• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone else end up checking or cleaning their monitors/tvs after seeing this shit:

0qSlSNK.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Couple of questions:

1: kb/m or controller

2: White Orchid, fully explore or get out as soon as you can ala DA:I

3: Huge maps with plenty of stuff to do scare me, so daunting, reassure me?

1. I'm loving the controller controls, but I was also happy with using a pad during my replay of TW2.

2. Up to you. It's a good introductory to the kind of mission types you'll find outside. It's not like Hinterlands where it's all medial, boring shit though; the quests are simple, but interesting, and geared to your level. You can return if you want later on, so if you feel the drive to do everything by all means do so. Otherwise just come back.

3. Insanely huge with an insane amount of content. Just keep focused on main missions and exploring incrementally and you'll be fine.

Yeah the horse mounting bothers me.

Also anybody have links to Ps4 dlc? On mobile

I think Red Dead spoiled me in that regard. Mounting horses was perfect in that game.

As for the DLC, it doesn't seem to be on the store yet. Weirdly enough under 'New This Week' they're saying Final Fantasy Type-0 just released yesterday...

JeffG

So I'm gonna ask now that the game is out, is anyone having issues with text size? Especially of items on the ground? I understand my eyes aren't perfect but I can't be the only one.

Yep...Damn old eyes. Had to go with Large HUD and even then the text is small.

Ibuki

Banned
I think Red Dead spoiled me in that regard. Mounting horses was perfect in that game.

As for the DLC, it doesn't seem to be on the store yet. Weirdly enough under 'New This Week' they're saying Final Fantasy Type-0 just released yesterday...

Probably because that's type 0 without the XV demo.

erawsd

Couple of questions:

1: kb/m or controller

2: White Orchid, fully explore or get out as soon as you can ala DA:I

3: Huge maps with plenty of stuff to do scare me, so daunting, reassure me?

1. Try both and see which you like.
2. White Orchard is actually pretty cool, not at all a chore like the Hinterlands.
3. Just explore and have fun, there is no detriment to doing so -- just save often!. If you arent having fun exploring then stick to quests, they do a great job of leading you through the world regardless.

OCD Guy

Aside from the choppy frame rate, I think way Geralt controls is a design choice, in the same way killzone 2 was. As opposed to just being broken controls that some people are complaining about.

If you say move the analogue stick slowly to make him walk and then release the analogue stick, Geralt takes a split second to stop walking due to momentum built.

I do feel that over time people will get used to it if they give it a chance. I remember people complaining about killzone as again the momentum etc felt odd when compared to other games.

Anyone know of PC remapping software that will let me map simultaneous button presses to a single key?

Essentially I would like to bind quicksave to something like A+X since the game seems to already use all of the controller buttons in the normal config.

5 hours into this game and I know it's still very early especially for a game with huge scale like this but so far I really like the game. Playing this game on PC with everything maxed out except for Ambient Occlusion and the game simply looks amazing.

Combat wise TW3 is more or less the same from TW2 but more refined, which is good.

I also like how TW3 can be scary at times especially during the nights. I feel uneasy traveling through the woods during the nights.

Started out with keyboard and mouse control but in the end I find playing TW3 with X360 controller is far more enjoyable. But then again I'm a console gamer so maybe I'm just bias towards controller.

Again, this is just my quick impression of the game. My opinion might change as I play the game :)

Ferrio

Banned
Played a bit last night, didn't get too far. Fighting a wraith 5 levels above you on the hardest difficulty was a lot of fun.

Liking the characters I come across so far, the whole feeling of being stuck between a war with no real alliance is weird.

First off, the HUD in this game is absolute trash. Customization does nothing to save it because the options are so limited.

However, it did get me to disable the minimap completely, along with pretty much everything but the Items in the bottom left and healthbar.

Playing on Death March + no-minimap, it's been an absolute blast so far. My only issue is that getting to the world map takes too many button presses. However, exploration for me has skyrocketed without a mini-map.

And the side-quests, they are fantastic so far. I finally managed to hit level 2 off the completion of one just now. Should make fighting level 6 bears and drowners... somewhat easier.

Wreav

Banned
I was offered an expansion pass to purchase when I picked up my preorder at Best Buy. I thought all the DLC was free...

Skyzard

Banned
Been having guards attack me for fighting things near the road - I think, so I've tried to be a bit more careful...but there were these drowners right near the road and just staying there so I fought them...near the end a guard comes by and after the last drowner falls, he goes near him (which is also were I was) and swings at it with his sword while riding his horse. I thought he may have been going for me but it was a bit odd as I wasn't THAT close to the road... yet he keeps coming by to swing at me, the drowner is dead. I walk off to the side...he's in a loop going for the dead drowner and then aligning his horse for another swing.

NOt sure what you mean????

The spots in the outlined circles lol :p

Looks like dust on a camera lens effect. Why even...I dunno.

erawsd

Aside from the choppy frame rate, I think way Geralt controls is a design choice, in the same way killzone 2 was. As opposed to just being broken controls that some people are complaint about.

If you say move the analogue stick slowly to make him walk and then release the analogue stick, Geralt takes a split second to stop walking due to momentum built.

I do feel that over time people will get used to it if they give it a chance. I remember people complaining about killzone as again the momentum etc felt odd when compared to other games.

Yeah I'm sure it is a design choice. You can also see it in the way the way he makes a full 180 turn, instead of just instantly doing an about face as you would expect. I definitely started to get use to it last night. I'm still not sure it was a good design choice since it really doesn't seem like it adds anything but frustration in controlling Geralt.

ironcreed

Banned
Aside from the choppy frame rate, I think way Geralt controls is a design choice, in the same way killzone 2 was. As opposed to just being broken controls that some people are complaint about.

I love the way Geralt controls here. When fighting locked on and circling, he slowly stalks like a wolf would. Then once you get the timing with quick steps and rolling down it just feels beautiful. Like a dance of dealing death.

Combine that with what is seemingly an awful frame rate on Xbox One...yikes. Nothing feels smooth. Not even opening simple menus. I feel input lag at all times and sometimes there is no response at all to button presses. Why, why did I choose to go digital with this title.

I've probably put like 5 hours in on the Xbox version and haven't really noticed anything.

I was offered an expansion pass to purchase when I picked up my preorder at Best Buy. I thought all the DLC was free...

There's the 16 DLC items (hair styles, armor, etc) that are free.

Then there's two big expansions which are part of the pass. One comes in October, and the other sometime in early 2016.

Saint9806

So, what's the verdict on the collectors guide? Is it worth buying? Just a couple hours in and I have a feeling this game can get overwhelming. Thinking about picking up the guide.

ctfg23

I was about to order this for PS4 but reading about the technical issues here has me worried. Should I wait or just get it now?

Yeah, it is. Actually the click on the touchpad seems to exit straight to the game no matter where you are in the menus.

Bram in the first village has the armor for sale. They are level 4 restricted though.

Are you on GOG, because I just visited him and no armor. Why doesn't this game have some kind of menu that you can see which DLC is activated.

OCD Guy

Yeah I'm sure it is a design choice. You can also see it in the way the way he makes a full 180 turn, instead of just instantly doing an about face as you would expect. I definitely started to get use to it last night. I'm still not sure it was a good design choice since it really doesn't seem like it adds anything but frustration in controlling Geralt.

Yeah you're right about the 180 turn, that's another good example, you can clearly see that he does a full animation, and if you try turning again before the animation has completed it won't do anything. In other games characters tend to turn instantly, with zero momentum and animations can break, it's pretty much set that the user inputs get priority.

In this game though until Geralts momentum has finished he's not doing anything. It feels weird but in the few hours I've been playing it's becoming "normal" and I'm compensating for it.

I was about to order this for PS4 but reading about the technical issues here has me worried. Should I wait or just get it now?

Depends on how sensitive you are to things and how much they bother you. It's more than playable, and I suspect to the vast majority of people there's no issue at all, but people who are more sensitive to stutters might want to wait for a patch or two to address it. That's what I'm gonna do...if I can resist the temptation to play it, lol.

The stuttering isn't bad at all, it mostly happens when panning the camera slowly and in some cutscenes.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Whats your PCs specs?

Im also on the low end and now youve worried me

My laptop is pretty far below the min and I can run the game fine, played for like 3ish hours last night.

I get 17 fps in towns and NPC heavy areas but out in the open field I come very close to keeping a stable 30.

Game is very very playable.

Since that post I've been able to bump a few settings off low up to med and it looks better while running about the same.

Dany

Banned
There are slight dips in frame rate, but I barely notice them. Considering the scale of this game I'm not surprised. Game is gorgeous. On PS4

bombshell

Are you on GOG, because I just visited him and no armor. Why doesn't this game have some kind of menu that you can see which DLC is activated.

Nope, PS4.

I simply downloaded the DLC, booted the game and checked the inn-keeper first, she didn't have it, but bram next to the inn has the armor pieces for sale.

So, what's the verdict on the collectors guide? Is it worth buying? Just a couple hours in and I have a feeling this game can get overwhelming. Thinking about picking up the guide.
Probably yes. Mine gets here today. Assuming they detail secrets and side Mission locations it'll be worth it as it will take a while before an online guide has the info

NZerker12

The weather effects are amazing, I love how it goes from sunny to rainy slowly and doesn't just happen like other games.

Loving the game so far.

ironcreed

Banned

Other than a couple of stutters during conversations it has been great for me after over 6 hours. But it is a massive and hugely ambitious game, so I am sure I will see more niggles here and there. I say just get the game and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom