• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

AEREC

Kyaw said:
What do you mean walk button? You walk with your swords sheathed, right?
Or did you mean WoW's autowalk or something?

No, I mean when in third person mode (as well as ISO) his only movement option is a jog/run, even with weapons sheathed...there's no way to slowly walk to enjoy the atmosphere.

Slo

AEREC said:
No, I mean when in third person mode (as well as ISO) his only movement option is a jog/run, even with weapons sheathed...there's no way to slowly walk to enjoy the atmosphere.

Stand still?

Slo

AEREC said:
Yup...very absurd, almost as absurd as not including a walk button in a game.

I'm honestly not aware of any game that has one. I guess it must be pretty common for RPGs to have since you seem to expect one like it's a given, but I'm genuinely shocked that people would use a walk button if there's no stealth involved in the gameplay. I've never, ever, ever been running to my destination in an RPG and thought to myself "how can I move slower?" If anything I'm looking for a turbo button.

My mind is blown. I guess I'm glad that you can walk in the Witcher, if that's your thing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Slo said:
I'm honestly not aware of any game that has one. I guess it must be pretty common for RPGs to have since you seem to expect one like it's a given, but I'm genuinely shocked that people would use a walk button if there's no stealth involved in the gameplay. I've never, ever, ever been running to my destination in an RPG and thought to myself "how can I move slower?" If anything I'm looking for a turbo button.

My mind is blown. I guess I'm glad that you can walk in the Witcher, if that's your thing.

I always assumed it was for ppl who want to RP in their RPGs.

AEREC

Slo said:

Did you ever think to realize people may enjoy playing games in a different manner than you do?

The only games I can think of that dont have a walk button are Max Payne 2 and The Withcer...at least those are the only two that have bothered me enough about it to remember.

Also for anyone else who knows...how is the difficulty in this game? I usually like a challenge but Ive been reading this game can be pretty easy even on hard, Im still in chapter 1 so Im thinking about just starting over in Hard mode.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Slo said:
Okay, so I'm coming off as a dick. That's not my intent.

Not at all (at least not to me). I'm with you - I don't see the point - but I also realize that some people like to role play and need the walk button.

Slo

AEREC said:
Did you ever think to realize people may enjoy playing games in a different manner than you do?

The only games I can think of that dont have a walk button are Max Payne 2 and The Withcer...at least those are the only two that have bothered me enough about it to remember.

Truthfully? No, it never occurred to me that someone would want intentionally pimp strut from one NPC to another in a game. I understand exploring and doing side quests and not just blowing through the game, but no it never occured to me that somebody would want to literally move slower.

Out of curiosity, are there any games that have a "limp" button?

commish said:
Not at all (at least not to me). I'm with you - I don't see the point - but I also realize that some people like to role play and need the walk button.

Great, I'm not trying to piss people off.

AEREC

Slo said:
Truthfully? No, it never occurred to me that someone would want intentionally pimp strut from one NPC to another in a game. I understand exploring and doing side quests and not just blowing through the game, but no it never occured to me that somebody would want to literally move slower.

Out of curiosity, are there any games that have a "limp" button?

Great, I'm not trying to piss people off.

I dont think so, but plenty of games have a limp animation when health is low.

Anyways, sorry for the retaliation if you were not trying to argue.

Slo

AEREC said:
Also for anyone else who knows...how is the difficulty in this game? I usually like a challenge but Ive been reading this game can be pretty easy even on hard, Im still in chapter 1 so Im thinking about just starting over in Hard mode.

Difficulty is pretty low. I can think of one or two points in the game where the battle was actually a little difficult, but for the most part the combat is all about picking the right sword and the right style against the enemies that you're facing.

Soodes

To me there are quite a few dramatic scenes in many games that loses it's dramatic feel partly because of how the main character moves. For example last boss holding a speech while you bunnyhop around in a circle waiting for him to finish. Here I just prefer to have the option to walk slow and calmly etc

Sure it's far from a gamebreaking thing for me but just nice to have different options at least

AEREC

Slo said:
Difficulty is pretty low. I can think of one or two points in the game where the battle was actually a little difficult, but for the most part the combat is all about picking the right sword and the right style against the enemies that you're facing.

Thanks...guess Im starting over.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Slo said:

because running around the hall or audience chamber when high-ranking guests and officials are enjoying their champagne and indulging themselves in low-voice conversations and intrigues is SO APPROPRIATE.

Slo

subversus said:
because running around the hall or audience chamber when high-ranking guest and officials are enjoying their champagne and indulging themselves in low-voice conversations and intrigues is SO APPROPRIATE.

I see your point, I'm just not particularly moved by it. I'm able to suspend my disbelief for that, and it doesn't ruin the immersion to me.

rogue74

I picked up this game during the Steam holiday sale for $5.00. I finally started playing a few weeks ago in anticipation of the sequel. I am loving every minute of it. The technical issues are annoying but the story and characters are so strong that it isn't too hard to overlook.

Currently in the beginning of Act III and absolutely loved
Leuvardeen's soiree in the upper floor of the inn.
Other RPG's should include more quests like this.

I just did the
bank robbery quest. Although I have sympathy for the non-humans, I couldn't bring myself to support the Squirrels. Especially after that quest in the cemetery where you discover the dead bodies were killed by elves and consumed by ghouls after the fact. After I rescued that family in the crypt I made up my mind then and there. Problem is the Order seems to be made up of douches. We'll see how it plays out.

I love what I'm reading about Witcher 2 and am excited that it will be a much better looking game that will run better than the original on my current hardware.

If there was one thing I would tell CDProjekt to change gameplay wise is the interface in the OTS view. Attaching the camera to the mouse and forcing the user to hold down shift to move the mouse pointer to an interface element is awful. This would control so much better with a WoW-like interface.

Deadstar

I just started chapter 3. Man, this game is amazing. One of the best rpg's I have ever played. There is so much to do. I doubt I'll finish by the time Witcher 2 comes out but I will be ready in time.

Also, anyone have any stuttering issues? Every few minutes the game will pause for a brief second. This was happening in TF2 and I excluded a certain folder in windows live essentials and that fixed my problem. I'm wondering if there is a similar fix for the witcher.

rogue74

Slo said:
I see your point, I'm just not particularly moved by it. I'm able to suspend my disbelief for that, and it doesn't ruin the immersion to me.

I admit I'm one of those that looked for a walk button. Once I saw that I couldn't find one, I got over it and just got on with it.

It does get really annoying in quests where you are asked to follow an NPC and they proceed to walk. You end up sprinting a short distance, stopping so the NPC can walk a few paces ahead, and then sprint again. Rinse and repeat until you reach your destination. The whole sequence ends up looking stupid.

bigf00t

I've been trying to play this game without looking at any guides or FAQs because as soon as I do, I start having to min/max and become compulsively worried about missing any content (sidequests etc). I always start out rpgs intending to "just go with it", but the flesh is weak in the end, and I crack and look up a guide.

I've been staying away from guides for The Witcher so far, and I think it's part of the reason I'm enjoying the game so much. It's a relatively easy game in many ways, and no min/maxing is even close to required. Just from reading this thread, I realize there's several whole questlines I've missed, but it doesn't even bother me!
Free at last?

Not quite.
I've just finished Chapter IV, and I was curious about the piece of armor that I picked up in the Crypt where I met Berengar. I decided to take a quick look at the witcher wiki to see if I had missed a quest to complete the armor. I'm still rocking the starting armor, so I needed an upgrade. Looking at the article about the armor, I find that you get a different version based on who you sided with. Ok, I guess that makes sense.
Unfortunately, I'm a melee focused character who sided with the rebels, meaning I get stuck with what appears to be shitty caster armor. I know I just said min/maxing isn't required, but this really bugs me. I'm all for early decisions I make on the game having far-reaching consequences, but if I choose a side, there should be similar rewards either way, unless it's telegraphed ahead that there won't be. Don't mess with my phat lewtz!

On a positive note, I managed to beat the King at dice poker the first time, with MAX bet every round. I think there was 4-5k in the pot. Eager Thighs Brothel here I come...

lotrfan

Neo Member
rogue74 said:
I just did the
bank robbery quest. Although I have sympathy for the non-humans, I couldn't bring myself to support the Squirrels. Especially after that quest in the cemetery where you discover the dead bodies were killed by elves and consumed by ghouls after the fact. After I rescued that family in the crypt I made up my mind then and there. Problem is the Order seems to be made up of douches. We'll see how it plays out.
I just had my second play through several weeks ago and don't recall this (family in crypt). Can you or anyone expand on this? Thanks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lotrfan said:
I just had my second play through several weeks ago and don't recall this (family in crypt). Can you or anyone expand on this? Thanks.

there was the quest about a human family in the crypt but I don't remember details.

rogue74

lotrfan said:

Sure:

In Act III, you find Siegfried outside of his headquarters in the Temple Quarter training soldiers. If you talk to him you can get a quest to investigate the cemetery and find what has been killing people. When you first go in, circumstantial evidence suggests it is ghouls. If you look at the bodies a bit closer you will find that some of them have wounds that suggest they were killed by daggers. In the center of the cemetery there is a round structure (the one that has basilisk statue where you put one of Triss' sensors). If you go inside you will find a talking ghoul who tells you the ghouls are only eating corpses, and that the true killers are elves (pointy eared ones). He also tells you that they are at the crypt and I BELIEVE he tells you they have kidnapped some humans. I don't recall this last point though. It is up to you to believe him or not. Since I found the other evidence on the bodies, I did believe him. I then went to the crypt and there was a group of elves standing outside who tell you they have a family inside that they are leaving for ghouls to devour. You have a choice to attack the elves there, but if you do you are warned that you won't have time to save the family. I let them get away and made my way into the crypt. Inside you find a group of elves and the remaining members of a family who they captured and were going to feed to ghouls.

lotrfan

Neo Member
rogue74 said:
Sure:

In Act III, you find Siegfried outside of his headquarters in the Temple Quarter training soldiers. If you talk to him you can get a quest to investigate the cemetery and find what has been killing people. When you first go in, circumstantial evidence suggests it is ghouls. If you look at the bodies a bit closer you will find that some of them have wounds that suggest they were killed by daggers. In the center of the cemetery there is a round structure (the one that has basilisk statue where you put one of Triss' sensors). If you go inside you will find a talking ghoul who tells you the ghouls are only eating corpses, and that the true killers are elves (pointy eared ones). He also tells you that they are at the crypt and I BELIEVE he tells you they have kidnapped some humans. I don't recall this last point though. It is up to you to believe him or not. Since I found the other evidence on the bodies, I did believe him. I then went to the crypt and there was a group of elves standing outside who tell you they have a family inside that they are leaving for ghouls to devour. You have a choice to attack the elves there, but if you do you are warned that you won't have time to save the family. I let them get away and made my way into the crypt. Inside you find a group of elves and the remaining members of a family who they captured and were going to feed to ghouls.
Thanks very much.
I have a vague recollection of this on my first play through but still not sure (some parts seem to “ring a bell”). The thing is that my first play through was about a month and a half or so and I should remember it clearly. I guess it’s time to play as neutral and verify if I did this quest before or not. In any case thanks again.

Gvaz

Banned
The Beast took out half my health in one shot lol, I immediately used aard and did a coupe de grace and he died right then.

Jesus that woke me up though.

JohngPR

Beat the game yesterday!

I Really enjoyed the game. It's weird because the game has quite a few technical problems (you could have a beast of a machine and still have frame rate problems) and design problems but I enjoyed the game nonetheless. From a design perspective, there were way too many fetch quests and backtracking and as you went along, it just felt like they were just padding the game with busy work.

Fallout 3 is the one game I think about that did side quests right. Even though they were secondary to the story, Fallout made you want to do them because there was a base interest to find out what was going to happen within the small story arcs they developed into them. It's that little extra narrative that you get from FO3's side quests that really help you invest into them.

Although the combat system is fun in The Witcher, it doesn't sustain it for the 60 hours I played it (I know I'm just a freak and do every side quest but still).

I enjoyed the alchemy angle, but I wish it was a bit fleshed out more. It could have stood to be more obvious what spells did what and maybe even encouraged you to use it more often. That and they reused characters way too often.

Now on to the things I liked about the game. More than anything, the art direction was phenomenal. There were tons of instances where I had a "wow" moment from just walking around. What a lot of RPG's get wrong is that they have towns that feel more like hubs than anything which breaks the elusion. In the Witcher, it really felt like you were going to real places and you got a sense of where you were, the people that lived there, and what your place in that world was.

Another thing I really enjoyed was the whole detective angle. I found all the quests where you were finding and piecing together all of these clues to solve a mystery a lot of fun. I can't think of many RPGs that have done quests like that so it felt really fresh and interesting to me.

It's pretty amazing to think that CD Projeckt cut their teeth with this game. It feels way more polished than it should be for a first time game in some aspects while showing it's signs of infancy in others. Can't wait for The Witcher 2!

scitek

Radeon 6950 w/ unlocked shaders
Phenom II 925 x4 @ 3.5GHz
4GB DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit

EDIT: I'm playing with everything maxed at 1920x1080. When I set the lighting to medium, it plays fine, but at high the cutscenes freeze on the first frame and I still hear the audio.

rogue74

scitek said:
Radeon 6950 w/ unlocked shaders
Phenom II 925 x4 @ 3.5GHz
4GB DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit

EDIT: I'm playing with everything maxed at 1920x1080. When I set the lighting to medium, it plays fine, but at high the cutscenes freeze on the first frame and I still hear the audio.

That's actually a little bit more powerful than mine:

Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.1GHz
4GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB
Windows 7 64-bit

I play at 1920 x 1080 with almost all settings on max. Only exception is I have AA off. There is a visual glitch where you get white dots all over the screen (particularly in the trees at night) when AA is on. Game didn't seem to need the AA at this resolution anyway.

My cutscenes play fine. I once was getting a weird bug where the mouse wouldn't move on menu screens unless I held down the SHIFT key. Disabling the Steam overlay for the game fixed that issue. I looked around on Google for a bit and you aren't the only one with this problem. Unfortunately there is no definitive fix other than what you are already doing. One guy did mention that he only exhibited this problem when connecting to his monitor via a bad HDMI cable. Once he changed the connection the problem went away.

Echoplx

Sigh, finished the outskrits and did all the main quests, then went to hand in the barghest skulls to Abigail and she wouldn't let me because i went with the
'I chose the lessor evil'
dialogue option.

EDIT: Do you ever get to go back to the outskirts?

I don't know if this was posted yet, but this game will be $4.99 for a limited time on GOG starting May 10, then the price will go back to $9.99.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/14/the-witcher-coming-to-gog-on-may-10-alone-in-the-dark-trilogy-a/

" Your name is Geralt of Rivia and you are a witcher, that means you kill monsters for a living."

Well, GOG's succinct description of your role in The Witcher should eliminate any of the misconceptions you may have conjured since the game launched on PC in 2007. You're not a guy who collects or makes witches, you're not playing a smart-mouthed Cher impersonator, and you're certainly not an interior decorator who adjusts the general witchy-ness of Rivia's less desirable estates.

If you want to experience The Witcher's line of work beyond that summary, you'll have to check GOG on May 10th when the "Enhanced Edition: Director's Cut" becomes available on the download service. The action RPG will cost $4.99 from then until May 24 ($9.99 afterward) and include a glut of bonus items, such as a soundtrack, wallpapers, avatars, a digital artbook and a calendar of topless fantasy women that will absolutely be open one day when your mom walks into the room. If you're looking to use all of that in preparation for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, you'll be happy to learn that the sequel can import your original save file.

In other monster news -- less slaying of and more running from -- GOG has just added the Alone in the Dark trilogy for $5.99. Those frightening polygonal blobs and creepy camera angles should stir up plenty of nostalgia, enough to last until GOG starts releasing over 25 additional games it claims is already in the process of being optimized and tested for the service.

Echoplx

Sir Garbageman said:
I'm pretty sure after Chapter I you never return to the Outskirts so any unfinished quests will remain that way.

Damn there was still a few monsters I wanted to kill and a few other quests that i needed to do. Oh well, next playthrough.

Just thought I'd post a tweak that boosted my FPS in The Witcher EE by 5-10
(20-30 indoors in certain scenarios) FPS.

Playing this on a G60JX laptop, so my Core i5 and 360M GTS are more than enough to handle this game maxed out.

I play it with FRAPS on, so my avg FPS is around 40-60 from what I've noticed.

Anyways, I found a super old thread online that claims setting thewitcher.exe process priority to "High" instead of "Normal" boosts FPS. Figured it was worth a shot.

Holy shit, was it ever. Saw boosts of 5-10 FPS on average, and in scenes where my FPS would dip down to 30-40 FPS (cutscenes of dialogue with characters), it never drops below 60.

In Windows 7, press CTRL - SHIFT - ESC. While the game is running, go to Processes, right click thewitcher.exe ---> Set Priority ---> High.

Use FRAPS to measure your before and after FPS. The difference is noticeable, but depends on the scene.

AEREC

rogue74 said:
That's actually a little bit more powerful than mine:

Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.1GHz
4GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB
Windows 7 64-bit

I play at 1920 x 1080 with almost all settings on max. Only exception is I have AA off. There is a visual glitch where you get white dots all over the screen (particularly in the trees at night) when AA is on. Game didn't seem to need the AA at this resolution anyway.

My cutscenes play fine. I once was getting a weird bug where the mouse wouldn't move on menu screens unless I held down the SHIFT key. Disabling the Steam overlay for the game fixed that issue. I looked around on Google for a bit and you aren't the only one with this problem. Unfortunately there is no definitive fix other than what you are already doing. One guy did mention that he only exhibited this problem when connecting to his monitor via a bad HDMI cable. Once he changed the connection the problem went away.

odd...I am on a somewhat similar set up:

i7 870 @ 2.93 GHZ
8GB DDR3
Nividia GTX 460 1GB
Windows 7 64-bit

and I dont notice any white dots in trees at night, I have everything maxed as well and AA on. Is it possible there is something about the night scenes where it is overheating your card or anything...or maybe a potion that causes it, I know at high toxicity level red dots appear on the screen which actually freaked me out at first since I thought my GPU was overheating.

Anyways enjoying the hell out of the game in hard mode, Chapter 1 boss was a bitch though.

rogue74

AEREC said:
odd...I am on a somewhat similar set up:

i7 870 @ 2.93 GHZ
8GB DDR3
Nividia GTX 460 1GB
Windows 7 64-bit

and I dont notice any white dots in trees at night, I have everything maxed as well and AA on. Is it possible there is something about the night scenes where it is overheating your card or anything...or maybe a potion that causes it, I know at high toxicity level red dots appear on the screen which actually freaked me out at first since I thought my GPU was overheating.

Anyways enjoying the hell out of the game in hard mode, Chapter 1 boss was a bitch though.

No, it isn't an overheating issue. Look up 'white dots witcher' in google and you will find a thread on the official witcher forums. Not sure why you aren't getting it with the same video card. I have tested my card with Furmark and OCCT and get no artifacts. No other game gives me issues either.

Forkball

So I'm in Chapter 5 now. This chapter seems to be a bit more straightforward than other others, but I am getting near the end so I guess they want to speed things up. A lot of new people and plot points were introduced so far, so I'm excited to see how it all ties together.

Complistic

Forkball said:
So I'm in Chapter 5 now. This chapter seems to be a bit more straightforward than other others, but I am getting near the end so I guess they want to speed things up. A lot of new people and plot points were introduced so far, so I'm excited to see how it all ties together.

The ending will blow your mind.

elseanio

Finished!!! Holy shit, what a game that was.

Something that bothered me though: (End game spoilers)

I didn't seem to get any sort of warning that I was about to enter a quest chain that would be the last. I had a couple things to tie up, the main one being the special Raven armour. ah well. I probably did get warned, but was too engrossed!

Time to count the days for Witcher II. So glad I haven't had to wait as long as most people :p

Been replaying the game in preparation for 2, just hit chapter 3 and I've come to the conclusion that Geralt is basically medieval fantasy Batman.

Hawk269

I am just getting into PC gaming within the last few months. Visually, the new Witcher looks amazing, how does the original one hold up? I am thinking of getting it because I have no idea about anything of this game since I was primarily a console gamer for the last 20+ years.

Hawk269 said:
I am just getting into PC gaming within the last few months. Visually, the new Witcher looks amazing, how does the original one hold up? I am thinking of getting it because I have no idea about anything of this game since I was primarily a console gamer for the last 20+ years.
Download the demo, which is the prologue and the first chapter of the game IIRC and those are the weakest parts of the game so take whatever enjoyment you get from that and you can extrapolate how much you're going to like the full game.

Top Bottom