• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearock

Neo Member
I checked, nothing. This is my update history:

CFXJoTRW8AAWLJH.jpg:large

Same here (EU PS4), thought it was weird as everyone talked about the 1.02...

Oh well it didn't affect my enjoyment at all. Game is amazing even if Geralt feels slippery, especially coming out of Bloodborne. Ambiance and quests are really really good, like in the first area were a lot of quests are just one part of this small town history. That subtlety is just great.

I regret not choosing the highest difficulty setting though (I took the second highest) I just arrived in Velen and I barely die anymore, now that Quen is 3/3,
The fight against the griffon was a cakewalk, even though the crossbow is kinda useless

Oh and I love Gwynt which was a problem for me early, burning all my money in cards and all...

boeso

Cant believe its on its way to me right now....soon.

Is there a way to download the patch (PS4) beforehand to save me some time?

Tovarisc

Wow, even the drowners that were 2 or 3 levels higher than me could kill me in a couple of hits. This world is gonna be a dangerous one to travel, goddamn. And now that I'm starting to get the hang of the combat system... I'm actually really enjoying it. Like genuinely having fun with it. Thank fucking god, it was my main gripe with TW2 and I was very concerned about TW3's combat.

Money seems super scarce, though. I had to do a bunch of quests to get enough orens for a single bottle of dwarven spirit, for the Swallow potion. How's the refilling system work? It refills my Swallows/all potions when I meditate if I have alcohol in my inventory? Can it be any alcohol or does it have to be the one used in alchemy (like dwarven spirit with Swallow)?

e: cause I mean, a bottle of that stuff was 47 orens. Sounds kinda expensive for 3 bottles of Swallow.

People talking about how money is scarce and hard to come by it made me think if I broke the game somehow. So last night I played through Prologue zone and turned over basically every possible stone. When leaving Prologue zone I had ~1.3k crowns [main currency in W3] and ~700 other currencies waiting to be converted into usable crowns.

So ummm... money is rare eh? :D

------

As more general commentary I really like how it plays. It took little bit to get used to how dodge stepping works and how to utilize it best, but now that I have it nailed down for most part? It's so gud. When you learn to read enemy attack animations you just can step to aside and then strike them to back.

I knew I would like it how alchemy crafts are handled in this game and I do. No more need to run around endlessly and farm for raw materials. Just do it once and then just rob wife beaters alcohol storages.

Overall flow of the game seems to be really well nailed down, but I'm yet to see how No Man's Land affects gameplay and flow of things. Initially I'm very impressed with the game.

Same here (EU PS4), thought it was weird as everyone talked about the 1.02...

Oh well it didn't affect my enjoyment at all. Game is amazing even if Geralt feels slippery, especially coming out of Bloodborne. Ambiance and quests are really really good, like in the first area were a lot of quests are just one part of this small town history. That subtlety is just great.

I regret not choosing the highest difficulty setting though (I took the second highest) I just arrived in Velen and I barely die anymore, now that Quen is 3/3,
The fight against the griffon was a cakewalk, even though the crossbow is kinda useless

Oh and I love Gwynt which was a problem for me early, burning all my money in cards and all...

You can still change in options at any point.

deadfolk

Trying to decide whether to pick this up yet or not.
I'm about 1/2 way through Witcher 1 and haven't even started 2. Should I just skip to the end?

Decisions, decisions...

And then there's platforms. PC tops performance, obviously, but I have an AMD R290X and I'm hearing horror stories.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm about 1/2 way through Witcher 1 and haven't even started 2. Should I just skip to the end?

Decisions, decisions...

And then there's platforms. PC tops performance, obviously, but I have an AMD R290X and I'm hearing horror stories.

Nah the 290x should do great in this game.

I'm playing on a 280x with a combination of high and ultra at 60 fps

noomi

Hey guys quick question...

Haven't really had time to play yet, but I did pre-order the ultimate edition through steam.

Are there any special steps to activate/redeem ultimate edition content like entering a code somewhere or is it unlocked and accessible automatically?

Oh so GOG Achievements DO work... I just had to exit the game to see them.

Why would you do that? Play through them in order and take your time to enjoy them.

aku:jiki

People talking about how money is scarce and hard to come by it made me think if I broke the game somehow. So last night I played through Prologue zone and turned over basically every possible stone. When leaving Prologue zone I had ~1.3k crowns [main currency in W3] and ~700 other currencies waiting to be converted into usable crowns.
Seems like you and I are as thorough when we play. How is the carry capacity in this one? W2 was kind of a pain in the ass with how easily you became encumbered if you looted everything. Can you get on your horse and ride off even if you're carrying too much weight?

This day needs to end so I can go home and play! :(

Two reasons:

1) It will probably take me until next year to get to the third game.
2) HYPE!!

But in seriousness, you may be right.

That's even better for you. By the time you get to 3, the Enhanced Edition will be right around the corner for PC AND on sale! Don't give in to hype for the sake of hype.

M.Steiner

Got my copy installing now (which seems to be taking forever haha), can't wait to get started :D
Little late but loving the OT btw. Nice job.

Woo, just played my first game of Gwent and won. I can already tell I will be playing this a lot.

Anyone knows how to get rid of the gamepad detected notification when using a controller on PC?

Denzar

I'm have a crisis of doubt.

Do I play The Witcher 2 before starting 3?

I tried Witcher 2 some time ago, nut got hung up on the battle system. I know what happens in that game, in broad lines, but it sounds super interesting.

Is W2 playable with controller?

JambiBum

I hated the combat in W2 and I'm actually enjoying the combat here. It feels better than 2 because it's faster to me. I don't really like the parrying that much though so for now I just avoid doing it and rely on dodging and rolling. I avoided the arrow reflect because I just use Quen to find out if there are archers and if there are I just seek them out first.

I do have some issues with the movement though. Especially when it comes to jumping onto ledges and looting things. There was a point where I needed to go under a bridge but jumped down the wrong side. I swam to the shore and wanted to jump up onto the ledge but no matter where I tried I couldn't grab the ledge. I had to run a pretty long way around and eventually just decided to reload my save that was before the river so I could jump down the correct side. With looting as long as the object is a decent size I have no issues, but if it's small (like a item during witcher vision) then I always seem to walk over the top of it and have to readjust in order to pick it up.

Other than that stuff though I'm enjoying this a lot better than I did 2. I only stopped playing to check out how everyone else was doing and because I thought I should take a break lol.

Steam buyers get the CD-quality .flac soundtrack too.
Previously it was claimed that Steam only get the mp3 version, and that the flac version is GOG exclusive.

The location:

SteamApps\common\The Witcher 3\SOUNDTRACK\The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_-_Official_Soundtrack_(steam_edition)_flac.zip

coverh5uii.png

Track list said:
28 Blood on the Cobblestones.flac
09 King Bran's Final Voyage.flac
10 Silver for Monsters....flac
32 The Fields of Ard Skellig.flac
27 After the Storm.flac
26 Drink Up, There’s More!.flac
22 Cloak and Dagger.flac
23 Forged in Fire.flac
33 Ladies of the Woods.flac
06 Commanding the Fury.flac
02 Geralt of Rivia.flac
13 City of Intrigues.flac
18 Witch Hunters.flac
01 The Trail.flac
24 Yes, I Do....flac
05 Aen Seidhe.flac
17 Eyes of the Wolf.flac
30 The Song of the Sword–Dancer.flac
31 The Hunt is Coming.flac
25 Welcome, Imlerith.flac
35 Hunt or Be Hunted.flac
11 Whispers of Oxenfurt.flac
14 The Hunter's Path.flac
15 Widow-maker.flac
16 Kaer Morhen.flac
19 ...Steel for Humans.flac
04 Wake Up, Ciri.flac
21 The Vagabond.flac
29 Farewell, Old Friend.flac
07 Emhyr var Emreis.flac
20 Fate Calls.flac
03 Eredin, King of the Hunt.flac
08 Spikeroog.flac
34 Merchants of Novigrad.flac
12 The Nightingale.flac
(513 MB)

Started yesterday on PlayStation 4.

+ I'm playing on the highest difficulty... and it's VERY hard. The fucking ghouls on the beginning are a pain in the ass.

+ Combat system is awesome, so fast and accurate.

+ Beautiful graphics, but the camera move so fast, specially when I run, Is there a way of slowing down that a little bit? I couldn't find it.

+ Playing cards, my system crashed two times... anyone else?

+ I'm playing on spanish and everything is awesome: manuals, maps... all the physical stuff it's on spanish and translation and menus too. Great.

+ By the way... YOU CAN SELECT LANGUAGE. See other devs? It's not that hard!

I can see this game is HUGE... really huge.

How is the spanish translation, great quality like in the translated books, or mediocre like in the first 2 games?

Tovarisc

Seems like you and I are as thorough when we play. How is the carry capacity in this one? W2 was kind of a pain in the ass with how easily you became encumbered if you looted everything. Can you get on your horse and ride off even if you're carrying too much weight?

This day needs to end so I can go home and play! :(

I picked up basically everything that wasn't nailed down [weapons, armor, junk items, crafting materials...] and not once I come encumbered during Prologue zone with 60 units capacity to carry. I did vendor stuff once in a while as I like to keep relative clean inventory. Then I spent some coin and got Tamerian saddlebacks for 30 units more carrying capacity. I don't see 90 units coming "too little" any time soon.

Also you can ride the horse and at max speeds even if you are encumbered, at least it's what I saw on streams earlier.

aravuus

So ummm... money is rare eh? :D

Well, I have to take back my comment, I think. Just found a bunch of equipment that's worse than what I already have, so I'll be able to sell them for around 500 crowns.

Now I just need the merchant's have unlimited crowns mod lol.

boeso

How much story do you guys recommend I go in with having never played the other 2 or read any of the books? I don't want to be left out of any overlapping story if I can, I don't mind minor stuff. I've read Eatchildren's pictogram, am I covered? Also hows that compendium?

Feel like I'm not ready

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But, it's also good to point out bad game design. I haven't played this or witcher 2, so take that lightly. It sounds like they are in their own world and could have taken influences from other games.

I agree, but sometimes people finger "bad game design" as an excuse for "im not very good at this game and the learning curve for me is steep". Taking cues from other games is only relevant if it needs to play like those games or if something is fundamentally broken. If I were to critique Wild Hunt, I'd say sometimes enemies poorly telegraph attacks with goofy hitboxes that don't fully look like they're connecting with you (the Griffon has some weird, odd looking bite attack for example) and that makes them difficult to read and strategise around.

But being different to other titles, or even difficult by its own merits, does not constitute as bad game design. If a person can learn the game systems and apply a level of skill that results in consistently high performance without using exploits, then that by default means the combat system works. Consistency is the key word. Bad game design can be identified by high level of unpredictability and poor readability in the game systems. The original fucked up hit boxes of the dragon fight in The Witcher 2 are a great example of this. But so far Wild Hunt isn't that. Not perfect, room to improve, but what's there works.

If a strategy isn't working, stop beating yourself over the head with it. Try something different. Approach encounters differently.

Woo, just played my first game of Gwent and won. I can already tell I will be playing this a lot.

Anyone knows how to get rid of the gamepad detected notification when using a controller on PC?

God this is annoying me so much. I'm playing the game on my TV with ps4 controller and everytime I want to quickly press F10 for a nice FRAPS screenshot it gets ruined by that bloody notification telling me I've switched from gamepad to KB&M. Soooo annoying.

NZerker12

Postman came and no game.

Amazon UK dispatched my game yesterday but I haven't received it.

Do Amazon sometimes give it to couriers.

Release day delivery my ass.

Postman came and no game.

Amazon UK dispatched my game yesterday but I haven't received it.

Do Amazon sometimes give it to couriers.

Release day delivery my ass.

I'm pretty sure Amazon mostly have their own delivery service these days, did you pay for day one delivery, they do usually send you an email where you can track your package too?

aravuus

Already found two locked doors. Where's the nearby obvious side quest that'll give me the key?! Terrible game design!

Seriously though, I have a feeling I'll never find any keys and the locked doors will bother me till the end of the game lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom