• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Brannon said:
Holy crap, the investigation is awesome. Even when being completely led astray, I was able to deduce the truth of the matter. Got to a nice stopping point and tomorrow, SHIT GOES DOWN.

It's funny how many important clues I managed to just stumble upon. If I had any idea of what I was doing I probably would have fucked it up.

Fuckin Pokemon man, i left this at mid Chapter 2. I need to come baaaack.

I guess The Witcher separates the men from the boys.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I really like how this game doesn't seem to have any "right way" to do stuff. You can pretty much just do whatever you feel like and whatever results... "good for me" sometimes and "tough shit" other times. Life is messy, and lots of bitches are messing with you and getting in your way while scheming for themselves, and you really aren't here to sort all that out and save the world. It's about a journey of discovery.

Miri said:
I know, right? Game End:
it became obvious to me as soon as Triss said he was a 'source' user that had mastered it over time. Not missing the convo with the group of little boys about Alvin travelling through time also helped in the revelation.

Btw, what happens if you let the lord of the hunt take him?

I would like to know this, also.

koji

Snuggler said:
It's funny how many important clues I managed to just stumble upon. If I had any idea of what I was doing I probably would have fucked it up.

Haha, I had no idea what was going on either till halfway through the quest. :lol

Slo

Think I'm starting to get near the end of Chapter II, at least my quest log is getting emptier.

I only have Leuvaarden left as a supsect, and scummo Raymond talked me into killing Ramsmeat for some reason, even though I'd already presumed that he was innocent. After doing that, he gave me the last stone I needed to open the mage's tower. Not really sure how to feel about this. I just kinda did it because I didn't really have any other options to try on how to move the story forward. Did I trade an innocent guy's life for a rock, or was he actually guilty all along? I think Raymond just flat out had me execute him. Was there another way to get that stone?

Oh, and Geralt makes getting ass look easy, but I sure do spend a lot of fucking time running around the god damned map trying to get him laid.

Enk

makes good threads.
Slo said:
Think I'm starting to get near the end of Chapter II, at least my quest log is getting emptier.

I only have Leuvaarden left as a supsect, and scummo Raymond talked me into killing Ramsmeat for some reason, even though I'd already presumed that he was innocent. After doing that, he gave me the last stone I needed to open the mage's tower. Not really sure how to feel about this. I just kinda did it because I didn't really have any other options to try on how to move the story forward. Did I trade an innocent guy's life for a rock, or was he actually guilty all along? I think Raymond just flat out had me execute him. Was there another way to get that stone?

Oh, and Geralt makes getting ass look easy, but I sure do spend a lot of fucking time running around the god damned map trying to get him laid.

You fucked up real bad. :p

koji

Slo said:

Hmm, still got a save from before that kill? Tip:
Talk to Shani and/or visit the cemetery

Darklord said:
I hope the sequel has something as mind blowing as who
the Grand Master was
. You never see that subtle stuff in games. If it's not in your face, it's not there normally.

Agreed.
I really appreciated both the twist in itself and its subtle revelation. Definitely one of my favourite twists in gaming. As you said it's not something that you see often in games, so it's greatly appreciated when you see that quality of writing is exhibited in the medium.

Slo

koji said:
Hmm, still got a save from before that kill? Tip:
Talk to Shani and/or visit the cemetery

Yes I do.
I'm having trouble getting into the cemetery. The gravedigger says that maybe the captain will allow me to go in, but I've already pissed Vincent off by telling him that he's guilty. I just got done chasing Shani around to get her card, but she didn't offer to get me in there. Maybe there's new dialog options now that I've done the deed?

koji

Slo said:
Yes I do.
I'm having trouble getting into the cemetery. The gravedigger says that maybe the captain will allow me to go in, but I've already pissed Vincent off by telling him that he's guilty. I just got done chasing Shani around to get her card, but she didn't offer to get me in there. Maybe there's new dialog options now that I've done the deed?

Hmm. You're missing a bit somewhere. Hopefully it isn't borked yet. Try
visiting the hospital, check if the dude they pulled out of the prison at the start of Chapter 2 is still there, that should trigger a cutscene, you might be able to progress the story there.

Slo

koji said:
Hmm. You're missing a bit somewhere. Hopefully it isn't borked yet. Try
visiting the hospital, check if the dude they pulled out of the prison at the start of Chapter 2 is still there, that should trigger a cutscene, you might be able to progress the story there.

I've already done the autopsy with the prisoner, which implicated Kalkstein (sp?). I just looked this bit up in a FAQ, and supposedly either Vincent or Thaler can get me into the cemetery. I'm on good terms with Thaler so I guess I'll head over there.

Slo said:
I've already done the autopsy with the prisoner, which implicated Kalkstein (sp?). I just looked this bit up in a FAQ, and supposedly either Vincent or Thaler can get me into the cemetery. I'm on good terms with Thaler so I guess I'll head over there.

Just go with your result...The story has a better effect that way.

koji

Yeah if you've done all that stuff, just continue playing, there are a couple options to solve the investigation, it's what makes this game awesome after all. It's not like you killed a likeable character. :)

Gvaz

Banned
Slo said:
I think this is why I've been put off finishing this, I got into act 2, did some stuff but my quest log is just enormous! :(

Ok ....just finished the game and the ending CG was very well done.
Damn the assassin with the Witcher eyes perfectly sets this game up for Witcher 2- now I'm hyped beyond belief to see how the sequel will start out.
I do have a question though
Is Jacques De Aldesberg really an older version of Alvin? I remember someone in game saying that Alvin was capable of teleporting anywhere and any time.

Needless to say once I've had time to reflect...I'll put up some of my thoughts.

iavi

Gully State said:
Ok ....just finished the game and the ending CG was very well done.
Damn the assassin with the Witcher eyes perfectly sets this game up for Witcher 2- now I'm hyped beyond belief to see how the sequel will start out.
I do have a question though
Is Jacques De Aldesberg really an older version of Alvin? I remember someone in game saying that Alvin was capable of teleporting anywhere and any time.

Needless to say once I've had time to reflect...I'll put up some of my thoughts.

It's never explicitly stated, but is implied so hard, most assume yeah.

Miri said:
It's never explicitly stated, but is implied so hard, most assume yeah.

If that's the case, my
criticism of the how pointless the whole mentoring Alvin quests
is completely retracted.

iavi

Gully State said:
If that's the case, my
criticism of the how pointless the whole mentoring Alvin quests
is completely retracted.

Ah, it's probably because I picked Triss, but I didn't see them that way.
My take on it was: Here we had this Witcher & Witch, both have come to a point where they want to live normally, grow old together, (Grow food on a farm etc.. etc.. if you listened to all of Triss' rambles) and raise a family. But because of circumstance, they can't, and never would be able to. Never would be able to, until Alvin came along, that is. It almost felt as if having him around finally gave them the chance to play "family." (Do all those little quests) It was actually kind of sad, in retrospect.
They didn't add to the over-arching plot, but were more for the sake of character-building.

I'm sure it's open for interpretation, but that's my take on those.

Miri said:
Ah, it's probably because I picked Triss, but I didn't see them that way.
My take on it was: Here we had this Witcher & Witch, both have come to a point where they want to live normally, grow old together, (Grow food on a farm etc.. etc.. if you listened to all of Triss' rambles) and raise a family. But because of circumstance, they can't, and never will be able to. Never would be able to, until Alvin came along, that is. It almost felt as if having him around finally gave them the chance to play "family." (Do all those little quests) It was actually kind of sad, in retrospect.

I'm sure it's open for interpretation, but that's my take on those.

It's the same way if you go with
Shani (all the family stuff). However, what struck me was in Act IV where Alvin asks you moral questions and demonstrates a profound interest in Witchers. And then in Act V where Jacques first shows up and says that he's been watching Geralt the whole time despite only showing up for the first time in Act V.

jackdoe

Gully State said:
Shani (all the family stuff). However, what struck me was in Act IV where Alvin asks you moral questions and demonstrates a profound interest in Witchers. And then in Act V where Jacques first shows up and says that he's been watching Geralt the whole time despite only showing up for the first time in Act V.
Which is why I was like oh shit when
Jacques started quoting the advice I gave to Alvin in Act IV. It was then that I knew that was Alvin and I started to wonder if it was my fault that he grew up to have those beliefs.

iavi

Gully State said:

Funny thing is,
I hadn't realized who he was yet, and took that to mean he had eyes on Geralt 'off-camera' so to speak.
That actually makes so much more sense now.

jackdoe said:
Which is why I was like oh shit when
Jacques started quoting the advice I gave to Alvin in Act IV. It was then that I knew that was Alvin and I started to wonder if it was my fault that he grew up to have those beliefs.

Mind=Blown. I didn't actually catch
that he was reciting what I had said to him. I'm trying to remember which question you guys are talking about though. The only one I can remember atm is the one he asks in chapter IV about the Elves motives

Fuck me, man. I missed a ton of small details.

Enk

makes good threads.
Miri said:
Funny thing is,
I hadn't realized who he was yet, and took that to mean he had eyes on Geralt 'off-camera' so to speak.
That actually makes so much more sense now.

that he was reciting what I had said to him. I'm trying to remember which question you guys are talking about though. The only one I can remember atm is the one he asks in chapter IV about the Elves motives

That's what I thought was so great about it.
It was a twist that I wasn't even expecting. Yes there were hints peppered here and there but it was so vague that it didn't occur to me. And I guess the fact that I haven't had played a game yet that presented me with that kind of a twist made it even more unexpected. It really does make you rethink a lot of what you played.

jackdoe

Miri said:

It's the one about destiny. I told him I didn't believe in destiny and that man made his own fate. He quoted that as a reason for conducting experiments to challenge the future of the White Frost.

So after after reading various discussions about the ending, I kind of have the urge to play through the ending again. What's so impressive is that this is one of the few games in which the developer doesn't treat the audience like an idiot from a narrative standpoint (the ending is still open for interpretation). Bioware would've beat you over the head with that revelation.

It really is a shame that combat is the way it is (I grew to enjoy it but it made getting into the game really hard)as well as its technical deficiencies (game crashed a ton throughout my playthrough) b/c the payoff in this game's story is something that only a handful of games have ever achieved. How this game's story didn't even get mentioned in the GOTY: Best Story categories for 2007 absolutely blows my mind. I'm super hyped for the sequel at this point.

witchernotahitmang7db.png

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Gully State said:
So after after reading various discussions about the ending, I kind of have the urge to play through the ending again. What's so impressive is that this is one of the few games in which the developer doesn't treat the audience like an idiot from a narrative standpoint (the ending is still open for interpretation). Bioware would've beat you over the head with that revelation.

yeah, I liked the fact that it is completely clear but to attentive people.

woober

Gully State said:

It really is a shame that combat is the way it is (I grew to enjoy it but it made getting into the game really hard)as well as its technical deficiencies (game crashed a ton throughout my playthrough) b/c the payoff in this game's story is something that only a handful of games have ever achieved. How this game's story didn't even get mentioned in the GOTY: Best Story categories for 2007 absolutely blows my mind. I'm super hyped for the sequel at this point.

Absolutely agree with you on the ending. The fact that it was so subtle blew my mind. I was left wondering if I was overthinking it, or if the story really was that damn bad ass. And sure enough, I go on the official forums and I see everyone talking about it. I couldn't stop thinking about everything that had happened since the beginning of the game till the end that had led up to that event.

At what point do you have to save in order for it to be export-able to Witcher 2? I think my last save point was prior to the final battle but there isn't exactly and auto save at the end..

iavi

Gully State said:
At what point do you have to save in order for it to be export-able to Witcher 2? I think my last save point was prior to the final battle but there isn't exactly and auto save at the end..

It hasn't been said, exactly. They did say, in that GOG stream, that it would import your furthest save.

I'm guessing that only decisions up to the final auto-save will matter. It's the safest way of going about the whole thing.

Slo

Damnit! I'm in Chapter III and they're sending me back into the damned
Temple Quarter and the Swamp!
I'm so sick of that place!

Salaadin

Started my second play through last week and am now partially through Act 3. There was so much that I forgot about the story that it almost feels like Im playing for the first time.
I love the way this game handles choices and the consequences of those choices. Its so fun seeing how it all plays out.

RPGCrazied

I'm going to check out this game soon, now that I can probably play this game at max settings. New computer.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2), 6gigs DDR3, HD Radeon 5770 1GB. I have no problems maxing games like Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect II.

What say you?

bengraven

I really need to start on my second playthrough. I made a lot of stupid choices in my first playthrough: choosing Shani, then later reading the books and realizing Triss is more his style; choosing the elves, then realizing just how stupid this was considering they are just as power mad by now as the humans.

I would change these decisions on the next playthrough and I need to get on that, considering the game comes out in 2 months.

Minsc

Gold Member
Slo said:
Damnit! I'm in Chapter III and they're sending me back into the damned
Temple Quarter and the Swamp!
I'm so sick of that place!

But now you can give everything there a thorough beating! Chapter 4 is such a breath of fresh air, you'll think you're playing a whole new game, so bear through it if you didn't enjoy the swamps!

RPGCrazied said:
I'm going to check out this game soon, now that I can probably play this game at max settings. New computer.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2), 6gigs DDR3, HD Radeon 5770 1GB. I have no problems maxing games like Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect II.

What say you?

20-60fps, weighted to around 40-45fps average is my best guess (maxed). Only uses one core, and engine is poorly optimized. There's a chance you'll probably end up running the sequel at better framerates than the original (at good visuals - not maxed). Don't let that scare you though, it's a great game, and not to be skipped!

bengraven said:
I really need to start on my second playthrough. I made a lot of stupid choices in my first playthrough: choosing Shani, then later reading the books and realizing Triss is more his style; choosing the elves, then realizing just how stupid this was considering they are just as power mad by now as the humans.

I would change these decisions on the next playthrough and I need to get on that, considering the game comes out in 2 months.

The Witcher 2 is letting people who beat the game and don't have their saves (so I guess anyone?) simply pick what choices they made when they start. Only thing you'd lose is possibly enhanced stats + weapons/armor from importing.

Detox

I've upgraded my PC and it can finally handle this game. Coming from 360 the RPGs I enjoy are mass effect and fallout series. I played DA2 demo on 360 and didn't enjoy it, having read the combat issues in this game should I buy this or just wait for Witcher 2. Also I love games with great stories so that may sway my decision, do I need to have played this before playing the sequel?

bengraven

Minsc said:
The Witcher 2 is letting people who beat the game and don't have their saves (so I guess anyone?) simply pick what choices they made when they start. Only thing you'd lose is possibly enhanced stats + weapons/armor from importing.

So if you want to make different choices you can simply give different answers. Clever. I wonder if the person who made the masseffectsaves.com and dragonagesaves.com will do it for this game as well so people can get those extra mutations or stats or armor/weapons.

That said, I actually haven't beaten the game. I'm still a quest or two from the epilogue, but have been so disappointed in my choices that I don't really want to keep going.

Then I found a really old save in my archives I might just reuse and play from that point forward. Still, that's a lot of hours.

Inkwell

Banned
I have a strange relationship with this game. I completed the prologue last May, and then didn't start playing the game again until November. I re-played the prologue and finished chapter 1, but didn't start playing chapter 2 until the first of this month. Now I finally completed chapter 2 and I'm having a hard time starting chapter 3. I think the game just leaves me a bit fatigued. I just cleared so many quests and spent so much time in chapter 2, now I feel like I'm almost starting over again.

By the way, I'm having money issues in this game. I wanted to buy the next best armor in chapter 2, but never really had the money. I'm also not sure if I should use the meteorites/runes I have until I get a sword upgrade. The money issues also mean I'm having trouble buying all of the books I need. Should I be doing a lot more gambling, or is my money hovering around 2000-3000 in chapter 2 seem normal?

Minsc

Gold Member
Detox said:
I've upgraded my PC and it can finally handle this game. Coming from 360 the RPGs I enjoy are mass effect and fallout series. I played DA2 demo on 360 and didn't enjoy it, having read the combat issues in this game should I buy this or just wait for Witcher 2. Also I love games with great stories so that may sway my decision, do I need to have played this before playing the sequel?

Yes, buy this, and play it before the sequel comes out. Chances are you won't regret it. Story is very rewarding as others have commented, and TW2 does make a lot of references to the first. If you happen to not mind the combat, then you'll really love the game (I didn't mind it myself).

Inkwell said:
I have a strange relationship with this game. I completed the prologue last May, and then didn't start playing the game again until November. I re-played the prologue and finished chapter 1, but didn't start playing chapter 2 until the first of this month. Now I finally completed chapter 2 and I'm having a hard time starting chapter 3. I think the game just leaves me a bit fatigued. I just cleared so many quests and spent so much time in chapter 2, now I feel like I'm almost starting over again.

By the way, I'm having money issues in this game. I wanted to buy the next best armor in chapter 2, but never really had the money. I'm also not sure if I should use the meteorites/runes I have until I get a sword upgrade. The money issues also mean I'm having trouble buying all of the books I need. Should I be doing a lot more gambling, or is my money hovering around 2000-3000 in chapter 2 seem normal?

The meteorites are basically worthless, I never used them in my game, only collected them with the intention of using three of the same, which never happened. Armor you're fine without till right before leaving chapter 3, which is the last chance you get to pick it up. You get another opportunity for much better armor later in the game as well though.

You can sell the books back for a little money, or gamble for a quick fix. Best way seems to be picking up expensive alternate weapon drops and selling those, but that seems a hassle so I never did that, since you can only carry one or two.

The only things really worthwhile are the potions you make (so the alcohol and alchemy pickups) and sword enhancing stones that you apply for a temporary increase in damage. Rest of the game's items aren't worth worrying about. You find pretty great weapons from winning battles as the story goes on, don't really need the meteorites even on the hard settings.

Salaadin

Detox said:

Id say its worth playing before The Witcher 2. Youll probably like knowing more about the characters and where they come from, how they act, etc. The sequel also takes place directly after the first game so take that into account when deciding.
You can always find a plot outline on wiki or something but that will take away from the various choices and consequences throughout the game and you wont be able to appreciate how the story is laid out and seeing how it all comes together if you just read a synopsis.

The combat can be finicky but overall, I dont have much of an issue with it. It suffers from 2 major problems.
1) Its very simplistic. An enemy (or enemies) approach and you ready the proper sword and proper stance and then just click at the right moment to chain attacks until body parts start flying. Its kinda fun at first but eventually, youre going to start running away from battle because you dont feel like fighting anymore. Its not a broken or bad fighting system...it just needed some tweaking and polish before release.

2)Its difficult to switch it up or mix magic with swordplay when you need to.
-Sometimes you have your steel sword out and want to switch to silver which requires a small waiting period as Geralt sheathes one sword and pulls out the other. Its kind of annoying and doesnt make any sense now that Im reading the books.....they make special note of how quickly Geralt can draw his sword.
-Using Magic interrupts your attack combo (as it should) but it also feels like youre left open to attack for a second. Because of this, I find myself only opening or ending a a fight with magic...and forget about it if youre surrounded by enemies. You dont want to interrupt a Group stance chain when there are enemies beating on you from behind.

With all that said, it still works. There hasnt been a spot in the game where I felt like I died because of the games combat not working. And even if there was, I would still reccomend the game. Its so so combat system is no reason to pass up The Witcher because it does SOOO many other good things. If I were you, Id buy it.

Slo

Detox said:

The combat isn't that bat. The problem with it isn't that it doesn't work, the problem is that it's pretty mindless. Click when the cursor lights up! Too fast! Click! Too fast! Click!

Detox

Ok guys you sold me, shame it's not available on gog.

@gully state : I bought it on steam for some reason it showed up as 50% off so I got it for £6.49 the box copy is around £12.

bengraven said:
So if you want to make different choices you can simply give different answers. Clever. I wonder if the person who made the masseffectsaves.com and dragonagesaves.com will do it for this game as well so people can get those extra mutations or stats or armor/weapons.

That said, I actually haven't beaten the game. I'm still a quest or two from the epilogue, but have been so disappointed in my choices that I don't really want to keep going.

Then I found a really old save in my archives I might just reuse and play from that point forward. Still, that's a lot of hours.

Just go with it...I don't think there's a single permutation of decisions where you'll be happy with the desired outcome. I went with the elves as well and totally regret it. However, instead of rolling back on my decisions, I plan on having Geralt use that as motivation in the sequel to stay neutral.

Salaadin said:
Id say its worth playing before The Witcher 2. Youll probably like knowing more about the characters and where they come from, how they act, etc. The sequel also takes place directly after the first game so take that into account when deciding.
You can always find a plot outline on wiki or something but that will take away from the various choices and consequences throughout the game and you wont be able to appreciate how the story is laid out and seeing how it all comes together if you just read a synopsis.

The combat can be finicky but overall, I dont have much of an issue with it. It suffers from 2 major problems.
1) Its very simplistic. An enemy (or enemies) approach and you ready the proper sword and proper stance and then just click at the right moment to chain attacks until body parts start flying. Its kinda fun at first but eventually, youre going to start running away from battle because you dont feel like fighting anymore. Its not a broken or bad fighting system...it just needed some tweaking and polish before release.

2)Its difficult to switch it up or mix magic with swordplay when you need to.
-Sometimes you have your steel sword out and want to switch to silver which requires a small waiting period as Geralt sheathes one sword and pulls out the other. Its kind of annoying and doesnt make any sense now that Im reading the books.....they make special note of how quickly Geralt can draw his sword.
-Using Magic interrupts your attack combo (as it should) but it also feels like youre left open to attack for a second. Because of this, I find myself only opening or ending a a fight with magic...and forget about it if youre surrounded by enemies. You dont want to interrupt a Group stance chain when there are enemies beating on you from behind.

With all that said, it still works. There hasnt been a spot in the game where I felt like I died because of the games combat not working. And even if there was, I would still reccomend the game. Its so so combat system is no reason to pass up The Witcher because it does SOOO many other good things. If I were you, Id buy it.

Spot on with the combat. The other thing about it was that the animations felt a bit off and sidestepping didn't really matter as you could jump away from your opponent and still get hit by his melee attack despite being out of range. Stuff like that made me feel disconnected with combat. Eventually it kind of grows on you especially with the one hit kills but everything else makes it worthwhile.

Detox said:

I'd try to pick up a boxed copy (doesn't matter which version since you can dl the enhanced version patch for free) since there's no DRM for it (not even a disc check).

Detox said:

@gully state : I bought it on steam for some reason it showed up as 50% off so I got it for £6.49 the box copy is around £12.

This might be changing in the future. The developers said on Friday that they are working on getting The Witcher 1 on GOG.

Salaadin

Lasthope106 said:
This might be changing in the future. The developers said on Friday that they are working on getting The Witcher 1 on GOG.
Oh thats cool. I know that GOG stands for Good Old Games and I wouldnt consider The Witcher to be old yet but since they are all owned by the same parent company, I always thought they should sell it there.

Top Bottom