• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing on PS4...framerate is very very bad : (

I expected minor dips here and there but it feels like it's always sub30. It's worse than Evil Within (another horrible ps4 port).

roughly 6 hours in now, enjoying it a lot.

got everything maxed (including hair) at 1080p 30fps lock.

Only issues with lag are cutscenes sometimes.

Gameplay is better than W2, still hard as nails sometimes and super fun. World seems super well crafted so far.

top game

brau

Anyone find it weird that Geralt can't sit down with a push of a button? or that the horse jumping animation is pretty funky? also when roach drinks water his whole head goes into the water lol.

Plus why does Geralt run like he has something up his bum....:p just feels odd like he has his butt hole clutched 24/7. Overall for the most part the animation selection is pretty darn limited sadly enough.

Lol. need a gif of that.

I restarted the game but not the ps4, have just done that now and will try again!

Thanks, just trying this now ;-)

Hopefully that does it.

Hope that works...did you check you have the latest update?

Anyone else end up checking or cleaning their monitors/tvs after seeing this shit:

0qSlSNK.jpg
lol, if you got that from Roach I wouldn't drink it.

panda-zebra

Game is super smooth on my PS4.

Only thing I notice is some slight slowdowns in some cutscenes but in no way detracts from the enjoyment.

I'd agree with the above, but I do find I'm noticing a judder when moving the camera in certain ways when not tearing around on foot or on the horse (so basically when I'm stood still or just looking arou d deciding where to head next). It's odd, I find I can attempt to hold the right stick steady in a given direction that leads to continual and regular stutters, it takes a little while to hit the sweet spot (that's really the wrong term). I also get the impression that something is a little off when adjusting the rate of movement of the camera by very small amounts... almost like the camera is set to very specific rates of turn but jumps between them after a very quick stutter, feels very digital and jarring. Anyone else feel this?

It might be possible to tone this down, I've not yet attempted to adjust camera settings. For my own sanity I feel like capturing some footage and stepping through it frame-by-frame just to see what's actually going on, but my gchd will only do 60fps capture at 720p maximum... plus, I'd rather just get back to playing the game, it's so damn good.

So I managed to play a couple of hours before getting ready for work and man, the combat feels floaty? Might not be the right word to describe it, but coming off of playing Bloodborne it just doesn't feel that great. Maybe I just need more time with the game. Really enjoying everything else.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
In the beginning with Vesimeir(sp?) and nice little glitch going to the Inn. He's riding his horse even though there's no horse and he's going into the ground as I ride behind him on Roach. LOL.

I realize that thus far, this generation has been bug and glitch filled regardless of the game, developer and publisher.

antitrop

I'm having a blast just running around and exploring the question marks. 5 hours so far, and I've only done two actual side or main quests.

brau

So I managed to play a couple of hours before getting ready for work and man, the combat feels floaty? Might not be the right word to describe it, but coming off of playing Bloodborne it just doesn't feel that great. Maybe I just need more time with the game. Really enjoying everything else.

It does... but its definitely a better improvement from the previous 2 games. I think it will get better once you get more skills and play it some more.

Controlling Geralt is a pain.

The issue becomes even more noticeable because his control clunkiness pretty much affects me only outside of combat. In combat, the control issues become non-existent because of the two different roll types.

If it is a design choice, I'm not sure... why they thought it was a good design choice.

Staf

Gah, just got to the scene where i decide what happend in Witcher 2 regarding Roche and Iorveth. Since i didn't play Witcher 2, and i didn't had the time to do my reading before starting Witcher 3, i must now choose one.

Since i know little of these fellows i will side with whoever in this thread says one of the names first. Go!

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm having a blast just running around and exploring the question marks. 5 hours so far, and I've only done two actual side or main quests.

Exactly my problem. Not that it's a problem, it's awesome.

I haven't found an open world this adventurous in forever.

Gah, just got to the scene where i decide what happend in Witcher 2 regarding Roche and Iorveth. Since i didn't play Witcher 2, and i didn't had the time to do my reading before starting Witcher 3, i must now choose one.

Since i know little of these fellows i will side with whoever in this thread says one of the names first. Go!

Roche cause he's the best bro.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. I really want to play this on my big screen, but it was way easier to actually read shit sitting at my desk.

I have lower back and coccyx pain so for me I can't really sit at the PC for too long, but playing on my TV in bed is perfectly fine, it's just that I can't read anything. I hope they give us an option to increase the font size.

Caja 117

Roche

Edit: beaten!!!!

Fuck Roche.

Aeana

So each mutagen links to the three skills it is next to? Can that be rearranged at any time without penalty?

I have only acquired 3 abilities as of now (I am only at level 3). I guess the game will give me some hints when I acquire the first mutagen.

You get your first mutagen when you complete the main task in White Orchard. And yes, you can move them around for no penalty.

Complistic

Roche is your BFF

Edzi

My last piece of advice with combat and the game in general: avoid the trap of blaming the game for misunderstand game systems and applying them based on experience with other games. Excellent example would be dodge and roll and the seemingly lack of invincibility frames. If the lack of i-frames in dodging annoys you, your response shouldn't be "This is stupid, it needs i-frames", it should be "Okay, it doesn't have i-frames, so how do I adjust my play to accommodate for this?". Don't try to directly apply full experience with one game system a similar one when there's still fundamental differences that separate them.

I agree, but sometimes people finger "bad game design" as an excuse for "im not very good at this game and the learning curve for me is steep". Taking cues from other games is only relevant if it needs to play like those games or if something is fundamentally broken. If I were to critique Wild Hunt, I'd say sometimes enemies poorly telegraph attacks with goofy hitboxes that don't fully look like they're connecting with you (the Griffon has some weird, odd looking bite attack for example) and that makes them difficult to read and strategise around.

But being different to other titles, or even difficult by its own merits, does not constitute as bad game design. If a person can learn the game systems and apply a level of skill that results in consistently high performance without using exploits, then that by default means the combat system works. Consistency is the key word. Bad game design can be identified by high level of unpredictability and poor readability in the game systems. The original fucked up hit boxes of the dragon fight in The Witcher 2 are a great example of this. But so far Wild Hunt isn't that. Not perfect, room to improve, but what's there works.

If a strategy isn't working, stop beating yourself over the head with it. Try something different. Approach encounters differently.

I know you posted this a while ago, but I'm really glad someone finally said something like this. Too often is this a problem when a new highly anticipated game comes out, and it gets really tiring to see it happen. So many of the early complaints in this thread were comparing the game to Bloodborne, which is just ridiculous. Just because a game doesn't control the way one game did does not mean it's broken, it just means its different. People also need to accept that they can not like something without it being bad.

zonezeus

I was supposed to do something productive today, but I've already played the game for 7 hours so I might as well spend the rest of the day playing, right?

As for impressions, let's just say I hate everything open-world but I love what I'm seeing so far. I've always found open-world games either boring or "soulless", but this one is neither.

Alright, I just bought the game. The little memo inside the package says to visit thewitcher.com to get information on how to obtain the 16 free DLCs, but I'm not finding it. Can anyone help ? What do I have to do ?

Man, I wasn't a big fan of Witcher 2 so I was concerned that I wouldnt like W3 despite looking so promising

Blown away by how good it is.

So much so, that I am now thinking of going back and playing through Witcher 2 just to experience it and the characters (i believe many key ally type character in W3 were in W2 right?)

Anyone else get the hang of the combat pretty much straight away? As long as you dodge frequently, time your strikes right and correctly judge your distance from the enemy it starts to flow really well and becomes so enjoyable.

OCD Guy

I realize that thus far, this generation has been bug and glitch filled regardless of the game, developer and publisher.

Yeah I can't remember the last time a game released that didn't need a day one patch to fix issues.

Nintendo are defintely the best when it comes to releasing polished games.

I like this game but man is it overwhelming! I haven't got a damn clue about half of what I'm doing. I think this is why I normally stay away from rpg games.

And this game is probably going to be wasted on me as I'm not even paying attention to half of the cutscenes and I'm trying to skip most of it lol all I hear when they talk is "blah blah blah nilfgard blah blah blah". That probably comes from the fact that on a personal level I don't like all the game of thrones, hobbit type stuff that I'd put this under.

But I'm enjoying the actual gameplay so that's what matters...

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
Ok random question I posted in spoiler thread but no response so figure I'll try here.

How hard is it to avoid the "love scenes" and Nudity? I love these games but this has become a point of contention recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give.

In terms of combat feeling wonky you can expect that effect for any game if you play it after bloodborne lol, can't really compare the two in that aspect. I'm playing witcher 3 after playing dragon age and the combat seems fantastic to me.

The combat has a few things that have been bugging me but I think the smallest and most annoying one is the range at which you can lock on.

IT'S SO SMALL!

Zakalwe

Banned

Iorveth might be less of a bro than Roche, but his story was much more in line with Geralt's character.

squidyj

Combat is okay, the actual movement of geralt is pretty good but the camera is troublesome as is locking on.

outside of combat Geralt not being able to turn on the head of a pin is somewhat frustrating when I find myself circling around something I want to loot.

If they could make camera tracking stronger and lock-on better i'd be pretty happy with combat.

Artanisix

Yeah, I haven't even continued the TALK TO PPL ABOUT YENNEFER quest yet (literally the first quest from starting the game). Still working my way around White Orchard knocking out quests, killing monsters, opening treasures, etc. Feels great, I've played for about four hours so far.

Zakalwe

Banned
Can't wait to get off work and pick this up.

PC has a gtx670, so I should go ps4 right?

I think your 670 will run the game at a stable 30fps with a mix of medium and high settings at the very least (dependent on the rest of your build).

The ps4 has frame rate issues that dip below 30 I to the 20s. You might have to turn down some settings but even if you have to drop a little below the ps4 standard you're going to get a much, much better performance (or at least the option of it).

The game is very easy on VRAM, so even if your 670 is a 2gb model you have little to worry about.

Come check some user feedback in the PC performance thread before you make up you mind.

Horp

My game crashes about once every 15 minutes. Getting a bit annoying.
It locks up so I can't do anything, and I can't even close it using task manager, I have to log out.
Very frustrating.

Controlling Geralt is a pain.

The issue becomes even more noticeable because his control clunkiness pretty much affects me only outside of combat. In combat, the control issues become non-existent because of the two different roll types.

If it is a design choice, I'm not sure... why they thought it was a good design choice.

Yeah i feel the same way, the way Geralt controls outside of combat is pretty clunky and he has a really hard time running and jumping and turning plus stopping. Like they put to much weight in his animations and it feels like it can get away from you, if you push to hard. Which is not like real life so it feels unnatural.

And the camera is almost as funky as a dark souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom