• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Hawk269

MickeyKnox said:
Download the demo, which is the prologue and the first chapter of the game IIRC and those are the weakest parts of the game so take whatever enjoyment you get from that and you can extrapolate how much you're going to like the full game.

Damn...did not know there was a demo. Noting came up on Steam for a demo. Need to google it now.

Thanks man!

rogue74

Finished Act III last night. They threw a lot of new information plot wise at the end of the Act. I love how the plot starts out very simple and gradually grows pretty complex. Thank god for the excellent journal. This is developing into some sort of fantasy noir.

MickeyKnox said:
Been replaying the game in preparation for 2, just hit chapter 3 and I've come to the conclusion that Geralt is basically medieval fantasy Batman.

Haha, I can see it. Does Batman get laid that much though?

Forkball

Ok I beat it last night. Here are my thoughts:

I really enjoyed this game. I am not an experienced WRPGer, so I found a lot of the ideas new and refreshing. I have to say the absolute best part of the game were the characters and the story, something I really can't say about most titles. All of the characters were interesting and had great, memorable dialogue. The morality system was fantastic, and I loved how it would subtly tie in later. Reading up on possible paths, I'm amazed at things I saw in my game that I didn't think were a big deal turn out to be something completely different in other playthroughs. The setting managed to mix typical medieval fantasy tropes with completely new ideas. The anachronisms in the dialogue gave it a unique flair and also allowed the dark and gritty world of The Witcher to still have humor and wit. I wouldn't think I'd enjoy a setting that consisted mostly of crypts, dingy huts, and barren fields, but it all seemed to really suit the game.

The combat had it's ups and downs. Since you only have one character, I feel like it would be better if it was more of an action RPG (the direction in which The Witcher 2 looks like it's going). Most of the difficulty came from mob management. The timed click system was pretty tiresome at time, but it was fun to string up a big combo. Especially if you stunned them with Aard and Geralt does some brutal finishing attack.

And dear god, please give us a bigger backpack in The Witcher 2. I honestly wasn't a fan of the alchemy system for EVERYTHING. It's fun for stuff that helps you in combat or gives you extra skills, but I really didn't like how I had to craft something so basic as health potions. I should be able to buy that stuff.

Now for the story (major ass spoilers)
I aligned with the Order, gave Alvin to Triss, and let everyone live when possible (Abigail, Berengar, cured Vincent, cured Adda, let that talking ghoul live, let the brothel vampires live, followed Lady of the Lake's advice, etc. though I did kill the King of the Wild Hunt) I was fairly happy with the ending since everything turned out relatively ok, although it was of course bittersweet. I didn't like going against the elves and dwarves since I had friends of that species, but I found it really hard to relate to the Scoitiel since they were basically terrorists. Yeah, the Order was corrupt, but at least they had some good people. I didn't get why they started killing sorceresses at the end, unless that was just backlash from Jacques and Salamandra.

You are a monster hunter, yet a common theme is "what is a monster?" There are many situations where you are pitted against a monster you would normally kill, like the talking ghoul or the vampires yet actually killing it really isn't beneficial. Then you meet people like Jacques and the cannibal, who aren't literally monsters but act without morality. Even Vincent just says he is a monster on the outside while Geralt is one on the inside. I thought it was an interesting take on Geralt's character and profession. This is really highlighted by the totally badass scene where Jacques says "That sword is for monsters." INDEED IT IS.

Symbolism aside, I kinda think the actual plot kinda spun out of control at the end. In the beginning you are against a mysterious organization who steal mutation secrets for some grand plan, but then you find out it's just some crazy guy who thinks a snowpocalypse is coming and needs an army of mutants to protect everyone in the quest. I'm not sure how that quite makes sense. It seemed to be a bit too fantastical for a game that really focused on conflicts between the races and political upheavals. Plus fighting in the bad guy's mind was a total JRPG type of ending.

I do have some questions though. So am I to believe Jacques is Alvin? So when he teleported from Murky Waters, he went fucking BACK IN TIME and grew up to be the Grand Master? That somewhat makes sense since Alvin did idolize the grand master and seemed to hate elves. Though why did he hate elves so much? That was just kinda random. Also I don't get how my advice to him led to these events. I told him that it was impossible to become a witcher, so did that influence him to become a knight? My head asplode.

Also, what was Salamandra's purpose before Jacques? Were they just a criminal organization that robbed and traded drugs before Jacques asked them to make mutants? Or did Jacques specifically create them? I don't get why Azar would follow Jacques, he doesn't seem to be the kind of person to believe in the Eternal Fire's teachings.

Also, is the White Frost the true fate of the world or was it just the crazy beliefs of the Eternal Fire? The Lady of the Lake mentioned "frosty chaos" but I wasn't sure if she was talking about the world or just my specific situation.

Also, who was Triss talking to in that mirror? That was never explained.

Can't wait for The Witcher 2!

Complistic

Forkball said:
Also, who was Triss talking to in that mirror? That was never explained.

Can't wait for The Witcher 2!
She's part of a group called the lodge of sorceresses who have various political goals. Though it's never fully explained, she was likely trying to get in with King Foltest so that the lodge would have some influence with him. You'll notice at the end of the game she becomes his advisor. I doubt it's anything more sinister than that.

Luthos

So I got the Harvall sword early in Chapter 2.

But if I were to look into making a meteorite sword, which is the best and most worthwhile combination?

Slo

Complistic said:
She's part of a group called the lodge of sorceresses who have various political goals. Though it's never fully explained, she was likely trying to get in with King Foltest so that the lodge would have some influence with him. You'll notice at the end of the game she becomes his advisor. I doubt it's anything more sinister than that.

In my game
it said Triss failed to gain any influence over the king.
Any idea why that might be?

It seems like most of us chose
between the order or the elves but really there are 3 sides as neutral has you siding with the sorceresses

And regarding the Order
..I couldn't stand them b/c guys like Seigfred were really just cowards (talking big and hiding during big battles). That and they were in cahoots with Salamandra which you find out at the end of Act 3 which made me sway towards the elves.
Of course there is no right answer in the end which makes the game all the more brilliant.

Gully State said:
between the order or the elves but really there are 3 sides as neutral has you siding with the sorceresses

I went neutral in both my playthroughs. Both the Order and the Elves seemed like assholes to me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gully State said:

I didn't even know this was possible, maybe choosing Shani closed out that option for me

Snuggler said:
I didn't even know this was possible, maybe choosing Shani closed out that option for me

I don't think it has anything to do with Triss v Shani. According to the Witcher Wiki FAQ

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_FAQ#Following_the_Witcher_path.3F

This is probably the most difficult path for any completist RPG player. You have to explore each chapter to then painstakingly avoid helping either the Order or Scoia'tael. Only taking on the quests you can morally support. Or so it would seem...

Insight: As it turns out you can fully play e.g. the Order path (see the Following the Order path? Q&A), taking on some minor pro-Scoia'tael quests, but otherwise supporting Siegfried in the swamps (Force Recon) and at the bank in Gold Rush. But this path can still be turned "neutral", at the end of Chapter IV, if you decide to just grab Alvin and get out of Murky Waters (i.e. not helping the Order against the Scoia'tael). In Chapter V you will then be on the neutral path, e.g. get a different Romance card.

Note: Alas, this does not work if you want to switch to the Scoia'tael path, your support of the Order voids that dialogue option with Dandelion.

So you can play the quests any way you want as a "neutral" witcher, right up to the decision at the end of Chapter IV.

Avoiding the quest Force Recon completely (you take no side), and possibly also ignoring to get involved in the bank robbery in Gold Rush (may not be possible), could keep the witcher "so" neutral, that he can decide what side to take at the end of Chapter IV (saving Alvin) — Order, Scoia'tael, or Neutral path.

Complistic said:
Yeah, and the Bene Gesseritt never had ulterior motives either :p.

Slo

Gully State said:
Probably b/c you sided with the elves? Did you go with Shani as well?

Yeah, I sided with the elves, mostly because Seigfried reminded me too much of do-gooder GAF white knights/virgins. I chose Triss, because let's be real, she can probably do all sorts of magical shit to a cock.

Menelaus

Banned
Finished it up for the first time last night. By Act IV I was finally getting back into being engrossed, and it held me all the way through the awesome ending. I didn't do many sidequests after getting burned out in Act III, but still clocked about 45 hours in my playthrough.

Amazing game. It really puts other "rpgs" like Mass Effect and Fallout to shame. Choices mean something in the Witcher, and once you open your mouth in crucial situations, you can't go back and explore other dialogue. I really, really loved this.

I've got Witcher 2 preordered and have already removed my pants in anticipation.

epmode

Forkball said:
Though why did he hate elves so much? That was just kinda random.
Doesn't that also come from the few things you say to him as a child? It's been a while since I played this and I forgot if the subject comes up before he disappears.

Help me out here guys

I bought this game about a year ago on Steam, eventually got around to installing it last August, played for an hour and then just kind of got sidetracked - it didn't really pull me in. A couple of nights ago I reinstalled it and restarted from the beginning because Witcher 2 looks amazing. I finished the prologue and started Chapter 1 (I'm running around with a ring (fire emblem thing) from the Reverend trying to get the 3 various land owners on my side). I'm having a few problems with the game so far though... basically I'm lacking direction and instruction. I could use some beginners tips.

There's tons of loot that I'm not sure if I should be holding onto or not. Is there any reason to keep bread, chicken, fish, goats milk, etc in my inventory other than to regain vitality/endurance... like to make potions or anything? I assume I can just throw them away or sell them if my inventory gets full. On a similar note, I can't seem to carry enemy weapons unless I have an empty weapon slot on my character - should I just leave them on the floor? Speaking of weapons. What the hell is the point of carrying the non-Witcher weapons if I can't use the combat styles or combos with them? Should I ever be pulling out that huge axe I got or just stick with the steel/silver sword?

Then, with talents, is there anything I should know? Is anything completely useless or is it possible for me to fuck myself over if I don't pump points into certain stats? Is it better to focus or spread out in the talent tree - because there seems to be a lot of em? Like, I got herbalism but I can only pick one plant so far, everything else is unidentified (how do I "discover" a plant so I can pick it?)

I know that's a lot of questions but just a basic summary would be useful. I feel like I'm just running around willy-nilly without much of a goal in mind.

Forkball

Houston3000 said:
There's tons of loot that I'm not sure if I should be holding onto or not. Is there any reason to keep bread, chicken, fish, goats milk, etc in my inventory other than to regain vitality/endurance... like to make potions or anything? I assume I can just throw them away or sell them if my inventory gets full.

Some quests use food. For example, in Chapter 2, you have to give make a donation of food to a statue. Sometimes people might also request some and give you information. But as a whole, it is fairly useless, but I always carried a little bit of food just in case.

On a similar note, I can't seem to carry enemy weapons unless I have an empty weapon slot on my character - should I just leave them on the floor? Speaking of weapons. What the hell is the point of carrying the non-Witcher weapons if I can't use the combat styles or combos with them? Should I ever be pulling out that huge axe I got or just stick with the steel/silver sword?

Honestly I never did. I picked up weapons by how cool they were, kinda like bling for Geralt. This game is not your typical RPG in terms of armor and weapons since upgrades are very limited and often story-based. The torch is useful at times, but it is overshadowed by Cat potion that you learn early in the game.

Then, with talents, is there anything I should know? Is anything completely useless or is it possible for me to fuck myself over if I don't pump points into certain stats? Is it better to focus or spread out in the talent tree - because there seems to be a lot of em? Like, I got herbalism but I can only pick one plant so far, everything else is unidentified (how do I "discover" a plant so I can pick it?)

You discover a plant by reading book, and sometimes people tell you about plants so you can get them that way (this happens a lot in Chapter IV). Herbalism is the big one early on. I'd also get the one in the intelligence branch that tells you about some early monsters, since you can't get monster loot without having researched them. I would also try to focus on group styles since I probably used that style more than any other, and level up Aard a bit since it is useful/necessary to beat the Chapter 1 boss.

I know that's a lot of questions but just a basic summary would be useful. I feel like I'm just running around willy-nilly without much of a goal in mind.[/QUOTE]

Complistic

Houston3000 said:
Help me out here guys

I bought this game about a year ago on Steam, eventually got around to installing it last August, played for an hour and then just kind of got sidetracked - it didn't really pull me in. A couple of nights ago I reinstalled it and restarted from the beginning because Witcher 2 looks amazing. I finished the prologue and started Chapter 1 (I'm running around with a ring (fire emblem thing) from the Reverend trying to get the 3 various land owners on my side). I'm having a few problems with the game so far though... basically I'm lacking direction and instruction. I could use some beginners tips.

There's tons of loot that I'm not sure if I should be holding onto or not. Is there any reason to keep bread, chicken, fish, goats milk, etc in my inventory other than to regain vitality/endurance... like to make potions or anything? I assume I can just throw them away or sell them if my inventory gets full. On a similar note, I can't seem to carry enemy weapons unless I have an empty weapon slot on my character - should I just leave them on the floor? Speaking of weapons. What the hell is the point of carrying the non-Witcher weapons if I can't use the combat styles or combos with them? Should I ever be pulling out that huge axe I got or just stick with the steel/silver sword?

I know that's a lot of questions but just a basic summary would be useful. I feel like I'm just running around willy-nilly without much of a goal in mind.

I did the same thing. I played for an hour my first time, then came back to it and it really sucked me in once i got passed chapter 1. Chapter 1 is a little unfocused and the game doesn't really take off until you get into Vizima. First all those things you have to light are marked on your map. I think there's 5. 4 are in a row, and one is off on the other side of the map. It's pretty easy to miss.

Food is useful at first until you get enough potions to restore vitality and endurance with them. holding ctrl and clicking will auto loot btw, which makes collection of herbs and things much easier. Dropped weapons don't have much of a point, you will find a few swords later off of corpses or given as rewards. Just leave them the crappy dropped swords on the ground. You really only need your two swords until you can build your own meteorite or rune swords. I like to bring a torch with me for dark places if I don't want to use a cat potion.

You can't really go wrong with talents. You can slowly build aard and igni up but I'd focus on your strong and fast steel styles until you get a silver sword obviously. Group is ok, but the other two are vital. Plants are identified either by giving certain villagers gifts of food, or buying buying books. Books are expensive though. It was really odd for me at first but eventually everything starts clicking and it turns into a lot of fun.

Oh. And I recommend some spectre oil or a Blizzard potion for dealing with the final boss of chapter 1. Just a helpful hint. He was the hardest part of the game during my first play.

Salaadin

Houston3000 said:
Help me out here guys

Food is nearly worthless. There might be a few quests where someone needs bread or meat and you can fetch it for them but its so plentiful and easy to get that youll never have to keep some on you just to stock up. Just make a mental note of whatever quests you have and the items these quests call for. If none of them need bread, then sell your bread. Youll get shit orens for it but its something.

As far as healing goes, I always used Potions when in a pinch or just meditated to heal. There is an always active auto regen so if you meditate for an hour, youll get an hours worth of regened health back. A lot of the time, you can just avoid battle and run away from enemies for a few ticks of the regen and then run back into battle to finish them off. Annoying, but it works.

Any and every weapon in the game other than your steel and silver swords are worthless. You might want to carry a torch in the extra slot in case you dont want to use a Cat potion in the dark but its not completely necessary. Axes, daggers, etc should be sold. You can only carry them in the designated weapon slots so you are very limited in how many you can have on you.

For talents, I always dump points into whatever stats I feel are necessary at the time. Intelligence Lv1 is good early on since it opens up the skills for potion brewing and raises Sign intensity. INT lvl 2 will let you open up the skills for herb gathering which is necessary for some quests and Alchemy.

The best Signs are Aard and Igni. You can probably go through the entire game without the others but these 2 are particularly effective. I always max them out before any of the other Signs.

I also try to up one or two of my sword skills with each level since youll need them a lot. I dont follow any sort of order here but I do like to keep them pretty even throughout. They eventually get you stuff like disarm, pain, and bleeding which can make some fights too easy.

Kyaw

Try and focus on group style, aard and igni. Invest some for herbalism but not so much.
Igni is just too good for groups of enemies. Aard is very useful for stunning and one shot kills.

Disregard those weapon drops like axe and maces etc. I never used them since they are useless without Witcher fighting styles. Carry a torch just in case you run out of cat potion.

For quests in chapter 1, they are marked on the map for as far as i can remember. Dont worry too much about the herbs at the moment, you will learn later. You get to collect various herbs by looking through books.

Food is not important but it's nice to have some for side quests and one particular main quest.
You should definitely keep alcohol for use as potion base.

Kyaw

I was never short for money so i didnt really care about selling items for money.
I just collected herbs myself, looted or bought alcohol for cheap to make potions.

Slo

Igni is vital, Aard is sort of important. Honestly all the other magic types went unused. I also found the fast and group styles to be much more important than strong.

As far as how to spend your points, focus on whatever you need most at the moment. By the end you will be literally looking for things to spend your bronze and silver points on, you pretty much max all those skills out eventually whether you want to or not.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, that really helps.

I already started with focusing on Intelligence, Aard, and Steel Swords. I put a couple of points in fast style and dexterity but not enough to consider them wasted I would think. I'll just carry a torch (as soon as I get one) along with whatever the most expensive looking weapon I can find to sell off when I go to the vendor if I can only ever grab one at a time.

Does beer and other alcoholic drinks, aside from "Alcohol", count as a potion base? I haven't really made many potions outside the one for the the first initial tutorial quest yet.

Also, no one in the game ever really explained the medallion. I ran across a little blue floating light yesterday and it said I could switch my medallion to detect them, I clicked on the light and it gave me a 4hr buff. What's up with that? Are those all over the world or do they regenerate? Does my medallion come into play later?

Salaadin

Also, for Aard, you probably want to add points and get Stun and Disarm. Its very handy and sometimes hilarious when you enter and room of several enemies, blast them once, and watch as their weapons go flying from their hands and clang onto the floor. Love it. Stun enables one hit kills.

Ignis Incineration is too useful. A lot of the time, it will burn the enemies entire HP bar.

Kyaw said:
I was never short for money so i didnt really care about selling items for money.
I just collected herbs myself, looted or bought alcohol for cheap to make potions.
I wouldn't say I was a pauper, but I couldn't just buy every single book I encountered, either, which annoyed me. Not to mention the armor upgrade expense which is a pretty significant chunk.

Slo

Houston3000 said:
Does beer and other alcoholic drinks, aside from "Alcohol", count as a potion base? I haven't really made many potions outside the one for the the first initial tutorial quest yet.

There's a drinking contest "minigame." Basically you can slam beers with people until one of you gives up or is out of booze, at which point the person says "I LUUVVE YOU MAN, *hiccup* NO SERIOUSLY" and then he tells you some secret info.

Also, no one in the game ever really explained the medallion. I ran across a little blue floating light yesterday and it said I could switch my medallion to detect them, I clicked on the light and it gave me a 4hr buff. What's up with that? Are those all over the world or do they regenerate? Does my medallion come into play later?

I'm not sure what you mean by switching the medalion. Basically the wolf medallion is a danger detector, it will start to shake when enemies are near. Keep an eye on it.

Binabik15

Slo said:
I'm not sure what you mean by switching the medalion. Basically the wolf medallion is a danger detector, it will start to shake when enemies are near. Keep an eye on it.

The medalion can detect magic OR enemies. Places of Power give you a boost for your sign intesity and I guess the medalion detects them when set to magic. I never bothered with the medalion, though. Alt is enough to check for stuff.

Salaadin

Houston3000 said:

If its a potion base, it will say right in the description. Stronger potions call for more expensive, higher quality alcohol. Youll see the name changes like "Potion base", "High Quality Potion Base", and "Top Quality Potion Base". When you want to make certain potions, it will call for a certain base.

Most of the handy, everyday use potions require simple bases and youll most likely have loads of them on you since theyre found in nearly every house in the game. Bartenders and waitresses carry them as well.

Youll see certain skills on your skill trees that say "requires a mutagen". These are special potions than can only be made with the best potion bases and require certain specific monsters to be killed so you can acquire the ingredients. I usually hang onto the better potion bases just in case. Theyre usually easy as hell to find but Im paranoid.

Also, in case you dont know, you can store a lot of items at the bartender. Storage carries over from bartender to bartender too so you dont have to worry about losing them as the game goes on.

Complistic

I believe you can also create white gull out of lower quality alcohols and then turn around use that white gull in the potions that require a higher quality base. Just in case you find yourself low on those higher quality alcohols.

I need a little help getting the game to run at a good enough framerate. Everytime I play the game the framerate is always below 30 and sometimes it dips into the 10s making the game unplayable, also I get a lot of screen tearing. I'm wondering what are the settings that I should be playing it at or if there are any hacks.
Specs are:
Windows 7 64-bit
Athlon X2 5400 @ 2.80GHz
4GB DDR3
GeForce 9400 GT
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Complistic

Ya lower your res. Not sure why you're getting screen tearing if your frames are so low. I'd recommend forcing vsync on through your control panel to stop it but that makes fps take a hit. TW1 used an ancient bioware engine. They designed their own engine for the sequel.

I played the game on 1920x1080 with my old pc. I turned most of the settings on low if i remember right. I was able to play it with decent fps count except for some issues in some parts of Vizima. My specs were:
GeForce 6800
Athlon 64 X2 2.2GHz
2GB ram

Complistic said:
Ya lower your res. Not sure why you're getting screen tearing if your frames are so low. I'd recommend forcing vsync on through your control panel to stop it but that makes fps take a hit. TW1 used an ancient bioware engine. They designed their own engine for the sequel.
Lowering it to 1280x720 got it to run fine, thanks.

Minsc

Gold Member
QuantumBro said:
I need a little help getting the game to run at a good enough framerate. Everytime I play the game the framerate is always below 30 and sometimes it dips into the 10s making the game unplayable, also I get a lot of screen tearing. I'm wondering what are the settings that I should be playing it at or if there are any hacks.
Specs are:
Windows 7 64-bit
Athlon X2 5400 @ 2.80GHz
4GB DDR3
GeForce 9400 GT
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

D3DOverrider is a must for gaming, it will eliminate the tearing.

Low framerate is a combination of low CPU speed and low GPU power, ideally you'd want 4Ghz athlon CPU and more along the lines of a GTX 260 or higher, which you are falling a bit short of.

Edit: Nice to see 1280x720 helped. You can figure whatever framerate you hit in the beginning when they bring the spider-thing out with the lightning and zoom in close to it will be the worst you get anywhere in the game, if you need a benchmark.

Varna

Slo said:
Igni is vital, Aard is sort of important. Honestly all the other magic types went unused. I also found the fast and group styles to be much more important than strong.

As far as how to spend your points, focus on whatever you need most at the moment. By the end you will be literally looking for things to spend your bronze and silver points on, you pretty much max all those skills out eventually whether you want to or not.

I hope this aspect is improved GREATLY the sequel. Played through the game many times and attempted to try new builds only to end up playing almost the exact same way.

Varna said:
I hope this aspect is improved GREATLY the sequel. Played through the game many times and attempted to try new builds only to end up playing almost the exact same way.
In Witcher 2 every level gives you one point and the level cap is 35. Plus each upgrade can be upgraded twice. So you're forced to specialize a bit more. You can do a little bit of everything if you chose, but there's gonna be a lot of half upgrades along the way if you do.

Luthos

Jay Shadow said:
In Witcher 2 every level gives you one point and the level cap is 35. Plus each upgrade can be upgraded twice. So you're forced to specialize a bit more. You can do a little bit of everything if you chose, but there's gonna be a lot of half upgrades along the way if you do.
Yea, I think it's gonna be hard for me to choose a path to specialize in. I mean it's not a game where you choose a class, like mage/warrior/etc. A witcher does all of those things. Swordsman, alchemy, signs, etc. So I kinda want to do all of them. But I fear that if I try to do a bit of everything, I won't get some of the cool skills/talents that come at the end of trees.

Minsc said:
D3DOverrider is a must for gaming, it will eliminate the tearing.

Low framerate is a combination of low CPU speed and low GPU power, ideally you'd want 4Ghz athlon CPU and more along the lines of a GTX 260 or higher, which you are falling a bit short of.

Edit: Nice to see 1280x720 helped. You can figure whatever framerate you hit in the beginning when they bring the spider-thing out with the lightning and zoom in close to it will be the worst you get anywhere in the game, if you need a benchmark.
I installed the program and it's working fine, thanks.

Luthos

So I'm still in Chapter 2, and I've come to what I think is one of the big choices.
Choosing between the Societal and Order. But I've heard you can remain neutral in this choice or later choices. And I want to do that. Because it doesn't seem like the Witcher would really choose a side in all this. The Order seems to be pretty racist in their treatment of non-humans, but these non-humans seem to resort to harsh actions, like murder and all that. Geralt is just a witcher man. He does his own thing.

So my question to you guys, is it hard to remain neutral? Because I want to try that.

Slo

Luthos said:
So I'm still in Chapter 2, and I've come to what I think is one of the big choices.
Choosing between the Societal and Order. But I've heard you can remain neutral in this choice or later choices. And I want to do that. Because it doesn't seem like the Witcher would really choose a side in all this. The Order seems to be pretty racist in their treatment of non-humans, but these non-humans seem to resort to harsh actions, like murder and all that. Geralt is just a witcher man. He does his own thing.

So my question to you guys, is it hard to remain neutral? Because I want to try that.

You're going to have to intentionally avoid some quests. So if you're a completionist, it's going to be hard. Personally I chose to side with the Scoietel because I was turned off by the boy-scout attitude of the Order, and I was very satisfied with my choice.

Complistic

You ultimately don't decide who's side you're in until the very end of act 4. Whoever you decide to aid during chapters 2 and 3 only switches around a couple vendors who will only sell to you if you're on "their side." Dandelion will tell you when you have the opportunity to make your final decision.

IMO neutral is the way to go. The squirrels are in the right, but the way they go about it is just all wrong. Witchers are traditionally neutral as well.

Slo

Complistic said:
You ultimately don't decide who's side you're in until the very end of act 4. Whoever you decide to aid at that point only switches around a couple vendors who will only sell to you if you're on "their side." Dandelion will tell you when you have the opportunity to make your final decision.

That's not quite true,
I think if you talk to Seigfried outside of the Order's HQ sometime in Cht 2 or 3, he'll ask you to join the order. If you reject him, the Order's armorer won't trade with you etc. At that point you either have to accept or reject the Order, so if you want to remain neutral, just don't talk to him.

Luthos

Complistic said:
IMO neutral is the way to go. The squirrels are in the right, but the way they go about it is just all wrong. Witchers are traditionally neutral as well.
This is what I was thinking.

I'm used to making decisions and choosing sides in RPGs. But that's usually when you create a character or choose your own story/background. But in this game I am a witcher already, and they seem to be neutral by nature, like you said.

Top Bottom