• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

BeeDog

What are you guys doing with your computers? I only got one crash in XP, and that was while shutting down the game. Uninstall and update all your drivers or something...

JeStaH

NameGenerated said:
Ehh...I have
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
1 GB Ram
ATI Radeon X800
XP Pro

And I run it on medium with no AA with some framerate problems so I don't really know how yours would run it, probably a little worse than mine. I'm about to bump up to 2 gigs of ram and see if that helps the frame rate and loading time.

Ah ok. Mine will probably run it like shit :(

golem

i have vista32 with all the latest updates, c2d 3ghz, 8800gtx, latest drivers/patches and it crashes way too much. every other game runs fine (incl crysis)

Proc

Just got through the "tutorial" mission and I have to say I am enjoying this game quite a bit. I read a tip to turn off the field of depth and it did do wonders for the cut scene frame rates. So now I am resting for the first time and am not too sure how to approach leveling. Time to google solid builds or just free style it? Is this game very forgiving with stats/builds? I'm very excited to sink my teeth into this game.

Ventrue

Does this game have a really amazing ending that outshines the rest of the game? I've been enjoying it, but I'm pretty bored by now (chapter 4) and I don't really feel like continuing unless something super awesome awaits.

ArtG

Proc said:
Just got through the "tutorial" mission and I have to say I am enjoying this game quite a bit. I read a tip to turn off the field of depth and it did do wonders for the cut scene frame rates. So now I am resting for the first time and am not too sure how to approach leveling. Time to google solid builds or just free style it? Is this game very forgiving with stats/builds? I'm very excited to sink my teeth into this game.

Just make sure you get the stun ability for your Aard spell. You'll thank me immensely later on in Chapter 1. The rest of the stuff, just go with the flow. I haven't encountered anything too challenging, outside of one part in Chapter 1 (where you'll need that stun spell) So yeah, it's pretty forgiving, at least so far. (I'm a good 5-6 hours into Chapter 2)

Have fun with the game! It definitely strings you along the adventure nicely. Loving the heck out of it despite the frequent crashes.

Borys

Banned
Ventrue said:
Does this game have a really amazing ending that outshines the rest of the game? I've been enjoying it, but I'm pretty bored by now (chapter 4) and I don't really feel like continuing unless something super awesome awaits.

It always saddens me to read posts like this :( Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

BTW you did know there was a demo of The Witcher to try out? You could have avoid the disappointment.

Ventrue

Borys said:
It always saddens me to read posts like this :( Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, I know, I hate stuff like this too. :(

BTW you did know there was a demo of The Witcher to try out? You could have avoid the disappointment.

I'm not disappointed, I got a fair deal of enjoyment from the game.

Lumine

Got it yesterday. I finished the prologue and done a few quests past that.

- Story is quite cliche so far, but it's not that bad that it bothers me.
- Writing is good stuff. The added humour is welcome. Some of the NPC comments crack me up. Having a bunch of peasants roam around and complain about non-humans while one of them says "I fucked me a she-elf once" was hilarious. :)
- I'm playing everything on full in 1280x1024 and it looks really nice.
- Especially the character models. While trying to look realistic, they still have a lot of personality.
- Framerate drops frequently though. Mostly in cutscenes, which is a bit of a shame.
- Too many load times that take too long. I haven't really counted, but going in and out of a small house takes up way too much time and is a bit frustrating.
- I like how they give you several camera options to pick from, but none of them seem to work perfectly. I've decided to use the TOS view for now, but I wish they would have looked at World of Warcraft and used that. :p
- The interface looks great. Clean, sharp, easy to understand and lovely art.
- Not too sure about the combat yet. It works, but the clicking on time to activate an attack or to continue a combo seems confusing. It also seems to take away from the tactical combat. If there is going to be any. :p

Overall it's pretty good. Not really GOTY material, but a very solid package.

Anyway, back to the game!

vesp

Ventrue said:

I kinda burned out right at the beginning of Chapter 4, and took some time off (which normally means never touch it again). In the spirit of playing something on PC that isnt an MMO, I made myself start it back up and really enjoyed the back nine.

The pacing picks up quite a bit, the chapters are shorter, and they become more action focused and less run back and forth tediousness. I liked the ending a lot and the end cinematic is pretty impressive.

I'd give 1-4 an 8 or so, but the entire game a 9. Really chapter 2 just needed to not drag so much, its the main problem of the game. Cool idea, but it just goes on for far too long with very little action unless you intentionally intersperse action sidequests throughout instead of doing them in chunks. Performance issues in chapter 3 made it less enjoyable than it could have been (though I think that was fixed in the patch), but 4,5 and epilogue all run smoothly again.

dalin80

Banned
getting very bored now, seem to have been running around a swamp for ages now back and forth and its considerably less then fun.

controls arent responsive i have died a couple of times thanks to running up against invisible walls that have trapped me. :-(

iam supposed to be using 10 stone things with something to do with stone golems but i only have 8 the game only sends me to a stone golem out on its own and i have no idea why., i have about 3000 quests listed at the moment so i havent got the foggiest what's actually going on or what iam actually meant to be doing.

has crashed a couple of times and the load/save times are awful.

if things dont take a turn for the interesting soon itl be going on the bay.

i HATE this swamp.

Sanjay

I just beat this game today and wow what a game, loved it. I hear that this game is similar to the Baldurs Gate series. I have the baldurs gate box set and was woundering if it matters if you could play Baldurs Gate 2 first. doest the story continue from Baldurs Gate 1?

and also what other rpgs are there out there like The Witcher?

did any one else also tell Alvin to grow up to be a Knight? when he said that he wanted to be a witcher just like Geralt and then it gave you options on what to say to him on the dialogue tree. Then Alvin responds to you and says that he will grow up to be both a Knight and a Witcher. Very clever indeed you could say it was Geralt who drove what Alvin became

tokkun

Quick question: Do different versions of the same talent stack or does the higher value version override the lower? For example if there is a Strong Steel talent that gives damage +30% and another that gives damage +20%, should I get them both?

Zzoram

tokkun said:
Quick question: Do different versions of the same talent stack or does the higher value version override the lower? For example if there is a Strong Steel talent that gives damage +30% and another that gives damage +20%, should I get them both?

I think the 5 talent levels refer to your combo level. The first group of hits (usually 3) gets the effects of the first tier of talents, the 2nd group gets the 2nd tier, etc.

Your combo can go up to 5 sets of swings, and there are 5 tiers of talents, many of which repeat, so it makes sense.

Zzoram

Sanjay said:
I just beat this game today and wow what a game, loved it. I hear that this game is similar to the Baldurs Gate series. I have the baldurs gate box set and was woundering if it matters if you could play Baldurs Gate 2 first. doest the story continue from Baldurs Gate 1?

and also what other rpgs are there out there like The Witcher?

did any one else also tell Alvin to grow up to be a Knight? when he said that he wanted to be a witcher just like Geralt and then it gave you options on what to say to him on the dialogue tree. Then Alvin responds to you and says that he will grow up to be both a Knight and a Witcher. Very clever indeed you could say it was Geralt who drove what Alvin became

I never played Baldur's Gate 1. I bought Baldur's Gate 2+Exp for $25 like 2 years ago and played that, it was still a great experience. I'm sure having played the 1st one would've been helpful but the story in BG2 is great even on it's own.

Sylar

Banned
I'm burnt out from this game, kinda. I'm only like an hour in and don't feel the need to continue on; I haven't played it in a week.

I think the major part for me is that I have to play it on Medium at 800 x 600 for no real apparent reason :/. And I can't distribute talents or someshit.

The Baldur's Gate series definitely is best played chronologically, and the story in 2 scontinues on from the one in 1, with characters from the first game coming back i nthe second.

However I'm pretty sure you would enjoy BG2 just fine without having played BG1. It's the better game. You can overcome the technical limitations of BG1 by running it in the BG2 engine with a mod.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
BG1 should be skipped nowadays. It was a great achievement at the time, but playing it now will lead to a lot of its design decisions seeming frustrating and archaic. It's full of gigantic forest maps with 2-4 points of interest scattered around randomly, forcing you to uncover the whole areas to find them. The city of Baldur's Gate itself, while large, will seem like an empty sham of a city compared to Athkatla in BG2. Some gameplay concerns can be addressed by playing BG1 via BGTutu, which lets you play the game with the BG2 engine, but you'll still have a lot of instadeath moments and aggravating waits for charm/hold/confusion/whatever to wear off.

There are several nods to the original game in BG2, but I'd say you're better off skipping BG1 and going right into the amazing sequel. There's really not much to the main story in BG1 anyway.

Meier

Okay, the old lady in Shani's house is pissing me off! I didn't see any of the prostitutes in danger at night either which was weird.. hopefully they'll be out tonight.

So far I've boned Triss (haha, I had no clue about the sex before that and it totally took me by surprise), Vesna, a few hookers, Gossip.. one more chick I think.

Fredescu

The old lady asked for
gold gloves
. I'm not sure if giving them to her stop her from throwing you out all the time. It seems that if you try enough times she lets you stay anyway, and then she keeps coming up to you saying "welcome" every few seconds while you're on the ground floor. Seems like a bug to me.

I just finished chapter 2 last night. Can't belive I'm not even halfway through the game.

Meier

No one else even commenting on this game any more? :( I'm enjoying it, but the combat can be a little frustrating and I don't feel like the story is as straightforward as I might like. Very solid though.. and plowing virtual chicks is always fun. :lol

eXistor

Meier said:
No one else even commenting on this game any more? :( I'm enjoying it, but the combat can be a little frustrating and I don't feel like the story is as straightforward as I might like. Very solid though.. and plowing virtual chicks is always fun. :lol

Well, when I'm finished with a game I tend to just move on to the next, but I must admit that The Witcher is a bit special. I've heard that people tend to get bored by the 4th chapter, but I found chapter 4 to be one of the best, I just loved the environments. The 5th chapter is pretty short though and to be honest it doesn't do a lot of new stuff, it's basically another swamp.

But on the other hand, the epilogue has to be amongst the best ever, truly epic stuff. If anyone is thinking about quitting in ch. 4 don't (you get to screw a goddess ya know). Keep on truckin' and get ready for the finale.

Big-E

GreenNight said:
Is there a way to look at your naked sex cards that you've collected? Awesome game, best RPG since Gothic 2 Gold.

Open up the journal and select Characters and then just scroll to the characters you have slept with and click on the button on their picture.

Thats a good goddamn point. Ill be patching the game regardless with a NODVD, so whats another patch to give me my god-given right to nipples.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Any of you fellow crashers have any luck getting the problems resolved?

I think it came down to SLI issues maybe, but I had to just duck out of playing the game--even though I really enjoyed it--because the crashing was too common and completely unpredictable. I would almost just rebuy it on consoles at this point for the stability even though my rig is overpowered for it even at 1920. :/

Mamesj

Banned
Where can I get this uncensoring patch?

btw, best RPG I've played in years. how many chapters are there? I feel like I put like 15 hours into chapter 1 alone :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mamesj said:
Where can I get this uncensoring patch?

btw, best RPG I've played in years. how many chapters are there? I feel like I put like 15 hours into chapter 1 alone :D

Prologue + five chapters + epilogue. Chapter 1 is the shortest chapter. It's a huge game.

chico

i love the game and until End of Chapter 3 i had no problems with the difficulty... but damn
the fight with the professor in the cave is really tough. i died like 100 times and most of the fights were over after 20 sec. Whats the best way to beat this guy and his 2 minions?
thx for help!

Sanjay

each chapter should take round 10/15 hours. any news on a expansion or mods, more people should play this game it just so good.

Fredescu

AstroLad said:
Any of you fellow crashers have any luck getting the problems resolved?
I started to get some crashing when it was loading a new area. It would just hang with nothing on the status bar. I found that ejecting and reinserting the CD fixed it up, so I'm assuming my crashes were DRM related. I haven't been bothered to find a no DVD crack yet.

Mamesj

Banned
EviLore said:
Prologue + five chapters + epilogue. Chapter 1 is the shortest chapter. It's a huge game.

That's awesome to the max. It is a very compelling game.

GreenNight said:
Its funny how if you google the uncensored patch, all the forum posts talking about it with links have been deleted.

yeah, that is weird. Maybe a gaffer could rapidshare it?

Mamesj

Banned
purg3 said:
There's a torrent of the censorship fix floating around, it's a fairly large file.

cool. If i come across it some day, I'll dl it.

so what did you guys think of the progression of the game? 60 hours is huge. but every minute I play, the story gets more interesting. i'm on the verge of calling it my favorite rpg ever (just got done with the swamps in chapter 2) but I'm wondering if it stays awesome throughout.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So I have a quick question.

I am in Arc 1:

I am saving Abigail from the crazy mob... I hit 1 on everything and put the blame on them. Fine.... I pwned them all! Now.... the fucking Beast appears, kills her... and also kills me. Is there any tip on beating this bastard?

Relix said:
So I have a quick question.

I am in Arc 1:

I am saving Abigail from the crazy mob... I hit 1 on everything and put the blame on them. Fine.... I pwned them all! Now.... the fucking Beast appears, kills her... and also kills me. Is there any tip on beating this bastard?
Do the sign that pushed things it can stun the Beast, after that it's just one clean swing.

Diggler

Yeah, try and keep her alive, 'cos she'll buff you and keep you alive while you fight. If she drops, run around like a spastic until she gets back up (she's only knocked out) - the dogs shouldn't touch you if you stay on the move.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Prime crotch said:
Do the sign that pushed things it can stun the Beast, after that it's just one clean swing.

But the green asshole dogs are gangbanging me!! =P Ok ok, I'll give it one last try.... geesh, I love this game.

EDIT: I just remembered I tried that a few times and he just quickly stood up.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yeah, I just CAN'T beat that thing =(. Should I meditate and wait till dawn, or will the thing always appear?

Relix said:
Yeah, I just CAN'T beat that thing =(. Should I meditate and wait till dawn, or will the thing always appear?
Level up your group style to have more hits so you can fight the Barghests, put some points into the push sign and stock up on potions keep one in handy on the quick-slot

Top Bottom