. What matters is the gameplay, fuck i went to fight a wolf, suddenly the fight looked like i was dancing with him, swift movements all over until the wolf fell dead over a quick blow. The gameplay is fantastic and the animations are fluid.

im loving it.

I think I missed a basic tutorial for this at some point, but how do I repair weapons? Im trying to find a blacksmith or something, but I dont see anything on the map other than grindstones, which dont seem to do it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I played for over 6 hours straight on PS4. The only issue I saw was a stutter for a second or so during the start of a conversation and it has happened maybe twice. Other than that the game looks and plays fantastic.

I think anyone who's played Bloodborne has learned to cope with studdering.

Is there an option to turn off notifications of what control method it switched to?

It seems to enjoy telling me I am using a gamepad at every new scene. I know. I'm holding it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Two questions (as I'm in Sweden and won't be playing until after work, like 10 hours from now):

1. Highest difficulty vs Souls/Bloodborne?

2. Are the choices in the OP confirmed to be the real ones? I'd actually like to know this going in, as I want to make sure I remember everything I did in TW2 correctly.

AzureFlame

Played 2 hours on DM yesterday and i really liked it, the atmosphere and ost damn.. this is my first time playing the Witcher.

Anyone having problems with the text size on PS4? I can't read the items description well, the text size is too small on my 50inch tv.

Not sure if I want to start on Death March and lose the incentive for a second playthrough. Has Blood and Broken Bones been sufficiently challenging to those that are playing on it? I want to think about fights strategically, but I also don't want to focus on constantly min/maxing stats in order to beat something.

Stiler

Yeah, I'm not really using them since switching is so cumbersome.

For the GOG PC version, does anyone have a problem where it asks for a disk when you start it (but one is obviously not in the drive)? Clicking through it a couple times will just launch the game as if nothing happened.

Agreed. Needing to click again to select it really throws me off every time I use it; it feels unnatural somehow.

Eh? I was browsing the controls options and the signs have hotkeys, I haven't tried it that way myself but I assumed you could simply click the hotkey to select that sign and then just hit q to cast it, or am I wrong?

I never understood why the UI is so terribly designed around these games. It gives you a 2001 game vibe.

The main eyesore is the health bar.

However for the most part the UI gives you PLENTY of options to turn things off, rescale it, etc.

I have most everything off on mine cept the bloody healthbar that you can't for some reason turn off or make smaller/move it.

Frillen

I think I missed a basic tutorial for this at some point, but how do I repair weapons? Im trying to find a blacksmith or something, but I dont see anything on the map other than grindstones, which dont seem to do it.

Either at blacksmiths or with weapon kits. Where are you?

Phased

herbalist is west and a bit north of orchard and when I did the brother quest I had them Both alive and guilted the brother who gave the quest into taking the nilfgardian in as he couldn't return home.

Weird, no clue why one of the people in the hut was dead for me when I returned. I wasnt even there for it. Thanks for the location to the herbalist it was driving me crazy.

Pro

How do I get the Steam pre-order bonus content? I tried restarting the Steam Client but it's not downloading any new content?

SeyD2Dc.png

7hrs on the steam clock already, game is so good. Continues the tread of Witcher games having excellent writing. Love how the side quests weave into the main plot or have something to do with the happenings of the world. Picked the second hardest difficulty and i'm having a blast. Cleaned all of the point of interests in
White Orchard
was kinda hoping i'd get a quest or something after doing them all but it was still fun.

Have 2 questions, one story and one gameplay, First gameplay, anyway to see what buffs you got going if you shut off the buffs on the hud? Second question, is about plot, mostly Witcher 1 and 2 stuff but did 1 and 2 talk about Yen or Ciri? Yen I heard of and have a vague idea of who she is but Ciri? No idea who she is besides
Emperor of Nilfgaard saying it was his kid, and geralt said he seen the Emperor of Nilfgaard before but I dont remember that in the first 2 games. Also how does a daughter of an Emperor end up in a Witcher School? Is this just book stuff? If so they could of done a better job explaining it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom