• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

So I'm at the
beast in Chapter 1 and Abigail keeps dying. Is it even possible to save her? Any advice how to beat this part? The beast does this attack that stuns me?
Everything was going well too, until this part.

Lumine

She doesn't really die. I think characters with a green outline just get knocked out and are automatically revived when the fight is over. At least it was that way for Abigail. I only managed to beat the beast by stunning him myself with the first spell you get and then proceed with the 1hit kill move. I forgot what it was called. It took me several tries actually.

Minsc

Gold Member
EviLore said:
Replay on hard complete, save file ready to import. 43 hours clocked with just about everything done (maybe a missed contract or two).

Even on hard the combat becomes trivial in late game, and somehow, somehow, inventory management is still a pain despite the double sized inventory the EE brought (was a nightmare pre-EE). Load times are nice and short now, after patches and running the game on a RAID 0 setup, but the constant transitions are still annoying. Also far too much running back and forth across vast expanses of territory. Most side quests are also underdeveloped, loot is largely useless and there is barely any usable equipment over the course of the game, the localization is rough and dialogue exchanges suffer from the constraints of the primitive engine.

Game still owns, though, somehow, on the basis of all that it does so well: truly meaningful choice and consequence, engaging & humorous dialogue with interesting characters, excellent world-building using Andrzej Sapkowski's books as a respected foundation but not a crutch, lovely music and art direction, and an adult tone that doesn't pander to or patronize the player.

The scary part is that, from what I've seen, the things that make The Witcher so memorable are being preserved in The Witcher 2, while the drawbacks are being addressed. That game has the potential to be retarded good.

And best part of it all is it's just over 2 months away (May 17th)! Should be here before we know it. Soon it will be crunch time to finish those Witcher 1 playthroughs.

Slo

Thank you to all the people who still take the time to mark spoilers with tags. I realize the game's 3 years old, but there are still guys like me who are playing for the first time.

jackdoe

Heh. I'm at the point of the game that gold is falling freely thanks to selling all those elven ceremonial swords for 300 gold a pop.
Seriously, no reason to side with the Squirrels. I detest their morals and I also get good gold from selling their items after the botched bank robbery.

koji

Finished Chapter 2 last night, stuff is getting interesting. Didn't have that many problems with the swamp, the running back and forth in the temple quarter or what's it called was more annoying imo.

Sided with the scoiatel (spelling) seems like the more interesting faction RP-wise to me. Didn't really like them in the books though, don't really like Order either. So I just went with what felt more interesting to play

This game actually allows for playing a role, and that in a roleplaying game, unheard of! You just get sucked more and more into the world and all the small references to the books etc, they really did a brilliant job porting the world to a CRPG.

Oh and I banged
a dryad
that's always a nice surplus. :-D
Shame my gametime is going to be scarce the next couple months... :-/

Slo said:
Thank you to all the people who still take the time to mark spoilers with tags. I realize the game's 3 years old, but there are still guys like me who are playing for the first time.
Yup, just started this morning myself.

Moobabe

What a shocker - I'm on Chapter 4 and have had to validate my files AGAIN on steam - another 4 gig to redownload this time... I hate my PC.

4 gig redownloaded and now it won't even load... I'm destined to never finish this game.

vocab

Moobabe said:
What a shocker - I'm on Chapter 4 and have had to validate my files AGAIN on steam - another 4 gig to redownload this time... I hate my PC.

4 gig redownloaded and now it won't even load... I'm destined to never finish this game.

Sounds like your hard drive is going bad.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gully State said:
I just started Chapter 4 and it's the prettiest setting so far IMO.

Yeah, that was my favorite chapter of the game by far. It moved things away from the town to a more rural, surreal setting... it was nice to finally get away from Vizima for a bit, and the setting was very unique as far as most WRPG games go. And it has a pretty awesome ending too.

Sometimes I´m really reminded why I kinda hate RPG`s and why I absolutely hate the idea of bosses in games.

I´m at the end of Act 3 and is fighting the professor and two big creatures. And I have absolutely no chance at all. They bring down my energy in about 10 seconds, and since they are three, they hit me all the times and break my attacks.

I have very few potions at this point, and the idea of having to reload to an earlier part, try to level up some skills, gather potions and run through the salamander base again really sickens me.

Isn´t there any cheat/glitch for this part so I could just get on with the rest of the game?

iavi

Gully State said:
I just started Chapter 4 and it's the prettiest setting so far IMO.

It was pretty as shit, but damn if it didn't feel like such the break in a climax. Took me a while to readjust.

Snuggler said:
Oh indeed.

I'm nearing hour #40, and I'm likely halfway through chapter 4 (just
found out the bride-to-be is a zombie or something and met w/ Beregar finally)
. You seem to have all points covered, but I agree that it's so-so combat and uneven pacing are two of it's more significant faults. Particularly the pacing, since you have to spend way too much time on certain parts like the swamp, and chapter 2 despite being awesome overall did drag on too long thanks to an excessive amount of backtracking and longass fetch quests. It's great, though. I really have been sucked into the world of the Witcher, and I love it.

The world may not be terribly unique with it's elves and dwarves, but it feels well defined and it's grown on me a lot as I've progressed through the game. It's the characters I enjoy more than anything else, though. It's not like the whole stoic eye-scared badass thing has never been done before, but Geralt is a bad motherfucker. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of his sly remarks.

anyways, the sequel does look like something else, it's gonna be nuts

oh by the way, best part by far (end of ch. 3 spoilerz).

I'm about where you are with about the same playtime and I have the same general feelings about the pacing. I mean, I really love the game, but as you said several of the quests just took forever and didn't have much meat on them. They wore me down. And the combat is definitely becoming more of an obligation than I'd like. Still a great game of course-- the sequel is going to be amazing.

I'm in Act V (
called Swamp Cemetry I think, it comes right after burning Old Vizima
).

I want to raid a few crypts but I don't have cat potion. I wanna brew some, but it seems I don't have access to my storage anymore? Someone tell me I didn't lose my stored items :(

Moobabe

vocab said:
Sounds like your hard drive is going bad.

Tell me about it - I'm cracking it open tomorrow to have a poke around inside. The good news it that I'm on Chapter V - absolutely love the setting so far - I'm so close now...

poisonelf

RustyNails said:
I'm in Act V (
called Swamp Cemetry I think, it comes right after burning Old Vizima
).

I want to raid a few crypts but I don't have cat potion. I wanna brew some, but it seems I don't have access to my storage anymore? Someone tell me I didn't lose my stored items :(
Dandelion now provides your stored items, I think he's in Old Vizima though, not sure if you can find him in the swamps.

poisonelf

Moobabe said:
Tell me about it - I'm cracking it open tomorrow to have a poke around inside. The good news it that I'm on Chapter V - absolutely love the setting so far - I'm so close now...
No, don't. Unless there are other 'symptoms' don't go hardware checking based on Witcher problems alone. I had to validate my files every day in order to finish this game, and sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row. It also crashed all the time on my previous PC (from which not even the case is the same, I changed everything this once), though I didn't know about validating files at the time. I've tried a list of things and nothing worked, Witcher is just extremely problematic for some PC setups. Validate and persevere, the game is dreamy good :)

Scipius

RustyNails said:

You haven't lost them, but you can't access them from where you are now. You will only have one last chance to use the storage at the start of the Epilogue.

Biggzy

Hi guys i never got round to buying this game when it came out a couple of years ago, but i saw the director’s cut on steam for £13 and i am very tempted to buy it. But i would like to know if the game is optimised to run on a decent rig and also wherever the voice acting is decent, since it’s made by polish developers, Thanks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Biggzy said:
Hi guys i never got round to buying this game when it came out a couple of years ago, but i saw the director’s cut on steam for £13 and i am very tempted to buy it. But i would like to know if the game is optimised to run on a decent rig and also wherever the voice acting is decent, since it’s made by polish developers, Thanks.

What "decent" rig do you have?

VA was improved in EE version, but I played it in Polish with subs, so I don't know really.

Scipius

Biggzy said:
and also wherever the voice acting is decent, since it’s made by polish developers, Thanks.

Play it with Polish VA and subtitles in whatever language you want. The English VAs are not nearly as good as the Polish ones from what my brief experience with them taught me, but they're certainly no worse than most games' VA (though that's not saying much).

Biggzy

subversus said:
What "decent" rig do you have?

VA was improved in EE version, but I played it in Polish with subs, so I don't know really.

Mr rig contains a 9800 GT graphics card, AMD phenom Q950 processor and 4 gb RAM. I have had this rig for a number of years now and i am just waiting to gather some money in order to upgrade it. Would The Witcher run well on this system and at what settings?

Minsc

Gold Member
Biggzy said:
Mr rig contains a 9800 GT graphics card, AMD phenom Q950 processor and 4 gb RAM. I have had this rig for a number of years now and i am just waiting to gather some money in order to upgrade it. Would The Witcher run well on this system and at what settings?

Probably 20-30 fps in the slower areas with a few settings lowered, and ~30-45 fps in the rest of the areas, occasionally dipping below 20 would be my guess. It should be good enough to enjoy the game, but you'll wish it ran better (which is true of like 80% of the people who play it probably, regardless of hardware).

Biggzy

Minsc said:
Probably 20-30 fps in the slower areas with a few settings lowered, and ~30-45 fps in the rest of the areas, occasionally dipping below 20 would be my guess. It should be good enough to enjoy the game, but you'll wish it ran better (which is true of like 80% of the people who play it probably, regardless of hardware).

Cheers for the information, the performance is what i expected it to be on my ageing rig ;)

Desi

Biggzy said:
the voice acting is decent, since it’s made by polish developers, Thanks.
I would say play it in whatever language you want. For me the Polish was so-so and the conversations dragged on way to long in polish. Felt the men sound better in English but the women sound better in Polish. I load it up on English or Polish depending on how I feel.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I stopped playing for a long time and now I go to finish it before the sequel comes out and I am remembering why.

I'm supposed to get into some city but there is a quarantine and I need a pass. Some decrepit old priest has one but all he does is call me a heathen. I can't just kill him to get the pass like I should be able to, being the lawless heathen witcher that I am. I talk to everyone else and they just say random shit... This is why I hate western RPGs sometimes.

poisonelf

Dice said:
I stopped playing for a long time and now I go to finish it before the sequel comes out and I am remembering why.

I'm supposed to get into some city but there is a quarantine and I need a pass. Some decrepit old priest has one but all he does is call me a heathen. I can't just kill him to get the pass like I should be able to, being the lawless heathen witcher that I am. I talk to everyone else and they just say random shit... This is why I hate western RPGs sometimes.
I'm no jRPG expert, but from the few I've played they're MUCH more restricting than western RPGs. No option to attack major NPCs.

If you want complete freedom try the Gothic series. At least the first ones that I remember where like "hey, nice items merchant, hmm no one around..." kill, take items. Or even better the armor and weapons of faction leaders :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Dice said:

You'll probably be disappointed with the sequel as well. The Witcher 2 is not going to give you the ability to just kill someone to take their pass either, you'd have to do the same stuff as in the first.

Traditionally wRPGs let you kill people, so you hit the exception. Play Fallout, or Baldur's Gate, Gothic, or Elder Scrolls, you can kill whole entire towns, if you don't mind missing out on all the quests of the people you kill.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The thing is, Geralt is not a blank slate for the player. The character just doesn't go around wholesale slaughtering civilians. So in this case it's not a CRPG design deficiency, it's just what they've decided to do to keep a strong identity for the character and let the player manage the difficult gray areas that could go either way.

As Minsc says there are many other game choices if you want a fully free experience. And I have no idea why you'd characterize western RPGs as typically being restrictive.

Darklord

Banned
I hope the sequel has something as mind blowing as who
the Grand Master was
. You never see that subtle stuff in games. If it's not in your face, it's not there normally.

vocab

Dice said:

You just described about two decades of JRPGS. Sure, Id love more games like Utlima, where you go up anyone, even lord British, and stab them in the face, but there has to be some restriction for a game with focused content.

I assume your in Chapter 1. They pretty much guide you the whole way. You light those torches, and then do quests for the three guys closest to the mayor/priest guy. That's most of chapter 1.

Dice

I didn't say I hate this game, just this part. This chapter is incredibly boring busywork with hardly any real fighting. I wish this game kept track of distance traveled, because I feel like I've gone hundreds of miles just running back and forth so much to do these retarded quests. By all reports it kicks up into a whirlwind in the rest of the game but apparently the first chapter is a load of shit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dice said:
I didn't say I hate this game, just this part. This chapter is incredibly boring busywork with hardly any real fighting. I wish this game kept track of distance traveled, because I feel like I've gone hundreds of miles just running back and forth so much to do these retarded quests. By all reports it kicks up into a whirlwind in the rest of the game but apparently the first chapter is a load of shit.

If you don't like chapter 1, you're better off bailing out now because chapter 1 is nothing compared to chapter 2 when it comes to long treks and 'busywork'. Maybe it's just not your style of game.

vocab

Dice said:

Ya, the busy work is obvious, and walking back and forth gets old fast.

dream

I'm a retard that asks dumb questions. :/

After finishing DA2, I remembered I never did finish The Witcher so I fired it back up again after 2 years and uh...how do I wait? Do I have to find a campfire and rest or can I just advance time Elder Scrolls style?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
dream said:

After finishing DA2, I remembered I never did finish The Witcher so I fired it back up again after 2 years and uh...how do I wait? Do I have to find a campfire and rest or can I just advance time Elder Scrolls style?

You need to find a campfire, which should be shown on your map, or an inn keeper or friendly NPC at home that will give you the option when you initiate conversation.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Gully State said:
Chapter 2 took way too long for me to get into. Although the payoff was pretty good even if you didn't solve the case correctly.

Chapter 2 was the best part for me - it really nailed the feeling of investigation in a way that I can't really think oof another game doing so well.

dream said:

You can go to any bed, inn, or campfire iirc. If you have to light a campfire, use either an item or the fire spell.

Dice

I'll be the judge of Chapter 2 myself. The thing that made Chapter 1 suck (I finally just finished it...) was that the location and people were completely uninteresting. Just some podunk village with little bitch villagers, it's worse than the beginning of Twilight Princess. I'm glad I finally got to do what I wanted by the end of it.

Almighty

This thread reminded me that I need to start up the Witcher again so i can have a save to import in the sequel.

Now that I think about it I haven't played this game since it first came out and it was before the Enhanced Edition which was supposed to improve the game. So hopefully that is true. I am just hoping the game is as good as I remember when I do start it up in the next week or two.

Dice

Chapter 2 is already waaaay better. More interesting and good-looking environments, more interesting characters and more variety among them, more quests with far less distance to run for them, more combat, more merchants, and less longwinded redundancy. It's also not stuttering like a laggy online game in the 90s anymore.

iavi

Darklord said:
I hope the sequel has something as mind blowing as who
the Grand Master was
. You never see that subtle stuff in games. If it's not in your face, it's not there normally.

I know, right? Game End:
it became obvious to me as soon as Triss said he was a 'source' user that had mastered it over time. Not missing the convo with the group of little boys about Alvin travelling through time also helped in the revelation.

Btw, what happens if you let the lord of the hunt take him?

Brannon

Holy crap, the investigation is awesome. Even when being completely led astray, I was able to deduce the truth of the matter. Got to a nice stopping point and tomorrow, SHIT GOES DOWN.

Top Bottom