• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

TheKeyPit

Banned
Hello, my name is Geralt. I have a Gwent problem.

whatsapp-image-2016026s9n.jpeg

Theorry

Just stick to that gear honestly. It's really the best in terms of bonuses. You will find some that is stronger certainly, but as far as bonuses they're the best. Aerondight is the best sword.

The one thing they left out though is that they should have made it such that the Grandmaster gear scaled to your level.

Aerondight is dlc right? Because i dont have that yet. :)

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Hello, my name is Geralt. I have a Gwent problem

8KAMAIM.jpg

already had all 4 decks that i bought from my local game store when the expansions released. they are the ones on the right and are the ones i'm playing with. the sealed ones, on the left, just arrived today from Jinx. i will keep them sealed as collectables. now i just need CDPR to release the Skellige deck.

Jonm1010

Banned
Welp fuck this game.

Just reached the Caretaker.

I have beaten all Souls games and play almost every game I buy on the hardest setting....I have just broken my first controller since I was in middle school. Fuck this game. Fuck this boss, Im done! Most bullshit mechanic I have came across in years.

Its not even challenging in any sense other then ramping up the frustration point to maximum by giving the enemy some stupid healing mechanic. Absolutely fucking garbage!

Jonm1010

Banned
Its not even good combat design. I could live with it if it were. Its literally cycling three or four different move sets and then using the healing mechanic to artificiality ramp up the difficulty level to the maximum. The boss is actually exceptionally easy until it starts spawning shadow things to heal itself.

Absolutely awful, bullshit game design.

Can't even express how fucking disgusted I am at this. Best DLC I have ever played practically ruined by this shit.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Its not even good combat design. I could live with it if it were. Its literally cycling three or four different move sets and then using the healing mechanic to artificiality ramp up the difficulty level to the maximum. The boss is actually exceptionally easy until it starts spawning shadow things to heal itself.

Absolutely awful, bullshit game design.

Can't even express how fucking disgusted I am at this. Best DLC I have ever played practically ruined by this shit.

did you actually beat him or you just pissed cause you can't? he was one of my favourite bosses in the expansion.

Welp fuck this game.

I have beaten all Souls games and play almost every game I buy on the hardest setting....I have just broken my first controller since I was in middle school. Fuck this game. Fuck this boss, Im done! Most bullshit mechanic I have came across in years.

Its not even challenging in any sense other then ramping up the frustration point to maximum by giving the enemy some stupid healing mechanic. Absolutely fucking garbage!

It can be frustrating at first but you need to figure out how to disrupt his healing, and then it's a cakewalk. For someone who's played Dark souls you sure lacked the patience and observation to beat this boss. He's not even hard lol

TheKeyPit

Banned
8KAMAIM.jpg

already had all 4 decks that i bought from my local game store when the expansions released. they are the ones on the right and are the ones i'm playing with. the sealed ones, on the left, just arrived today from Jinx. i will keep them sealed as collectables. now i just need CDPR to release the Skellige deck.

It's incomplete without Skellige :(

Jonm1010

Banned
did you actually beat him or you just pissed cause you can't? he was one of my favourite bosses in the expansion.
I beat him but it was one of the most ridiculous, nauseating bullshit experiences I have had in a game in some time. A 2 minute battle drawn out to 20+ minutes because of one cheap mechanic introduced to artificially increase the difficulty.

I love challenge but I have zero tolerance for forced, fake feeling challenges. If that makes sense.

Where you respect and feel the game is designed fairly and with a level of competence in its mechanics that challenges you within the rules and gameplay.

All I got from this l was tediousness and laziness. Pretty much three enemy animation sequences made infinitely more difficult by introducing a bullshit, overpowered healing mechanic. CDPR really does do everything but gameplay great.

Coreda

I put HoS aside for quite some time after encountering the Caretaker. After reading some tips in a guide and instead playing with my graphics tablet stylus instead of the mouse it was so easy I was shocked. Played the rest of the game and the B&W expansion with the stylus.

Theorry

Kinda bs that when you finish the main story the game goes back before the last chapter.
If they couldnt make choices really stick they shouldnt have been in the game imo.

Theorry

Going to play Heart of Stone next and probably get the season pass for after that.
But i am level 35 now with Superior gear. Is it worth to get Grandmaster gear still? It do you get better grandmaster gear in Heart of Stone?

Going to play Heart of Stone next and probably get the season pass for after that.
But i am level 35 now with Superior gear. Is it worth to get Grandmaster gear still? It do you get better grandmaster gear in Heart of Stone?

The Witcher sets have an additional upgrade in Blood and Wine, most of which require the mastercrafted equivalent to upgrade. I think Wolf is the exception, probably due to being dlc they added later.

So yes, it's worth getting your preferred witcher set to Mastercrafted, unless it's wolf. But you might as well still do so if you have the items and craftsmen unlocked.

Theorry

The Witcher sets have an additional upgrade in Blood and Wine, most of which require the mastercrafted equivalent to upgrade. I think Wolf is the exception, probably due to being dlc they added later.

So yes, it's worth getting your preferred witcher set to Mastercrafted, unless it's wolf. But you might as well still do so if you have the items and craftsmen unlocked.

Oke thanks. Have Ursine gear btw.

someday

Banned
I bought this game during the holidays and didn't quite get into it then. I haven't played the first 2 so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway, about a week or two ago I attempted again and something just clicked. Since then I've spent 8 hours a day playing until 3 am some nights. My sister got so into it she spent most of that time on the couch watching me and offering advice etc. It's been a blast.

My question though. I plan on getting the expansion pack soon but I also want to play NG+ right away. The plan is to do the ng+ playthrough first and do everything this time (I wanted to the first time but ultimately I really really wanted to know how it ended so I stopped doing extra quests after reaching Skellige). There are so many question marks on my map that it's sad. I'm level 30 right now and I got an ending that I liked. So, does it make more sense to play the main game again completely and then play the dlc, or should I just jump into the DLC now knowing that I don't have all of the armor that I want and I'm missing some things that I definitely want?

Thanks for any help. Man, I believed everyone when they said this game was a masterpiece but it's been a while since I've gotten so into characters and a game like this.

Theorry

I bought this game during the holidays and didn't quite get into it then. I haven't played the first 2 so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway, about a week or two ago I attempted again and something just clicked. Since then I've spent 8 hours a day playing until 3 am some nights. My sister got so into it she spent most of that time on the couch watching me and offering advice etc. It's been a blast.

My question though. I plan on getting the expansion pack soon but I also want to play NG+ right away. The plan is to do the ng+ playthrough first and do everything this time (I wanted to the first time but ultimately I really really wanted to know how it ended so I stopped doing extra quests after reaching Skellige). There are so many question marks on my map that it's sad. I'm level 30 right now and I got an ending that I liked. So, does it make more sense to play the main game again completely and then play the dlc, or should I just jump into the DLC now knowing that I don't have all of the armor that I want and I'm missing some things that I definitely want?

Thanks for any help. Man, I believed everyone when they said this game was a masterpiece but it's been a while since I've gotten so into characters and a game like this.

Had the same. Until level 8 it was difficult for me. There was just so much to understand. But after that it all clicked. Got the hang of crafting, combar and understanding other mechanics.

Btw if someone knows. There is a achievement for all Witcher contracts. I dont have any in my quest list again i got all notice boards. But still dont get it. Is it possible it als includes the dlc witcher contracts?

Btw if someone knows. There is a achievement for all Witcher contracts. I dont have any in my quest list again i got all notice boards. But still dont get it. Is it possible it als includes the dlc witcher contracts?

It doesn't include any dlc contracts, but there is a missable contract (The Elusive thief) so I'm guessing you have either missed it or failed it.

MadYarpen

Welp fuck this game.

Lol, I absolutely loved the caretaker fight... And it is not THAT hard, come on.

Jonm1010

Banned
Lol, I absolutely loved the caretaker fight... And it is not THAT hard, come on.
Even on reflection I still think it was shit.

The other fights were fine(in fact interesting) if a bit easy, the caretaker was just shit. Make the actual fight more complex and intricate and reduce the healing crap and I would be right there with you. It's a 5 minute fight drawn out unnecessarily due to an overpowered healing mechanic.

With all that said, the mission as a whole, as with the rest of this DLC so far, is top notch. Frankly better then anything in the main game except maybe the Bloody Baron.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Damn, put myself in a bad position.

I'm on the Hillock quest with the tree spirit.

I already know about the choice you have to make, either side with or against the tree. I also know of the consequences. Both choices are bad and I don't know which is more right/fitting. But since I know what happens – essentially, either save the orphans or the baron/wife – I don't know what I'd choose if I didn't know. Both choices are bad but I'd like to think I'd at least start by trying to free the tree to save the orphans. I don't know, dammit.

Theorry

I am gonna play the expansions. Is it smart to just install first heart of stone and after i finished it Blood and Wine. Dont want them to overlap or something and maybe start Blood and Wine by accident?

MadYarpen

I am gonna play the expansions. Is it smart to just install first heart of stone and after i finished it Blood and Wine. Dont want them to overlap or something and maybe start Blood and Wine by accident?

Just don't do the quest starting B&W, it is marked in red I think.

Auctopus

I love before anyone complains about a boss fight or difficulty spike in a game on this site, they first put forward their Souls credentials, ahaha.

Just finished my first playthrough of the game and both expansions this weekend. Don't even know how many hours I spent but it has been pretty much the only game I've played for nearly 2 months. What an experience!

Seeing the quest log empty now is strange and a bit sad. Still have quite a few ?s on the map though, I might try to mop those up before NG plus.

Also the 2 best expansions I've ever played, and I've played a whole lot of DLCs.

LogicStep

Question: I won't have internet for a week soon. If I play the game in offline mode, will I still get achievements? I read online it depends on the game so I'm just asking about this one. Terraria too if anyone knows.

Sai

Question: I won't have internet for a week soon. If I play the game in offline mode, will I still get achievements? I read online it depends on the game so I'm just asking about this one. Terraria too if anyone knows.
I imagine it's the same as it was on the 360. Any Achievements you unlock while offline will sync once you're online.

Egg0

Banned
Just finished Equine Phantoms. The interaction between Geralt and
Roach
were amazing.

"What the fuck do you think I'm doing?!"

Just finished Equine Phantoms. The interaction between Geralt and
Roach
were amazing.

"What the fuck do you think I'm doing?!"

I was laughing my ass off the whole quest. Felt sad when it ended, knowing I would never be able to talk to the damn thing again.

Finally got back to it and its DLC.

I'm doing Hearts of Stone for now and Blood and Wine just after.

Man the buff in difficulty in the fights is most welcome. The battles are a litte more intense now.
Also, boo at the nerf of Axii
it's better that way though, it was OP before

Now, what can I say...why is this game still so awesome ? The DLC is of such quality, there are a lot of full games that do things worse than this.
I'll be sad when I'll beat Blood and Wine :(

Theorry

Finally got back to it and its DLC.

I'm doing Hearts of Stone for now and Blood and Wine just after.

Man the buff in difficulty in the fights is most welcome. The battles are a litte more intense now.
Also, boo at the nerf of Axii
it's better that way though, it was OP before

Now, what can I say...why is this game still so awesome ? The DLC is of such quality, there are a lot of full games that do things worse than this.
I'll be sad when I'll beat Blood and Wine :(

Its a shame i only just started playing. From what i read some signs were really OP back in the day. Igni for example i read. But alot of them got patched. Atm i dont really like any of them really. I have delusion for the conversations and active shield for a get out of jail card. But the rest feel abit underwheliming atm.

Sai

Its a shame i only just started playing. From what i read some signs were really OP back in the day. Igni for example i read. But alot of them got patched. Atm i dont really like any of them really. I have delusion for the conversations and active shield for a get out of jail card. But the rest feel abit underwheliming atm.
The alternate Aard and Yrden are great for crowd control. Each and every Sign can still be very powerful with the right abilities, and intensity buffs.

Coreda

You will, the TW3 has no online functionality.

With regard to the GOG Galaxy version the only achievements I received were when I was online, not sure about the Steam version. Doesn't even track playtime offline which is annoying. What's the point of a DRM-free client if it depends on connectivity for such things. Later installed the Game Overlay DLC which seemed to add some more achievements but IIRC I was online at that point, too (and I uninstalled the overlay since it's ugly).

Thankfully I wasn't playing for achievements.

You'll still earn them, but they won't actually unlock until you go back online. This is different from how it worked on 360.

Changing subjects, I read earlier in this thread that Blood & Wine has an alchemist who sells all the recipes you haven't found yet. Is it the one in Beauclair?

Sai

Changing subjects, I read earlier in this thread that Blood & Wine has an alchemist who sells all the recipes you haven't found yet. Is it the one in Beauclair?
Yep. The one that complains about only taking orders for petty stuff like make up, or something.

Theorry

The alternate Aard and Yrden are great for crowd control. Each and every Sign can still be very powerful with the right abilities, and intensity buffs.

Maybe i should try aard again. So alt aard and extra intensisty is a must to be good?

Signs are still strong. I've got a Sign build and feel too OP on hard mode. I can just ignite enemies, cut them, then ignite again.
Aard is great for setting up one shots against humans.

Axii is still very powerful, particularly its alternative mind-control ability, that turns the foe against its companions and buffing their damage 60%

I never really used Axii in battle except in the crowds but maybe it could be developped in order to instakill ennemies ?

I just did the
Entertain the ghost
quest in Hearts of Stone, it's so much fun.

Jonm1010

Banned
I love before anyone complains about a boss fight or difficulty spike in a game on this site, they first put forward their Souls credentials, ahaha.
For me?

It's to prevent the obvious and stupid drive-by responses that are sometimes far too prevalent around here. The "Git Gud" crowd that just looks to dismiss a criticism of a games design or mechanic - in a game they are sensitive to criticism about - as being a reflection of the players incompetence.

Theorry

Just started HoS. Is the Viper armor the next best thing to go for?
Now i have still mastercrafted Ursine. But yeah cant upgrade it until Blood and Wine i believe?

Top Bottom