• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
good god this is so true. It really strains the eyes after a while... why cant they implement larger font?!

Also can i ask something. While in the first area and the small village, I tried to galop away and I ended up with a message that I have reached the end of the area and then it turns me around. I thought that you could navigate the entire map with no invisible walls, what gives?

I believe you have to complete the main quest first.

Tap Z to turn on, tap Z to turn off. Tapping Z MAY immediately switch an active lock to another enemy if one is in front of you, but I don't remember for sure.

Hm, so sounds like switching lock on targets with mouse and keyboard doesn't work nearly as well as it does with a controller.

Why the fuck did I pre-order from Zavvi?

Postman has just been and no game :|

Sounds about right for Zavvi i'm afraid, I had something similar with them a few years back, they are a terrible company to deal with in my opinion, might be worth cancelling it and going out and buying it from a shop?

It's a bad game design decision to pick what to do with the save game situation but not have you make the choices until 5 hours into the game. If you make the wrong choice (like I did) you have to replay those 5 hours. They should let you pick your TW2 decisions in the beginning, or at least give you a chance to change your mind about whether to go with default or pick the world state at the end of the prologue.

ColdRose

Anyone? I'm in two minds about getting it.

It kind of depends on your reasons for enjoying DAI and not liking TW2. (I loved Inquisition, but also liked TW2),

If character creation and the party dynamic is your thing, then there's not a lot for you in TW3.

If you like exploring a large well-realised, well-written, beautiful dark fantasy world populated with believeable (though not terribly likeable for the most part, imo) characters, then you should have give it a go. DA is a bit more up my street because it's lighter in tone - I'm not a fan of too much darkness - but I'm still enjoying TW. CDPR are fantastic at sidequest and monster design, better than Inquisition (though I still think that game has better side content than many here give it credit for. It isn't all fetch/filler!), but I prefer the characters of the DA Universe (this being a Witcher thread, I doubt there'll be many here who agree with that though :p).

If you hated the combat in TW2 (as I did) then ... eh. I'm not finding it a whole lot better in TW3 to be honest (though opinions vary here). I'm turning down the difficulty, muddling my way through and liking the game despite it. As simple as it was, I much preferred the fighting in DA. But then I'm not a huge action combat fan anyway.

It's a bad game design decision to pick what to do with the save game situation but not have you make the choices until 5 hours into the game. If you make the wrong choice (like I did) you have to replay those 5 hours. They should let you pick your TW2 decisions in the beginning, or at least give you a chance to change your mind about whether to go with default or pick the world state at the end of the prologue.

You should probably just create a save right before you do it.

valkyre

Do you know what the default world state is if you choose no?

I did the same mistake as you and I am really bummed about having to replay 4 hours of "yesterday"...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I loved DA:I. Tied as my GotY with Dark Souls 2 for 2014...but this game is on a whole different level. I've been playing since Friday and it's better in almost every regard. Story, combat, exploration, side quests, music, etc. But before you dive into this game, make sure you read up on the lore of the universe. (Characters, kingdoms, events from past games, etc....) Otherwise you'll be very confused.

Thanks, I watched some brief summary videos on youtube so I think I'm set. what are my choices when the game starts? I'd like to make the big decisions myself, but I'd still like the game to treat me as a newcomer to the lore.

Sane_Man

Early game item spoilers:

Anyone know what I do with the
Griffin's head that's on my horse? I've completed the mission it was tied to and it's still there.

Sakura

I ordered release day delivery off Amazon but it still hasn't shipped yet... if I don't get it on the 19th can I complain to them or something?

Nose Master

Been doing nothing but sidequests / farting around on the map finding ?'s since I got home. :D

I wish silver swords existed, though. Gotten like 500 steel.

viveks86

For those interested, following are the INI settings I used. There were so many variables I tweaked that I don't fully remember what I did.

Please do not hold me responsible if this crashes your system or breaks up your marriage. I followed Andy's guidelines for half of it. The rest, well, I was just a monkey with a spanner. I wanted to document everything the way Andy did so well, but I had no time or sleep. Just run the original user settings file against a text compare tool and you will see what I've changed (if you are so inclined). Good luck and let me know how it goes.

The only issue I've noticed is that some cutscenes that I remember having strong depth of field do not show it anymore. Have no idea why. Other than that I haven't really noticed any pop-in or streaming issues that accompany an open world game. I've got way too many screenshots that I need to organize, so for now, please bear with me for reposting the ones I posted earlier.

Also, this is still a work in progress. Shadows tend to be over exaggerated if the conditions are too bright. It still looks great, but some areas can get completed drowned in shadows. Will try to fix that. But I want to play the game as well, so we'll see!

My configuration:

Inter 5930k hexacore OC @4.4 Ghz
Titan X 2xSLI OC @+200/+400
16 GB DDR4 3000Mhz Ram
1 TB Samsung Evo SSD
Asus x99-A motherboard
Seasonic 1200W Platinum PSU
Corsair 500R case
Corsair AF120 Fans
H105 Water cooling
Logitech wireless KB
Logitech G930 headset
Windows 8.1

Resolution: 1440p. 4K60 ultra was too much for my rig with hairworks. It was possible without, but I had no headroom for these tweaks. And I don't have a gsync monitor, so 60fps vsync or bust. If CDPR can optimize even by 10%, I should be able to bump it up to 1620p.

FPS w/ ultra w/o tweaks: 90-105
FPS w/ ultra + tweaks: 70-90

[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150
[Hidden]
HasSetup=true
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1
[Localization]
SpeechLanguage=EN
TextLanguage=EN
Subtitles=false
[Viewport]
VSync=false
Resolution="2560x1440"
FullScreenMode=2
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=-1
[Hud]
Minimap2Module=false
MessageModule=false
OnelinersModule=false
ItemInfoModule=false
HudSize=0
QuestsModule=false
BuffsModule=false
ConsoleModule=false
WolfMedalion=false
CompanionModule=false
ControlsFeedbackModule=false
[Budget]
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadowTime=1
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTickedTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedGrass=30000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamic=10
cvMaxAllowedDynMeshes=104857600
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinnedTime=2.5
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesSkinned=100000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSSTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadow=5
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=300
cvMaxAllowedApexTicked=60
cvMaxAllowedActiveEnvProbesTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedStatTextures=314572800
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTree=5000
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadowsTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTreeTime=2.2
cvMaxAllowedChunksStatic=1500
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=700000
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunks=25
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamicTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadows=40
cvMaxAllowedChunksStaticTime=1.5
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinned=400
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTicked=20
cvMaxAllowedStatMeshes=229715200
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunksTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedApexTickedTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedCharTextures=209715200
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCountTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCount=1000
cvMaxAllowedGrassTime=1.5
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSS=200
[Audio]
SoundVolume=90
MusicVolume=90
Subtitles=true
[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true
[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false
[PostProcess]
AllowChromaticAberration=false
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
SSAOSolution=2
[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=true
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=1.05
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=1.29592
InvertCameraY=true
RightStickAimSensitivity=1.29592
MouseSensitivity=1.15
[Gameplay]
Difficulty=3
[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=200
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=60
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=20
StripeHideDistance=60
[General]
ConfigVersion=1
[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false
[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1
[Visuals]
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=30
GammaValue=1.02
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02
[Rendering]
GrassDensity=3000
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=40
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=64
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=3
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=200000
TextureMemoryBudget=2400
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.5
MeshLODDistanceScale=2
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=2
TerrainReadAheadDistance=400
HairWorksLevel=2
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.2
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=4
CascadeShadowmapSize=3072
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=2
CascadeShadowQuality=4
HairWorksAALevel=4
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4
[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true
[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=true
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=0.25
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false
[Engine]
LimitFPS=0
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.001
GrassDistanceScale=2.4
FoliageDistanceScale=4
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=54
GrassRingSize=16777216
[Save]
ShowCompatWarning=false
[Kinect]
Kinect=true
[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=24

Sample screens:

witcher32015-05-1821-39-32-9054539.png

witcher32015-05-1821-20-54-75.png

witcher32015-05-1820-26-23-35.png

witcher32015-05-1820-41-52-44.png

witcher32015-05-1820-25-48-27.png

witcher32015-05-1820-24-41-21.png

witcher32015-05-1819-51-48-42.png

witcher32015-05-1819-23-29-36.png

witcher32015-05-1822-01-21-4134b78.png

Blizzard

Banned
I ordered release day delivery off Amazon but it still hasn't shipped yet... if I don't get it on the 19th can I complain to them or something?
If you dig around the Amazon support links, you should eventually be able to find a web chat option. I think I've had this once or twice with guaranteed one or two day shipping that did not go through, and support might at least refund you the shipping price.

artsi

Don't know if I'm crazy but there's this certain sound that bugs me when I walk around.

Can't quite describe it but it reminds me of hard drive seeking sound, very subtle but it really irritates me.

Kem0sabe

A couple of things after playing the game for a few hours...

1. combat is shit.
2. pc controls are unintuitive
3. performance is all over the place
4. bugs, so so many bugs, from people getting stuck, to horses not summoning to falling through the world.
5. If this is what CDprojket considers good quest design, then they know nothing.

I did the same mistake as you and I am really bummed about having to replay 4 hours of "yesterday"...

Nope, but I decided to just move on because my schedule is tight and I can't just throw away 5 hours of gameplay.

It's a terrible design decision though and I hope somebody makes a mod soon.

HAL-x9000

Hey Valkyre, I just have to ask again to be sure. I chose to not emulate a Witcher 2 savegame. Right now I´m shortly after the griffin.

Was it a bad decision? And should I start the game all over and choose to emulate a savegame?

woen

The parry system is some real shit. 2 seconds delay and you can't do anything when an enemy do 2 or 3 attacks in a row. Did they even test it ?

And the 1m30 loading when you die, considering the save is glitchy, needs some patch too. Bloodborne was 45 sec max before patch.

Nose Master

Taming wild horses is fun. They usually buck you off, but you can
mind control
them to ride them around. Doesn't seem to be any point to doing so and they're not permanent, but it's cool :D

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
Quick question, I'm fairly early in the game, a couple of hours in and just clearing some points of interest but is there any other way to repair your gear outside of the blacksmiths and the repair items? I've nearly gone broke just repairing my main items for the first time. I guess I'm still early in the game so the money isn't flowing in yet but damn, I had to sell off a lot of loot just to repair my gear.

I hope this doesn't become an issue in the long run. I've never been a fan of item degradation in rpgs but I decided I'd stomach it for this game. This seems like a bit much though, hopefully it gets tuned in an upcoming patch to slow the process a bit.

ctfg23

So what game(s) outside of TW series is the combat most comparable to, if any? I'll probably get the game regardless, just want to know what to expect.

majin_pol

Neo Member

1. combat is shit.
4. bugs, so so many bugs, from people getting stuck, to horses not summoning to falling through the world.
5. If this is what CDprojket considers good quest design, then they know nothing.

1. opinion
2. as always pc is only good with strategy games / fps play with pad
3. pc yup yup #downgrade #wegotscrewd, but yes there are problems with PC version
4. i can only say for ps4 - no bugs ~8h
5. its godlike quality game for shit they feed us this gen

Big thread. Is the PS4 version solid?

My version is perfect! No bugs no crashes.

I know nothing about this game. I played 2 until i met the dwarf bloke and still had no idea what was going on (but that was a long time ago and i'm old now)

Sell me on it cause it looks super fun, i just don't know what it's about.

Hey Valkyre, I just have to ask again to be sure. I chose to not emulate a Witcher 2 savegame. Right now I´m shortly after the griffin.

Was it a bad decision? And should I start the game all over and choose to emulate a savegame?

Depends on how important those decisions are to you and how you feel about losing 4-5 hours of progress

Been playing this for a few hours tonight, and so far I think I'm actually enjoying it. Unexpected really, because every time I tried playing Witcher 1 or 2, I felt bored to tears. This game's set up seems much more interesting, and gets you into the gameplay quicker. I'm not very far into the main quest, I'm at the point where I'm about to lure the griffin, but it's mostly because I got hooked on doing a few side quests.

I'm playing this on PC with a i5 cpu, and only a 760 gpu, with mostly mid settings, and I still think it looks really nice. The weather effects are my favorite thing so far. Where I left, it was around noon in game, and some storm clouds were coming in, and the way the wind blows, and the light shifts looks so much more natural than anything I've ever seen in a game before.

I almost hate to stop playing, but I guess I should sleep for a bit.

Kiko

Had one crash on PS4 in the first two hours. But after that it ran just fine (15h in). Some bugs with pop-ins and weird peasant movements but nothing super critical for me.

Weather feels so good. The sound the trees make when heavy wind is blowing, just awesome. I love even the sidequests and just roaming around.

Tacitus_

The only buggy thing that I've found so far is the boat. If you walk over the helm it has a habit of launching you fucking high.

Dialogue and choices are golden so far.

Mendrox

1. combat is shit.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Opinions and such a nice, but

1. Combat is better than many other clunky RPGs
2. Cannot say anything to that, but PS4 controls are fine
3. Don't have that problem (PS4, yes, ok, PC could be worse)
4. C'mon, there are always bugs in big worlds - got nothing game breaking so far
5. This is the point where I just had to post and take the bait... Tell me one fucking open world RPG where the quests are better than this...They have a story, choices, they aren't always too long and they aren't real fetch quests (like kill 5 wolves and come back bro!) the NPCs also look nice. You are insane. You can take quests from notice boards, find them in the wild or take them from random NPCs... wut.

NZerker12

My game will be coming today but I would just like to know what are the difficulty options and what option is recommended to play on.

murgo

Man, I'm really getting my ass kicked on Blood and broken bones. I can't even manage to beat a single lvl 4 drowner :(
I am still lvl 1 though..

valkyre

Yeah, you have to restart if you want to make witcher 2 choices....

Player is so poorly informed when making the decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom