• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

iavi

WanderingWind said:
I know I'm really late on this one, but this article is very, very well written. Pleasant surprise.

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry, usually a damn solid suit of sites. One of the few review sources I actually consider.

Scipius

Enk said:
Lots of spoilered text.

Yes, there are some clues; see here.

And I'd like to chime in on the side that experienced a rock solid game. I only had 3-4 freezes, all during loading and all in Chapter IV only (Steam version). That includes alt-tabbing in and out regularly.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just recently finished the main storyline of this game (although I took my time to finish all the sidequests in every chapter before I continued with the primary quests). Is it worth going through the little mini-adventures that are offered as well?

Rainier

I'm not really into RPG's, but I did enjoy Oblivion and especially Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I was thinking of getting either The Witcher or Two Worlds. Is The Witcher my best bet?

Minsc

Gold Member
Rainier said:
I'm not really into RPG's, but I did enjoy Oblivion and especially Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I was thinking of getting either The Witcher or Two Worlds. Is The Witcher my best bet?

Depends if you enjoy the games more for the environments and story or for the combat. Definitely stay away from The Witcher if you're looking for satisfying combat. Everything else is great though, it's a very epic and unique story that has a rewarding conclusion if you get in to it.

StarEye said:
Just recently finished the main storyline of this game (although I took my time to finish all the sidequests in every chapter before I continued with the primary quests). Is it worth going through the little mini-adventures that are offered as well?
The Price of Neutrality is probably the best of the mini-adventures. It contains several elements from one of the Witcher short stories.

I don't even remember much of Side Effects other then doing quests to get Dandilion out of trouble.

All the other ones, if you have them, were fan made and I never tried them.

Tacitus_

Enk said:
I thought that was a interesting little twist and one I didn't see coming. I didn't really get a sense from the Grand Master that he had ties in the past with Geralt. Kind of makes me want to go back and rewatch some of the interactions between Geralt and the Grand Master to see if there was anything I missed.

Do the choices you make in the conversations with Alvin early on have an effect on the Epilogue?

Yes. His rantings during the epilogue reflect your choices.
called my answers pseudo psychological bullshit, the bastard :D

Enk

makes good threads.
Scipius said:
Yes, there are some clues; see here.

And I'd like to chime in on the side that experienced a rock solid game. I only had 3-4 freezes, all during loading and all in Chapter IV only (Steam version). That includes alt-tabbing in and out regularly.

Thanks for the read. I didn't even think about
him playing the Grand Master in "Kill the Elf" and how being held hostage by the elves and dwarves could have influenced his views on the nonhumans.

jett

D-Member
Haunted said:
"Loading Screens: Approx. 700"

That's the kind of self-depreciating dry humour I love. Self-awareness is good.

Is it really humor? Loading times probably make half my play-time in the Witcher.

Phew. Officially finished my first playthrough of the Witcher. My total play time was 82 hours. Great game and am looking forward to Witcher 2.

iavi

Question for where I'm at in chapter 4:
Is there any story benefit to choosing the book on the fish people over having naidi, or whatever the green girl's name is, heal you? I picked being 'her life-long patient' cause I thought it was a clever way of asking to smang, and i be collecting my cards, but it turns out that she meant it quite literally...

Miri said:
Question for where I'm at in chapter 4:
Is there any story benefit to choosing the book on the fish people over having naidi, or whatever the green girl's name is, heal you? I picked being 'her life-long patient' cause I thought it was a clever way of asking to smang, and i be collecting my cards, but it turns out that she meant it quite literally...
I don't think any of the options there have a story impact.

Enk

makes good threads.
Favorite sexy/humorus moment:
The elf in chapter 5. "Geralt we're in the middle of a battle and you want to have sex?! Ahh fuck it, strip"!

_Bro

Banned
Rainier said:
I'd say get The Witcher. Haven't play Two Worlds but I'm assuming that it'd be best to start playing the Oblivion mod Nehrim instead. It's an incredible mod that's easy to install.

It's better than Oblivion.

jett

D-Member
Geralt is like the ultimate video game pimp, slaying hoes left and right. I'm pretty sure I got an elf to whore herself out for a loaf of bread in chapter 4. :lol

I'm in Chapter 5 right now, I don't really like the choices I've made...but whatever. Sucks to be nonhuman.

Salaadin said:
Let us know who you end up going with.
Triss/Shani spoilers:
I didnt entirely trust Triss especially after the person in the mirror conversation that she tried to brush off. Id rather leave the young boy with the sweet nurse and not the shady witch. You are right about Shani though.

I went with Shani last night on the basis that my version of the Witcher's weakness is his lust for variety in his love life. Unfortunately
all that talk about starting a family and being a father figure to Alvin not to mention the ring scared the heck out of him
. So after that there was a visit to a certain brothel where he you know what to you know who repeatedly.

BDBEA5A64DE92132B8F4F7C8C3F56FE0156E9C29

Hopefully there's a way to
repair the Triss relationship
in Witcher 2.

Minsc said:
Depends if you enjoy the games more for the environments and story or for the combat. Definitely stay away from The Witcher if you're looking for satisfying combat. Everything else is great though, it's a very epic and unique story that has a rewarding conclusion if you get in to it.
He just said he enjoys Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas so he's obviously not in it for the combat. That said, they all seem to be open world games, so maybe he would enjoy Two Worlds more.

If I had to choose, I would personally go with The Witcher. It's one of my favorite rpgs.

iavi

jett said:
Geralt is like the ultimate video game pimp, slaying hoes left and right. I'm pretty sure I got an elf to whore herself out for a loaf of bread in chapter 4. :lol

That shit was hilarious. Infact, a majority of the card collecting in that chapter was hilarious. Middle of chapter 4:
That whole thing with the adult yearning, then the adult killing was hilarious too. Although initially, going out to search for Alina in the fields felt ominous as hell. The fact that she had already turned demon made it a whole lot less creepy. And I snitched on Adam's ass with the quickness, you don't get away with that.

BTW, does anybody know if having the cute little letter exchange with Triss means anything later?
That's the thing about these games, I love them, but damn if I don't get caught up thinking on what repercussions every choice may have.

jett

D-Member
Jay Shadow said:
Oh crap...forgot to warn people about Old Vizima. Luckily time spent there is relatively short.

I got killed right after I was done with that area, but the game didn't autosave so I'm back to doing that enemy gauntlet again...and suffering dat framerate. >_<

Forkball

I'm not digging the swamp. Everything is far apart, the area is confusing, you can get attacked at all times etc. Not even a naked green chick can make me like it. And then this elf guy gives me a quest to give a letter to this guy all the way back in the trade quarter, and then to come back and report to him. Noooooo. I'd kill for a warping spell about now.

jett

D-Member
Ugh the
the Stigra
quest in Chapter 5. Is it worth it to
stay up all night and save the bitch
? I'm borderline fed up with this game thanks to its performance and technical issues and just want to be done with it, I don't think I have it in me to waste that kind of time.

jett said:
Ugh the
the Stigra
quest in Chapter 5. Is it worth it to
stay up all night and save the bitch
? I'm borderline fed up with this game thanks to its performance and technical issues and just want to be done with it, I don't think I have it in me to waste that kind of time.
You don't literally have to be there all night. Just until the five candles go out. Doesn't really take that long. Just run around with the Quen sign a bit. Doesn't really take that much longer than fighting her.

Rainier

Thanks for the replies.

Picked up The Witcher off Steam today, and it looks like I'll be using a gamepad, I can't use WASD (hate when games don't let me re-map movement to mouse keys).

Oh, is it worth grabbing the Full Combat Rebalance mod?

jett

D-Member
Jay Shadow said:
You don't literally have to be there all night. Just until the five candles go out. Doesn't really take that long. Just run around with the Quen sign a bit. Doesn't really take that much longer than fighting her.

Thanks, I thought it was gonna be much worse than that. :p

Anyway, finally finished this huge game. Overall, despite all the MANY technically issues I encountered with the game(between abysmal framerates and constant crashing) I still rate it awesome as all fuck. Final section thankfully left a good taste in my mouth, it was crash-free. :p

Really can't wait to see how much they've improved things in the sequel.

BTW...no idea who that ghost at the end was, first time I see him in the game. Death or something, I guess. Maybe a quest I was supposed to see him in glitched? Eh.

iavi

Wow.... Chapter 4/5 spoilers:
I sided with the order in chapter 4 because, I don't approve of the elves tactics, and they wouldn't reconcile... But I just had the privilege of hearing about Toruvial's(I think that's her name.) unfortunate outcome because of it...Rayla "handed her over to the boys" then they hung her... What the fuck, man?
I feel like complete shit.
It doesn't help that everybody, including Triss, treats you like you're some kind of racist demon when you get back to Vizima. Forget this path, man.
I'm reloading a previous save. I'll have no hand in that shit.

Edit: Found a save, thank god. Puts be back just before the final conflict with
berengar. I've also decided to spare him this time. As I read his letter after killing him the first time, and felt bad for the guy.
Though, I'm torn on that one. These decisions, man, I swear.

Forkball said:
I'm not digging the swamp. Everything is far apart, the area is confusing, you can get attacked at all times etc. Not even a naked green chick can make me like it. And then this elf guy gives me a quest to give a letter to this guy all the way back in the trade quarter, and then to come back and report to him. Noooooo. I'd kill for a warping spell about now.

Tell me about it. I wish that you could just cut across the whole map from any point but no there are invisible barriers.

Scipius

jett said:
BTW...no idea who that ghost at the end was, first time I see him in the game. Death or something, I guess. Maybe a quest I was supposed to see him in glitched? Eh.

He's part of the first quest you do for Leuvaarden in Chapter I.

jett

D-Member
Okay, guess I didn't remember him at all.

Anyway, this game doesn't create a save after you finish it. Exactly which save game is the Witcher 2 gonna import?

jett said:
Anyway, this game doesn't create a save after you finish it. Exactly which save game is the Witcher 2 gonna import?
Yeah, saved game import wasn't designed from the start. I assume any save game will take whatever elements you've done up to that point and then fill in anything that's missing if it's an early save. That's how Dragon Age II handles it. You don't really make any big decisions that would have an effect on the plot of the next game while in the epilogue. You've already chosen your side way before then, which is probably the most import option.

bengraven

16 endings?

I hope they don't pull a Bioware/Dragon Age when it comes to importing alllllll those decisions into Witcher 3. And instead pull a Bioware/Mass Effect 2/3.

Also, my Steam copy has crashed a few times. Kind of strange, but no big deal.

I was at the end, chose some rodents over some fanatics, choose the short haired red head and frankly think I would like to do it differently for Witcher 2, considering how the game opens up in the development videos I've seen.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
How do I get the last sephirot? I've been doing quests around the swamp and vizier for days and I can't figure out how to get it. The journal says I'm supposed to eat a chicken sandwich or something?

Minsc

Gold Member
Jay Shadow said:
Yeah, saved game import wasn't designed from the start. I assume any save game will take whatever elements you've done up to that point and then fill in anything that's missing if it's an early save. That's how Dragon Age II handles it. You don't really make any big decisions that would have an effect on the plot of the next game while in the epilogue. You've already chosen your side way before then, which is probably the most import option.

Since equipment is supposed to carry over to some extent, just make sure it's a save with the unique final gear you get in Act V.

mikespit1200 said:
How do I get the last sephirot? I've been doing quests around the swamp and vizier for days and I can't figure out how to get it. The journal says I'm supposed to eat a chicken sandwich or something?

Try this. Not sure which one is the last one, I'd imagine it could vary depending on the person.

jett

D-Member
mikespit1200 said:

It will be given to you eventually. Do other quests.

Ark

mikespit1200 said:

You have to kill the sephirot to recieve the sephirot and receive it in the loot :)

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
jett said:
It will be given to you eventually. Do other quests.

That's the problem though. I've kind of run into a dead end on all my quest lines. I've been trying to talk to Shani about the Autopsy but the the dialogue option never shows. All the suspects in the case don't have any new dialogue options either. I did a bunch of signboard quests but some of the turn-ins are never around. It's kind of frustrating.

jett said:
Okay, guess I didn't remember him at all.

On my first play through I didn't see the ghost at all in Act 1, on my second play though I did.

So from my experience its possible to completely miss him which is a bit of an over sight perhaps.

iavi

mikespit1200 said:

I swear, this thing just appeared in my inventory one day. I was stuck looking for it, as I had every other one but it, got pissed and did a few side-missions instead, then BAM; I suddenly had it. Biggest technical screw-up of the game for me. Apparently, you'll get it at different points depending on your route in the chapter. It was given to me at none of them.

DualShadow said:
On my first play through I didn't see the ghost at all in Act 1, on my second play though I did.

So from my experience its possible to completely miss him which is a bit of an over sight perhaps.
Yeah, turns out both quests involving him before the ending are optional. Definitely a bit of an oversight.

Slo

I just started Chapter 2, got passed the initial mission and now I'm completely overwhelmed with quests. My quest log has like 15 entries. Fuck.

JohngPR

Just finished Chapter II. Man, this game is going to take a while to beat. LOL

I almost killed off Ramsmeat even though I knew he was innocent because I couldn't figure out how to proceed without doing so. I figured out what I did wrong though...I had forgotten to go into the cemetery, so I didn't find Raymond's body until the last second possible.

iavi

Playthrough complete! That was a great game. It had it's low points, marred by weird bugs and game design, that's no lie, but a great game in the end it was. The fact that Geralt came across as a likable badass, and was genuine about it, helped the game more than anything, I'd say.

Safe to say, I Can not wait to get a chance with these characters again in 2. END:
And I would normally boo the cliffhanger ending, but, "Something ends. Something begins." They did it well. Tw1 was very much so a self-contained chapter.It doesn't leave you feeling empty. So it gets a pass

And most of the banter between Dandelion and Geralt is fucking hilarious. So glad he's a confirmed regular in 2.

Slo said:
I just started Chapter 2, got passed the initial mission and now I'm completely overwhelmed with quests. My quest log has like 15 entries. Fuck.
It gets a lot better after Chapter 2 remember. Just play it off your first instinct, the consequences will work out a lot better if you don't try and go for the "winning" decision. Reading through this thread shows how heavy some of them will weigh on you afterwards.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Replay on hard complete, save file ready to import. 43 hours clocked with just about everything done (maybe a missed contract or two).

Even on hard the combat becomes trivial in late game, and somehow, somehow, inventory management is still a pain despite the double sized inventory the EE brought (was a nightmare pre-EE). Load times are nice and short now, after patches and running the game on a RAID 0 setup, but the constant transitions are still annoying. Also far too much running back and forth across vast expanses of territory. Most side quests are also underdeveloped, loot is largely useless and there is barely any usable equipment over the course of the game, the localization is rough and dialogue exchanges suffer from the constraints of the primitive engine.

Game still owns, though, somehow, on the basis of all that it does so well: truly meaningful choice and consequence, engaging & humorous dialogue with interesting characters, excellent world-building using Andrzej Sapkowski's books as a respected foundation but not a crutch, lovely music and art direction, and an adult tone that doesn't pander to or patronize the player.

The scary part is that, from what I've seen, the things that make The Witcher so memorable are being preserved in The Witcher 2, while the drawbacks are being addressed. That game has the potential to be retarded good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh indeed.

I'm nearing hour #40, and I'm likely halfway through chapter 4 (just
found out the bride-to-be is a zombie or something and met w/ Beregar finally)
. You seem to have all points covered, but I agree that it's so-so combat and uneven pacing are two of it's more significant faults. Particularly the pacing, since you have to spend way too much time on certain parts like the swamp, and chapter 2 despite being awesome overall did drag on too long thanks to an excessive amount of backtracking and longass fetch quests. It's great, though. I really have been sucked into the world of the Witcher, and I love it.

The world may not be terribly unique with it's elves and dwarves, but it feels well defined and it's grown on me a lot as I've progressed through the game. It's the characters I enjoy more than anything else, though. It's not like the whole stoic eye-scared badass thing has never been done before, but Geralt is a bad motherfucker. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of his sly remarks.

anyways, the sequel does look like something else, it's gonna be nuts

oh by the way, best part by far (end of ch. 3 spoilerz).

Top Bottom