• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

gdt5016 said:
Downloaded the game from GOG (the gog downloader), and installed it. Installed fine, but this comes up when I wanna launch it.

"The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Odd. This is the second time this happened. Last time I uninstalled, deleted everything, and downloaded the whole thing again.

Update your directx installation from the microsoft website.

Normally if you are missing a dll you can just download it seperately , paste it in the program files folder of the game and that solves things too.

gdt

Played for like an hour and a half. Run solid on my system, with some slowdown so far. Everything maxed. 4XAA

Saved just as I got to Vizima.

Took me awhile to figure out combat, was confusing at first, now I just find it okay.

Arozay

Just beat the game now for the first time, just in time to download the sequel.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it in time, 36 hours with most side-quests done. I bought the game back during Steam sales but only played till the start of chapter II till I picked it back up this week.

Went Neutral - Triss since I didn't really like any of the two factions. Got the Raven armour, but missed out on the trophy monsters in chapter 1 (since I did that chapter pretty sloppy on my initial playthrough).
Wasn't expecting a fight during the outro so that was pretty cool. Now I'm reading up on the wiki just to recap on story while Witcher 2 downloads.

Leonsito

So which swords do you guys think are the better ones?

I think the Moon Blade is clearly the best silver one, but I'm not sure about steel.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So yeah, i just saw the naked lady in the swamps of chapter 2.

Dem green tits. Think i heard its the only time we see this in the game right?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This on sale anywhere? I was hoping Steam would have it cheaper for their daily deal. Need to play this one before 2 (plus, my PC won't run 2 at all).

gdt

Okay, getting the hang of combat, doing some quests around Vizima. Don't really like the collectathons though...

RedSwirl

Stuck at a part in Chapter V

When I have to defend the hospital from the Squirrels and the Order, for some reason I can't land a single hit on any of the order guys in any fighting style.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
RedSwirl said:
Stuck at a part in Chapter V

When I have to defend the hospital from the Squirrels and the Order, for some reason I can't land a single hit on any of the order guys in any fighting style.
That seems to happen randomly, seriously, reloaded the same fight once and I couldn't land any hits at all. Anyway, when that happens, you spam Igni.

gdt5016 said:
Okay, getting the hang of combat, doing some quests around Vizima. Don't really like the collectathons though...

Don't treat them like quests, just pick them up and then turn them in when you complete them. The Witcher Contract quests are designed in such a way that as long you buy every book and learn about the monsters you will complete them by the end of the chapter in the course of doing the main quest.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm on chapter 3 and I'm having a difficult time making decisions and taking sides. I'm so used to the Bioware good/evil choice, I actually have to stop and think about the repercussions of choosing one way or the other. I'm mostly worried about how my choices will effect the end game and The Witcher 2 when I eventually get to it. Since I really only have time to play through the game once, I want the best possibly playthrough with the best possible outcomes. I mean the best for what I want, since I understand most choices are lose-lose. I don't think I'll get that playthrough though.

Bisnic

Can someone explain to me how forging works? I have 3 meteorites stone(2 blues, 1 yellow), yet when i talk to a blacksmith, i see no option or slot to upgrade my steel sword.

gdt

jim-jam bongs said:
Don't treat them like quests, just pick them up and then turn them in when you complete them. The Witcher Contract quests are designed in such a way that as long you buy every book and learn about the monsters you will complete them by the end of the chapter in the course of doing the main quest.

Yeah, I kind of noticed that I think. A main quest involed Drownlings, and so did a sidequest, so it worked.

Bisnic said:
Can someone explain to me how forging works? I have 3 meteorites stone(2 blues, 1 yellow), yet when i talk to a blacksmith, i see no option or slot to upgrade my steel sword.

Think of them as currency and it makes sense. If you have 3 meteorite stones or rune stones you will see a matching sword in the blacksmith's item window. In your case he should have a slightly green steel sword which will cost you meteorites and orens.

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, I kind of noticed that I think. A main quest involed Drownlings, and so did a sidequest, so it worked.

That's the ticket, the only time you'll have to worry about them is if you can't afford to buy a book which will teach you to harvest a particular monster. It's really a good idea to pick all of the contracts up or you might end up severely under-leveled and poor.

Does anyone know if this is a bug?

I'm working on the quest "Following the Thread" in Act 3. I'm supposed to:

Go to the sewers to find a Salamandra hideout. There's a particular archway you pass through just down the hall from where this hideout is guarded by two thugs that you're supposed to give a password. For me, that archway is impassable due to clutter that I can't pass over or around. I'm sure it's there to keep you out of that part of the sewers before you're ready for it. But this is my only story quest right now (aside from "Reaping Time", though that opened up for me at the same time this one did).

I even went on youtube to find a video playthrough to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. If you go to timestamp 3:40 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ-GxM9sY7A&playnext=1&list=PL74716BEAC2C78A64

Geralt jumps down and runs under the arch I'm talking about. There's a bunch of crap on the ground there and I can't get through.

EDIT: And here's a screenshot of my situation. You can see the guards at the end of the hall.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/barrenmind/screenshot/559782500829244868

WEGGLES

jim-jam bongs said:
Heh, yeah I almost only ever used Ard, it just suited my playstyle. I always used it on anything which looked flimsy =]
Ard and the fire one for me.

Maybe I should try the others but IDK

The shield one seems useless. Just group stance run away and you'll be fine. Trap one... eh. Why hit them with a trap when you can set them on fire? MAYBE the one that makes them fight for you. For the most part, just ard. Hit a group finish one off. fight until the bar is full again, repeat.

Psi

You only really need Ard and Ignii for signs. Take all of the bronze talents for Ard and its good enough to finish the game with on normal. I maxed out Ignii and it destroyed anything it touched aside from
those fire spirit things.

Psi said:
You only really need Ard and Ignii for signs. Take all of the bronze talents for Ard and its good enough to finish the game with on normal. I maxed out Ignii and it destroyed anything it touched aside from
those fire spirit things.

The green sign (sorry the name eludes me) is amazing when fighting groups or those warrior bugs too.

You pick a strong enemy, hex him and he will distract half of the enemy group for you while you pick em off one by one.

My usual rotation in big groups or a few hard enemies is igni -> hex -> pick off the weakest ones -> aard a stronger one now that no other enemies are hitting you and one shot him then just pick off what's left , re hex if needed.

You rarely ever get hit that way.

The hex is also excellent to hex whatever your current equipped weapon is inneficient against while you take care of the other enemies, and talented it lasts a long long time.

Never used a bomb so far (on medium, I should have picked hard) =( just never saw a point so far, + the bombs I have so far (semi early chapter 4 ) aren't exactly interesting.
Fear bomb and poison bomb zzz.

To repeat an earlier question that I still don't know the answer to : wasn't experimenting with ingredients supposed to be able to teachyou new formulas?

Like I made a devries potion randomly early on , and also got an unknown oil from a boss fight at the end of chapter 3, but using (and thereby identifying) either of them didn't actually add the formulas to my list.
I'd have expected that at least the devries one would have been added, having to write them down manually seems like such a pain in the ass when the game could be doing it for me.

RedSwirl

Game is done. Jesus Christ that took a while. Enjoyed every bit of it but still took a while. I'll say that the final dungeon (the main Salamandra Lab) was probably the prettiest looking too.

How is it that this game's art manages to look a lot less generic than most every other WRPG?

RedSwirl said:
Game is done. Jesus Christ that took a while. Enjoyed every bit of it but still took a while. I'll say that the final dungeon (the main Salamandra Lab) was probably the prettiest looking too.

How is it that this game's art manages to look a lot less generic than most every other WRPG?

I know, right.
I kind of wish tw2 would have been ready in time to beat the release date of da2.
Can you imagine the shameful comparisons and the effect of adjusted standards?
It would have been hilarious.

People already forgot about tw1 when judging other wrpgs it seems.
Such great art and generally great design in this game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SneakyStephan said:
I know, right.
I kind of wish tw2 would have been ready in time to beat the release date of da2.
Can you imagine the shameful comparisons and the effect of adjusted standards?
It would have been hilarious.

People already forgot about tw1 when judging other wrpgs it seems.
Such great art and generally great design in this game.

Even the first-gen Witcher(non EE upgrades) from 2007 blew my mind at the time. Been pushing through this again off Steam(lost my save years ago, but only reached Act 3 anyway back then) while W2 downloads and I am still absolutely floored at how good this game has aged. The weather effects especially are nice, just watching the rolling mist and falling rain during a heavy thunderstorm is gorgeous looking...even if nothing actually gets wet in the environment.

I'm still befuddled at the point of the 'other' weapons(axes/daggers), and buying the glossary books are a real money grind, but god I love this franchise.

I also wish I went with Hard this time around. Normal hasn't given me any problems so far.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kind of funny reading comments in the Witcher 2 thread, where if they played 1. They would have known about how that part works already. Heh.

Anyways, about 3-4 hours into chapter 3. Encountered a pretty awesome quest.
Talking Ghoul!
, and it looks like I finally had to make my decision on the girls. I cheated a bit by creating a save prior, and once I realized that was the choice. I went to fix it to the right girl.
Triss. I just brought the bloody brat to Shani since she seemed like a bigger bitch
. Also, they are making the Order vs Squirrels choice pretty difficult. Sigfried been pretty boss so far. While the Squirrels leader has been a massive prick.

It's still pretty amazing at how much I'm enjoying it, but I'm starting to get more errors now(Specifically when saving... Which is starting to grind my gears). Everything just feels very much alive compared to many other RPGs. I actually read what characters have to say.

Van Buren

shintoki said:
It's still pretty amazing at how much I'm enjoying it, but I'm starting to get more errors now(Specifically when saving... Which is starting to grind my gears). Everything just feels very much alive compared to many other RPGs. I actually read what characters have to say.

Clean out the old saves if you haven't already. I did it after every act, and my game had rock-solid stability and instant load-times throughout.

Grayman

Jay Shadow said:
Yeah, chapter 3 narrows it down then chapter 4 is the final decision. Dandelion will make it very obvious when it's the final choice.
oh awesome! I was in a similar spot last time I played before tonight and today had no idea how far i would need to roll back to be neutral so I just kept playing. That choice and the Triss line really appeared to push me onto a path with minimal effort.

Oh man I just saw where the topic title for the witcher 2 thread comes from (I'm near the end of chapter IV).
What amazing art and what an awesome line.

Spoiler screenshot of art WARNING

http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2011-05-1814-39iuiz.png

Just awesome.

Loving the use of color in chapter IV as well.

This game has some of the best shadows i've seen in any game too.
Soft shadows that properly fade out over distance like in real life, awesome stuff.

Bisnic

jim-jam bongs said:
Think of them as currency and it makes sense. If you have 3 meteorite stones or rune stones you will see a matching sword in the blacksmith's item window. In your case he should have a slightly green steel sword which will cost you meteorites and orens.

Yeah, that's how i upgraded my first steel sword so i thought that maybe there was another way with my new steel sword(picked it up in the swamp, Hallvard or something like that). It was stronger than my meteorite steel sword, so i though "why not?"

Maybe not all steel swords are forgable?

Canti

I brought the enhanced edition years back and have just been trying to install it today. Installation always halts at the same point, installing from data4.cab. I've done a little reading into it (doesn't help the official forums are down) and it seems I have a faulty disc. I have the CD key in the case but no proof of purchase (receipt), am I out of luck? Any way I could obtain the file I'm missing online and replace it on the hard disc?

Blehhhh >:

Bisnic said:
Yeah, that's how i upgraded my first steel sword so i thought that maybe there was another way with my new steel sword(picked it up in the swamp, Hallvard or something like that). It was stronger than my meteorite steel sword, so i though "why not?"

Maybe not all steel swords are forgable?

The blacksmith uses the stones to forge a steel sword from scratch, he doesn't use the sword you have equip, that just gets replaced (and deleted).

Canti said:
I brought the enhanced edition years back and have just been trying to install it today. Installation always halts at the same point, installing from data4.cab. I've done a little reading into it (doesn't help the official forums are down) and it seems I have a faulty disc. I have the CD key in the case but no proof of purchase (receipt), am I out of luck? Any way I could obtain the file I'm missing online and replace it on the hard disc?

Blehhhh >:

Download the cd image from a torrent site, it's the exact same files as on your cd.
Use that to install your game, then proceed as normal entering your cd key n whatnot.
Make sure to update the game to the 1.5 patch, it removes the need to have your cd in the drive to play and fixes tons of bugs.

Aurarian

So I'm playing the game now and want Geralt to follow the neutral path. Is there a guide or such out there for me to stay neutral? I'm getting confused with my google searches on what to do.

Van Buren

Aurarian said:
So I'm playing the game now and want Geralt to follow the neutral path. Is there a guide or such out there for me to stay neutral? I'm getting confused with my google searches on what to do.

Since you are going neutral, Act 4 is when you make that decision. You have choices in the previous acts that make it seem as if Geralt is committing to a faction, but all it does is exclude the other faction.

Petrie

Banned
I'm looking for help, I'm in chapter 2 (near the end I believe) and I have to lure Kalstein (probably getting the name a bit wrong) to the mages tower for the detective, problem is apparently I pissed him off, and he will no longer speak to me. Am I glitched and/or screwed or is there a way out of this loop?

Van Buren

Petrie said:
I'm looking for help, I'm in chapter 2 (near the end I believe) and I have to lure Kalstein (probably getting the name a bit wrong) to the mages tower for the detective, problem is apparently I pissed him off, and he will no longer speak to me. Am I glitched and/or screwed or is there a way out of this loop?

A rule in the Witcher: piss someone off -> meditate for a few hours and then talk to them again.

Van Buren

Hmm. In my game, I chose options that didn't tick Kalkstein off, so I can't tell you the exact step to take to get out of the dead-end.

Actually, there is one thing you could try - have you been to the cemetery yet ? Specifically, have you done quests for the gravedigger ? The quest you are on has many solutions, and the cemetery path should give you an entirely new perspective.

Detox

Deadly Cyclone said:
Oh, nice. Never seen this site (I am not a big PC gamer), you just buy and download? I assume it is trustworthy?
Yes they are trustworthy, you just buy and download like magic. They are actually the developers of The Witcher. :p

Petrie

Banned
Petrie said:

So I resorted to checking guides, and apparently I need to find all 10 of those things for the tower to move on, but one I need is with a golem I can only summon with a lightning rod, yet I can't get said lightning rod without Kalstein suggesting it to me. I'm about ready to give up on this glitch ridden mess! Ugh.

WEGGLES

Chapter 4 spoilers

I just
did the quest where Alina and Celina turned into wraiths
Roughly how much is left of the game? (It took about 27 hours to get to this point)

(asking because I'm eager to get started in TW2)

Van Buren

WEGGLES said:
Chapter 4 spoilers

I just
did the quest where Alina and Celina turned into wraiths
Roughly how much is left of the game? (It took about 27 hours to get to this point)

(asking because I'm eager to get started in TW2)

Wow, that's fast. What level are you ? The game normally takes 60 hours to get all the main quests and important side quests done.

Based on how quickly you're burning through the game, I'd say 6 hours, give or take a couple.

Top Bottom