• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Confidence Man said:
There's also a nice Assassin's Dagger on a corpse somewhere.

And what do you have to do to bed the Dryad? I talked to her about all the topics but it never went anywhere.

Ok what's the use of things like that Assassin's Dagger? I have so far gone through the game without ever needing my dagger slot weapon.

As stated above, you have to see the old lady in the town in the Swamp and get the lost child quest, which has you talk to a Druid, who then sends you to the Dryad. If you say the wrong thing to her she'll get pissed, so if you want to sex her up be sure and save first.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
Well, I just picked this game up at Best Buy, but I'm going to wait to play it until my 8800GT comes in next week.

One thing that surprised me is how, well, healthy the pc games section at Best Buy looked. It was stocked to the brim with new, high quality games, and the section itself seems to have grown. I was quite shocked. Are we looking at a comeback here?

PC gaming never died, it just dipped a bit for a while.

Ok, I might sound like an idiot, but how do you carry more than 1 weapon of the same type at a time? My guy just won't carry 2 daggers at once.

Vaporak

Zzoram said:
PC gaming never died, it just dipped a bit for a while.

Ok, I might sound like an idiot, but how do you carry more than 1 weapon of the same type at a time? My guy just won't carry 2 daggers at once.

You can't have more than 1 small weapon on you as you only have 1 slot for them. Non-witcher's swords are extremely useless in this game though.

Big Nate said:
Ok what's the use of things like that Assassin's Dagger? I have so far gone through the game without ever needing my dagger slot weapon.

As stated above, you have to see the old lady in the town in the Swamp and get the lost child quest, which has you talk to a Druid, who then sends you to the Dryad. If you say the wrong thing to her she'll get pissed, so if you want to sex her up be sure and save first.

No real need for non-witcher weapons, but some of them have real nice bonuses. The Assassin's dagger has bonuses for pain and poison, others can disarm, stun, or break shields.

Zzoram

I've been fighting those green dogs with an Axe since my Steel Sword seems to never hit them. Do I get a Silver Sword during Act 1? No need to spoil it if it is a major plot event, just let me know if I should be expecting a Silver Sword any time soon. I'm not that far into Act 1.

Tokubetsu

Gah im not sure what to do. Another hard decision just popped up Act 3 spoilers
Do I send alvin to Shani or Triss? I'm leaning towards shani because i feel like if i don't, the relationship will never be the same again (She's already jealous as it is!).

God dammit this game is awesome.

Vaporak

Zzoram said:
I've been fighting those green dogs with an Axe since my Steel Sword seems to never hit them. Do I get a Silver Sword during Act 1? No need to spoil it if it is a major plot event, just let me know if I should be expecting a Silver Sword any time soon. I'm not that far into Act 1.

If you're attacking them with the right style (fast iirc) you shouldn't be having a hard time hitting them. And no, don't expect a silver sword to pop up any minute to help you with them. Steel sword + specter oil is where it's at for that part of the game.

Zzoram

Okay, so I won't need anything but Steel and eventually Silver swords for the entire game right?

I bought a book for 200 oren to learn the local herbs so I could pick them. Was that stupid? What other books should I buy?

Also, is there something from those green dogs that I can harvest that I'm not because I didn't pay 50 oren for their book? I see fangs, skulls and ectoplasm.

Tokubetsu

Zzoram said:
Also, is Monster Lore worth getting, or is it just a useless 1 time boost in knowledge?

The more you know about a monster, the more ingredients you can loot from them. Certain quests won't be possible to finish unless you have a bestiary entry on said monster.

Zzoram

Tokubetsu said:
The more you know about a monster, the more ingredients you can loot from them. Certain quests won't be possible to finish unless you have a bestiary entry on said monster.

I meant Monster Lore the skill, is it worth investing a Bronze point in? The description of what it does is so vague I'm worried it doesn't do much of anything :lol

Vaporak

Zzoram said:
I meant Monster Lore the skill, is it worth investing a Bronze point in? The description of what it does is so vague I'm worried it doesn't do much of anything :lol

I honestly don't remember what it does, but you get so many bronze talents that you might as well.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
It seems like to me (still on Act 2) that books are the main money drain of this game. From what I've read you never really need to buy weapons, since superior ones are found or given out via quests. That leaves books, which are expensive but required for quite a few quests.

For instance, you'll have quests that require the looting of stuff like Ghoul Blood, but you can't loot it until you have read the Ghoul book. Same goes for several quests regarding herbs, and you also cannot make some of the better potions without reading the herb books.

So far in the game it's what I've spent 99% of my money on, and I see no end in sight. Others that have made it farther can correct me if I'm off base here.

Decent game so far, though the dialouge is pretty rough and laughable at times. The devs though are from Netherlands I take it so I can let that slide, it's not like most other games of the same style have any better. Enjoying the combat though and the setting is interesting enough.

BeeDog

Mr. Bunnies said:
Decent game so far, though the dialouge is pretty rough and laughable at times. The devs though are from Netherlands I take it so I can let that slide, it's not like most other games of the same style have any better. Enjoying the combat though and the setting is interesting enough.

Netherlands? The developers are Polish.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Argh, so one more little problem: the "drunk" effect I got from drinking potions or fighting the first boss hasn't gone away. So when I'm walking around
the dungeon
in level 2 everything is blurry and makes it a bit difficult to play. Any ideas? My toxicity is at 0 so I don't know what else to do, but hopefully I'm missing something. No effects are listed as being active.

It's actually not the developer's fault that the dialogue is so awkward at times. Atari cut down the script about 20% to save on voice-over cost. Here's a couple of examples from the original english script (which is still in a .bif file on the game disc):

A = Original script
B = Improved script
C = Cut-down script that's in the game

A. Don't make me laugh, Geralt. Simplicity suits you like a fist fits a nose, and sentimentality suits you even less. You can't deny that. You're too smart. Apart from that, who do you want to defend? Folest? A monarch who has more sins on his conscience than Phed has long words in his vocabulary?
B. Don't make me laugh, Geralt. Simplicity suits you like a fist in a nose and sentimentality suits you even less. You can't deny that. You're too smart. Besides, who do you want to defend? Foltest? A monarch with more sins on his conscience than Professor has long words in his vocabulary
C. Who are you fighting for? Foltest? A monarch with more sins on his conscience than Professor has words in his vocabulary?

A. You're right. Mine was a rhetorical question. So if not Foltest, then who? The Lodge of Sorceresses? You know nothing about it. You may be sleeping with Merigold, but you have no idea what those bitches are capable of. I can tell you they had quite a bit of influence on the postwar treaties. The resettlements, deportations, the unresolved matter of the Scoia'tael and others...
C. If not Foltest, then who? The Lodge of the Sorceresses? You know not what those bitches do to influence postwar treaties. The resettlements, deportations, the unresolved matter of the Scoia'tael, and others...

A. Then he disappeared, just like that. He wandered around that damnable tower. Perhaps he encountered a very powerful monster?
C. Then he disappeared. Perhaps he encountered a powerful monster?

A. Shouldn't answer a question with a question. Saw somebody like you recently. I asked the reverend who it was. Never learned his name, but I know he tried to get in the city.
B. Should never answer a question with another. Saw one like you recently and asked the reverend who it was. Never learned his name, but I know he wished to enter the city.
C. Saw one like you recently and asked the reverend. Never learned his name, but he wished to enter the city.

A. Apart from that, during the war he cared only for his crown, allowing Nilfgaard to plunder and torch the neighboring kingdoms he had made alliances with. Simple people are dying of hunger there to this day. Is he worth fighting for?
B. Furthermore, during the war, he cared only for his crown, allowing Nilfgaard to plunder and torch neighboring allied kingdoms. Simple people are dying of hunger there to this day. Is he worth fighting for?
C. Furthermore, during the war, he allowed Nilfgaard to plunder and torch neighboring allied kingdoms.

A. I see you don't learn from your mistakes. But that's not determination, that's just stupidity. Want me to surprise you? Fine. Remember the magic book from the Tower in the swamp? Observe some useful spells you gave me...
C. Remember the magic book from the Tower in the swamp? Observe some spells...

A. You, simple? Don't make me laugh, Geralt. But that's meaningless. Nothing will change, except for the fact that there will be one witcher less.
C. Nothing will change, except there'll be one witcher less.

A. The mage's tower? What good is human magic? Fireworks and jugglers' tricks, that's all. I doubt the tower's worth your while. Ask Yaevin, he was interested in that building.
B. The mage's tower? What good is human magic? Fireworks and jugglers' tricks, nothing more. The tower's hardly worth your while. However, ask Yaevinn. He showed interest in that building.
C. What good is human magic? Tricks, nothing more. However, Yaevinn showed interest in that building.

A. Angular houses, dirty streets. The place lacks the beauty that inevitably surrounds my people.
B. Stocky houses, dirty streets. The place lacks the beauty that inevitably surrounds my people.
C. This place lacks the beauty that normally surrounds my people.

A. It chiefly enables conversations over relatively short distances. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it. If the Salamanders were using it to communicate with headquarters, they'll have no problem localizing it...
B. It allows conversations over relatively short distances. The Salamanders may've used it to communicate with headquarters. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it
C. It allows conversations over short distances. With some knowledge of magic, one could draw quite a bit of information from it.

A. Cherry vodka for Dandelion, rose wine for me... and something for you.
C. Cherry vodka, rose wine... and something for you.

A. You see this mess all around? Bandits, monsters, and city hall barely does anything. No one knows where decisions are made or who is responsible.
B. Look around: Bandits, monsters, and.... No one knows who's responsible or where to make decisions. City hall is silent.
C. Look around: Bandits, monsters, and... City hall is silent.

A. True, but the situation now is nothing like Oxenfurt. Ah, college days!
C. This is nothing like Oxenfurt.

A. Tell me, is there a chance I'll recover? Tell me!
B. Tell me, have I the chance to recover? Speak true!
C. Have I a chance to recover?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The graphics are awesome, but my poor GeForce 7600GS is having problems running at medium especially at cut scenes, but the problem is Depth of Field whichh I have enabled. Still, DoF looks awesome =P. I am constantly around 15FPS at 1024x768 (boo) and 40 - 25 when ingame (not cutscenes).

Anyway, game looks cool, but I am not used to the combat system yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hmm, looks like it was just a Blizzard effect that hadn't worn off, because after I took another blizzard everything was fine after that wore off. Ah well, no more blizzards for me!

Woo-Fu

Banned
AstroLad said:
Hmm, looks like it was just a Blizzard effect that hadn't worn off, because after I took another blizzard everything was fine after that wore off. Ah well, no more blizzards for me!

There is a potion whose purpose is to remove all other potion effects. Once you can whip those up you'll be able to use blizzard again.

I didn't much care for blizzard. The way all of the combat is timing-oriented blizzard messed me up just as much as it was presumably messing up the enemy.

Phoenix 2.0 said:
It's actually not the developer's fault that the dialogue is so awkward at times. Atari cut down the script about 20% to save on voice-over cost. Here's a couple of examples from the original english script (which is still in a .bif file on the game disc):

A = Original script
B = Improved script
C = Cut-down script that's in the game
So it could be activated again with some tweaking. Even if the voice acting would remain the same of course.

Zzoram

they should've made you gain some XP or SOMETHING for boning the chicks, I've gotten every one in act 1 and all but 1 in act 2 (i'll get her soon) and still nothing to show for it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Any tips for dropping those red plant things in the swamp? I've had no problem with any enemies in the game so far except for them.

Zzoram

Sinatar said:
Any tips for dropping those red plant things in the swamp? I've had no problem with any enemies in the game so far except for them.

Level 2 Ingi with the Ignite boost, drink a Swallow, use Strong Stance Silver Sword, maybe put something on the sword for bonus damage.

If that doesn't work, level up a bit and fight it at the end of the Act. At like, lvl 14 or 15 it should be a lot easier.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zzoram said:
they should've made you gain some XP or SOMETHING for boning the chicks, I've gotten every one in act 1 and all but 1 in act 2 (i'll get her soon) and still nothing to show for it.

:lol yeah, you figure since even the most mundane quest sections give you a pretty decent experience boost, you'd get at least a minor boost for that. Instead you get the cards, which are frankly more punishment than reward.

Game is still a crash-monster for me on Vista 64 even though I've cleaned up my registry, set priority to High, etc. The funny thing is the performance is impeccable but the crashing is constant. I think it may have to do with the lv2g drivers, but sadly they're the only ones I can get SLI with right now on my laptop so I'm hoping 1.2 clears things up, if not I'll just keep screwing around with things. The forums have a lot of good suggestions, but even then you see many people that continue to have problems like I do. Says something about the game that I keep trying to resolve it.

FirewalkR

Oh GAF! I trusted thee and bought the Collector's Edition, not only because of the praise in here but also because it is BEAUTIFUL and has an AWESOME art book and i'm a consumerist whore. And I don't even have PC for it yet (but will soon). I hope you didn't fail me, GAF, and the game is really good!

PS: yes, I like RPG's.

Chrono

Banned
So now I've got the time to play games again, but I don't want to start The Witcher until the 1.2 patch is out. Any news on when that'll happen?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chrono said:
So now I've got the time to play games again, but I don't want to start The Witcher until the 1.2 patch is out. Any news on when that'll happen?

I believe they're saying "before the end of the year" at the forums. So :/.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Chrono said:
So what kind of problems would I run into if I started the game now? Just random crashing?

Nope it's quite stable. 1.2 is fixing some performance issues, speeding up the load times and addressing various quest and dialog glitches.

The game is perfectly playable start to finish with 1.1, it'll just be a smoother experience with 1.2.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chrono said:
So what kind of problems would I run into if I started the game now? Just random crashing?

Some people have trouble running it in Vista, others don't. I certainly fall into the random crashing category. Seems that in XP it runs rather flawlessly for nearly everyone though. It's actually the first thing that's made me regret getting Vista on my new laptop.

AstroLad said:
Some people have trouble running it in Vista, others don't. I certainly fall into the random crashing category. Seems that in XP it runs rather flawlessly for nearly everyone though. It's actually the first thing that's made me regret getting Vista on my new laptop.
I had some SERIOUS crash issues at one point in XP, the only thing that kept me going was how awesome the game had been and my desire to see it through, the problems eventually sorted themselves out. Seems like a luck of the draw thing.

Vaporak

MickeyKnox said:
I had some SERIOUS crash issues at one point in XP, the only thing that kept me going was how awesome the game had been and my desire to see it through, the problems eventually sorted themselves out. Seems like a luck of the draw thing.

Guess so, I played through the game on patch 1.1a and only crashed once after an autosave. So no big deal for me, just started the game up again and continued on. I would have preferred no crashes, but 1 crash over the course of such a long game is well within my tolerance.

Also, this being GAF and all, are there any sales-age people around who know how well The Witcher did? I hope it did well, we need more PC RPGs. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MickeyKnox said:

roxya said:
In chapter 3 I've crashed twice in a very short duration. Decided to now wait for 1.2 ~_~ (winXP btw)

Hmmm, glad (?) I'm not alone here.

Naeblish

That would be great, if it didn't require to make a player.ini file which freezes your character every so often, which is annoying like hell. They mention it on that page too.

But there is way too frequent autosaving. That wouldn't be a problem if it didn't almost take as long as the freaking loading. I'm just in act 2 now and the loading really starts to annoy me, i think i will wait for patch 1.2 too.

Roat

Banned
Thanks for the heads up, I almost let this go through to the keeper. The atmosphere and music is the best I've seen in this sort of game post Diablo II.

On stability I had to disable the second monitor since it'd crash every few times I'd click offscreen. Since doing that I've only had a crash, but quicksaving is fast so I do it pretty often.

Clevinger

MickeyKnox said:
Eh, could be cool but I don't see what this has to do with the Witcher, it doesn't even look like the same genre.

Huh? A PC RPG based on a book is pretty similar to The Witcher...

Druz said:
umm... looks like shit =/

Looks pretty decent to me. Are you expecting AAA production values or something?

Top Bottom