• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

GhaleonEB

I'm at the end of a long series of puzzles in the quarry. I thought I had the rules figured out and this last one is really a curveball. Or not! I can't tell.
I'm working the string of eight panels along the upper catwalk. I figured out that the three sided white thingy is what I call a "dot eater" - it needs one unique color grouped with it. And to solve all the other panels, I grouped all of one color in with the dot eater, plus one oddball dot. And it ate the oddball.

The last panel is a 3x3 grid, but it has thee colors on it. And that rule doesn't seem to apply. The groups of 3 and the group of two red dots all don't like to be separated. But nor does grouping the dot eater with all of one color and an oddball work.
I feel like either there's a new rule at play, or I never understood the rules in the first place. Could some kind soul gently point out of I'm just not understanding the rules, without giving the solution away?

shem935

Banned
No. Just the only thing that sticks out to me at
maze 3 are the shadows. Been staring at the rocks and hedges for hours and don't notice anything else. Yet.

Sometimes I find it helpful to close my eyes and walk through a puzzle to get a feel for it.

Finally "activated" the first totem, but as far as I can tell it did nothing except add another number in my save filename.

Two questions:

- Where is the code for the fourth video located?
- There seems to be a lot of stuff underground that I can't access yet. Anyone managed to go further than the video room?

You mean the doors behind the
theater
?
It's a disappointment, honestly, just leads out to the cargo container in the town. However you get to the underground, that's not it.

I'm at the end of a long series of puzzles in the quarry. I thought I had the rules figured out and this last one is really a curveball. Or not! I can't tell.
I'm working the string of eight panels along the upper catwalk. I figured out that the three sided white thingy is what I call a "dot eater" - it needs one unique color grouped with it. And to solve all the other panels, I grouped all of one color in with the dot eater, plus one oddball dot. And it ate the oddball.

The last panel is a 3x3 grid, but it has thee colors on it. And that rule doesn't seem to apply. The groups of 3 and the group of two red dots all don't like to be separated. But nor does grouping the dot eater with all of one color and an oddball work.
I feel like either there's a new rule at play, or I never understood the rules in the first place. Could some kind soul gently point out of I'm just not understanding the rules, without giving the solution away?

Your understanding of the upside down Y is wrong. It has but one single, simple rule. Just play around with it more and see how it works...

HiiiLife

The black and white blocks still confuse me and I get really irritated everytime I run into a puzzle with them.

I've done tutorial panels and im still confused on how the actual ones work. The shape that looks kinda like bird foot is wrecking me. And they just introduced more colors to the panel.

Gsnap

That one messed me up for a long time until someone pointed it out to me.

You're almost there but you're thinking about it the wrong way. It's not a
dot eater
, it's a
mistake eater.

Try again with that in mind.

BraXzy

There was one panel I found super early on in a broken brick building, it felt almost chapel like, with plant life overgrown a bit on the walls. It had a basic 3x3 grid but no shapes/distinctive features that I could tell. And no discernable clues nearby, does anyone have an inkling?

Stoze

This game is really starting to lose me. I just found that interior part of the swamp with the single green Tetris panel with the 7 shapes and I have been staring at this thing for literally an hour and a half. This game just isn't doing much for me at this point, I hope I can make it all click soon.

This was the most difficult puzzle I've solved so far. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I'm not sure what it *did*...I'm not sure if it's part of the main swamp puzzle line, if it can be completed without it. Look around for others?

There's kind of a "shortcut" to that puzzle and a couple other ones;

Count the number of squares the Tetris fill - they fill 28 out of the 30 I believe. Was able to do it in a couple tries when I realized I just need to leave 2 squares on the panel not encompassed by the line.
Usually it's not helpful so I almost always forget about possibly solving them that way.

Also yeah I'm not sure what exactly it did, it's not part of the main swamp stuff and you don't need it to activate the laser.

Ansatz

Was fantastic listening to the Giant Bomb guys talk about this in the latest Bombcast, they really are in love with this game.

I am enjoying my time with it so far (155+1 puzzles in)...but I am pretty hopeless at it. It hasn't really clicked for me I guess in the same way it has for them (and many others in here)

The island sure is beautiful though.

How come you only have +1? Once you realize the trick it's easy to spot more of those.

Do you know/remember what caused the +1 to appear in the first place?

Any tips for what I think is the last puzzle in the
sand temple
? It might not actually be the last, but its at least the first one that has a different outline on the panel and is also in the room with
water and can move up and down

Gsnap

The
bird puzzles
are by far the worst puzzles I have encountered so far.

I really enjoyed those ones. I've got a bit of a
musical background
, and I blew through all of them until the very last one, which I could not figure out for some stupid reason.

That tends to happen to me a lot, though.

shem935

Banned
The monastery is screwing with me.
I am to the inner ring of puzzles around the big tree. I know I need to look through the branches at the first puzzle on the pillar but nothing lines up. Driving myself mad right now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The way I see it
the dot eater eats a single "mistake" in its region

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I rage quit that section.

musical background
, and I blew through all of them until the very last one, which I could not figure out for some stupid reason.

I had to get my wife to help but we could not for the life of us figure out the last one (at least I hope it is the last one).

GhaleonEB

Your understanding of the upside down Y is wrong. It has but one single, simple rule. Just play around with it more and see how it works...

That one messed me up for a long time until someone pointed it out to me.

You're almost there but you're thinking about it the wrong way. It's not a
dot eater
, it's a
mistake eater.

Try again with that in mind.
Half an hour into staring at this one last, simple panel and yeah, I'm not getting how that symbol worked. What's frustrating is once I figured out what I thought it meant, I solved panel #6, which had stumped me, and #7 with no issue. And going back through, that same rule works for all eight panels with the
colored dots and the y-symbol in the building.
I think the fact that I settled on the rule, and it worked, has somehow led me astray, because I can't think of another way to interpret it.

I'll keep at it. One more panel! Nine goddamn squares! And they defeat me, a ass grown man. :lol

The way I see it
the dot eater eats a single "mistake" in its region

I've tried grouping every type of
mistake
I can think of in this last panel, for the past few minutes. I don't think I understand what you guys mean by
"mistake".

HiiiLife

I've left so many areas unfinished just because the panels fuck me. I thought the
blue & yellow dual lines would be an easy section but my brain just can't comprehend controlling two lines. It's pissing me off lol.

Gsnap

I had to get my wife to help but we could not for the life of us figure out the last one (at least I hope it is the last one).

That is one thing I don't like about this game. Sometimes I can't tell if it's my fault or the game's. 99% of games make it pretty clear and I know it's my fault. But after I looked up the solution for the last
bird
puzzle The answer did not match
what I was hearing
at all. So was it my fault? Was it
my ears?
Or was the game just doing something stupid and annoying to throw me off?

In my original, one of the L-shapes was flipped. This thread moves fast, I was in a hurry with my drawing. :)

Can I butt in here and ask
how that is the solution? I was stuck on that same puzzle after solving all of the other panels, except on the others in the series, the tetris shape had to be made in the same position as the picture with one of the squares in the shape being the one with the picture (if my terrible explanation makes sense lol). How come this last one has to be flipped around? Not sure what I am missing :(

JTripper

Looking at the puzzles in the middle town, I honestly don't think I'll be able to beat this game without any help. Unless they aren't required, I simply won't. They're fucking unbelievable.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The tutorials are definitely... you get them or you don't. I got most of them after basically forcing my brain to reject all solutions that are clearly impossible.

Not all of them, though. After two hours I'm stuck on what I think has to be the last set of tetris tutorials.

Has to be.

I definitely enjoyed the two hours, though. It was steady progress all the way.
I'm on the last panel of that set and hit a wall. I'm going to bed now. I'm addicted to this game.

Welp, just found a clever puzzle
hidden in the starting area. Not an environmental one, an ACTUAL one.

That's probably the one I was talking about, if it's
the million arrows
. I think I am still missing a sparkle from that section but I haven't been able to figure out how to activate it...

The Technomancer

mistake
I can think of in this last panel, for the past few minutes. I don't think I understand what you guys mean by
"mistake".

It
nullifies a single instance of a mistake in the solution. For example, a single mismatched square among a color

PrinceKee

Just got my first achievement after finishing up the
symmetry
puzzles. I managed to
luck up on a pattern for the puzzles that activate that tv screen with the guy and the candle. I saw the piece of paper in a room, but didn't know what it was for then. So now I have two
. Took a long time it seems to get an achievement so I was discouraged and felt like all the puzzles I was solving were ones that didn't progress the game. So I was happy to get that first one...

Someone needs to compile some of these spoiler free tips into a spoiler free FAQ. I need to learn to walk away from puzzles I'm stuck on and come back, but by nature I hate leaving stuff unfinished so I'll just keep trying and trying and spend half an hour on some of these puzzles until I figure them out. I just started doing the
tree shadow puzzles
and it took me a minute to figure out that one
blocked by the door and you have to open it then run and solve it.
So far I'm enjoying this game and I'm so in a hurry to piece together the story and what's going on though...

Mezoly

The monastery is screwing with me.
I am to the inner ring of puzzles around the big tree. I know I need to look through the branches at the first puzzle on the pillar but nothing lines up. Driving myself mad right now.

Try
to look at the branches from different perspectives from behind or front the pillar. Also the branches should have some sort of circular shape that you should align with the starting circle of the panel.

Stoze

musical background

If I'm thinking of the same one, that's probably the only puzzle in the game where I'm not really sure if I solved it properly. If I did, then it's pretty poorly implemented.

That's probably the one I was talking about, if it's
the million arrows
. I think I am still missing a sparkle from that section but I haven't been able to figure out how to activate it...

Yeah, it's the one.
After solving it, the floor right after the cave entrance changes and I think I need to do something with the flowers.

E: Yup, found it on accident
You have to fail the puzzle

Mezoly

I don't understand the monastery outdoor puzzles at all. I solved the first one but I have no idea how.

open the indoors window panels from the lone small tree puzzle. Hint the lone tree puzzle has different solutions that affect the panels.

GhaleonEB

It
nullifies a single instance of a mistake in the solution. For example, a single mismatched square among a color

I'm definitely not getting it because I feel like that's a rephrasing of how I thought of it.
One missed / isolated dot, away from the rest of its group, included with the y-symbol. That doesn't work on the last panel, but it worked on every other panel.
I'll keep at it, thanks.

The Technomancer

I'm definitely not getting it because I feel like that's a rephrasing of how I thought of it.
One missed / isolated dot, away from the rest of its group, included with the y-symbol. But that doesn't work on the last panel.

It should as long as
the rest of the panel is still valid. Does the rest of your panel have two colors in the same region? If so, its incorrect

Gsnap

Half an hour into staring at this one last, simple panel and yeah, I'm not getting how that symbol worked. What's frustrating is once I figured out what I thought it meant, I solved panel #6, which had stumped me, and #7 with no issue. And going back through, that same rule works for all eight panels with the
colored dots and the y-symbol in the building.
I think the fact that I settled on the rule, and it worked, has somehow led me astray, because I can't think of another way to interpret it.

I'll keep at it. One more panel! Nine goddamn squares! And they defeat me, a ass grown man. :lol

mistake
"mistake".

Yeah, that's one of the game's problems. It's quite easy to solve puzzles based on what you think you know and not what is real. Sometimes the game makes that clear by shutting off failed panels and forcing you to solve older ones again. But sometimes it doesn't do that for some reason. But the good thing is that usually the last panel in a row will through a big enough twist at you that you won't be able to get all the way out of it without learning. But it does make learning harder when you went through the initial stages learning things the wrong way. Then you have to unlearn everything and start over.

Anyway, for what you're working on. If you want more details... That symbol is a
mistake eater, which means you need to purposefully make one mistake, use the lines to contain that mistake with the mistake eater. For the colored panels, think back to the black and white panels I'm sure you've seen before. Think of solving one of those wrong, then apply that logic to the colored panels, making sure to solve it "Wrong" so the mistake eater will fix it.

Aces&Eights

Yeah, that's one of the game's problems. It's quite easy to solve puzzles based on what you think you know and not what is real. Sometimes the game makes that clear by shutting off failed panels and forcing you to solve older ones again. But sometimes it doesn't do that for some reason. But the good thing is that usually the last panel in a row will through a big enough twist at you that you won't be able to get all the way out of it without learning. But it does make learning harder when you went through the initial stages learning things the wrong way. Then you have to unlearn everything and start over.

Anyway, for what you're working on. If you want more details... That symbol is a
mistake eater, which means you need to purposefully make one mistake, use the lines to contain that mistake with the mistake eater. For the colored panels, think back to the black and white panels I'm sure you've seen before. Think of solving one of those wrong, then apply that logic to the colored panels, making sure to solve it "Wrong" so the mistake eater will fix it.

Lord, it just hit my brain when I read your explanation. I've been stuck at the Quarry for 2 hours. This game. Holy crap.

Edit: Anyone know why the
Windmill has one of it's arms busted off at the tip?

Dominator

There's no way this is harder than most of swamp, but I've been stuck here for like 15 min and I feel like such a complete moron.

http://imgur.com/a/Usxtk

Halp.

I know I'm overthinking this so much right now, I just need a push.
Just give me the solution I don't care! Hah

217 panels +8

4 Biomes complete

How I feel right now

ZxjF0ib.gif

This game man.

No jumping, right?

No jumping

Tainted

How come you only have +1? Once you realize the trick it's easy to spot more of those.

Do you know/remember what caused the +1 to appear in the first place?
Im guessing it was when I was at the top of the mountain, activated the panel up there and drew the line following the river ? It then activated the closest totem. I've already activated a 2nd laser, and it stayed on +1 so it wasnt that

WTF
What the hell was the point of the green panels
with shadow tree branches
at the
pink trees
location. I did all of them and all I get are
drawing of hearts and veins
-_-
Also I hate having to backtrack to a previous panel when you get the current panel wrong.

Sai-kun

Banned
The
bird puzzles
are by far the worst puzzles I have encountered so far.

These are killing me, especially (slight area puzzle spoilers)
when the bird calls turn to cellphone/cymbal/horn noises, and i have no fucking idea how i'm supposed to be interpreting them.

Stoze

I'm gonna get back in the game but I'll post this question again in case someone far along sees it;

Should I open up what I assume is the end game right after getting 7 areas done? Will it make a big difference if I wait until after I've done 11?

I'm mainly just worried about stuff like points of no return or missing out on different endings if they exist. No manual saving scares me when it comes to end game. Trying to keep spoiler free as possible.

Aces&Eights

WTF
What the hell was the point of the green panels
with shadow tree branches
at the
pink trees
location. I did all of them and all I get are
drawing of hearts and veins
-_-
Also I hate having to backtrack to a previous panel when you get the current panel wrong.

I saw the same thing. It looked important so I took a picture of it on my phone. You just know that they are going to throw a puzzle at you that has something to do with those drawings. Also, did you see the
missing apple on the railing?
Bastard, lol.

Woodchipper

Fuck yehehea! I'm starting to get the hang of this, I think, lol! Quarry was a lot of fun! I love this game much, despite being frustrating as shit some times (a lot of times!)

Top Bottom