• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty sure I have done everything there is to do in the first area, so i can now move on. Will proceed tomorrow, but today was just a blast. I am really enjoying this so far. Its definitely my goty till now without question. Just the smallest quests feel like they have meaning and weight. Cant wait to experience more of this.

Urthor

Using alt for the step around felt really weird at first, but eventually it started becoming really, really natural. Also, that it's actually just extraordinarily strong. It's SO easy to dodge enemies that way.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My last piece of advice with combat and the game in general: avoid the trap of blaming the game for misunderstand game systems and applying them based on experience with other games. Excellent example would be dodge and roll and the seemingly lack of invincibility frames. If the lack of i-frames in dodging annoys you, your response shouldn't be "This is stupid, it needs i-frames", it should be "Okay, it doesn't have i-frames, so how do I adjust my play to accommodate for this?". Don't try to directly apply full experience with one game system a similar one when there's still fundamental differences that separate them.

started playing on PS4, first thing I noticed was the quality of the video files, looks worse than youtube compression, is that the same for everyone?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
When can we expect the zero weight mod? Iirc back in the witcher 2 days it was released fairly quickly.

I'm anal about this.

Buy saddlebags to expand inv space, and sell or break down your shit. Stop hoarding garbage swords people

Gattsu25

Banned
My last piece of advice with combat and the game in general: avoid the trap of blaming the game for misunderstand game systems and applying them based on experience with other games. Excellent example would be dodge and roll and the seemingly lack of invincibility frames. If the lack of i-frames in dodging annoys you, your response shouldn't be "This is stupid, it needs i-frames", it should be "Okay, it doesn't have i-frames, so how do I adjust my play to accommodate for this?". Don't try to directly apply full experience with one game system a similar one when there's still fundamental differences that separate them.

Why should people try to understand a differing gameplay system when they can just handwave it all away with meaningless complaints like 'jank'?

Joking aside, good point.

Took a few tries but I finally beat the
werewolf
in Velen. I could only take a few hits since I'm on the hardest difficulty and the quest is level 7 and I was still level 3 when I did it. There's something that's kind of bs about it especially on this difficulty

If you choose to
put down the werewolf when the fight resumes it'll instantly start attacking you before you can do shit. I got it to that second phase 4 times and the last time it instead backed up and started is regen animation.

Oh yeah before you guys leave white orchard get those Viper schematics. The weapons are pretty damn good.

This game is so relaxing until you get into combat with 3-4 fast enemies or a bigger beast. Like even the Detective Geralt gameplay and prep alchemy/crafting is so zen, then you become this murderous tornado of swords, magic, crossbows, bombs, and decapitations before going right back to being a chill, gravely hunter who, for some reason, narrates everything aloud to himself. It's so great. And the music, and the ambient noise, and the day/night cycle gotdamn. I have number of issues with the game, but it also must be doing something right because I'm hooked for now.

cslesce

pa37AAGzKXoek.gif

Auctopus

My copy should have arrived when I get home this evening. Could someone clarify whether death march difficulty is dark mode?

I want to play on the highest difficulty but I don't want to play permadeath.

Pimpbaa

Does this game use a forward renderer? Asking because the game seems to have good AA (on PS4) but at the same time the textures and stuff seems really sharp unlike a lot of games with post processing AA. On and the faces look incredible. The sub surface scattering is really well done.

Khezu

Will I be in screwed if I just do the main quest and save the side quests for later?

Playing on the second hardest difficulty.

I did several side quests at the start, but they didn't seem to give me much of a reward, very little exp, to the point they didn't seem worth doing.

Doikor

My copy should have arrived when I get home this evening. Could someone clarify whether death march difficulty is dark mode?

Bloodmarch is not permadeath it is just simply the highest difficulty.

maltrain

Started yesterday on PlayStation 4.

+ I'm playing on the highest difficulty... and it's VERY hard. The fucking ghouls on the beginning are a pain in the ass.

+ Combat system is awesome, so fast and accurate.

+ Beautiful graphics, but the camera move so fast, specially when I run, Is there a way of slowing down that a little bit? I couldn't find it.

+ Playing cards, my system crashed two times... anyone else?

+ I'm playing on spanish and everything is awesome: manuals, maps... all the physical stuff it's on spanish and translation and menus too. Great.

+ By the way... YOU CAN SELECT LANGUAGE. See other devs? It's not that hard!

I can see this game is HUGE... really huge.

There is no permadeath in the game right now.

Btw, what's the "consensus" regarding game crashing bugs in the PS4 version? I've read that people are having problems when playing Gwent and trying to "pass" - does it crash every time you try to do that? Any other things I should avoid for now?

Radec

I feel your pain, at this very moment. It's just sat there preloaded on my Xbox, I tried to stay awake to have a quick hour on it last night but couldn't keep my eyes open and had an early start :(

Reading comments makes it easier though haha!

I'm currently listening to the soundtrack cd at work, pretty amazing so far.

lol

This game is so relaxing until you get into combat with 3-4 fast enemies or a bigger beast. Like even the Detective Geralt gameplay and prep alchemy/crafting is so zen, then you become this murderous tornado of swords, magic, crossbows, bombs, and decapitations before going right back to being a chill, gravely hunter who, for some reason, narrates everything aloud to himself. It's so great. And the music, and the ambient noise, and the day/night cycle gotdamn. I have number of issues with the game, but it also must be doing something right because I'm hooked for now.

Man, the bit where the hunter dude leads you to where the griffin attacked those dudes. I did that in the middle of the night (dunno if its a night time event, that's when I went there). The music combined with the atmosphere, it was unbelievably tranquil. Then some dogs attacked me and I died.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
What item types can go in the rightmost slots on the inventory menu? Potions/food for leftmost slots, then bombs, what about the right? It says pockets but I thought we only got extra inventory through the horse bags?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh yeah before you guys leave white orchard get those Viper schematics. The weapons are pretty damn good.

I'll nab those for sure, still lvl 1 on death march and got scared when the viper quest is listed as 6. Want that gear tho.

drotahorror

Is there any way to store things? I'm getting very over encumbered. It's mostly materials and crafting supplies. I have the 90 weight saddle upgrade too.

Kem0sabe

I played and loved Gothic 1 and 2 to death (I even knew the guys from Piranha Bytes back then), but none of the quests in G1+2 were better than the ones in Witcher 3, please don't delude yourself or replay them. Witcher 3 is a perfectly good example of taking bad quest design and turn them into cool and interesting ones.

You always get backstory, nice dialouges and also choices how much you will get as a reward or take the quest to another level and make it seem like a core one.

I also think that you are not far in if you say that G1+2 had better NPCs... there are some NPCs that I thought were main characters in my 30 hours.

I preferred the more toned down approach of first 2 Gothic games, the npc's were unique and the quests fit within the game world. While playing the witcher 3 the entire map seems littered with markers, quest pointers, help signs, press button x to investigate queues, just feels like playing another GTA instead of a proper RPG.

Good advice.

But, it's also good to point out bad game design. I haven't played this or witcher 2, so take that lightly. It sounds like they are in their own world and could have taken influences from other games.

boskee

Man, the bit where the hunter dude leads you to where the griffin attacked those dudes. I did that in the middle of the night (dunno if its a night time event, that's when I went there). The music combined with the atmosphere, it was unbelievably tranquil. Then some dogs attacked me and I died.

Did you ask him why he calls himself a freak? :/

Gothos

Using mouse and keyboard atm. The only complaint I have is it's really hard to loot things.

You have to position yourself perfectly to get the "E" to appear.

Tried mouse+kb and it's terrible imho. Couldn't find the right config for quick dodge so I guess I'll play on gamepad :(

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I looked in the options but could not find anything..how can i disable the "keyboard detected" "gamepad detected" message?

everytime I touch my table the game switches back to mouse+keyboard just because the mouse moved a little >.<

Rafy

The game is crashing for me and I have huge framerate dips. I am running a 970 SC and 4670k rig. Could it be that the issue lies with the CPU since I am still using the stock intel cooler? I know it's not that good as a cooling unit (more like utter shit) but I have other priorities ATM and could not upgrade it.

Any other people having similar issues on the NVIDIA side?

EDIT: I fixed it, HBAO+ was enabled...

Mendrox

I preferred the more toned down approach of first 2 Gothic games, the npc's were unique and the quests fit within the game world. While playing the witcher 3 the entire map seems littered with markers, quest pointers, help signs, press button x to investigate queues, just feels like playing another GTA instead of a proper RPG.

Well.... this is your own fault. How about turning everything off like others in here do too? They made the game more casual with that, but still gave you the option to hide everything and explore yourself. This feels nothing like GTA to me :-/ There are many things to do, yes, but it's good meaty stuff which wasn't just added by people that just added them for play time.

These quests also detail the world (which is good for people new to the Witcher)

aravuus

Wow, even the drowners that were 2 or 3 levels higher than me could kill me in a couple of hits. This world is gonna be a dangerous one to travel, goddamn. And now that I'm starting to get the hang of the combat system... I'm actually really enjoying it. Like genuinely having fun with it. Thank fucking god, it was my main gripe with TW2 and I was very concerned about TW3's combat.

Money seems super scarce, though. I had to do a bunch of quests to get enough orens for a single bottle of dwarven spirit, for the Swallow potion. How's the refilling system work? It refills my Swallows/all potions when I meditate if I have alcohol in my inventory? Can it be any alcohol or does it have to be the one used in alchemy (like dwarven spirit with Swallow)?

e: cause I mean, a bottle of that stuff was 47 orens. Sounds kinda expensive for 3 bottles of Swallow.

Kem0sabe

Well.... this is your own fault. How about turning everything off like others in here do too? They made the game more casual with that, but still gave you the option to hide everything and explore yourself. This feels nothing like GTA to me :-/ There are many things to do, yes, but it's good meaty stuff which wasn't just added by people that just added them for play time.

These quests also detail the world (which is good for people new to the Witcher)

Ill try to play with markers off, didnt even realize it was an option, probably will add more immersion. thanks for the tip.

JambiBum

Where can i buy dem bombs? i need to throw one into a Ghoul nest or something like that.

You just craft them and once you have crafted them for the first time you can use alcoholest to replenish them when you meditate. Unless you find some in a crate, there's no merchant to buy them from in the first area.

Also (second area early spoilers)
I murdered that priest for trying to screw me over by only giving me 60 crowns for doing his dirty work. Ended up getting 200 instead
laugh.gif

Tovarisc

Will I be in screwed if I just do the main quest and save the side quests for later?

Playing on the second hardest difficulty.

I did several side quests at the start, but they didn't seem to give me much of a reward, very little exp, to the point they didn't seem worth doing.

Basically only quests give you any actual XP so question is do you like level ups?

Where can i buy dem bombs? i need to throw one into a Ghoul nest or something like that.

Craft some from under "Alchemy", you can do them anywhere by yourself.

Gattsu25

Banned
You just craft them and once you have crafted them for the first time you can use alcoholest to replenish them when you meditate. Unless you find some in a crate, there's no merchant to buy them from in the first area.
You can also craft alcoholest to replenish your stock.

Only ran into one weird bug when fighting a bunch of dogs/wolves guarding a treasure chest, where the water and sea surrounding me went all black like someone leaked oil into it. Once I defeated them it glitched off. Not sure what it was.

Everything else has been smooth. Framerate is good, haven't noticed any drops from over 4hrs playing (PS4) except one of the earlier cutscenes stuttered a bit

I'm currently up to the
griffin quest

Altairre

By the way for everyone who keeps getting wrecked by mobs, I found that it's a good idea to do the main quest for a while at the beginning since that stuff gives you a lot of xp while it takes fairly long to level with only sidequests. It helps you to get to the point where you can equip some better gear and are more capable of dealing with drowners or other monster packs. It just more pleasant to explore the map at that point even if my first instinct was to do everything but the main quest as well.

Is there any easy risk of becoming over-leveled in this game? I finished DA:I recently and one thing I disliked about it was how quickly/easily I became over-leveled, even on the hardest difficulty. So I'm wondering if I'll be able to complete many side-quests in TW3 without worrying about being too powerful for enemies further in the game.

Tc91

2nd crash whilst being in the inventory just browsing through the items, so annoying the only way to close the game is to log out of my PC user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom