• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Clevinger

MickeyKnox said:
Except that looked like a God sim/rpg cross instead of a kick ass third person character driven action rpg.

There was little in the trailer besides combat... Unless the mention of NPC schedules was the culprit or something...

Anyways, here's the feature list from Akella's site, which should expand on the game's similarities:

Hard to Be a God is a role playing game with adventure and espionage elements based on a storyline of the novel with the same name by Strugatsky brothers.

The main hero is a graduate of a medieval secret service highschool. His mission is to scout and report the situation in the Kingdom of Arcanar, an indepented anarchical state. The character is a real professional who took the best course in combat and diplomatic training. He’s strong, sly and intelligent, his mightier than the whole Arcanar, but his world still has some surprises for him.

The highly developed Earth race governs the series of unexpected events in Ancanar and contacts the agent. The main hero starts his new mission in co-operation with Earth forces. The agent gains access to incredibly advanced technologies. In his native underdeveloped world, he almos becomes a God.

Features:

* Attractive non-liner storyline with up to 5 endings
* Interference of medieval and alternative future epochs in the game universe
* Simulation of independent life of Arcanar population
* Original character development system
* Innovative system of various hero’s legend generation
* Interactive gameworld, while a hero develops during the course of game, the game also develops around a character

* Real-time combat system with active pause includes many different combos and special attacks (stunning, disarming, etc) provided by some abilities and special weapon types

* Varied managing approach to mercenaries and volunteers of the hero’s party
* Sci-fi technologies instead of a traditional magic system
* Free movement through locations and random encounters using the global map
* Different style environments and landscape types of locations affecting the movement speed

* Wide dialogue tree

Ark-AMN

Banned
I'm really enjoying The Witcher. It runs ok on my PC and the performance hitches that still linger aren't enough to annoy me. Of course, there are still issues I have with it, but I'm hopeful future patches will deal with those.

Also wondering why the American version was censored. That kind of doesn't make sense these days after games like God of War and Mass Effect. It's not like this game is pretending to be somthing else other than a truly M-rated experience.

Zzoram

The drawings of breasts are too good compared to the highly pixelated God of War breasts. Oh wait, that argument doesn't fly because Conan has HD breasts.

Ark-AMN said:
I'm really enjoying The Witcher. It runs ok on my PC and the performance hitches that still linger aren't enough to annoy me. Of course, there are still issues I have with it, but I'm hopeful future patches will deal with those.

Also wondering why the American version was censored. That kind of doesn't make sense these days after games like God of War and Mass Effect. It's not like this game is pretending to be somthing else other than a truly M-rated experience.

people should remeber to just order the UK uncensored sku from GoGamer :D

Chrono

Banned
Excellent!

Would it be safe to say there shouldn't be any more issues after this patch? I'm not expecting a perfect game, I mean more like issues caused by the 1.2 patch. The last time I was into PC gaming was when I was playing a lot of Battlefield 2 and I remember that some patches, much like Windows, caused more problems than they fixed. :lol

Also, do I go straight to the 1.2 patch and only d/l that or do I need the ones before it?

BeeDog

You can probably jump directly to the 1.2 patch. Btw, does anyone have the changelog yet? Really interested in seeing what they fixed.

Code:
Gameplay and text bugs fixed:
- Fixes for Alina not being at her home when she should (Act 4).
- Wife's Tears Potion fixes.
- Fixes for usable doors on the swamps (Act 5).
- Fixes for Alchemist in manufacture giving quest items to Geralt (Act 3).
- Fixes for some items to be found in Fields (Act 4).
- Fixes for a disappearing enemy in quest Haunted House (Act2).
- Fixed problems with Alvin's spawn (Act 1).
- Few minor text fixes for all languages.

Code bugs fixed:
- Loading times are much faster!
- Saving is much faster!
- Another portion of stability improvements.
- Fix for rare "red rectangle" effect on loading bar.
- Quest tracking fixes.
- Some cursor fixes connected with finishers in tight places.
- Quest now won't update when Geralt is dead causing multiple problems.
- Autosave mechanism fixes (numeration).
- Savegame files fixes – some irrelevant information was sometimes generated inside.
- The game won't make an autosave if Geralt has an effect preventing him from talking (like knockdown, stun, push) - the result would be no talking at all for the rest of the game.
- Now you can't attack neutral NPCs if you input the second (etc.) sword sequence in them, while first attacking a hostile.
- Dandelion's music won't be 'echoed' while changing location twice.
- The game can handle broken savegames now – it returns to main menu.
- Motion blur effect won't stay active despite Blizzard potion wearing off – drinking, then changing location, then cutscene.
- Final fixes for weapons disappearing from enemies’ hands.
- Grass and small stones being multiplied – fixed.
- Fixes for receiving damage from Striga while being far away.

Art bugs fixed:
- Few level decoration fixes.
- Fixes for barghest attack animation.

Durante

Great timing! My copy just arrived 2 days ago and so far I was loving everything except for the loading and saving times. The attention to detail is astounding.

Between this and MotB (and ME I guess) this is one of the best times for WRPGing in recent memory.

CAVE343

I can't get into this game. I thought I was gonna love this game but it doesn't click.
The combat feels kinda off for me, I'm put off by the swordplay. It looks like he is doing some martial arts twisting kinda stuff.
I liked it in Heavenly Sword but in a rpg I prefer the normal medieval swordplay. I know they are witchers and all, but it seems wrong to me.

I'm not very far into the game, but the beginning was kinda bad, with alot of fetch quests. I'll be playing some more and hoping it will get better. (Will it get better?)

BeeDog

bad-joey said:
I can't get into this game. I thought I was gonna love this game but it doesn't click.
The combat feels kinda off for me, I'm put off by the swordplay. It looks like he is doing some martial arts twisting kinda stuff.
I liked it in Heavenly Sword but in a rpg I prefer the normal medieval swordplay. I know they are witchers and all, but it seems wrong to me.

I'm not very far into the game, but the beginning was kinda bad, with alot of fetch quests. I'll be playing some more and hoping it will get better. (Will it get better?)

Yeah, the game gets way better later on. The beginning is pretty bland.

Big-E

Nice. I stated playing yesterday and my only problem with the game so far has been the loading and some of the dialog feels a bit weird. On another note, does anyone have any good tactics to beat the Beast? I have never been in danger the entire game but he is owning me.

Just got this in the mail from the forum mailing list:

Clicky for the high-res version. Pretty cool stuff.

The Witcher and Armageddon Empires are my two selections for holiday gaming at the relatives this year. :)

1-D_FTW

Can anyone give me the idiot's synopsis on how combat works? I finally installed the demo yesterday and my sword swings are awful. What are you trying to do? Thanks.

Tom Penny

1-D_FTW said:
Can anyone give me the idiot's synopsis on how combat works? I finally installed the demo yesterday and my sword swings are awful. What are you trying to do? Thanks.

Basically left click when the sword icon has a flame around it. At least that's what I got from it. If you do it right he will continue to swing and possibly combo.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
1-D_FTW said:

-You should be in over the shoulder view (f1 I think?)

-Decide what stance you want to use against the enemy. Strong stance for slow/armored enemies, fast stance for agile enemies, group stance when you're going to be fighting 3 or more enemies.

-Move the cursor to the enemy, left click. You'll begin to attack.

-On normal difficulty, your cursor will change to an orange/yellow firey icon during the window you have to move to the next stage of your combo. Left click during that window while keeping the cursor on the enemy to continue the combo. If you click too early or too late, you'll stumble and will have to start it over.

Even if you don't have more than 1 or 2 attacks for any given stance currently unlocked, it's a good idea to try to string combos because the attacks will be performed faster later in the combo. Eventually you'll have the attacks for each stance unlocked fully, and the later attacks in each stance combo will do far more damage and will have additional effects.

Also, you can start a combo on one enemy and continue it on another enemy. Don't forget to switch stances as appropriate to the enemy or enemies you're fighting. When you get the silver sword, you'll have to switch weapons as appropriate to the type of enemy you're fighting as well (creature or person).

Big-E

I dl the 1.2 patch but it wouldn't run. It game me a cryptic error message. I am running vista 64. Anyone else have this problem?

man i just missed out on patch 1.2. I installed the game late last night, and all they had was 1.1. But man this 1.2 patch is taking forever to download.

Hurry up!!! *taps foot*

Naeblish

Big-E said:
Nice. I stated playing yesterday and my only problem with the game so far has been the loading and some of the dialog feels a bit weird. On another note, does anyone have any good tactics to beat the Beast? I have never been in danger the entire game but he is owning me.
I killed him with one stab. I have the skill which gives like a 30% chance of stun if you use Aard, so i stunned him and then Geralt put his sword into him, his health bar went from full to zero, some funny shit :lol .

1-D_FTW

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Just gave it a quick shot and I was playing it too much like a shooter. Wasn't pressing/clicking and allowing the animations to playout. Was constantly canceling things out.

eXistor

I'm glad I read that witcher demo thread, otherwise i wouldn't have bought this awesome game. I went out and got the collector's edition and I'm just flat-out loving it. I've had some issues with saving/ loading screens (the game stopped responding in Vista) but those are fairly rare. I'm running the game with max detail and such and it runs beautifully. But all that doesn't matter if the game stinks, which it most certainly does not.

In all my years of countless Jrpg's, i've grown tired of the genre with only a few titles really being worthwhile (FFXII, DQVIII) I've recently started playing Blue Dragon which bored me to tears after a few hours of non sensical clichéd poppycock.

BD isn't the only one, most jrpg's in the last year have been boring as hell. I've started playing more and more western rpg's and found that they are just the kind of games I need right now. Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment are just a few games I've played this year and they've all blown away the new releases that came out this year including Mass Effect (way too short with terrible sidequests) and Bioshock (good but surprisingly shallow). Only Phoenix Wright 3 and Mario Galaxy have really met my expectations, but now I can happily add the Witcher to that list.

Just made it to Chapter II and can't wait to see what happens next.

KTallguy

Banned
I was playing this a bit. I like it but the dialog was pretty hammy and I don't feel like my attacks are "hitting" my enemies. It's almost like I'm flailing around and then they just die. :p

If it gets better, I'll keep going... it just seems a bit trite at this point.

Clevinger

Hey guys, with the 1.2 patch do I need to install the first patch before too, or just this?

Thank yeh.

edit: nevermind,

THE WITCHER PATCH 1.2:
1) Start Windows® XP/Vista.
2) Exit all other applications. Start the patch executable.
3) You must select the same language that you used for game installation.
4) Follow the remainder of the on-screen instructions to finish installing The Witcher Patch.
5) You DO NOT need to install The Witcher Patch 1.1 in order to install 1.2 version.

eXistor

KTallguy said:
I was playing this a bit. I like it but the dialog was pretty hammy and I don't feel like my attacks are "hitting" my enemies. It's almost like I'm flailing around and then they just die. :p

If it gets better, I'll keep going... it just seems a bit trite at this point.

That's perhaps the one point I agree on: the dialog and voice-acting aren't that great, but it really does get a lot better after you get the hang of things. It doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, in fact most of it has been done before, but this is just an incredibly solid package.

Also with the 1.2 patch, the loading times see more than halved and I only had one crash in the game yet which came when the game went from one cutscene to another.

Fredescu

So does the demo have 1.2 loading speeds, or release loading speeds? I don't have the full version yet, but I do find the load times in the demo to be a bit slow.

Victrix

*beard*
Massive, massive improvement with the 1.2 patch. I shelved the game because the load times were pissing me off, now I don't notice them.

I love this game, and now I like this dev company. Yay!

Zzoram

Fredescu said:
So does the demo have 1.2 loading speeds, or release loading speeds? I don't have the full version yet, but I do find the load times in the demo to be a bit slow.

If I had to guess I'd say teh demo has the old loading because it came out before 1.2 was released, but who knows.

Zzoram

hooijdonk17 said:
Will this game come to the 360? I will probably buy it, but I may wait for a console version if it's due out..

There is a rumour, and a reasonable chance of The Witcher going to Xbox 360. I wouldn't expect it before Xmas 08 if ever though. They'll have to shine up the graphics, cut the load times and make the interface gamepad friendly.

Chrono

Banned
Is there anyway to check if I have a hotfix already installed?

The Witcher site says I need a Vista hotfix which I think might be the one the Crysis demo directed me to when installing it. I don't want to screw things up by installing it twice. =\

Edit: heh, it looks like when installing the hotfix it checks if you already have it first. I got a message saying something like the update doesn't apply to my system.

vesp

Big-E said:
I dl the 1.2 patch but it wouldn't run. It game me a cryptic error message. I am running vista 64. Anyone else have this problem?

I got that when i dled it from the patcher thing, but then dled it from Fileshack and it worked fine. The file name was weird, I have a feeling a mirror had a corrupt file or something.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Any clue how this'll play on a C2D 2.2 Ghz, 2GB, 128MB 8600GT Macbook Pro? This is the closest thing to getting me Boot Camped up once I free up some time post-holidays, although I am a teeny bit worried about VRam.

White Man

SnakeXs said:
Any clue how this'll play on a C2D 2.2 Ghz, 2GB, 128MB 8600GT Macbook Pro? This is the closest thing to getting me Boot Camped up once I free up some time post-holidays, although I am a teeny bit worried about VRam.

It should run fine. The game is all old tech. The only vram concern I'd have is with loading times.

Durante

I wouldn't say 1.2 only cuts loading times in half, it ranges from 1/2 to 1/5th depending on the area (and which areas you visited before I believe). It's completely acceptable now. Don't get discouraged by the initial loading, that still takes nearly as long as before. Also, as a compulsive saver I also noticed a marked improvement in saving times. Not as extreme as loading but still nice.

boco77

Banned
So like does this game get better? Got outta the intro in the castle and the game just starts in this gloomy murky field with a small village and its raining..dull stuff?
Also I havent got a clue what the heck is even happening in the story as they just set off and leave the castle without really telling you what for? Some bad mage dude attacks the castle but thats about all I remember. And what are you? A vampire? you just awoke from some slumber?

Borys

Banned
SnakeXs said:

Should run fine in 1024, maybe 1280 med detail.

GET IT.

Durante

boco77 said:
Also I havent got a clue what the heck is even happening in the story as they just set off and leave the castle without really telling you what for? Some bad mage dude attacks the castle but thats about all I remember. And what are you? A vampire? you just awoke from some slumber?
Are you playing the game in Polish without subtitles?

But don't fret, for people with ... special ... attention spans and memory there's an extensive journal. Press "J".

Durante said:
I wouldn't say 1.2 only cuts loading times in half, it ranges from 1/2 to 1/5th depending on the area (and which areas you visited before I believe). It's completely acceptable now. Don't get discouraged by the initial loading, that still takes nearly as long as before. Also, as a compulsive saver I also noticed a marked improvement in saving times. Not as extreme as loading but still nice.
Thank God, I literaly cried out sometimes when the game constantly autosaved after loading an area.

boco77 said:
So like does this game get better? Got outta the intro in the castle and the game just starts in this gloomy murky field with a small village and its raining..dull stuff?

seriously... did you not watch the cutscenes at the beginning.

Top Bottom