• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Minsc said:
witcher%202010-08-21%2021-32-30-97.jpg

I've never gotten her sex card. :-\

Forkball

Ok need help with the Berenger's Secret quest. I'm in Chapter III

So in Chapter II, I have the prompt to look around the clay pits. Well I forgot to do that and now I'm in chapter III. I looked around in Chapter III, but nothing. I still have the quest as active so it didn't disappear, but nothing is around the clay pits that pushes the quest forward. WHAT DO I DOOOOOO?

Right now I'm just trying to do all the swamp quests so I never have to come back here again.

Forkball said:

So in Chapter II, I have the prompt to look around the clay pits. Well I forgot to do that and now I'm in chapter III. I looked around in Chapter III, but nothing. I still have the quest as active so it didn't disappear, but nothing is around the clay pits that pushes the quest forward. WHAT DO I DOOOOOO?

Right now I'm just trying to do all the swamp quests so I never have to come back here again.

From memory there should be a couple of dead bodies that you need to look, investigate, also I think you need to kill all the nearby Drowners

Hopefully im thinking of the right quest mate.

Forkball said:

I think even if you miss the previous parts in the swamp it'll pick up again in Act IV. It's a long term quest.

Forkball

Ok, if I can just wait until Chapter IV I'll do so.

And I just did the Blue Eyes quest. That uh... spun out of control.
WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT A VAMPIRE ORGY WOULD GO WRONG. Also I was legit startled when that girl's face turned all vampirey.

Anyone else feel this game feels very unpolished and low budget? The animation is kind of awkward. The graphics engine is kind of choppy too, when it moves through cutscenes to gameplay. The presentation is amazing though, UI and everything. Sort of low framerates for 8800GT is that abnormal?

momolicious said:
Anyone else feel this game feels very unpolished and low budget? The animation is kind of awkward. The graphics engine is kind of choppy too, when it moves through cutscenes to gameplay. The presentation is amazing though, UI and everything. Sort of low framerates for 8800GT is that abnormal?

Everything in this post sounds accurate.

BTW I'm on the last chapter and getting my ass kicked by the sewer monster...hints?

iavi

How About No said:
Everything in this post sounds accurate.

BTW I'm on the last chapter and getting my ass kicked by the sewer monster...hints?

Use strong stance on the arms. It hits, and they're usually down after only one. Then, iirc, you can stun him with a full ignii charge once his head is up.

If you're dying stay to the back corner(on the walkway, out of the water) and let Triss handle for a bit, it gives you some time to regain health/use potions etc.. etc..

burgerdog

Minsc said:
The quests in chapter 4 are really fun though, so do stick with it. It does sound like you're a little burnt out, but when you return you have maybe 10 hours of fun stories to complete, chapter 5 and the epilogue are very very linear, you'll get through both in like a single night.

Good stuff, I started the Witcher two years ago and got really frustrated with Chapter II. Tried it a few nights ago and finally got the 10 stones and all was good again, cruised through Chapter III with ease and reached IV last night. Your post will help me start up the game again knowing that I could finish in 10 hours. I really like the game, but I agree that giving you 10 quests at the start and then weaving them together is not something I like.

Miri said:
Use strong stance on the arms. It hits, and they're usually down after only one. Then, iirc, you can stun him with a full ignii charge once his head is up.

If you're dying stay to the back corner(on the walkway, out of the water) and let Triss handle for a bit, it gives you some time to regain health/use potions etc.. etc..

Thanks! Last attempt at this was in November, but I think my supplies are kinda low. I'm also at a seemingly point of no return, so I can't go farming. I'll try to do with what I have :x

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
momolicious said:

The game has its fair share of problems. I had to turn all the settings to low to prevent the game from locking up every hour or so.

Forkball said:

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT A VAMPIRE ORGY WOULD GO WRONG. Also I was legit startled when that girl's face turned all vampirey.

You are not alone
I jumped a bit a as well >_<

Zzoram

Forkball said:

I got the card :)

burgerdog

momolicious said:
omg, i played for an hour without saving and the game crashed wtfreak?!
The game crashes on me once per hour. F5 is my best friend in this game. I usually don't lose more than five minutes so I am okay with it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
burgerdog said:
The game crashes on me once per hour. F5 is my best friend in this game. I usually don't lose more than five minutes so I am okay with it.

Exactly this, gotta be really proactive with that quick save.

burgerdog said:
Unless you're low on HD space. Then it's your enemy because each save is 15 megs and they don't overwrite any quicksaves, they just keep adding to the folder. My first time through my save folder at one point was 450 megs before I started cleaning it out regularly.

Minsc

Gold Member
momolicious said:

Naw, you just need more powerful hardware, then the game feels plenty polished and not low budget. The engine is just not very optimized, you need a high level GTX 2XX+ or ATi 5850+ and a 4GHz intel / 5-6Ghz AMD CPU to max it at 60 fps. Felt like a true CRPG through and through to me. Pretty much never crashed, maybe two or three times in the entire 50+ hours, and everything else was in line with my expectations from gaming.

momolicious said:

Parts of the game visually haven't aged well from a technical perspective. But don't forget that this is a 2007 game running on a really dated engine.

Is this story really good? even in the enhanced version the dialouge makes less sense that random encounters in Oblivion - I'm only in the first act, but just talking to random people it's like everyone is hallucinating and nothing is real.:/

I hope the story improves because I'm not engaged. I get that CDproject is more cool than Bioware now, since they have been ruined by EA(bla bla bla bla..) but I am not sure CD Project are better at presentation, story and VA than bioware!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Vigilant Walrus said:
Is this story really good? even in the enhanced version the dialouge makes less sense that random encounters in Oblivion - I'm only in the first act, but just talking to random people it's like everyone is hallucinating and nothing is real.:/

I hope the story improves because I'm not engaged. I get that CDproject is more cool than Bioware now, since they have been ruined by EA(bla bla bla bla..) but I am not sure CD Project are better at presentation, story and VA than bioware!

I think they are like two steps above Bioware in everything which considers story and writing. But I also think it's a matter of taste. I like Bioware's stories because they are cliched, have a heart and therefore they are sort of cozy. But if you take them out of the game they are laughable. This can't be said about The Witcher.

Also there may be a cultural barrier for some people.

subversus said:
I think they are like two steps above Bioware in everything which considers story and writing. But I also think it's a matter of taste. I like Bioware's stories because they are cliched, have a heart and therefore they are sort of cozy. But if you take them out of the game they are laughable. This can't be said about The Witcher.

Also there may be a cultural barrier for some people.

I just completed Chapter 1, so I'm still very early on. I have to agree that the dialog and voice acting have been awkward, to this point. The overall story and setting seem more interesting and less cliched than in Bioware's games but the actual character interactions feel off and unnatural. I'm sure a lot has to do with the translation and the lower budget for voice talent.

subversus

Felix Lighter said:
I just completed Chapter 1, so I'm still very early on. I have to agree that the dialog and voice acting have been awkward, to this point. The overall story and setting seem more interesting and less cliched than in Bioware's games but the actual character interactions feel off and unnatural. I'm sure a lot has to do with the translation and the lower budget for voice talent.

I don't know about english VA, I played it in Polish. As for character interactions I didn't find them strange or awkward at all except those who were crazy people. Can you provide some examples?

iavi

subversus said:
I don't know about english VA, I played it in Polish. As for character interactions I didn't find them strange or awkward at all except those who were crazy people. Can you provide some examples?

I've finished the game and I can agree with that. I'd say it has more to do the animation during the conversations, rather than the dialogue. Ever get anybody putting their arms out in the fresh prince "I ain't even mad" pose with their head pointed directly into the sun, when the conversation doesn't even call for said animation? I got that on what feels like everyone.

Van Buren

Vigilant Walrus said:

For what it's worth, I'm making my way through the enhanced edition for the first time in preparation for the sequel (finished the vanilla version during its 2007 release and greatly enjoyed it). I've got to say that the gritty writing is a breath of fresh air after the competent, yet very familiar, writing in Bioware's entries. The fact that most factions and important characters in the Witcher cannot be classified into a binary description of good or evil is what sets the writing apart. Also bear in mind that there is not as much handholding when it comes to the main story as in the case with Bioware's stuff. The main plot in the Witcher is rewarding when you pay close attention to it and are able to infer hints placed along the main questline. Granted, the main plot might seem to lack a hook up until a few hours into the game.

All I can say is keep at it. The game has a slowish start, but really starts to differentiate itself from other modern rpgs when you start seeing the results of your past choices. I'd say Act 2 onwards is where you frequently witness the wonderful choice and consequence system in place.

subversus

Miri said:
I've finished the game and I can agree with that. I'd say it has more to do the animation during the conversations, rather than the dialogue. Ever get anybody putting their arms out in the fresh prince "I ain't even mad" pose with their head pointed directly into the sun, when the conversation doesn't even call for said animation? I got that on what feels like everyone.

YES, animation and facial animation were horrible. But I was talking about what people were saying.

iavi

subversus said:
YES, animation and facial animation were horrible. But I was talking about what people were saying.

Didn't run into any awkward sounding dialogue, and I played it in english.

subversus said:

The English voice acting needs work for sure but it's not a huge deal.

I guess the awkward dialog has been an issue with most conversation but for example, when Geralt brings up his amnesia to other characters that recognize him, the topic is just accepted and dropped. Maybe it's just me. Like I said I'm early on.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is a short compilation from various dialog, looks to be on spot with what I remember. It was fine for me, I was actually impressed from time to time with the animation of the blurred out of focus people that are in the background of conversations like in a bar - sometimes their actions and blurred images looked lifelike. It didn't stand out as being bad, or great for the most part, but the VA was definitely fine in english and didn't detract or deter me from the interesting story.

The Witcher 2 is bringing the dialog to more of a cinematic Mass Effect 2 level, should be much more interesting.

subversus

Felix Lighter said:
The English voice acting needs work for sure but it's not a huge deal.

I guess the awkward dialog has been an issue with most conversation but for example, when Geralt brings up his amnesia to other characters that recognize him, the topic is just accepted and dropped. Maybe it's just me. Like I said I'm early on.

Have you made it out of the castle? I mean if you got hit in the head hard people won't be surprised if you have amnesia. And if you tell other people they won't be surprised too and won't try to bring this topic a lot to avoid awkwardness. I don't remeber anybody focusing on amnesia. I remember a political discussion with a trader though. It was awesome because the trader had the same arguments as my friend had when we were discussing the same topic on the weekend before that.

subversus said:
Have you made it out of the castle? I mean if you got hit in the head hard people won't be surprised if you have amnesia. And if you tell other people they won't be surprised too and won't try to bring this topic a lot to avoid awkwardness. I don't remeber anybody focusing on amnesia. I remember a political discussion with a trader though. It was awesome because the trader had the same arguments as my friend had when we were discussing the same topic on the weekend before that.

I've left the castle and just defeated the beast in the first village. It hasn't turned me off to the game at all. I like what has been set up story wise. I also feel like the personalities of the characters feel more realistic. It isn't black and white; everything is a shade of gray including the decisions you have to make. It's just that the dialog has felt a little unnatural to my ears. I appear to be in the minority, though.

Slo

I'm glad that
I got into Celina's pants before she got killed and turned into a nightwraith.
Who am I kidding? I'd have done it anyway.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I found even running on a 5970 2Gb video card I was required to turn off AA to get smooth performance out of the game.But everything else is maxed and it looks and plays fantastic.
I was getting 15 to 20 fps in the swamp till i turned off AA and now its smooth as butter

iavi

Slo said:
I'm glad that
I got into Celina's pants before she got killed and turned into a nightwraith.
Who am I kidding? I'd have done it anyway.

Ewww, you's a freaky one.

The enemy design for those night-wraiths actually creeped me the fuck out.

Slo

Seems like most of the time I get 60-70 fps, but if I Alt-Tab out or something, I'll come back to 10-12 fps. It's a really weird engine.

Kyaw

Did you also get with the
prostitutes/vampires and that blue eyed girl/vampire
in the Trade Quarter brothel?

Slo

Kyaw said:
Did you also get with the
prostitutes/vampires and that blue eyed girl/vampire
in the Trade Quarter brothel?

Yeah.
Those bitches weren't nearly dead enough for me.

Kyaw

I was going to
help her brother to get her back but said nah, fuck it, didnt like the order either, so double bonus! But i did get creeped out when on of them transformed into a vampire behind me ><

Slo

Now that I'm into Chapter 5, I'm really glad I'm not with the order. Those guys are complete taint lickers.

iavi

Slo said:
Now that I'm into Chapter 5, I'm really glad I'm not with the order. Those guys are complete taint lickers.

Yeah...
you can probably find my experiences a few pages back, but siding with them is almost obviously written as the you having chose the wrong path. It's fucked from left to right.

Kyaw said:
The trade quarter was also very demanding. It's just the badly optimised engine.
It's an engine that's older than dirt being pushed way past it's limits, it's going to be pretty funny when the sequel ends up performing better on the same hardware.

Top Bottom