• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember how to check how much time you've put into the game? I remember seeing it somewhere in the menu/tabs but can't find out where it was. PS4.

aliengmr

So, on PC, a couple small things I really like and don't like.

1. love skippable intros. Really can't emphasize this enough. Its petty, but if you want to get into my good graces from the start, skippable intros are a great start.

2. Diggin Geralt's walk animation. It fits and its doesn't feel like a snail's pace.

3. Not feeling the audio. Music's great, but in general the audio is meh.

I don't know what happened to Dandelion but I really don't like the voice change during the loading screens. If that is indeed him.

5. The characters are really some of the best I've seen with regards to uniqueness. And the animations are spot on as well.

1. love skippable intros. Really can't emphasize this enough. Its petty, but if you want to get into my good graces from the start, skippable intros are a great start.

I absolutely agree, especially for replayability. Nothing worse than a long intro and tutorial that you can't skip when replaying a game.

So apparently at the very beginning of the game the crystal bird skull that you see in the opening movie can be picked up as a quest item, but once you kill the griffin it's gone.

Anybody have any idea what this thing does, is it worth it to go back and load an older save game and lose 2 hours of progress for it?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quoting myself, as I'd really like to have this answered:

Two questions (as I'm in Sweden and won't be playing until after work, like 10 hours from now):

1. Highest difficulty vs Souls/Bloodborne?

2. Are the choices in the OP confirmed to be the real ones? I'd actually like to know this going in, as I want to make sure I remember everything I did in TW2 correctly.

Anyway to abandon quests? I am on one and for the life of my can't continue to the next part.

I am on PS4.
Can't you just choose another quest to follow in the quest menu? Or is it one of the primary quests?
When you finish a subquest, the game jumps right back to the active main quest, if you want to do another subquest, you have to select it in the quest menu ... that's how i got it.

So, having played for about 2 hours yesterday, made a few subquests, played gwent, rode around the landscape, i have to say i'm very impressed with the worlds immersion. For me, that HAS to be the standard for RPGs/Action Adventures/ARPGs. I hope Nintendo takes this game as a guidline for the next Zelda, with the guys at Monolith Software bring in the technical part.

The battle-system was a little hurdle in the beginning, coming from Bloodborne and the Castlevania GBA/DS games i'm replaying atm. Once i realized, that the battles need to be taken slowly, it became manageable and rather satisfying, guarding/using the counterattack instead of rolling like a Ninja in Bloodborne/Souls, as the characters turning is way slower and can be a massive opening for enemy attacks.
I think it is comparable to the Souls-combat, just more slow. And both have in common that a simple Ghoul can be your end, everytime. ^^

Gotta say, the beginning was already good, since games tend to get better as they progress, i think i'm in for a treat.

Vintage

Probably already answered, but is there a quicksave option? Pressing F keys on keyboard opens different menus, can't find any related key bindings in setting menu. It would be cool to have quicksave on controller too, like holding start button.

Phionoxx

So apparently at the very beginning of the game the crystal bird skull that you see in the opening movie can be picked up as a quest item, but once you kill the griffin it's gone.

Anybody have any idea what this thing does, is it worth it to go back and load an older save game and lose 2 hours of progress for it?

I picked this item up but am still messing around in White Orchard, so have no idea if it ends up being significant or not. I can confirm it goes into your inventory as a quest item though and can't be sold or dismantled.

Hasney

Amazon UK are sold out of the PS4 version and Game are sold out of both PS4 and XB1. I think this might blow expectations out of the water.

EDIT: Might be a bug on game.co.uk

Quite disappointed by how movement and combat feels, feels very light and floaty, no sense of inertia or momentum, feels like I am hitting the enemies with a feather.

This is really disappointing to hear. I wonder just how much I'll feel that way about it, especially when I'll be alternating between this and the last portion of Bloodborne.

How do i remove the obnoxious time of day/weather icon from the hud? I have a feeling i can't with removing the entire mini-map. There are some weird design decisions in this game.

Quoting myself, as I'd really like to have this answered:

Not sure on the second one. On the first question, I'd say it's very hard to compare the difficulty of Souls/Bloodborne to TW3. (I'm playing on the highest difficulty, and about 7 hours in.) Soulsborne games have very precise mechanics, and the difficulty largely stems from mastering controls, timing, and dodging. (Which is why things like base level runs are perfectly feasible if you have a strong enough grasp of the combat mechanics.)

With TW3 the combat mechanics are not nearly as refined or precise, so the difficulty comes more from planning (preparing potions, researching the monsters, using the correct perks, etc). Getting better at the fighting mechanics is part of the challenge, but it's not a consistent way to overcome challenges, so you need to utilize the other RPG aspects that the game focuses more on.

That's my opinion at least.

danowat

Banned
This is really disappointing to hear. I wonder just how much I'll feel that way about it, especially when I'll be alternating between this and the last portion of Bloodborne.

I think I've probably been spoiled with BB, everything just feels so weighty and meaty in BB.

f@luS

More than a member.
Yeah feels clunky and floaty. Like old pic games. Animations is really so-so. But overall it's quite good

Extremely similar impressions here on hardest difficulty since Saturday.

Then, I have to say, combat is not that bad you'll see, coming from Bloodborne too and yes, it seemed like a mess at first but it ends up being pretty enjoyable after you get used to.

It's a damn polished game in terms of gameplay designs. I play without map and without quest (in fact everything in the right half of the screen is disabled) on hardest difficulty and, while it's pretty engaging (I killed the "first boss", you know the flying beast ^^ a little unprepared and it was painful lol), I'm really enjoying so much, it's even better than Bloodborne. I'm searching through the world in order to progress (and making the world evolve too) and I have, you know, that Souls game feeling when you find something "hiding" for you to discover yourself. It's great. I have to find "ways" to progress and not engage packs of enemies (or simply enemies too powerful for me) while searching for power.

And when you search for power in an RPG, furthermore open world, greatness is delivered. Thanks based CDPR.

Awesome! I can't wait to get back into it tomorrow night, thanks for the feedback, I am glad the combat works out and yeah I completely agree that you have to pick your fights and be prepared before diving into a group lol I found out quickly that thing's go bad without some planning ahead haha

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The game has frozen twice already in the inventory screen. WTF? I'm sure that I am not the only one with this problem. Is there any solution?

G_Berry

Banned
The game has frozen twice already in the inventory screen. WTF? I'm sure that I am not the only one with this problem. Is there any solution?
I cant even get into the actual game! Title screen music glitches over the top of the intro music then the game just never loads!

bounchfx

I've started to find Geralt talking to himself while out exploring and tracking things hilarious. I love the camera zooming around him and watching him speak aloud in the middle of a cave or forest to himself.

Quite disappointed by how movement and combat feels, feels very light and floaty, no sense of inertia or momentum, feels like I am hitting the enemies with a feather.

Yeah, some big control issues, i was hoping that by now cd projekt would understand the finer points of how a third person game should control and animate, but nope... Jank-city.

danowat

Banned
BB is far superior to TW3 in combat. I just played a bit before TW3.

It's possibly an unfair comparison, as they are fairly different games, but it's hard not to draw a comparison as they are two "hit / parry" combat games that I've played close together.

That said, there is nothing as good looking as Yennifer in BB!!!!

bombshell

Whereabout on the map did Geralt and Vesemir rest in the beginning?

I'm still very early in the game, so I'd like to go back and pick up the crystal (I had no idea it could be picked up), but I didn't pay attention to where exactly on the map the starting place was.

ufo8mycat

Anyone else resorting to meditation to restore health instead of items

Is that the only point of it?

This is the primary reason I don't want to play on the lower difficulties, as I see myself abusing Meditation just to heal.

To be honest, the higher difficulties where meditation does not heal you, makes you more cautious, plus only being able to heal with Food/Drinks.

Meditation also allows you to fast forward the time of day

Even current Polish president said today, that he knows what he will be doing when election silence will occur in a few days, while commenting receiving his witcher copy. He also mentioned that he will have to give Obama a copy of this game to "refill" his collection :D

http://tvn24bis.pl/z-kraju,74/komorowski-juz-wiem-co-bede-robil-w-ciszy-wyborczej,543603.html
I'm counting on Obama to put some diplomatic pressure to increase that font size. Petition your congressmen, people!

My recommendation is to try and not compare TW3 to Souls/Bloodborne if you can help it. The combat is nowhere near as refined as From's games, of course. It's too bad, but it's not really much of a surprise, given TW1 and TW2. Combat has never been a focus of these games, so it's helping me to play without expecting much from the combat. TW1 is one of my favorite games and is the clunkiest of them all. (Although I still think that the timing based combat with the 3 fighting styles was quite fun in that game.)

To be completely fair, there's really no other RPG that has combat mechanics that are anywhere near as good as Bloodborne. It's an unfair comparison, IMO. Just like how Bloodborne doesn't have anywhere near the graphical fidelity of TW3, or the amazing open world, and has only a tiny sliver of the amount of content.

They're two very different games trying to achieve very different goals (and I like them both for different reasons).

I am so jelly and salty of you guys right now, my copy only gets in stock tomorow and then I have to wait for it to ship out and reach me.. So at the most I can only play it by Saturday/Sunday.

So tempted to buy the digital version and play it right now until my disk comes in :(((

Whereabout on the map did Geralt and Vesemir rest in the beginning?

I'm still very early in the game, so I'd like to go back and pick up the crystal (I had no idea it could be picked up), but I didn't pay attention to where exactly on the map the starting place was.

Near the Crossroads signpost. To the north of it.

Mogwai

Yeah, some big control issues, i was hoping that by now cd projekt would understand the finer points of how a third person game should control and animate, but nope... Jank-city.

At least there's some confirmation about my doubts for Wild Hunt. It's really a shame that CDPR doesn't put more effort into making combat feel "good". Obviously, the team spent a great deal of time to make a beautiful world. But why not spend a little time on the actually gameplay. Seems like if gameplay doesn't get nailed down in the first entry of a series, it will most likely never turn into some great.

It also makes me question reviewers once again. As long as you have a pretty open world a game is set for a 9 or 10. Doesn't seem like gameplay detracts much, if anything at all these days.

At least there's some confirmation about my doubts for Wild Hunt. It's really a shame that CDPR doesn't put more effort into making combat feel "good". Obviously, the team spent a great deal of time to make a beautiful world. But why not spend a little time on the actually gameplay. Seems like if gameplay doesn't get nailed down in the first entry of a series, it will most likely never turn into some great.

It also makes me question reviewers once again. As long as you have a pretty open world a game is set for a 9 or 10. Doesn't seem like gameplay detracts much, if anything at all these days.

Sounds just like the GTA series. Amazing world, poor controls.

valkyre

So I just realized I effed up and chose not to simulate witcher 2 save... I am in 4 hours into the game. Do we have any idea what the default choices are?

for example : W2 related choices:

what is the default choice? Yorveth or Roach and is Letto alive or not?
Basically those are the most important choices for me. I can live with the rest.

If anyone can answer this he will essentially save me 4 extra hours of my life...

Majukun

Can you return to the first zone later or it is best to finish all the quests there before going on with the main one?

Yeah, the majority of what I saw in reviews was just "the combat is better" without any in depth looks at the actual mechanics and some of their problems. Wish I had read one that actually focused on the game's mechanics (although I am still enjoying the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom