• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
SalsaShark said:
fuck it imma keep playing on Normal

stepping out of town awhh yeeahhhh

RaU9L.png

XHWck.png

V71GH.png

y u no tell me how to get that sword.

I want it

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ermac said:

I want it

I believe that's just a little Drowner blood.

So would it be best to play hard difficulty the first time through?

It is a fairly easy game, so if you require challenge it's your best bet. On the other hand, the combat isn't that great and I prefer to just get it over with quicker rather than keep repeating the same sections.

Salsa

Ermac said:

I want it

Just a regular sword crafted with some runes. The blue stuff is just super hyper special thing (cant remember what) i dipped the sword in that's gonna run out soon.

Van Buren

Teknoman said:
So would it be best to play hard difficulty the first time through?

I'd say hard is only difficulty where it pays to make use of the various subsystems like alchemy/bombs/sword oils, etc. On normal and below, very few fights are challenging enough to warrant using these abilities, but on hard difficulty, some fights mandate their use. Even on hard, the fights are fair.

That said, be sure to check in when the end of chapter 1 fight seems unfairly difficult.

Snuggler said:
If you're using the keyboard based control scheme, you can switch between your different sword types with Q and E. Also, if you hold shift you can click on their icons on the HUD, which is the easiest way to select different weapons and spells.

scholar and a gentleman. thank ya.

Slo

Forkball said:
Got to Chapter 4.

The last part with the Kikimore queen was hella annoying. I kept accidentally killing myself. I'm glad I finally killed the Professor, but damn Javed has the most convenient escapes I've ever seen. As for major decisions, I spared Vincent and cured him, gave Alvin to Triss, and I sided with the Order. I can understand why the elves and dwarves feel persecuted, but it's hard to feel sorry for Yaevinn and his lot since they are more or less just terrorists. But now the Order seems to be corrupt since Adda is trying to stage a coup. IS THERE NO ONE I CAN TRUST?

I'm really interested to hear what you think of the ending with those choices. I choose to join Yaevinn.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
...and we're done. 47 hours according to Steam, but it lasted me almost two months. I guess I'm just slow.

As you might have already noticed, I enjoyed it a lot. I think it could have benefited from several hours of fat cut out, hauling ass back and forth from locations and gathering items made the pacing drag a bit at times, but I liked the way that the plot unfolded over the course of the game. It feels like the choices you make matter, and there are characters and moments throughout the entire game that show the results of your decisions. It goes beyond one cutscene and a pop up telling you if you were good or bad in the conversation you just had. The choices you make rarely feel superficial, or as if they are there just to boost your ego, they almost always have an impact (sometimes unexpected ones).

Speaking of choice, I also appreciated the fact that they were anchored by Geralt's character. You never say sweet things to people or cut the down unprovoked to solve a problem. No matter what conversation option you choose, it's delivered in the same gravely, smooth and deadpan way. Because of this, Geralt feels like a defined character compared to the blank slates in similar games, and your choices still make a difference on top of that. It's the best of both worlds.

I could drone on about all the other aspects of the game I liked, but holding my interest for nearly 50 hours is good enough proof of how much I enjoyed it. It wasn't love at first sight, it took time to grow on me, but Rivia is a pretty intriguing place that stands out compared to megabland shit like wherever Dragon Age takes place and it has some interesting lore too. I actually wanted to know more, which is rare. It was nice to look at too, especially chapter 4 which had some stunning environments (oh god lakeside).

Of course, when I saw the result of my choices I didn't feel so good about them. I'm used to good and bad endings, but instead it looks like
the scoia'tael just killed a ton of people then everything went back just as fucked up as it was before. It was neither good or bad, just more of the same. I sided with them because I could understand their plight, bigotry isn't cool. Seemed like the Order kind of had it coming considering they were experimenting on people and shit.

Other choices: Saved the Witch, hooked up with Shani, did the investigation proper, sided with the Scoi' at the bank and in ch. 4, and then killed that spectre thing and finished the Grandmaster myself. There seem to been a significant amount of branching paths in this game, a 2nd playthrough could play out very differently. Like I said, I regret some of it but I can't wait to see how it plays out in Witcher 2. Also, the ending cutscene makes it even harder.

also: boobs

So yeah, I liked it. TW2 is barely over a month away, but it's gonna be a long wait.

Finally beat stupid cheap Zeugel!

...now I got killed by the last boss and forgot to save, meaning I need to start that entire area over again

:(

Luthos

So I'm about to restart the game, so I can beat it before Witcher 2 comes out.

And I remember something that bugged me a lot last time. Why doesn't this game overwrite quick save files? I abuse quick save in PC games. And I ended up having dozens of save files, when at most, 3 quick save slots would be sufficient. IMO.

Leonsito

Oh shit, I reinstalled this just to load my old savegames and it seems that non-enhaced version saves doesn't work with the 1.5 enhaced version, when I load them I have the items and quests of the new save I made in Kaer Morhen ...

Besides that, I think that I deleted the saves I needed, the ones I have are in the Temple Quarter, not at the end of the game ... FUUUUUUUUUCK

Echoplx

I was really getting into this game then i hit a bump, to complete the quest for Abigail on the outskirts you need to pick plants and to do that you need the skill in the alchemy talent tree. Not really up for grinding to get it :(

Desi

^very true. I would advise you to play the witcher by saving your talents when you level up. At least until you hit a decent stride and acquired some things. No point in wasting talents when you could spend them on silver sword, agni, herbalism, etc.

I didn't start spending any until level 10 and even then I still had a handful left just in case I found a use for a certain skill or ability.

Minsc

Gold Member
3chopl0x said:
I was really getting into this game then i hit a bump, to complete the quest for Abigail on the outskirts you need to pick plants and to do that you need the skill in the alchemy talent tree. Not really up for grinding to get it :(

FAQ says you can just buy them from vendors (mentions a merchant just outside the inn that sells them). Dunno, I couldn't ever play the game if everything popped up as "unknown" so one of the first talents I got was Herbalism. Didn't save any of my points either, and had no troubles.

3chopl0x said:
I bought them outside of the inn. I'm currently at the end of Chapter 4 doing a play through that skips most of the side quests and I still don't have the ability to pick herbs. Only time it's bit me was a side quest on Chapter 3 that required 5 fools parsley and I never found vendors that had enough of it.

Echoplx

Minsc said:
FAQ says you can just buy them from vendors (mentions a merchant just outside the inn that sells them). Dunno, I couldn't ever play the game if everything popped up as "unknown" so one of the first talents I got was Herbalism. Didn't save any of my points either, and had no troubles.
Jay Shadow said:
I bought them outside of the inn. I'm currently at the end of Chapter 4 doing a play through that skips most of the side quests and I still don't have the ability to pick herbs.

Oh wow, my bad. But I don't get any message over the plants, not even 'unknown'.

I've been doing a jack-of-all-trades build though and distributing points equally as i go.

3chopl0x said:
Oh wow, my bad. But I don't get any message over the plants, not even 'unknown'.

I've been doing a jack-of-all-trades build though and distributing points equally as i go.

You have to spend a talent to learn the herb picking skill first.

Minsc

Gold Member
3chopl0x said:

I think you have to hold alt down or something? Or I could be making that up, not sure.

Edit:
Confidence Man said:
You have to spend a talent to learn the herb picking skill first.

Or that.

Forkball

Herbalism is extremely important for quests and to make potions. I recommend anyone starting out to master that as soon as possible.

I'm currently in Chapter 4 right now. It's a good change of pace and a lot of interesting things have happened so far
finally met that jerk Berengar
. It seems to be a bit disconnected from the main story though, but maybe it will tie in later.

How many people here experienced the Geralt face glitch? Easily one of the scariest things I've witnessed in a game. I'll seriously say it creeped me out more than stuff like Amnesia.

Echoplx

Yep I probably have to put a point in it as holding down alt doesn't show plant names or 'unknown'

Thanks for the help, I'll be getting back into the game now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Discotheque said:
How many people here experienced the Geralt face glitch? Easily one of the scariest things I've witnessed in a game. I'll seriously say it creeped me out more than stuff like Amnesia.

I had a glitch at the start of the game where his entire character model was missing except for his eyes, so he was basically all black with floating eyes. That was really creepy too.

Animator

Chapter 2 is so fucking vast. Everyone I talk to adds a new quest in the journal. I am so lost in this game. Also the swamp sucks ass with those goddamn tentacle plants.

Leonsito

3chopl0x said:
Yep I probably have to put a point in it as holding down alt doesn't show plant names or 'unknown'

Thanks for the help, I'll be getting back into the game now.

My advice: buy all the books you see in the game, and read them all, a lot of info in plants, monsters, recipes, places, story... And they are needed in order to identify some herbs and some ingredients from monsters.

Kyaw

Animator said:
Chapter 2 is so fucking vast. Everyone I talk to adds a new quest in the journal. I am so lost in this game. Also the swamp sucks ass with those goddamn tentacle plants.

Take your time, solve the quests properly, dont rush things. :)
Also run past shit in the swamps, your running is way faster than anything so nothing can catch you.

Minsc

Gold Member
Animator said:

I never found it that bad, just focus on the quests with map markers, the game tells you where to go practically, and disregard the rest if they're puzzling. Those swamp plants get easier later on, you can use igni to help when you get it, but there's one in particular that will kill you all the time, however it can't move, it can only spawn in a dozen or so pre-determined locations, so you can just run by it. I only had to do that a couple times, then later when you're stronger you can take it down easily, and there's a trophy quest you can collect a reward for killing it as well.

Edit: I enjoyed the combat well enough, so I didn't run from stuff while exploring the swamp (except for the vine-thing) unless I was doing a quest that involved trekking across the swamp a lot going through areas I already explored.

Animator said:
If it's getting to be tedious use the main quest filter and just focus on that. Chapter 2 turns out to be quite manageable when not running back and forth to turn in side quests. I was doing only main quests on my current play through and I stopped to do the lumberjack quests since I sort of liked the way it played out. It ended up turning into a complete momentum killer for me because of all the back and forth running to complete it.

Gully State said:
Why were you underwhelmed?

This post will be spoilerific, obviously.

A little about my experience. I've had this game since Christmas 2007, and have restarted from Chapter one probably twice. One when the Enhanced Edition patch came out, and then I stopped suddenly and then restarted again for a refresher. I typically took season long breaks every now and then. For example, I started the Epilogue in November and only pushed through a few nights ago. Honestly, I blame Chapter 1 completely for this, since it's extremely boring, long, and uninteresting until the very end. Shoulda just started it in the city after the prologue. Every chapter had its rough spot, though, but Chapter 1 was all rough.

I sided with the Scoiatell and dated Shani. After playing I couldn't even imagine siding with the Order.

The grand master is sorta a boring final villain, especially coming off of the Professor and Azar. Maybe I was just going through the motions by the epilogue, but I couldn't care less about his motivations or Icy Apocalypse. Maybe it didn't help that I got killed by him and had to redo the final area (was playing Crysis 2 previously and forgot to quick save, lolz). And then this random Death guy shows up, and gives me a recap of my choices, which was kinda cool. But then I get a choice, one of which I assume forces me to fight him, and I was sick of the game's combat by then, so I skipped that and just finished the game. Then I get a somewhat of a mindfuck relating to Alvin, but I got most of what that little shit said much earlier in the game scratched from my brain. I kinda forgot all about that sideplot. Then we get this epilogue voiced by Dandelion, and they could even get the pauses between the lines right, kinda took me out of it :/

Then the final CG scene was pretty badass, but the cliffhanger was meh. "The assassin was a Witcher!?! Oh noes how could this beee"

Also, I know this is a low-budget game and all, but the thing that severely ticked me was the model reuse for important named NPCs. The worse case was when I saw the doppelganger of a certain badass transforming character late in the game, and could only shake my head.

Needless to say, I am excited for Witcher 2 and would read the novels if given a chance, since I'm still interested in the world and characters.

But Dandilion's English VA sucks. Hard. I think Geralt and almost everyone else's is great-ish.

(does the Spike in my avvie and Alvin share the same voice actress, btw? :eek:)

bigf00t

I think I'm about half way through Chapter 4 (just finished the In the Heat of the Day stuff), and I'm wondering how much longer the game is. I do most sidequests and usually explore pretty thoroughly, and from what I've heard I have 10-15 more hours left. Does this sound about right? I'd really like to get this finished before The Witcher 2 comes out, and I don't get a lot of time to play.

Oh, and this game is fantastic! I think the biggest thing that it does right is the atmosphere and believability of the world. Every location feels like it fits into the larger world instead of being a "game zone". The feeling of running through the swamp during a storm or witnessing a sunrise in the fields is amazing. The game looks so great at times, it's easy to forget it is several years old. Can't wait for The Witcher 2!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think I'm about half way through Chapter 4 (just finished the In the Heat of the Day stuff), and I'm wondering how much longer the game is. I do most sidequests and usually explore pretty thoroughly, and from what I've heard I have 10-15 more hours left. Does this sound about right? I'd really like to get this finished before The Witcher 2 comes out, and I don't get a lot of time to play.

The game is very front loaded, chapter 5 and especially the epilogue seemed pretty damn short. I think I completed both in about 5 hours total. I would lean more towards 10 hours at the most, but I can't remember when exactly your current quest is.

Salaadin

bigf00t said:

Oh, and this game is fantastic! I think the biggest thing that it does right is the atmosphere and believability of the world. Every location feels like it fits into the larger world instead of being a "game zone". The feeling of running through the swamp during a storm or witnessing a sunrise in the fields is amazing. The game looks so great at times, it's easy to forget it is several years old. Can't wait for The Witcher 2!

You got a little ways to go in Act 4 yet and then its Act 5. Id say 10-15 is accurate.

I agree about the graphics. The game runs like hell but it still manages to pull off some nice scenery. I love the lake in the outskirts during a sunrise or the Field in Act 4 during a sunset.

How About No said:
I sided with the Scoiatell and dated Shani. After playing I couldn't even imagine siding with the Order.

The grand master is sorta a boring final villain, especially coming off of the Professor and Azar. Maybe I was just going through the motions by the epilogue, but I couldn't care less about his motivations or Icy Apocalypse. Maybe it didn't help that I got killed by him and had to redo the final area (was playing Crysis 2 previously and forgot to quick save, lolz). And then this random Death guy shows up, and gives me a recap of my choices, which was kinda cool. But then I get a choice, one of which I assume forces me to fight him, and I was sick of the game's combat by then, so I skipped that and just finished the game. Then I get a somewhat of a mindfuck relating to Alvin, but I got most of what that little shit said much earlier in the game scratched from my brain. I kinda forgot all about that sideplot. Then we get this epilogue voiced by Dandelion, and they could even get the pauses between the lines right, kinda took me out of it :/

Then the final CG scene was pretty badass, but the cliffhanger was meh. "The assassin was a Witcher!?! Oh noes how could this beee"

I thought the whole
Jacques=Alvin revelation was what made the ending of the game not what you described. For me, I paid very little attention to the Alvin quest as well and just felt nuisanced by him the whole time. So when it's finally revealed that Alvin=Jacques, I actually felt a bit guilty that my neglect of Alvin was the reason why Jacques was so twisted and that the order and its ideals were the direct consequences of my influence on Alvin.

The last CG in my mind was just a good setup for the sequel and nothing else.

mhznet

Finally started this game last week had it for ages after buying it on sale for $7 on Steam.

So I ask you GAF,
what's wrong with the Beast? It killed me like 20 times already and I really can't beat it. Abigail/Angry Mob dies in no time, I've tried to protect her to no avail, tried all fight styles and signs, almost got the body toxicity to the unbearable level, tried to hit and run and quite a lot of other tactics

I guess I'm missing something, either on the game or the skills to play it.

Come on, the game was a piece of cake 'till this fight. :(

Complistic

mhznet said:
Finally started this game last week had it for ages after buying it on sale for $7 on Steam.

So I ask you GAF,
what's wrong with the Beast? It killed me like 20 times already and I really can't beat it. Abigail/Angry Mob dies in no time, I've tried to protect her to no avail, tried all fight styles and signs, almost got the body toxicity to the unbearable level, tried to hit and run and quite a lot of other tactics

I guess I'm missing something, either on the game or the skills to play it.

Come on, the game was a piece of cake 'till this fight. :(

Hardest part of my first playthrough. Either chug a blizzard at the start of the fight, or coat your blade with spectral oil before the fight. Other than that, keep abigail alive, you can actually do it, if she does go down you can keep running around and eventually she'll get back up and heal you again. would recommend mostly not engaging the beast but using group style on all the other dogs (which also will slowly weaken the beast). Once it's down to half health hit him with an Aard and then run up and do a finishing move on him.

Van Buren

mhznet said:

That fight is probably the toughest in the game relative to the abilities at your disposal. Going head on against the boss and its lackeys generally results in a game over screen. Aard is the key. Drink Swallow, Tawny Owl, and keep running around the boss while casting Aard whenever its up. It takes a while, but you'll manage to get a lucky stun on the boss. Wait for that moment and only then attack it - Geralt should 1 hit kill the boss. You can ignore the dogs being summoned. This strategy works if you have a few points put into the Aard skill tree; specifically the stun skill.

Btw, you can quicksave as soon as the fight begins. Another strategy to try is to keep Abigail alive - group style on the dogs attacking her, and she will heal you in return. I think you should be able to take on the boss with Swallow + her healing you, if the Aard tactic does not work with your current talent build. Good luck !

Animator

Can someone help me with the swamp and Berangar quest:

quest journal says I should go look for Berangar near the clay pits but I looked every inch around that area and cant find berangar or any clue. Did my game glitch or something?

Van Buren

Animator said:

quest journal says I should go look for Berangar near the clay pits but I looked every inch around that area and cant find berangar or any clue. Did my game glitch or something?

I got a quest update when I spoke to Vaska first. You can find her in the Brickmaker's village. After that, I just had to loot one of the two bodies at the clay pits.

AEREC

Ive owned this game for a while but never paid it any attention (bought it in a steam sale for $5)...finally got around to playing and enjoying the hell out of it.

My only gripes are the awkward movement and the fact that there is no walk button and I dont want to resort to mods to have the option to walk...but otherwise the atmosphere and music is great, combat was a little awkward at first but I am enjoying it more now.

Kyaw

AEREC said:
Ive owned this game for a while but never paid it any attention (bought it in a steam sale for $5)...finally got around to playing and enjoying the hell out of it.

My only gripes are the awkward movement and the fact that there is no walk button and I dont want to resort to mods to have the option to walk...but otherwise the atmosphere and music is great, combat was a little awkward at first but I am enjoying it more now.

What do you mean walk button? You walk with your swords sheathed, right?
Or did you mean WoW's autowalk or something?

Animator said:

Quest progression does indeed take place around the clay pits. Not too far from the Vodyanoi altar if memory serves me well.

Top Bottom