• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Prime crotch said:
Level up your group style to have more hits so you can fight the Barghests, put some points into the push sign and stock up on potions keep one in handy on the quick-slot

Bah.l I don't have more skill points =(. I actually got close a game ago I think, but at the end he owned me and Abigail didn't do enough to heal me up =P. Its like... impossible =(. Me gonna cry.....

It is one of the toughest battles in the game. Just use a ton of potions then hack away. What I did was run between a couple houses that the big dog couldnt fit into and killed the smaller dogs first.

I beat the game a few nights ago, checked my save folder. 7 gigs of saves, over 330 of them. Goddamn.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I beat the asshole, hell yeaaah. GreenKnights technique worked great W000t now to keep enjoying this masterpiece =D

Gattsu25

Banned
Well, I got the game, played it for a bit and beat the first 'level'

game crashes

I decide to put the game off for a day or two and get addicted to Audiosurf. Come back to the game and discover that, due to the game's outdated and retarded saving system, I can't tell which save is mine and which is my brother's

:(

Foster

I got this game a couple of days ago and now im hooked. I'm on Act 2 and I want a sequel already :lol

What books(?) are there in English and are they like the game? as in a mature storyline, similar characters?

Just borrowed this from a mate. I've got it running completely maxed out on an 8800 gts 512 and a 6600 on 4 gigs of ram, not even hitch and it looks gorgeous. The bastard keeps crashing on Vista 32 (don't have 64 yet) which is super annoying.

Is there any way to get the polish voicework with proper subtitles running with english menu's? I hate running games like these in watered down foriegner mode.

Ricker

As soon as i upgrade from my 6600GT :D ,i'm getting this game,which will probably be when the "improved" version will hit the shelves.

Shoho

Banned
Man I am really dissapointed with the game guys. I thought I would absolutely love it... And some parts I do.

I love interacting with the characters. Thats fun. But I dont like fighting in the caves, sewers, dungeons and that kinda stuff. It just sucks so bad.

I am currently at chapter 2 in vizima. vizima is not really a fun place to be at, but it beats the other locations. its all just really grim.
I want to interacte with more elfs and hear more about this war.

so far it has not been like this really cool trailer talking about the back story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5K0L73ERMw

hmmm. I have kinda lost motivation to play further in a big way, but I am also annoyed because I am tired of being one of does gamers that give up so early. Im only at chapter 2:/ Can anyone tell me how the game develop later? is the storyline and later locations worth to stick it out?

eXistor

Shoho said:
Man I am really dissapointed with the game guys. I thought I would absolutely love it... And some parts I do.

I love interacting with the characters. Thats fun. But I dont like fighting in the caves, sewers, dungeons and that kinda stuff. It just sucks so bad.

I am currently at chapter 2 in vizima. vizima is not really a fun place to be at, but it beats the other locations. its all just really grim.

so far it has not been like this really cool trailer talking about the back story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5K0L73ERMw

hmmm. I have kinda lost motivation to play further in a big way, but I am also annoyed because I am tired of being one of does gamers that give up so early. Im only at chapter 2:/ Can anyone tell me how the game develop later? is the storyline and later locations worth to stick it out?
Well, considering you don't really like it now, I don't think you'll get much more enjoyment from the game tbh.

Chapter IV isn't nearly as grim as the rest of the game and has some really nice locations, but it's also the one with the least story-development. I'd say finish Chapter II and if you don't like it then, give it up, chapter III is kinda more of the same as Chapter II (same city, different district).

It's too bad you don't like it, it's one of my favorite games of the last few years. I loved the grim atmosphere personally.
Have you been to the swamp yet? I found that to be a very fun place to run around, especially at night and when it rains, it's really effective.

Vaporak

Shoho said:
its all just really grim.
It's right there in the thread title; Moral Ambiguity generally means not sugar coating the bad/unpleasant story elements.

Shoho said:

Im only at chapter 2:/ Can anyone tell me how the game develop later?

The later part of the story does heavily involve the other races and the war. That said, if you haven't been enjoying yourself this whole time, you probably won't enjoy the later parts of the game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Just curious, is anyone else holding back on playing this game until the huge May patch? I love the game but every minute more I play I feel like I might be cheating myself out of a fuller experience.

The new patch will probably not be able to read old saves anyways... but who knows?

Sylar

Banned
I played for an hour and was dissapointed with how my PC ran it so it's just waiting there, waiting to be played :(

Shoho said:

This is where I gave up also, chapter 2. I guess I didn't....get it. Just sent it to ebay. The combat wasn't fun and I didn't even think the story was much good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BobsRevenge said:
Just curious, is anyone else holding back on playing this game until the huge May patch? I love the game but every minute more I play I feel like I might be cheating myself out of a fuller experience.

The new patch will probably not be able to read old saves anyways... but who knows?

Yep, but kind of out of necessity since it was just crashing too much before (Ch. 2). Really looking forward to it though--the game is beautiful and I find the gameplay breezy but deep.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
BobsRevenge said:

Exactly what I am doing.

Salazar

Carl Martin said:
Is this coming to the 360?

I got the feeling from interviews and such that a console Witcher was unlikely, but that their next project would have a fairly good chance of going somewhere as well as PC. Creative folks - looking forward to whatever it might be.

antiloop

I just started this game yesterday and I am loving it so far even though the fighting could be better. I dig the OTS cam, works really well for this kind of game.
When it comes to the graphics, wow. I play this at native 1680x1050 with 16x AF and it runs pretty well on my 8800 GTS 320 MB, intel dual-core@2,7 GHz. The graphics are ultra sharp and the character models are amazing.

Heck, I prefer how this looks before Crysis. But I have always been of the opinion that fantasy > sci-fi. :)

I can't say anything about the story yet but it seems promising. Standard fantasy stuff.

Sound quality is nice too and I like the english VA.

I have to replay this once the "new" version is out.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I got this game yesterday. What do I need to do to maximize my experience? Also, is there a no-cd patch somewhere?

Just got the game yesterday. They had the M and 18 version at Fry's so I opted for the 18 version. So far I've passed the first stage and I am now in the village after the castle. Pretty impressed w/ the game, though there are parts that leave me scratching my head. Most of the scenes I've seen so far have been great, but some are just really low budget(the kid and mother running from the dogs scene is one). Also, the cutscenes could have been better and the dialogs comes out very stiff. And the story isn't very coherent, jumping from one scene to another w/o much connection between the two. You basically have to piece it together yourself.

The combat kicks ass though, and the stance switching is very easy to get to. Took me a minute to figure out the combat system, but once figured out, it was very fun and rewarding.

EDIT Also, the 18 version didnt have me enter a cd key. I just started playing the game right away. Is that normal? I think its a European copy, as the ups has on it "Made in Europe."

Gattsu25

Banned
Earlier I posted:
Gattsu25 said:
Well, I got the game, played it for a bit and beat the first 'level'

game crashes
Update: That was on my XP gaming rig, on my Vista laptop the same thing happens at the same place.

I think I might have gotten a faulty copy of the game.

somesang

So I just re-started this game Sunday night and boy I'm glad I did. Downloaded the 1.3 patch which made it worth it. So yeah,
LONG IMPRESSIONS AHEAD,
filled with run on sentences and bad grammar so be forewarned.

Bought the game when it came out. I had seen screenshots and thought it looked fun and I'm a sucker for a manly dude with white hair as a protagonist, anyways. Installed and started playing, skipped all the intro movies/ cutscenes (which I regret now, more of that later) and though my computer is out dated, and still is, I like to max out settings just so I can complain. First thing that struck me was that it looked nice, but ran real choppy during cutscenes, and in my experience with gaming, cutscenes are supposed to run more smoothly than gameplay, so I got worried. Then started playing and it was running fine, even with all the craziness that goes on in the prologue. Voice acting made me laugh, babe, but I pressed on. It didn't really catch me after the prologue, I got bored everytime it loaded and I figured I'd put it away until I upgraded my pc. I did just that and never thought about the game again.

Present day. Started playing Fable just cause I had it and same situation, when I bought it, my pc was still weak, but since I last uprgraded, I went through my pc backlog. Fable isn't a great game but isn't a horrible one either, but man I did not want a fairy tale bullshit hold my hand and save the world kind of setting, but I did want an action rpg kind of deal where I could make choices and "role-play" kind of situation. Started playing NWN 2 again and I just couldn't take that either (but I will finish that along with MOTB.) Then I remembered The Witcher used the Aurora engine so I re-installed it, not with much expectations. I had never read a review, never heard anything positive or saw anything on the web besides this topic here where I never clicked on ever. There, that's the prologue.

So it's 2 am, just got home from the bar, pretty tired fed up with a lot of things going on and I needed an escape, and I turn on The Witcher. I sit back and enjoy the intro cg, which got me pumped. Like really, white hair dude was bad ass sippin' his juice and letting generic old man die. I don't consider that a spoiler, if it is, whoops. Started again, and I had configured my PS3 controller as a mouse and keyboard because sometimes I like to lie back in my chair while I play some games and Fable played better that way, so I started playing it and maybe it's just me, but it felt way better this way. Playing OTS just seemed right. Exhilarating prologue ends and I'm kind of impressed by everything about the game, honestly. Maybe going into it blind helped. Little things like kids running around, and villagers going for shelter when it rained, and even cliche things like
corrupt religious
people, whether or not that's true, whatever. It really felt like an RPG in its truest sense. Combat kind of scared me the first time through from all the stuttering and I couldn't time anything right, but now, it was fluid and it wasn't boring like most games like this. At the end of the chapter I had decided to
take Abigail's side considering she put out in the cave which gave me a really gross card (uncensored version) it's all bloody and shit
and whether or not I could have done it differently, I didn't care. For the first time in a game like this. I always like to see how a game handles decisions the player makes, and from the start, I always chose the option I would have chose if I were a Witcher, sounds lame but I have no friends so whatever.

The music is well done. The orchestration really caught me off guard, because being a big fan of videogame music, it's always a treat when it's taken seriously. It's dark, somber and epic. Redundant I know, but it really adds to the atmosphere and it makes up for the voice acting. However, I do enjoy the fact that there aren't a lot of recycled voices. I mean villager sounds the same as that other villager and so does hooker and nurse, but there are quite a few real npc's that it's mixed up enough. The ramble that goes on around the towns are entertaining as well. Feels realer. Like this shit is real life, son. I should stop drinking.

Another thing I felt they did right was the inclusion of the mini game of dice poker. Real simple but useful enough where I have to play if I want money. Greatness. You pretty much play poker with dice. I'd explain, but that's really it. No tutorial was even given I don't think. I sat there dumbfounded and clicked roll dice and after winning I thought, oh, I get it. They do streamline a lot of things. One thing that bugged me, and it still does is the inventory screen. I read through the posts here and yeah, it isn't really good. Big cluttered mess of small boxes. To make it worse, you end up carrying a lot of things without knowing it's purpose early on. Like, why the fuck do I have so much beer and strong liquor and then a daisy. After playing awhile and using the alchemy, which is great, I started to see through the mess and knew that reading books was a good idea. Speaking of drinking, after getting drunk the first time in the game, I was quite impressed and annoyed, which makes sense. The motion blur combined with Geralt's swagger actually made me smile and giggle a bit, then I fought a barghest and laughed some more. Best drunk simulation in a game? In my experience, yes.

And on to the animation and graphics in general. I'm running the game in 1280 x 1024 with all settings on high except AA on a 8600GT and quite impressed on how well it holds up. 2 gigs of ram and an Athlon 3800+ not even dual core and it makes me happy. Everything after that patch seemed to work, like loading and saving. The attack animations are most impressive combined with dodging. I actually switched to isometric just to watch Geralt prance around. I even find myself dodging for no reason to watch him twirl as he lobs off a head and hear a guy say "His head came right off!" or something like that, it's poorly executed, but poor enough that it's great. However when you speak to someone and you make conversation choices, it goes back to boring gaming mode. Cameras switch back and forth faces and bodies like NWN or KOTOR or Bioware games in general, I guess. What makes it worse is it's the same animation with everyone it seems. Recycled between hands outstretched like a mannequin, hands on hips, scratching and or a feminine hand twirl movement that reminds me of fencers after a flourish.

Back to the actual game experience. So I'm towards the end of chapter two now, and the game is long. I just entered
the swamp and met some druids
and enjoyed the scenery. The story that's led me here so far has been riveting. Apparently this chapter drags on and isn't as epic as later, but I'm still enjoying it. Playing detective and killing bandits really brings out the world I think. I'm upset that the gear you can get is limited and it seems like the sub weapons are pretty much useless and the next piece of armor I can get is 5000 gold and it looks the same as the one I have on. Normally that would bug me and I wouldn't feel a sense of accomplishment without looking stronger or without subtle ques that a simple mind can take in. Things like more hearts in Zelda, or clothes getting dirty in Shadow of the Colossus help. The story alone has been pushing me forward and that's hard to do in a videogame, for me at least.

I wanted to wait for the enhanced version, but instead I'm going to keep playing and when that comes out, I may play again making different choices. As of now, I can't help but recommend this game and that's a rarity for me. Especially cause I lurk around these boards and never have much input. Seriously, check this game out if you're on the fence, pc gaming is getting better by the hour. I apologize for the longness of this post, but whatever, that's what the scroll bar is for. For those that read through this, congratulations maybe I'll post more long drawn out impressions of games in the future.

ps sorry again it's so long and boring

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Upgraded my graphics card a few weeks ago. Waiting for the enhanced version to hit retail before picking it up! Pretty excited about it, actually!

No6

Tendo said:
When's the special edition patch supposed to hit? I'm waiting to do a replay for it to come out.
EB says 9/16 for the retail SE. Hope it's true because I held off buying it when I heard about the SE version.

Yeah they are still on target for September for the Enhanced Edition of the game. Probably going to come out right in the crushing blitz of the last two weeks of that month (end of fiscal quarter).

Tendo

There is still a patch to make the regular edition the enhanced version right? I don't want to rebuy the game.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Tendo said:
There is still a patch to make the regular edition the enhanced version right? I don't want to rebuy the game.

Yeah, there will be. September 16th, from memory.

Volcynika

Tendo said:

Yeah, like said above. You have to have registered your game or w/e, as far as I know. (I may be a bit off).

bathala

Banned
bump for the retail version of EE
I was about to buy the Steam version but I hesitated because having those books on ur hand is better.
I'm happy with with retail. All the books are printed on glossy paper. (the novel has neat art inside) The map is big and printed on glossy (i was expecting cloth like material but that's too much for $40)

my only gripe is the CDs are stack on one spindle like Lost Odyssey. :S
witcher.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Didn't have much luck tracking this down at retail, so I ordered this new release from Amazon, along with way too much other gaming loot, I'm afraid.

bathala

Banned
Mejilan said:
Didn't have much luck tracking this down at retail, so I ordered this new release from Amazon, along with way too much other gaming loot, I'm afraid.
I got mine on *coughgamestopcough*. i don't like the place but they r the only one that has the game early. At least they didn't give me the whole "did u pre-order it?" BS

bathala said:
bump for the retail version of EE
I was about to buy the Steam version but I hesitated because having those books on ur hand is better.
I'm happy with with retail. All the books are printed on glossy paper. (the novel has neat art inside) The map is big and printed on glossy (i was expecting cloth like material but that's too much for $40)

my only gripe is the CDs are stack on one spindle like Lost Odyssey. :S
witcher.jpg

*fap fap fap*

calder

Bought it this morning on Steam and started playing it when I got home. Still playing it, took me a few minutes to get used to it (the camera was insanely fast and you can't change mouse speed so my default Windows mouse speed being maxed probably was part of it) but it's really impressing the hell out of me.

Wish it ran a bit better on my PC, playing it on medium and there's a bit of tearing here and there and I don't see a vsync option. Looks pretty good, nothing mind blowing but graphically I think it's solid.

Slacker

How in the blue hell do you download the new content from thewitcher.com? I registered my game there but keep running in circles. >__<

Edit: Oh, not available until September 19. Nevermind. :p

senahorse

PATCH AND NEW CONTENT OUT NOW GO GO GO

Yes I am excited :lol

But seriously how often do you see all this goodness packed into a FREE update! I haven't played it before but always wanted to, so it was probably best that I waited. The EE was pulled from Aussie Steam and it's not out in retail yet so I picked up a copy of vanilla and am downloading the updates now. Just be warned it appears there are no mirrors so congestion is high at the moment and I assume it may be that way all weekend.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
oh yes, oh yes. I bought this game last christmas and have been waiting for this patch to play it.

my old vid card died, so I never got around to playing it and just decided to wait out this patch. i've been fucking crazy hyped to play it. oh yes bby, come to papa

Top Bottom