• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoodlePro

Never played any of the witcher games, but I do want to pick what happened in the previous games. Do I select simulate events on or off?

I only spent one hour with it as it unlocked late and I had work in the morning. Truth be told if it wasn't for the Gwent crash, o would've probably not went to work haha.

For new page, I really need to know as I started with the simulation put to off, thinking if I chose on the game would randomly pick the choices for me.

hlhbk

I have to be up for work in 6 hours. The Witcher has sucked me in hardcore. I haven't felt this need to see what is next since Oblivion!

Dresden

I found it regen too slow. Not sure if lower difficulty gives you more natural regen but I have 14 vitality regen with that skills. I ended up not taking it for now.

It's ten additional vitality regen, which is enough to top you off between battles. Better than perpetually munching on food at least.

Frillen

Is he only way to heal in this game to eat food? No inns or sleeping to get to full health? I'm playing on hard, so no meditation healing for me.

Make a potion called Swallow. You will automatically refill three of them every time you meditate.

Jolkien

Make a potion called Swallow. You will automatically refill three of them every time you meditate.

Assuming you have alcohol to replenish them. It use the same amount if you meditate 1 or 3 of them it's always 1 alcohol.

Speaking of meditating to make new potion I wonder what's the use of all these herbs after you made it. I guess if you go to a distant region you can sell these herbs for moeny since they don't grow there ? Not sure what's the point of gathering them once you made your potions/bombs etc.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
PROTIP: you can use the right stick to quickly switch between Geralt's inventory and a shopkeepers goods. It's not listed in the UI on screen but it's sooooo much better than shuffling the cursor across the screen.

Also looting sucks. Way too finicky to actually line Geralt up with objects and most animations disrupt the ability to loot, so no run-by gathering. You have to full stop and fiddle with the momentum hank to pixel grab. I kind of hate it, w2 was just as bad as well.

Great fun otherwise.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So how do you get to the castle ruins in white orchid? I've been around the whole area twice and I can't seem to find a way to climb up there.

Blizzard

Banned
I am probably crazy, but the voice actor for Vesemir reminds me of Skyrim's Jarl Balgruuf. I checked to make sure they were different.

Chaos17

I only posted in one other Witcher thread and just gave my honest opinion. I only continued posting in that thread for a while because I was getting dogpiled on and felt the need to defend myself. I bought this game to see if I was wrong and I wasn't.

Still, you already had the experience with this serie wasn't for you and you still pay it full price in case the serie will magicly suit your taste ?...
scust.png

Alej

Banned
So after sinking 4hrs into it tonight and doing a few of the first quests (on hardest difficulty) here's my initial thoughts on PS4

-The world and graphics so far look amazing, the weather changes and time of day look fantastic. The world feels and looks alive, it's not static feeling and after beating DA:I I think this is a huge improvement.

- VS DA:I crafting and inventory is miles better and no where near as frustrating.

-Quests so far feel varied and have a purpose and give satisfying results upon completion.

-Combat for me so far is the weakest link, but I know it's because A: I have never played a witcher game before and B: I just finished getting a platinum in Bloodborne so combat is going to take some getting used to lol

So far very impressed and engulfed in the gameplay, I thought I'd be burned out after finishing up DA:I but it really feels like a much better game overall in my opinion so far.

Extremely similar impressions here on hardest difficulty since Saturday.

Then, I have to say, combat is not that bad you'll see, coming from Bloodborne too and yes, it seemed like a mess at first but it ends up being pretty enjoyable after you get used to.

It's a damn polished game in terms of gameplay designs. I play without map and without quest (in fact everything in the right half of the screen is disabled) on hardest difficulty and, while it's pretty engaging (I killed the "first boss", you know the flying beast ^^ a little unprepared and it was painful lol), I'm really enjoying so much, it's even better than Bloodborne. I'm searching through the world in order to progress (and making the world evolve too) and I have, you know, that Souls game feeling when you find something "hiding" for you to discover yourself. It's great. I have to find "ways" to progress and not engage packs of enemies (or simply enemies too powerful for me) while searching for power.

And when you search for power in an RPG, furthermore open world, greatness is delivered. Thanks based CDPR.

danowat

Banned
Quite disappointed by how movement and combat feels, feels very light and floaty, no sense of inertia or momentum, feels like I am hitting the enemies with a feather.

I like the difficulty, died twice within the first 30mins!, and I also like the fact that, on the difficulty I am playing, you can only heal by eating.

Is there any way to extend the duration of the notifications that appear when when looting or in combat? By the time I look at it whenever I actually want to see some bit of info, it's already vanished. I don't think they have more than a one second duration.

Mikeside

I had pre-loaded on Steam, but when trying to boot the game this morning, a process (The Witcher3.exe or whatever) was running in the background, but it didn't even flash up to show it had started.

To fix, I had to reverify the game cache - just posting in case anyone else has this issue

ufo8mycat

So for those people who have sunk in a lot of hours into The Witcher 3, and have experimented with the difficulties 'Blood & Broken Bones' & "Bloodmarch'.

I am torn between these 2 difficulties

I started with Bloodmarch but seriously got owned by the first battle in the game, so I put it down to 'Blood & Broken Bones' and it felt right while still difficult.

But my concern is if I leave it at 'Blood & Broken Bones', I don't want it to start getting really easy as I level up. I would like it so it gets less harder but still challenging. Does this level offer this, or does it get really easy when you start leveling?

Otherwise I will set it back to Bloodmarch.

Hammer24

Banned
This game is so brilliantly written; there is so much stuff to do - I don´t know yet when I´ll be able to even get out of White Orchard...

Bout 2 hours in on the XB1. Only stuttering I seen was weirdly the opening CGI video.

The graphics are way better than I expected, the amount of detail mixed in with the amount of objects on screen is pretty incredible, walking through the first town it's so immersing seeing people cooking their dinner through the windows then as night approaches the family gathers around the dinner table.

Also the day night cycle is the best I have seen also time doesn't move too fast, it seems to be about 4-5 seconds = 1 ingame minute.

G_Berry

Banned
Horrible first impression so far (ps4). Boot game, watch initial intro, start intro movie and title screen theme glitches and plays over intro music in the background then after the intro is over the game just never loads. Nice.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone with a non-complete imported save file from Witcher 2 already been at the point where the save file simulation dialog takes place? My imported save is a manual save right before the last decision in W2 (
Letho
) because I forgot to backup the autosave after the decision. When I import this save, will I have the option to simulate only that last, missing decision? Or would it be better to not import a save at all and simulate the decisions I made? I don't have W2 installed anymore unfortunately and downloading would take forever.

The scale and spectacle of TW2's prologue was pretty awesome, but I actually vastly prefer the quieter, more personal prologue of TW3. I love just wandering around and doing Witcher shit with Vezemir in a small town.

It's reminiscent of TW1 and feels more like what a Witcher should be doing, rather than playing the political game. (Although I realize that Geralt being sort of trapped in the political machine was an important story aspect. I just prefer TW3's approach.)

Has anyone played far enough to see big changes based off Witcher 2 decisions? Specifically those who imported saves from the Witcher 2 via the PC version. Extra bonus for those who imported saves from the Witcher into the Witcher 2 into the Witcher 3 :D

Just got to the part where the game opens up so I'm hoping things start getting referenced outside of my relationship with Triss.

Doikor

So for those people who have sunk in a lot of hours into The Witcher 3, and have experimented with the difficulties 'Blood & Broken Bones' & "Bloodmarch'.

I am torn between these 2 difficulties

I started with Bloodmarch but seriously got owned by the first battle in the game, so I put it down to 'Blood & Broken Bones' and it felt right while still difficult.

But my concern is if I leave it at 'Blood & Broken Bones', I don't want it to start getting really easy as I level up. I would like it so it gets less harder but still challenging. Does this level offer this, or does it get really easy when you start leveling?

Otherwise I will set it back to Bloodmarch.

I'm playing on bloodmarch. The first fight was annoying because the save point was before the conversation. Took 6 tries to get trough it. It was the first fight with multiple enemies so took a bit of learning. After that everything has been fine. Just have to remember to quick save a lot. Also can't imagine playing on a console with bloodmarch after hearing the load times (load times on my pc are ~2 seconds vs 40+ seconds on consoles) with the amount of dying involved.

Chariot

Question for people who did certain choices in W2

If you have stabilized Temeria in W2 as much as you could, did it still fall the Black Ones? And if you did the opposite, where everything was for grabs, what happened then? I am interested in the difference in choices. I assume it's not terribly different, but hope remains.

Phionoxx

How do you start to take advantage of the first free (2) items of DLC? The beard pack and armor set? I installed them via GOG Galaxy but haven't noticed them being activated in game at all yet. I am still in the first area, maybe I have to progress further in the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom