• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm a little confused by the vastly different experiences people are having on console. Is there really a difference caused by something related to the system or install or are some people just seeing things that others don't notice?

Yeah so far in a couple hours it runs fine on ps4 haven't really had problems with framerate drops only in some cutscenes and a little every now and then but it isn't gamebreaking or anything it still looks really good to me.

JimPanzer

Game is super smooth on my PS4.

Only thing I notice is some slight slowdowns in some cutscenes but in no way detracts from the enjoyment.

seriously, that's the second comment I read about framerate being not an issue on PS4. Have you tried combat at night with multiple enemies and your torch out? It becomes barely playable. Even at daytime combat against multiple enemies the framerate is nowhere near 30 fps. I can't believe that's an issue for specific consoles.

Gaf will freak, but the most similar game would be the Dragon Age series. (Similar but different. Dragon Age is more Group/Party orientated, Witcher would have more depth for your Character)
Ooh, that's not bad then. I liked Inquisition a lot more than most seem to.

Anyone know if playing the GOG Galaxy Version with the Steam Overlay breaks the GOG Galaxy social stuff? I noticed that when I tried running it through Steam, it doesn't update the "Last Played" time in GOG Galaxy. I don't care about that, but I'd like to see my achievements. Anyone know if I'll still get GOG achievements while playing through Steam?

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm a couple if hours in (spent some time roaming around, playing gwent, side quests), and I'm already pretty certain this game will become a classic.

Playing on PC and it looks incredible. Ultra/high settings at 1080 with 60fps. I'm constantly having to stop to take in the detail and atmosphere. I wasn't following the downgrade scandal, but if this is what we're left with I'm more than happy.

The character animations are a huge improvement over TW2. Body animations are still a little awkward at times, but facial expressions and character model detail are both vey impressive. Watching the characters converse is a joy, they spring to life on screen.

The VA is also great. Every voice actor so far has been of a very high standard. Geralt himself had come a long way since the first game, so far in fact that I think I can safely say he has my favourite VA of all time.

I tend to not enjoy the art direction of fantasy games that much. Sci-fi is my favourite, I prefer clean gleaming tech to fur and rough materials. Saying that, the art direction in TW3 is superb. The design of the armour, the weapons, the creatures, even the background characters are slick, highly detailed, and have a distinct feel. Compared to something like DA:I, this just feels leagues above.

Combat is just night and day better compared to TW2. It feels responsive, and has a lot more depth. The two dodge types make movement very responsive, the new counter system is easy to use and let's you tactically create space in a brawl, switching between spells and using potions and healing on the fly all feel fluid. Everything just feels intuitive and, most importantly, enjoyable. I'm actually seeking out encounters to test the system instead of avoiding combat and mindlessly hacking though it when I have no choice as I did in TW2.

The open world design is he biggest improvement though. I'm not generally a fan of open world games as they tend to be cluttered with bloat content and busy work, with travel feeling ponderous. So far the open world feels like a place you can truly explore, and the quests feel much more meaningful than your standard open world game. The lack of pointless collectables is a huge boon, it prevents exploring feeling like work. I find males getting sidetracked just exploring the environment because it feels so good to move through and finding new enemy encounters and hidden treasure chests make it feel very rewarding.

Little touches a destruction when you use spells to explode barrels or destroy crates ketc...add a level of depth to the world. It really improves the atmosphere.

Gwent seems like a fun distraction too.

Everything is just a huge step forward from TW2. I enjoyed that game mostly for the characters and lore, I found the combat and general gameplay a chore. CDRP have surpassed my expectations.

So far, I'm very impressed. A game hasn't grabbed me like this since Mass Effect 2. I was beginning to think I'd lost my passion for this hobby a little. :3

The CE guide is amazing in terms of being a CE (ie beyond regular content which also looks excellent with lots of details on things like abilities)

Not only do you get the art pages at the back of the guide (which has a very awesome feeling hardcover, its not gloss - its kinda "hair works" edition)

But it also has a really cool guide book seperate with a special binding/material/design like its from the witcher world with art and travel guide type infomation and lots text/lore as well as small pics

Book is huge too

Plus $10 off at Best Buy.

Super happy with it. With that bonus book at the back, it may be the best value CE I have bought.

$25 on Amazon.

A shame you can't preview the armor you're crafting. I was so excited to try on that lvl 5 light armor I'd made when I was lvl 3. And then I ended up wearing à shirt with little red ... thingys. Well at least there is no silly hood this time around.
Yeah that and you can't see what the a recipe will give you before buyng it and bringing it to a blacksmith. I've started to save scum my purchases at shops, so I don't get burned lol

styl3s

I keep thinking about the game when I should be working.

Some thoughts/questions

1) I am enjoying the character controls. I don't know if I would classify it as laggy controls as much as a design choice, like the difference between controls NSMB/DKCR or FIFA/PES. It feels like Geralt has momentum and I can easily over-commit if I am not careful.

2) I don't want to turn on places-of-interest markers because the world map starts looking Ubisofty. But if I don't turn it on, I have constant anxiety that I might miss interesting content.

3) I still have to get to grips with the character screen. Are skills only active if they are placed in a quadrant on the right? Are the four quadrants just quick changes between abilities or are all unlocked quadrants active at any one time?

4) Some of the areas scare me at night. I just meditate till it is light out.
I was approaching a wooded area last night and it was really windy and gloomy outside (in the game) and the wind was so wild half the forest/wooded area was leaning and all you could hear was the crackling of the limbs and a feint howling.

I noped the fuck to sunny 9am with that meditate.

I'm a little confused by the vastly different experiences people are having on console. Is there really a difference caused by something related to the system or install or are some people just seeing things that others don't notice?

It pretty much always comes down to this when talking about things like screen-tearing, FPS drops, juddering/stuttering, etc. Oddly enough I haven't experienced any framerate drops yet, only some juddering when panning the camera slowly and in cutscenes.

And also, the juddering only seems to happen when moving the camera horizontally. It doesn't happen if I look up or down. Weird.

Bytes

No. In fact, the PC version probably needed a limit. My save folder was gargantuan, I had like 3GB of saves.

The worst was playing Witcher 2 with the Steam Cloud turned on. Every time you closed out the game, Steam proceeded to sync all of your save games to the server. As the game went on and you had more saves, that process kept getting longer. The worst part is that while that is going on, Steam makes you wait to launch another game.

And if that wasn't enough, having a large amount of saves would cause delays when getting passed the opening intro and when you clicked on "Load Game". When the amount of saves got large enough, clicking "Load Game" would sometimes crash the application. I finally had to just turn Steam Cloud off and regularly cull my list of saves to avoid these issues.

I am glad they added back the ability to overwrite existing saves in Witcher 3. I had missed that from Witcher 1.

*phew* Got my collector's edition. Cor blimey at the contents. Wasn't expecting the game box + steelbox, thought it was just going to be steelbox. Just a pity I won't really be able to play till I get my PC upgraded. Patiently waiting for the GTX 980 TI to replace my HD 7950.

Sai

Anyone know where you can find silver? I've only come across like 2 so far and I want to craft this awesome sword I found.
There are some miscellaneous/junk items like necklaces, and tableware found at various places, that you can break down at a blacksmith's shop.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Do save imports matter in this besides story choices? Like do orens and items transfers as well as they did between W1 and W2? I think I might have deleted my W2 save and only had an early replay save left so I just selected the simulate option instead.

seriously, that's the second comment I read about framerate being not an issue on PS4. Have you tried combat at night with multiple enemies and your torch out? It becomes barely playable. Even at daytime combat against multiple enemies the framerate is nowhere near 30 fps. I can't believe that's an issue for specific consoles.

I can vouch for the Alienware alpha working quite well, producing the same frame rate and resolution as the PS4 version, with higher graphics settings.

For anyone who's on the fence, my recommendation would be the following:

Do you have an nvidia based GPU that's at least as powerful as a geforce gtx 750 ti?

Do you have at least 6 GB of RAM?

If this answer to both those questions is 'yes' then go with the PC version.

Else, take the PS4 version.

They're just grouped because of the mutagen linking bonus.

So each mutagen links to the three skills it is next to? Can that be rearranged at any time without penalty?

I have only acquired 3 abilities as of now (I am only at level 3). I guess the game will give me some hints when I acquire the first mutagen.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing the PC version on my TV and the text is so small I have to squint and sit forward to read anything.

I really like that even if you are powerful, you can still fall to lower level enemies if they have a numbers advantage. So used to being able to take a bunch of enemies at once in games nowadays. Actually have to plan or just straight run when I get outnumbered.

Anyone have any horse tips? I'm still not sure if I should hold or tap the mount button to get on, takes me like 6 tries every time to get on the horse lol. Also would appreciate some horseback sword fighting tips, I can't seem to hit anyone or anything from my horse.

Esch

Banned
Great game thus far. Only one complaint: the fall damage. You let this mutagenic paladin wizard wolfman fall more than 10 feet and he crumples down dead, its hilarious.

I'm playing the PC version on my TV and the text is so small I have to squint and sit forward to read anything.
Same with me sadly the txt and hud do not scale UP only down to make it even smaller.
When they announced HUD scaling was I ow yeah lets make that big for my big tv so that I can read it.

But it only scales DOWN ................

Also just had 2 crashes on my 1 hour that is no fun lost some +-30 min of gameplay :(

Lets hope it does not happen more often.

woen

How do you hit a drowner that is deep underwater away from the ground ? They can drown you (no kidding). First area
near the Nilgaardian Garrison, it is called "Spoils of War" and they are 3, lvl 10

ctfg23

I decided to order it. I'm not particularly good at noticing frame rate dips and such, so I should be fine. If it turns out to be an issue, I'll just wait for a patch. Thanks everyone for the responses.

Zakalwe

Banned
I can vouch for the Alienware alpha working quite well, producing the same frame rate and resolution as the PS4 version, with higher graphics settings.

For anyone who's on the fence, my recommendation would be the following:

Do you have an nvidia based GPU that's at least as powerful as a geforce gtx 750 ti?

Do you have at least 6 GB of RAM?

If this answer to both those questions is 'yes' then go with the PC version.

Else, take the PS4 version.

I'd say any gpu/cpu combo that can run the game on medium settings or more at 1080 with 30+ fps is a better choice than ps4.

The difference between medium and high is not large enough to worry about if you can score a constant 30fps with no dips. This alone would beat the console experience by a huge margin.

Xeilyn

So ive played about 4 hours, it looks amazing! The combat feels better than Witcher 2 but still feels bad, going to this from Bloodborne doesnt help. Also the movement feels really off, its very floaty and unresponsive.. Thats about all i can say for now

Zakalwe

Banned
Same with me sadly the txt and hud do not scale UP only down to make it even smaller.
When they announced HUD scaling was I ow yeah lets make that big for my big tv so that I can read it.

But it only scales DOWN ................

Also just had 2 crashes on my 1 hour that is no fun lost some +-30 min of gameplay :(

Lets hope it does not happen more often.

If you're running any overclocks on your gpu it might be worth dialling them back/off. The game seems sensitive to them atm.

I have my CPU OC's and no issues so far, bit I'm leaving my gpu at stock for the time being.

ChrisD84

How long is the initial load screen when you first start the game supposed to be?

I'm on ps4 and my game won't go past the very first load screen, i waited for like 5 minutes and it was still loading so i restarted the game and am now once again sitting here over five minutes later waiting for the game to load!

Anyone else had this issue?

brau

How long is the initial load screen when you first start the game supposed to be?

I'm on ps4 and my game won't go past the very first load screen, i waited for like 5 minutes and it was still loading so i restarted the game and am now once again sitting here over five minutes later waiting for the game to load!

Not long at all. Did you shut it down and then turn it back up?

reading text in game from my couch like
3k6zKtr.jpg

Anyone find it weird that Geralt can't sit down with a push of a button? or that the horse jumping animation is pretty funky? also when roach drinks water his whole head goes into the water lol.

Plus why does Geralt run like he has something up his bum....:p just feels odd like he has his butt hole clutched 24/7. Overall for the most part the animation selection is pretty darn limited sadly enough.

Restart your PS4... did it for me at least.

If you're running any overclocks on your gpu it might be worth dialling them back/off. The game seems sensitive to them atm.

I have my CPU OC's and no issues so far, bit I'm leaving my gpu at stock for the time being.
Nope everything is stock, 970, most stuff is on ultra but have been playing all day no problems but now only in the last hour 2 hard locks like alt+alt+del and seeing that WT3 does not respond anymore etc hard lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom