• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not sure on the second one. On the first question, I'd say it's very hard to compare the difficulty of Souls/Bloodborne to TW3. (I'm playing on the highest difficulty, and about 7 hours in.) Soulsborne games have very precise mechanics, and the difficulty largely stems from mastering controls, timing, and dodging. (Which is why things like base level runs are perfectly feasible if you have a strong enough grasp of the combat mechanics.)

With TW3 the combat mechanics are not nearly as refined or precise, so the difficulty comes more from planning (preparing potions, researching the monsters, using the correct perks, etc). Getting better at the fighting mechanics is part of the challenge, but it's not a consistent way to overcome challenges, so you need to utilize the other RPG aspects that the game focuses more on.

That's my opinion at least.

Yeah, sounds like TW2. On the other hand, reviewers have said that TW3 is quite a bit easier. Hmmm, hard or very hard? Maybe I'll start on the highest difficulty, and then drop down to hard if it feels too frustrating. OOOR do I save very hard for a second playthrough? Damn these decisions!

YoodlePro

So I just realized I effed up and chose not to simulate witcher 2 save... I am in 4 hours into the game. Do we have any idea what the default choices are?

for example : W2 related choices:

what is the default choice? Yorveth or Roach and is Letto alive or not?
Basically those are the most important choices for me. I can live with the rest.

If anyone can answer this he will essentially save me 4 extra hours of my life...

Sorry for you mate but you just saved me a lot of time. I'll start a new play through with sim on now

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
At least there's some confirmation about my doubts for Wild Hunt. It's really a shame that CDPR doesn't put more effort into making combat feel "good". Obviously, the team spent a great deal of time to make a beautiful world. But why not spend a little time on the actually gameplay. Seems like if gameplay doesn't get nailed down in the first entry of a series, it will most likely never turn into some great.

It also makes me question reviewers once again. As long as you have a pretty open world a game is set for a 9 or 10. Doesn't seem like gameplay detracts much, if anything at all these days.

Maybe CDPR just wanted to stay true to the series but TW3 has reached mainstream status and now people are expecting more user friendly and approachable gameplay?

Yeah, sounds like TW2. On the other hand, reviewers have said that TW3 is quite a bit easier. Hmmm, hard or very hard? Maybe I'll start on the highest difficulty, and then drop down to hard if it feels too frustrating. OOOR do I save very hard for a second playthrough? Damn these decisions!

Yeah, it's a lot like TW2. I expected more combat changes given what I had read from reviews, but it still seems to have the same "clunk" as it's predecessor.

I'm doing the highest difficulty and it's been a challenge so far, but nothing too frustrating. But I am not very far yet -- so if I run into anything that's just annoyingly difficult (like that damn Operator fight in TW2) I'll probably move it down a notch.

Braag

I imported my Witcher 2 save and
apparently I had forgot to remove the neck tattoo you get in CH1 before finishing the game and Geralt has that tattoo in TW3 as well now, which is odd because I'm at the tutorial which is supposed to take place before the events of TW1 and 2... so before he ever got a tattoo while drunk.

apparently I had forgot to remove the neck tattoo you get in CH1 before finishing the game and Geralt has that tattoo in TW3 as well now, which is odd because I'm at the tutorial which is supposed to take place before the events of TW1 and 2... so before he ever got a tattoo while drunk.

Well..
the tutorial is actually a dream, so it kind of makes sense that he would still have the tattoo in it.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any way to extend the duration of the notifications that appear when when looting or in combat? By the time I look at it whenever I actually want to see some bit of info, it's already vanished. I don't think they have more than a one second duration.
I wish there were some sort of log for this, tips, and combat. Maybe like the Knights of the Old Republic games had a combat log.

I loot all items in a chest. Wait a sec, one of those looked interesting. But I can't find it! Was it a recipe? A note? Alchemy ingredient? Time to dig through all the inventory tabs and hope it's obvious there. :p Similarly even without a SSD, loading screen tips vanish almost immediately so I can't usually read them. I don't mind the short loads, but having a log would be awesome.

Played the first few hours.

A really good game, but definitely has some problems.

I can notice the frame pacing (Xbox One), the combat isn't consistently fluid, and the UI is so-so.

The visuals are very impressive, and it runs fairly well.

SJRB

Gold Member
O my god I have it. I finally have it in my hands. Downloading the patch right now [20 minutes for a 400 mb patch, FUCK YOU PSN NETWORK].

Anyway, the little inlay in the box with the message from CDPR blows my mind, that was really nice of them.

d9b

Banned
Played a bit on PS4 aside from the three crashes I've had so far (all from playing gwent), it's been fine. Fight are fun and the controls are serviceable. Controlling the horse is alright. It's no RDR, but it'll do. Music is good.

Hopefully there's a patch soon so I can get around to playing gwent.
Any official word from CDPR about card game crashes? I hope the patch is in the works and will be up soon.
Picking up my copy today.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This has probably been asked before, but for those that liked Inquisition, how does this game compare? Again, this is a question for those that liked Inquisition.

I loved DA:I but couldn't get into The Witcher 2 at all so I'm not 100% if I should get this.

Anyone? I'm in two minds about getting it.

Dynasty8

This is the primary reason I don't want to play on the lower difficulties, as I see myself abusing Meditation just to heal.

To be honest, the higher difficulties where meditation does not heal you, makes you more cautious, plus only being able to heal with Food/Drinks.

Meditation also allows you to fast forward the time of day

Agreed.

Abusing meditation ruins the game. Bloodborne and Souls taught me to play more cautiously. Death March difficulty is perfect IMO.

I know it's been said a lot, but they really need to improve the text size. Even when it comes to looting I can barely make out what I'm taking.

Blizzard

Banned
Probably already answered, but is there a quicksave option? Pressing F keys on keyboard opens different menus, can't find any related key bindings in setting menu. It would be cool to have quicksave on controller too, like holding start button.
I found out by accident that quick save is F5. I'm guessing quick load is another F key but I didn't dig around.

Does the Griffon head on the side of my horse ever go away?

It's a part of your inventory. It can be replaced with other monster heads, granting you different passive abilities.

Can you return to the first zone later or it is best to finish all the quests there before going on with the main one?

You can fast travel back whenever you feel like returning. Just zoom in on it on the map using fast-travel posts.

golem

Hmm, if you have the crossbow and the bolts in the slots it should appear on the quick menu.

Yeah not sure why its bugged. Cant remove it from the slot too to re equip it. Guess I'll have to find another ranged weapon and hope it works in there

drotahorror

Why do certain merchants allow you to sell only certain things? For instance the blacksmith dwarf, I can't see these rusted axes or whatever they are, but that merchant dude with bowlcut has no issue buying them.

Dynasty8

Anyone? I'm in two minds about getting it.

I loved DA:I. Tied as my GotY with Dark Souls 2 for 2014...but this game is on a whole different level. I've been playing since Friday and it's better in almost every regard. Story, combat, exploration, side quests, music, etc. But before you dive into this game, make sure you read up on the lore of the universe. (Characters, kingdoms, events from past games, etc....) Otherwise you'll be very confused.

Shy

Yeah,
i was glad they kept it in (i purposely made sure to keep it, cause i was hoping it would be in 3) but was a little sad because of that oversight. no biggie though. :)

EDIT:
Well..
the tutorial is actually a dream, so it kind of makes sense that he would still have the tattoo in it.
shit forgot about that, that makes far more sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, it's a lot like TW2. I expected more combat changes given what I had read from reviews, but it still seems to have the same "clunk" as it's predecessor.

I'm doing the highest difficulty and it's been a challenge so far, but nothing too frustrating. But I am not very far yet -- so if I run into anything that's just annoyingly difficult (like that damn Operator fight in TW2) I'll probably move it down a notch.

Thanks, I think I'll probably do the same. I enjoy a fair challenge and the satisfaction it results in, just as long as it doesn't get quite as punishing as in Soulsborne. In those games it's cool, because there combat is THE thing - it's basically all you do - but in a more open and story-focused game like TW it could probably get a bit annoying to get your ass kicked that much.

Roussow

Spent the first 4 hours or so really not enjoying the combat. It's starting to come together now, you really have to rely on the quick dodge for most combat encounters, dancing around the enemy with multiple dodges before getting rapid strikes in is the most effective stratagy thus far, treating it like a absurdly swift and fast paced Dark Souls, although, unlike that series, the hitboxes are pretty rough if you use the roll to rapidly dodge, it just doesnt work as well as the quick even with this , the combat is still not super great, quickly firing off and switching signs is a little tough, i've mostly just been dependent on the fire spell. Dont get me wrong, still enjoying it, and while it seems a touch unfair to judge a 100 hour game on its first 5/6. Perhaps thats why Youtubers and previewers got extended time to preview the game, I can see 12 hours being the sweetspot into understanding all the different mechanics and practical uses.

Geralt loses a lot of health from dropping off a ledge or cliff that isn't all that high. I was suprised how much health I lost, wasn't expecting such are large drop in health and other times he'd die. Was this the same in the previous Witcher games?

I've just bought my copy this morning (can't play till tonight) and I have to say it's nice that they have put some effort into the contents of the case, a nice little note from them, a map, a soundtrack and a history type booklet it makes a real change from the norm of basically nothing these days, it makes me glad I decided to go physical on this one, well done CDPR!

How do you switch lock on targets when using mouse and keyboard? Can't seem to figure it out. On the controller you just flick the right analog stick.

Geralt loses a lot of health from dropping off a ledge or cliff that isn't all that high. I was suprised how much health I lost, wasn't expecting such are large drop in health and other times he'd die. Was this the same in the previous Witcher games?

You couldn't jump in previous game and I don't think you could fall either, due to invisible walls.

Blizzard

Banned
How do you switch lock on targets when using mouse and keyboard? Can't seem to figure it out. On the controller you just flick the right analog stick.
Tap Z to turn on, tap Z to turn off. Tapping Z MAY immediately switch an active lock to another enemy if one is in front of you, but I don't remember for sure.

valkyre

On my 46" TV, at 1080p, I literally have to get off the sofa and walk up to the TV to read descriptions of items........

good god this is so true. It really strains the eyes after a while... why cant they implement larger font?!

Also can i ask something. While in the first area and the small village, I tried to galop away and I ended up with a message that I have reached the end of the area and then it turns me around. I thought that you could navigate the entire map with no invisible walls, what gives?

Blizzard

Banned
good god this is so true. It really strains the eyes after a while... why cant they implement larger font?!

Also can i ask something. While in the first area and the small village, I tried to galop away and I ended up with a message that I have reached the end of the area and then it turns me around. I thought that you could navigate the entire map with no invisible walls, what gives?
I'm not there yet, but I've seen people say the game opens up later once the prologue or whatnot has been completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom