• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Salaadin said:
Oh thats cool. I know that GOG stands for Good Old Games and I wouldnt consider The Witcher to be old yet but since they are all owned by the same parent company, I always thought they should sell it there.

The game is 4 years old at this point. I think GOG carries stuff released in the early to mid 2000's. So it wouldn't really be a stretch even if they didn't develop Witcher.

Gully State said:
Anyone play the modules (Price of Neutrality and Side Effects)? Are they worth playing through or should I not even bother?
Price of Neutrality was decent and had some new characters in it. Side Effects I barely even remember so I guess that makes it forgettable.

Forkball

Ok so I'm on the party quest in Chapter II
Zoltan sent me to go get some food, but the grandma saw me and kicked me out. When I come back in, she says I'm drunk even though I'm not. Do I need to meditate? Did I fuck up the quest?

Forkball

DOUBLE POST OF JUSTICE

Got to Chapter III. Seems interesting so far. Knights! Fancier hookers! Rich people! Chapter II had it's moments, but I'm glad it's over. Each chapter seems to have a ton of quests. I just read a guide about Chapter II and I was surprised about how many quests I missed. Though I'm glad I missed the
Squirrels vs. Order battle because I want to be neutral for now.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gully State said:
Anyone play the modules (Price of Neutrality and Side Effects)? Are they worth playing through or should I not even bother?

Yup, after beating the main game... Price of Neutrality was pretty fun, it takes place in a new region directly outside the Witchers' castle. Side Effects was basically running through Vizima trade quarter (yet again) doing fetch quests to raise money to bail Dandelion out of jail. Both are pretty short (2-3 hours), if you could only play one, I'd definitely go with Price of Neutrality, it's more interesting (since it takes place in a new area).

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
RustyNails said:
You can stay neutral throughout...I'm sort of glad I did because I could not identify with either side.

Yeah, I flipped between the two sides depending on how I evaluated the situation. I ended up with what I guess counts as the neutral ending. It was.... unpleasant. I felt like such a bastard.

Moobabe

Ok - it's done - FINISHED. A few questions though, read at your PERIL:

In the final FMV was I supposed to recognise the face of the assassin?

What "endings" are there, so to speak. That ghost king told me I'd pretty much ruined the lives of everyone in the entire world, before Dandelion's monologue about the world returning to normal....

I tried to maintain neutrality throughout but I think what I loved the most about it is that it's almost impossible to in later situations, or at least it seemed to be.

Moobabe said:
No
just the fact that it was a Witcher

What "endings" are there, so to speak.
That ghost king told me I'd pretty much ruined the lives of everyone in the entire world, before Dandelion's monologue about the world returning to normal....
The actual end of the game doesn't change much if at all. Most of your decisions play out before reaching the end.

Exuro

Moobabe said:
No you aren't. Everything is pure speculation, and there are a lot of different theories out there, from the Salamandra being able to create a witcher like assassin to one of the other witcher schools offering their services to make this assassin a witcher. It's all guessing but I'd like it to be on the schools as that would broaden the lore on the history of witchers. All we know is that the assassin is a witcher of some sort.

Slo

Seemingly important plot choice in Chapter III:
So I was in the trade quarter turning in random bounty quests and whatnot, I exit a building and a child approaches me saying the bank is being robbed and the order has sent him to fetch a witcher. Long story short, I end up in the basement of the bank and Yaevinn offers to let me join the Squirrels. I noticed there was an option to stay neutral, but based on Leuvarden's comments earlier in the chapter, I figured I'd be forced to pick eventually. I chose to join them, mostly because they seem like cooler characters to surround myself with than a chode like Siegfried, and also because I unwittingly led the order against the scoia'tael in the battle in chapter II and I felt I should make up for it haha. I exited the sewers and went back to the bank and the mob was gone. Should I expect repercussions?

So was this a throwaway decision or an important one? Should I keep my recent save?

Slo said:
Seemingly important plot choice in Chapter III:
So I was in the trade quarter turning in random bounty quests and whatnot, I exit a building and a child approaches me saying the bank is being robbed and the order has sent him to fetch a witcher. Long story short, I end up in the basement of the bank and Yaevinn offers to let me join the Squirrels. I noticed there was an option to stay neutral, but based on Leuvarden's comments earlier in the chapter, I figured I'd be forced to pick eventually. I chose to join them, mostly because they seem like cooler characters to surround myself with than a chode like Siegfried, and also because I unwittingly led the order against the scoia'tael in the battle in chapter II and I felt I should make up for it haha. I exited the sewers and went back to the bank and the mob was gone. Should I expect repercussions?

So was this a throwaway decision or an important one? Should I keep my recent save?
It's one of the 2 biggest choices in the game for that storyline.
Siding with the Order is no longer possible. It's Squirrels or neutral now.

Slo

Jay Shadow said:
It's one of the 2 biggest choices in the game for that storyline.
Siding with the Order is no longer possible. It's Squirrels or neutral now.

Fuck those guys. Virgins.

Slo

Chapter III problem:
I'm supposed to go find Angus in the slums of the Temple quarter, but he's nowhere to be found. I'm hanging out right on top of the red dot on the map, still no luck.

Any ideas?

Edit: Figured it out. :)

Synless

I picked this up on steam for $10 last night. Not a very good looking game, seems pretty fun though.

Edit* wow, I didn't realize this came out in 2007, no wonder it's not a looker. I thought it came out in '09.

Binabik15

Finished!

I was forced along the
So´ciaetel
path, because I went into the building without knowing that there was a decision made there. Then in chapter 4 I chose to
help the damn elves
instead of running, which I thought wouldn´t be possible.

Oh well.
Killing knights was fun though, but killing Siegfried sucked
. I leaned towards the cause I ended up supporting, but in the short story compilation book they were total dicks. Well, both sides were. I wihs I had managed to stay neutral.

I spared every monster when possible
Adda and the Werewolf, Berengar ;)
, but I slayed the
King of the Wild Hunt
, but I couldn´t loot his body for some reason.

Overall it was pretty fun and I´ll play the extra missions one day, but right now I´m glad it´s over. Hard difficulty was almost too easy in teh end, only a few encounters were tough. Alchemy added a lot. I drank so many different potions before the last chapter my HUD looked like the desk of a child with his first rubber stamp set.

Only thing I strongly DISLIKED was a stupid bug that came up in the later part of the game, where I sometimes couldn´t cast spells anymore without restarting. I killed a certain dual hammer wielder and the main baddy without being able to use magic for half the fights :/

PS: Now I have to google how my choices are going to carry over into TW2, I hate choices!

PPS: IMO the game has some really beautiful vistas and nice enough textures, even compared to more recent "RPG" "games" *cough*

Binabik15 said:
PS: Now I have to google how my choices are going to carry over into TW2, I hate choices!
There are 3 different ways to start the Witcher 2 depending on who you sided with. Other then that, no one really knows how any other choice effects anything. Some equipment will carry over too.

Binabik15 said:
Finished!

I was forced along the
So´ciaetel
path, because I went into the building without knowing that there was a decision made there. Then in chapter 4 I chose to
help the damn elves
instead of running, which I thought wouldn´t be possible.

Oh well.
Killing knights was fun though, but killing Siegfried sucked
. I leaned towards the cause I ended up supporting, but in the short story compilation book they were total dicks. Well, both sides were. I wihs I had managed to stay neutral.

I spared every monster when possible
Adda and the Werewolf, Berengar ;)
, but I slayed the
King of the Wild Hunt
, but I couldn´t loot his body for some reason.

Overall it was pretty fun and I´ll play the extra missions one day, but right now I´m glad it´s over. Hard difficulty was almost too easy in teh end, only a few encounters were tough. Alchemy added a lot. I drank so many different potions before the last chapter my HUD looked like the desk of a child with his first rubber stamp set.

Only thing I strongly DISLIKED was a stupid bug that came up in the later part of the game, where I sometimes couldn´t cast spells anymore without restarting. I killed a certain dual hammer wielder and the main baddy without being able to use magic for half the fights :/

PPS: IMO the game has some really beautiful vistas and nice enough textures, even compared to more recent "RPG" "games" *cough*

I didn't have a problem with
slaying seigfried. The guy was a total coward anyways... At least Yaevin wasn't.

Binabik15

Gully State said:
I didn't have a problem with
slaying seigfried. The guy was a total coward anyways... At least Yaevin wasn't.

I´m pretty sure I rememberd him from the book, though. Felt weird to off him, especially how it was more like a randomn encounter than an important fight.

PS: The
"super hero"
den, brilliant. The lumberjacks were great, too. Game devs are nerds.

maniac-kun said:

Yeah never fun when it happens.

The good parts:

- The Witcher is still selling some nice numbers in sales if the keys run out. Which means a strong fanbase for Witcher 2.
- Steam is usally fast to get new keys, should be fixed by monday. Suck when it happens on weekends though.
- You will still love the game.

Slo

Just moved onto Chapter IV. It's a very refreshing change of setting, I was getting really sick of the same old locations and characters.

Slo

CecilRousso said:
The Professor.

He went down easy for me. Make sure your steel sword is equipped, and if you have some diamond dust or an oil make sure to apply it. Use strong style and concentrate everything on attacking the professor. I cast Ignis on him whenever it was charged. The Kikimore warriors will leave you alone as soon as he falls.

Salaadin

Slo said:
He went down easy for me. Make sure your steel sword is equipped, and if you have some diamond dust or an oil make sure to apply it. Use strong style and concentrate everything on attacking the professor. I cast Ignis on him whenever it was charged. The Kikimore warriors will leave you alone as soon as he falls.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Slo

Tried to delve into Chapter IV a little bit, and quit out after about 15 minutes. I was excited to have a change of scenery after the last chapter, but I'm really fatigued with the Witcher's approach of vomitting 10000 quests at you at the beginning of a chapter and then letting them slowly weave together as the chapter winds down. I think I've been a bit overwhelmed with the start of chapters 2, 3, and 4.

Hopefully a couple days away from the game will put me back into the mood.

Minsc

Gold Member
Slo said:
Tried to delve into Chapter IV a little bit, and quit out after about 15 minutes. I was excited to have a change of scenery after the last chapter, but I'm really fatigued with the Witcher's approach of vomitting 10000 quests at you at the beginning of a chapter and then letting them slowly weave together as the chapter winds down. I think I've been a bit overwhelmed with the start of chapters 2, 3, and 4.

Hopefully a couple days away from the game will put me back into the mood.

The quests in chapter 4 are really fun though, so do stick with it. It does sound like you're a little burnt out, but when you return you have maybe 10 hours of fun stories to complete, chapter 5 and the epilogue are very very linear, you'll get through both in like a single night.

Chapter 2 is what killed my initial Witcher playthrough. But yeah, sounds like you're just burned out..Go play something else and come back to it. Just don't take too long of a break as the end relies on you remembering choices you made for the big payoff.

Detox

I'm on Act 2 about 12 hours in and I agree about the pacing. They just drop so many quests on you from the beginning, I hope it's not like this in Witcher 2. Although I did like the way the quests tied up in Act 1 and it looks like the other acts will be similar. End of Act 1 really did make me feel like a bit of a shit tbh with the choices I'd made prior.

Just a question about the combat do I ever upgrade my witcher sword? And are the daggers/ axes/ clubs useful at all or just to spice things up.

Salaadin

Detox said:
I'm on Act 2 about 12 hours in and I agree about the pacing. They just drop so many quests on you from the beginning, I hope it's not like this in Witcher 2. Although I did like the way the quests tied up in Act 1 and it looks like the other acts will be similar. End of Act 1 really did make me feel like a bit of a shit tbh with the choices I'd made prior.

Just a question about the combat do I ever upgrade my witcher sword? And are the daggers/ axes/ clubs useful at all or just to spice things up.

The pacing is kinda weird. My complaint isnt so much the number of quests they give...its where they send you to do them - sewers, swamps, sewers, swamps. Lots of quests is a good thing in my book, they just need to give you different stuff to look at when youre doing them. The load times dont help at all.

The best thing to do is check every quest and find out where its sending you. Then go to that area and knock off as many quests as you can before heading back to town.

Ignore any weapons except swords. Carry a torch on you in case you dont have any Cat potions. Sell everything else.
You will come across Witcher sword upgrades. Youll know it when you get there.

Slo

I've got two items in my inventory that say they can upgrade a silver sword, but I have no idea what to do with them. Blacksmiths don't seem to want to do anything except buy them from me.

Any ideas?

Decay24

Neo Member
Slo said:
I've got two items in my inventory that say they can upgrade a silver sword, but I have no idea what to do with them. Blacksmiths don't seem to want to do anything except buy them from me.

Any ideas?

You need three pieces to upgrade your swords. A new sword should appear in the blacksmiths inventory if you have three pieces. You can mix and match too I believe.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, the pacing can be very uneven. When I first enter a new area and a dozen new quests pop up, I tend to feel overwhelmed especially when half or more if of them are fetch quests. The upside is that once I start to complete them and see how they all come together, that's when the game pulls me in the most. In the end, the payoff is worth it for me.

Anyways, I need to get back into this. I've been too addicted to one game to touch the dozens of others I have been working on, but I'm towards the end of ch. 4 so hopefully I can bang it out soon.

Slo

Decay24 said:
You need three pieces to upgrade your swords. A new sword should appear in the blacksmiths inventory if you have three pieces. You can mix and match too I believe.

Right, that's what happened with the steel sword. Looks like I just need to find one more artifact.

Salaadin

Snuggler said:
Yeah, the pacing can be very uneven. When I first enter a new area and a dozen new quests pop up, I tend to feel overwhelmed especially when half or more if of them are fetch quests. The upside is that once I start to complete them and see how they all come together, that's when the game pulls me in the most. In the end, the payoff is worth it for me.

Anyways, I need to get back into this. I've been too addicted to one game to touch the dozens of others I have been working on, but I'm towards the end of ch. 4 so hopefully I can bang it out soon.

Ch4 was such a nice change of pace.

I agree about being overwhelmed with the quests. I HATE the contract kills where you have to kill certain enemies. Its not a pain by itself but when you realize that you didnt read the proper books to harvest those ingredients, you get annoyed. And then you see that the book costs 600-900 oren. FFFFUUUUU

Funny thing is that even with the repeating and lots of quests, I still dont mind it as much as other games that pull similar stunts. I guess its like you said, the payoff is ultimately worth it. The world and characters are so good and seeing what affect your choices have really pulls you in.

Salaadin said:
Ch4 was such a nice change of pace.

I agree about being overwhelmed with the quests. I HATE the contract kills where you have to kill certain enemies. Its not a pain by itself but when you realize that you didnt read the proper books to harvest those ingredients, you get annoyed. And then you see that the book costs 600-900 oren. FFFFUUUUU

Funny thing is that even with the repeating and lots of quests, I still dont mind it as much as other games that pull similar stunts. I guess its like you said, the payoff is ultimately worth it. The world and characters are so good and seeing what affect your choices have really pulls you in.

The venders aren't the only places where these books are available. Depending on who you interact with, there's usually a free alternative.

Minsc

Gold Member
LastWindow said:
I loved chapter 4. Such beautiful scenery.

witcher%202010-08-21%2021-32-30-97.jpg

Donos

Although i totally fucked up my investigation
had kalkstein as suspect and everybody else was fed up with me so that i couldn't enter the cementry anymore
, i finally finished Chapter II. Ran like 20 hours through Vizima (and the swamp)... Chapter III is good till now. Wasn't really keen on playing on because of Chapter II but now i'm back on track. Geralt is picking up ladies left and right ;)

Top Bottom