• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

apd_ng

the games amazing but...

anyone feel like the controls and/or garalts movements are super clunky?

playing with a controller on pc

looting is a pain geralts movements are so clunky

Nose Master

Man, I'm really getting my ass kicked on Blood and broken bones. I can't even manage to beat a single lvl 4 drowner :(
I am still lvl 1 though..

Same difficulty, and drowners are literally the only enemy type I've had trouble with. They always wreck me, and everything else is relatively easy to circle-dodge.

Stand in the water far enough that you can't roll but can use magic and just spam fire. They won't actually come in to the water, and will just run back and forth.

Majukun

Can someone explain me the thing about the choices? I chooses to simulate a world state... Was it the wrong decision if I wanted to pick my choices through the interrogation?

benzy

It takes Geralt too long to simply turn left or right from a standstill. There's almost a 1 second button delay reaction there, which is weird as some of the other button presses have quicker reactions. Other than that it feels better than Witcher 2.

AzureFlame

the games amazing but...

Yes they are super clunky lol especially indoors xD also the jumping is horrible.

boskee

What the fuck is wrong with you? Opinions and such a nice, but

1. Combat is better than many other clunky RPGs
2. Cannot say anything to that, but PS4 controls are fine
3. Don't have that problem (PS4, yes, ok, PC could be worse)
4. C'mon, there are always bugs in big worlds - got nothing game breaking so far
5. This is the point where I just had to post and take the bait... Tell me one fucking open world RPG where the quests are better than this...They have a story, choices, they aren't always too long and they aren't real fetch quests (like kill 5 wolves and come back bro!) the NPCs also look nice. You are insane. You can take quests from notice boards, find them in the wild or take them from random NPCs... wut.

He comes across as one of those verysmart people you'll find in YouTube comments. You know, the ones with Phd in quest design.

Just woke up after short 5 hour sleep and I am already back in game. It feels good. Really good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cleaned up White Orchard in about seven hours, think I did everything. I do remember screenshots showing an elven archer that I thought was from White Orchard, but maybe it's from somewhere else because I never encountered her. White Orchard seems to mostly tell you were everything is anyway; it's a big prologue/tutorial really.

The game proper starts once you finally hit Valen, the first open world, and jesus fuck is it huge. There's so much content, and it's so expansive. In a good way, but you legitimately have to pause and think to yourself "okay...where do I want to start". It's so tempting to just go mad and ride around, but you know even doing that you're going to come across a ton of shit you'll want to stop and investigate.

EDIT: If people are finding the combat difficulty too hard/clumsy, or the difficulty above normal too difficult when it comes to healing, the best advice I can give is play it safe. Yes Geralt can do all fancy swivels and combos, but the price you pay for getting caught in an enemy's attack chain is not worth the loss of one extra hit should you chose to back off instead. The Griffon fight really personified this. Play carefully, don't be greedy. Use spells, bombs, and whatever else that could momentarily stun or stagger the opponent and land a blow or two, then immediately back off. Stay on the edge, not in the middle surrounded. First time fighting the Griffon I was shitty, because the combat does have some nuances I don't agree with; there's a really obvious delay in command->action in almost everything Geralt does, which is tedious with rolls and side steps. But much of this frustration is alleviated by being more careful and strategic in your combat. An instant frame perfect dodge is necessary when you're knee deep in shit and playing at a hundred miles per hour. Given the slight delays and fanciness in the combat, give yourself some room to breath. Avoid being in that position, greedily eating up a combo knowing the enemy will attack quickly and soon, when you know getting out of it will be hard. Patience.

The other thing; buy some essential skills early. Two jump out: in the combat tree at the very least buy the base ability to block arrows. Whenever you're going to fight human groups have it equipped and while you're blocking Geralt will automatically block arrows. The upgrade allows you to parry them back to opponents with the right timing, but the base ability is essential protection and will significantly reduce tedium in human groups. The other is a passive ability, I think it's called Sun and Stars. You'll (admittedly slowly) regenerate health during day, and adrenalin at night. If you're wandering around by day and don't want to eat up all your food supplies, having this ability equipped will passively heal you as you do what you do. Very, very useful.

EDIT 2: The reason I bring up combat tips is because while I think Wild Hunt can be improved (like most open world games), it's easy to fall into the trap of "this is too hard because it sucks" when that's not entirely true. Yes there might be some oddities, it might not flow as smoothly as other games, but if you learn the nuances and adjust your play style you will do better. You won't completely avoid moments of frustration but you'll severely reduce them and understand what the game is going for. Different =/= sucks, same as having to learn and adapt to a new style of combat. I had an immense amount of trouble with the Griffon fight first off, was *this close* to dropping down from Blood and Broken Bones difficulty, but once it all clicked and I understood how to play, as well as applied some patience to my strategy, I was able to land blows and avoid hits for lengthy entanglements and beat the beast with comfortable attentiveness.

HAL-x9000

Yeah, you have to restart if you want to make witcher 2 choices....

Player is so poorly informed when making the decision...

Ok thx but I think I will just live with "no emulated savegame" because this is my first Witcher game and I wouldn´t even know what to choose.

apd_ng

im glad a few share my same opinion!

hes turnrate is so awful compared to games like da:i or skyrim lmao

im sure it wasnt this bad in witcher 2

Ohwell!

still loving the game so far

Can someone explain me the thing about the choices? I chooses to simulate a world state... Was it the wrong decision if I wanted to pick my choices through the interrogation?

You chose the right thing, it just takes some time before you actually make the choices. Once your out of White Orchard is when you make them.

Kem0sabe

What the fuck is wrong with you? Opinions and such a nice, but

1. Combat is better than many other clunky RPGs
2. Cannot say anything to that, but PS4 controls are fine
3. Don't have that problem (PS4, yes, ok, PC could be worse)
4. C'mon, there are always bugs in big worlds - got nothing game breaking so far
5. This is the point where I just had to post and take the bait... Tell me one fucking open world RPG where the quests are better than this...They have a story, choices, they aren't always too long and they aren't real fetch quests (like kill 5 wolves and come back bro!) the NPCs also look nice. You are insane. You can take quests from notice boards, find them in the wild or take them from random NPCs... wut.

1. I don't care if combat is better than rpg X, what i do know if that combat is as bad as Witcher 2, which i felt had mediocre combat;
4. I didnt say they were game breaking (tho having to reload because character got stuck is game breaking), i said there were a lot of bugs, on pc, and there are;
5. I can name 2 in fact, both Gothic 1 and Gothic 2, had much better npc's and quest design.

The game is so beautiful, characters look great.
I'm pretty sure this will be my longest playthrough of any game ever, it's a dream come true for Witcher fans, thank you CDPR.

wrowa

It's 2015 and developers are still releasing games with tiny ass on-screen text? What's up with that?

Seriously. Reading the Bestiary or even the item descriptions in the Shop screen is nearly impossible for me. The latter is just buggling my mind too - there's so much free space, the text could have been twice as big without any issue whatsoever. Definitely feels like they designed the interface for the PC and just forgot to adjust it for console players too.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It takes Geralt too long to simply turn left or right from a standstill. There's almost a 1 second button delay reaction there, which is weird as some of the other button presses have quicker reactions. Other than that it feels better than Witcher 2.

Oh good, so this isn't just me! I thought it might have been due to my card being low spec (660 GTX) and stopped because the unresponsive controls were killing me. I wonder if they can fix that?

zkorejo

Just completed two quests (connected to each other) made some really tough decisions, At first I wasnt sure if I did the right thing (left a sour taste in my mouth) but thanks to the other quest, I got a chance to do something about it and I did.

This is one of the best feelings of achieving something. I have been doing this quest for 2 days on and off and it finally came to an end (I think it was a really good one and pretty realistic) that I am satisfied with.

The stories/quests are so f'n detailed its crazy. Characters, voice acting, decision making and consequences ... its just done so f'n well. I dont think I have seen such a detailed quest design that changes the based on the players decisions so well.

Cant wait to move on to other stories, characters and adventures.

Gattsu25

Banned
Played for a few hours last night. Was fun as fuck.

I too, got my ass handed to me by those drowners but they are level four.

Use the B / O button to dash around them when they attack, then punish them with a counterattack while they are winding down from their attack animations.

Mendrox

1. I don't care if combat is better than rpg X, what i do know if that combat is as bad as Witcher 2, which i felt had mediocre combat;
4. I didnt say they were game breaking (tho having to reload because character got stuck is game breaking), i said there were a lot of bugs, on pc, and there are;
5. I can name 2 in fact, both Gothic 1 and Gothic 2, had much better npc's and quest design.

I played and loved Gothic 1 and 2 to death (I even knew the guys from Piranha Bytes back then), but none of the quests in G1+2 were better than the ones in Witcher 3, please don't delude yourself or replay them. Witcher 3 is a perfectly good example of taking bad quest design and turn them into cool and interesting ones.

You always get backstory, nice dialouges and also choices how much you will get as a reward or take the quest to another level and make it seem like a core one.

I also think that you are not far in if you say that G1+2 had better NPCs... there are some NPCs that I thought were main characters in my 30 hours.

Mogwai

Yeah, the majority of what I saw in reviews was just "the combat is better" without any in depth looks at the actual mechanics and some of their problems. Wish I had read one that actually focused on the game's mechanics (although I am still enjoying the game).
Indeed. It's always mentioned in such a brief way that it can't be taken seriously. A review with focus on actual gameplay would be really nice. I don't think the game would hit 9/10 or 10/10 in those cases. But oh well, plenty of games get a free ticket these days.

Maybe CDPR just wanted to stay true to the series but TW3 has reached mainstream status and now people are expecting more user friendly and approachable gameplay?
That's too much old school mentality, don't you think? I don't think that janky/wonky gameplay is equal to anything about staying true to the prior games. Poor gameplay is poor gameplay. But again, I haven't played it, only read comments. But as there are still comments about janky gameplay, I assume that it's still an issue in Wild Hunt.

Pimpbaa

Seriously. Reading the Bestiary or even the item descriptions in the Shop screen is nearly impossible for me. The latter is just buggling my mind too - there's so much free space, the text could have been twice as big without any issue whatsoever. Definitely feels like they designed the interface for the PC and just forgot to adjust it for console players too.

I have the ps4 version and I have no problems reading the text. Maybe you are sitting too far away and/or have a small TV.

Radec

Sucks to be at work with this in the bag.

11209426_10205604578826418_4608492921869471676_n.jpg

Kyaw

So mouse and keyboard feels pretty good, tried it out since i couldn't get the game to recognise my DS4. Anyone else using M&KB?

Using mouse and keyboard atm. The only complaint I have is it's really hard to loot things.

You have to position yourself perfectly to get the "E" to appear.

Frillen

Question regarding weapons.

What does -2 in red with a hammer icon mean, and /\+9 in green mean?

-2 means the weapon is slightly damaged and will do -2 in damage. Repair it and it will do +2 in damage (back to normal).

+9 in green means the weapon is +9 better than the weapon you currently have equipped.

Grazzt

Ok, only played two hours, everything was good, until it would not let me save anymore. Kept telling me I can't save right now. So I quit and tried to reload. Turned out the autosaving had not worked either. Now I lost nearly one hour process. Fuck it!

I do seem to notice the framerate not being exactly 30. Game has this slight twitchy feel to it sometimes.

It's not game-breaking, but I hope a patch locks it to 30.

Gattsu25

Banned
I do seem to notice the framerate not being exactly 30. Game has this slight twitchy feel to it sometimes.

It's not game-breaking, but I hope a patch locks it to 30.

um......which version are you playing?

Pretty sure you can lock the framerate down to 30 or 60 on the PC version (or leave it uncapped for 120fps madness)

patapuf

Indeed. It's always mentioned in such a brief way that it can't be taken seriously. A review with focus on actual gameplay would be really nice. I don't think the game would hit 9/10 or 10/10 in those cases. But oh well, plenty of games get a free ticket these days.

That's too much old school mentality, don't you think? I don't think that janky/wonky gameplay is equal to anything about staying true to the prior games. Poor gameplay is poor gameplay. But again, I haven't played it, only read comments. But as there are still comments about janky gameplay, I assume that it's still an issue in Wild Hunt.

It's an RPG, while you still want good combat in those, sometimes servicable is enough because the other parts are so great.

"gameplay" in an RPG is a lot more than just combat encounters btw.

And while combat in the Witcher 3 isn't as good as the souls series, it's still pretty good, you just won't play that game only because of it's combat.

boskee

I don't know what happened, but after waking up the combat seems oh so much easier than last night. Perhaps I was too tired, or maybe I have no learned how to play, but I am killing monsters left and right without too much trouble, without feeling overpowered. I am playing on the hardest difficulty.

I am in love with this game.

Risev1

I know this probably was asked before, so forgive the redundancy, but is the day1 free dlc included with the patch, or do you have to download it separately?

Using mouse and keyboard atm. The only complaint I have is it's really hard to loot things.

You have to position yourself perfectly to get the "E" to appear.

Yeah, atleast it's better than WT2 left click for everything. Had to remap the dodge and sign buttons too. ALT för quick dodge felt really weird and inprecise. Got that on Mouse button 4 (the thumb ones on the mouse) and sign casting on Mouse button 5. Feels pretty solid, suprisingly. I was expecting them to have gone full-on console combat a'la arkham.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know this probably was asked before, so forgive the redundancy, but is the day1 free dlc included with the patch, or do you have to download it separately?

Yeah, I'm wondering this too. There are Steam pages for the DLC, but no add-on button, nor do they appear in the DLC list. If it's in the patch, where in the game is the Temerian Armor Set?

Tillbo

Mine's arrived...

Just have to say that it's great to get a physical game (standard edition) with a manual and other unexpected 'goodies' in the box such as a great quality map, soundtrack CD, mini guide and stickers.

Can't remember the last game that I bought that had all that stuff!

Ushay

Sucks to be at work with this in the bag.

I feel your pain, at this very moment. It's just sat there preloaded on my Xbox, I tried to stay awake to have a quick hour on it last night but couldn't keep my eyes open and had an early start :(

Reading comments makes it easier though haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom