• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
This is strange... can people with console version confirm if their health bar is also contextual? Mine certainly isnt but it could be a combination of UI options that makes it stick. I have tried but I could not get rid of it when not in combat.
Yeah mine is. Ps4. Not sure what setting it was if any.

Karak

I'm really impressed with the character models, having npc's look this good in an open world game is impressive.
Killing the monsters in an abandoned settlement and watching it get re-populated is pretty cool.

Ya honestly the first thing I noticed when I turned it on.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The hour and a half I spent with The Witcher was incredible. It was like we were the only two beings in existence. I could feel the embrace of Geralt, and his magnificent code. It was electrifying. Something about the way he gallops on Roach makes me want to dive deeper, and deeper into an adventure with him. I long to be with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Every tick of the clock seems infinitely distant, and equally torturous...

Ehh.

I don't have time to write all this shit.

The game's awesome though.

Feeroper

I picked this up for PC, and it runs beautifully. I built a new PC for this game a bit ago, with an i7 4790 and a GTX 980.

However, My girlfriend really wants to play this game as well but her PC isn't well enough equipped to handle it. We have both PS4 and X1, so I wondered if there is any difference between these versions? She is going to pick one up.

My gut instinct is to go for PS4, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the stutter on PS4 in gameplay. I know that X1 has the cut scene issue with frame rate, but how is the frame rate during gameplay compared to the PS4 version? Are they the same, or is there one platform that holds an advantage over the other when it comes to the consoles?

mekes

I'm really enjoying the game so far, was lucky to get it yesterday morning. I'm a huge fan of the setting in Oblivion, especially compared to Skyrim, and this game reminds me somewhat of Oblivion with its green setting and scattered hidden locations. Sidequest lines have also been fun, sometimes branching into bigger more interesting stories involving player choice.

Very good game so far and happy to own it after finding DA:I disappointing.

zkorejo

Played it for a few hours this morning and I´m super impressed so far.

I already ditched the main storyline and I´m actively looking for side content.

Can´t wait to jump back in tonight.

What a game!

Dont do too much of the sidecontent though. I did that and now I had to complete the main quest which I was suggested to be done at level 7, I did it at Level 10 and it felt easy.

Now I am trying to keep a balance.

Karak

Yeah, I think the framepacing issues on console right now are kinda hampering my immersion. Every time I think "man, that looks beautiful" the game will stutter a bit and I'll get pulled back out.

Kind of a shame, but knowing CDPR it'll get patched real soon.

Oh well, it always takes me a bit to get sucked into these games anyway. I'm sure it'll get me.
That can be a killer, for me moreso is the occasional lighting issues during daytime that can leave the grass and just overall world looking...decidedly odd. A lot like the issues that cropped up in Dragons Dogma.

I never noticed that he controls the horse via leg pressure like stunt riders and not reigns.

Tovarisc

I was exploring when the message "you reached the world's end. Turn back." showed up. Now this is what i call an immersion breaker. They could've come up with a better idea.

Like what? Solid invisible wall instead of proximity warning that then turns into fast travel mode that you can cancel out of? When you don't have infinite world to explore you are bound to hit borders at some point and I think this solution is one of the better ones, hitting some invisible wall would be huge immersion breaker.

taybul

The health bar goes away when you're out of combat AND have full health.

Yeah and it certainly doesn't look great if you have buffs since they're still displayed making it look kind of awkward or even bugged.
Like what? Solid invisible wall instead of proximity warning that then turns into fast travel mode that you can cancel out of? When you don't have infinite world to explore you are bound to hit borders at some point and I think this solution is one of the better ones, hitting some invisible wall would be huge immersion breaker.

Ran into this last night too on Roach in the woods. The border was not obvious at all. There was a little bit of rubber banding too.

GlamFM

Banned
Dont do too much of the sidecontent though. I did that and now I had to complete the main quest which I was suggested to be done at level 7, I did it at Level 10 and it felt easy.

Now I am trying to keep a balance.

Will do!

I love the feeling of being overpowered in RPGs though.

zkorejo

I ran into a few of those in the White Orchard. I havent seen that message in the Velen map yet. But I still have to explore alot... and maybe I havent reached an end of the map yet.

G_Berry

Banned
Urg can't decide if I want to keep all these items or just break them down.

Im guessing junk items in this game are just like all other rpgs?

glaurung

I was exploring when the message "you reached the world's end. Turn back." showed up. Now this is what i call an immersion breaker. They could've come up with a better idea.
I wandered off immediately after
reaching the first inn with Vesemir
. I got that message running into a forest about 20m after the game had started.

I then spent a good 10m
fighting the Noonwraith at level 1. Burned through all my food and
got my ass handed to me.

This game is rather awesome.

zkorejo

Yeah, I finished his questline last night and it's been my favourite so far.

I finished it too today. It was really good. I loved it. I even liked the ending I got for it and the other quest which is kind of connected to it.
Ladies of the woods

boskee

Meanwhile in Broland that marketing deal with MS is non-existing. It looks like Sony has its grip on marketing it in Witcher's native country.

d4qXmhm.png

The hour and a half I spent with The Witcher was incredible. It was like we were the only two beings in existence. I could feel the embrace of Geralt, and his magnificent code. It was electrifying. Something about the way he gallops on Roach makes me want to dive deeper, and deeper into an adventure with him. I long to be with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Every tick of the clock seems infinitely distant, and equally torturous...

Ehh.

I don't have time to write all this shit.

The game's awesome though.

I love when people put some thought into the things they say. It really pleases me to see somebody put not only their opinion, but their feelings into their words. It makes them fly instead of blindly crawl in the masses of aimlessly wandering simple sentences.

Don't ever change they way you talk

nOoblet16

For those experiencing stuttering and other performance issues, are you using a disc or digital version? I'm on digital, and I haven't run into any of these things so I was wondering if the disc may be the culprit.

I also found the text to be on the small side, but as I was tired when I was playing it last night, I thought it might have just been my eyes being sore.

Anyone know if there's a fast way to hop to the shopkeeper's inventory when you open it? Seems stupid that you have to scroll right past all of your own items first to get to the ones you want to buy. Same goes for the equip screen to switch out armor or weapons. Doesn't appear to be affected by the bumpers or triggers.

Digital or disc it makes no difference as both run from HDD, only difference is the fact that digital would mean you play with patch and disc means you can choose not to install patch.

I am running digital and I have run into shuttering during cutscenes a couple of times, it's not frequent.

Tovarisc

Urg can't decide if I want to keep all these items or just break them down.

Im guessing junk items in this game are just like all other rpgs?

Junk items can be sold for raw dough or broken down for parts, but breaking down costs money as you need blacksmith to do that. In prologue area (first one) I decided to focus on getting gear for Geralt and some dough into pockets so I sold most of junk items. Held on to some more valuable ones like pure silver that I found.

Ended up leaving prologue with decent gear and 1+k money.

Others who know, I was level ~3.5 when I left White Orchard. Does it sound about right for full explore and quest doing or did I miss something?

glaurung

Meanwhile in Broland that marketing deal with MS is non-existing. It looks like Sony has its grip on marketing it in Witcher's native country.
I don't see a problem with this.

Maybe there's a tiny ad for the Xbox One version somewhere in the tabloid's phone sex ads?

Chariot

I that a newspaper literally called "Newspaper"? I don't know any polish, but I had russian in school and I think the russian word for newspaper sounded just like that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm honestly surprised how much I like this game. I think the most surprising thing is the dialog. It's actually pretty good so far. I was expecting way worse, and to be skipping through most of it. But I don't mind it. Rare thing in an rpg.

However, they need to patch this freakin stuttering on PS4. Is this frame pacing? Idk... whatever it is, it's quite annoying.

Also... CAMERA AUTO CENTER IS BAD!!!!! Ahhhh! Drives me fucking crazy on the horse (and inside buildings). Constantly fighting it. Please, for the love of christ, patch a toggle. I beg you devs, if you're reading.

Saint9806

I had the game pre-ordered at Gamestop but couldn't deal with the wait until Tuesday morning. Not sure why the hell gamestop didn't have a midnight release if there were over 1.5 million pre-orders. I guess it goes by store or whatever... Anyway, since I couldn't wait, I got home around 6pm EST and hit the order button on the PSN store knowing it might take a while to download. To my surprise, it was done in 1.5 hrs and I was off. Love the game so far. My first time playing The Witcher and the depth of exploration and open world feels soo good! The views are breathtaking and the NPC's are very interesting. I'm extremely satisfied!

**Edit** I think I am done messing with Gamestop from now on. I think I will pick up my hard copy of the game and sell it on Ebay or something.

Faynwulf

This is strange... can people with console version confirm if their health bar is also contextual? Mine certainly isnt but it could be a combination of UI options that makes it stick. I have tried but I could not get rid of it when not in combat.

It totally is and I didn't change any settings.

Newman96

I finished it too today. It was really good. I loved it. I even liked the ending I got for it and the other quest which is kind of connected to it.
Ladies of the woods

Yeah,
I got left at a dead end with the "family matters" quest so went to do Ladies of the Woods. Then at the end of that one where the marks on Anna's hands appear I was like "Ohhhhh!"

I picked this up for PC, and it runs beautifully. I built a new PC for this game a bit ago, with an i7 4790 and a GTX 980.

However, My girlfriend really wants to play this game as well but her PC isn't well enough equipped to handle it. We have both PS4 and X1, so I wondered if there is any difference between these versions? She is going to pick one up.

My gut instinct is to go for PS4, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the stutter on PS4 in gameplay. I know that X1 has the cut scene issue with frame rate, but how is the frame rate during gameplay compared to the PS4 version? Are they the same, or is there one platform that holds an advantage over the other when it comes to the consoles?

Xbox One has a similar frame pacing issue. The game actually runs at above 30 fps, which causes it to stutter somewhat.

If you have both, I'd suggest going for the PS4. From what I hear, the performance is similar.

zkorejo

Yeah,
I got left at a dead end with the "family matters" quest so went to do Ladies of the Woods. Then at the end of that one where the marks on Anna's hands appear I was like "Ohhhhh!"

Have you
talked to Bloody Baron about it yet? If not, there is more to it if you decide to aid him.

No working A/C in our house made try to play on the couch last night pretty fucking awful. I only got maybe 5 minutes of actual playing (basically just long enough to get past the basic tutorial stuff).

But I sure like what I see so far, and can't wait to put serious time into this today, assuming the A/C guy does his job quickly.

My house is so damn hot that I'm actually glad to be at work today.

Urgh, can't decide to play the game now or wait until the game patched out....

The overaall impression seems to be positive. So excited!!

Audioboxer

Can you respec in the game? Want to do a 1st playthrough without a guide. I like experimenting with levelling but worry about gimping myself a little trying everything out.

Tovarisc

How do I use the crossbow on PC? I missed the prompt!!

Press and hold down middle mouse button to aim and release for fire.

Tap to quick fire and locked target.

----

Did people
find that hidden room in Palace?

Edit:
Can you respec in the game? Want to do a 1st playthrough without a guide. I like experimenting with levelling but worry about gimping myself a little trying everything out.

Yep, you can. There is special potion for resetting skills.

There's way too much animation going on with movement in this game. Makes it feel clunky and unresponsive at times, esp during combat. I find it hard to get used to coming from Bloodborne.

There's way too much animation going on with movement in this game. Makes it feel clunky and unresponsive at times, esp during combat. I find it hard to get used to coming from Bloodborne.

This is my biggest problem with the game so far, gerald feels so clunky/sluggish to move around.

Ricker

Is there any other way to see the weak against besides the small icons in the bestiary menu...like I see the small bottle with some purple/blue stuff in it....how am I suppose to know what that is...again,like the first 2 games,the inventory menu is awful.

Tovarisc

No. is it locked?

Can you please tell the name of the potion?

It has hidden unlock mechanism in plain sight.

I don't remember name of the potion and never came across information about how to get it. Some say you can make it, some say you need purchase it. Sorry.

Xando

Is there any other way to see the weak against besides the small icons in the bestiary menu...like I see the small bottle with some purple/blue stuff in it....how am I suppose to know what that is...again,like the first 2 games,the inventory menu is awful.
You can select these icons and they tell you what what is.

This is my biggest problem with the game so far, gerald feels so clunky/sluggish to move around.

I can agree with that. His movement outside of combat kind of feels like GTA. Like not very responsive/controller lag.

I keep running up to plants and running past them way after I've stopped moving the analog sticks and have to walk/run back to pick up herbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom