• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

vpance

Any tips for this
Shadow puzzle

CZya_4xUsAESmoK.jpg

The shadows are shifted. Start drawing from the right side start point.

I'm seeing way too negativity being thrown towards the guy so I'll have to voice my dissenting opinion - so far the tetris puzzles have been my favourite type (after doing
symmetry, desert, swamp and most of treehouse
). No stupid gimmicks, just cool, if challenging, puzzles.

Quick question. I'm pretty early, 120 deep, yet to see any big "revelation" type things (that I'm aware of at least). Been stuck on one puzzle for a while. I don't want an answer or even hints, I'm doing the usual "letting it sit" thing right now, but I'm just curious if this is doable where I am or if I'd have to come back. Image.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
So I think I have the ability to beat the game and I'm just wondering, is it a point of no return?
Also how do you check how many + panels you solved?

Oni3298

I'm at 381, +51 and I feel like there's so much still I have to see and figure out.

I've activated all the lasers but I'm pretty sure there's a whole underground area as well as not knowing what the random scattered puzzle pads are for. I've also only found three out of the 6
hexagon drawings for use in the "theater" room.

Anyone know what you have to do in the
soundproof room in the basement of one of the buildings in the village?

Sai-kun

Banned
Quick question. I'm pretty early, 120 deep, yet to see any big "revelation" type things (that I'm aware of at least). Been stuck on one puzzle for a while. I don't want an answer or even hints, I'm doing the usual "letting it sit" thing right now, but I'm just curious if this is doable where I am or if I'd have to come back. Image.

I would come back to that.

edit: I finally got the hang of this Greenhouse thing. FUuuuuuck I love it. So smart.

Very weird predicament. I'm literally stuck
in the quarry section towards the back near where the boat is.

I solved all the initial puzzles on the right side only to have the shifting ramp move to a location I cannot reach. Now I'm stuck upstairs with no way to get down, and a green fence and crane are blocking me.

Halp GAF!

Very weird predicament. I'm literally stuck
in the quarry section towards the back near where the boat is.

I solved all the initial puzzles on the right side only to have the shifting ramp move to a location I cannot reach. Now I'm stuck upstairs with no way to get down, and a green fence and crane are blocking me.

Halp GAF!
r0rG

You can solve the puzzle that moved the ramp again - there are 6 possible 'solutions'.

Tainted

You must have accidentally stumbled upon it then, I have no idea how that can happen. Just keep playing, I don't even want to give the slightest hint because the payoff of your first +1 realization is an immense feeling.

lol no worries, tbh I wasn't really looking for them...but since you posted this I jumped into the game and found 6 more, so you weren't wrong about them being easy to spot when you are looking for them

ymgve

Anyone have any idea how to do this +1 puzzle by the shipwreck?

http://i.imgur.com/0x1J0Du.jpg - I don't see anything that can fill in the gap in the circle, and the symbol at the totem is a two segment line, so the segment at the left is required...somehow.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

BraXzy

Can someone give me a minor clue on the +1 puzzle by the beach
right near the start of the game? It's on the side of a building near the temple looking place with red trees. It's a straight line puzzle, orange, using the orange container in the building itself. I could not for the life of me find an angle that lined the gaps up to the container :/

ymgve

Can someone give me a minor clue on the +1 puzzle by the beach
right near the start of the game? It's on the side of a building near the temple looking place with red trees. It's a straight line puzzle, orange, using the orange container in the building itself. I could not for the life of me find an angle that lined the gaps up to the container :/

You need to be moving when you draw the line

Having a bit of a predicament now after realizing that there's a
hidden line
that uses the
forcefield light mast in the tutorial area. The one that can't be turned back on. The outline for it on the obelisk is still there on a save where it's impossible to get too which makes me wonder if it's needed to complete that obelisk...

So, I'm unsure if I should continue playing my main save and hope that missing that one won't screw any secrets over, or give in and start over with the new save, redoing and refinding everything I already had done.

Interesting fact I found though while flipping between saves though: In saves that are farther along, symbols start appearing in the pause menu that aren't there in a new game. They sure got down the feeling of seeing symbols even when your eyes are closed after devoting enough time to the game :p

Easy_G

I'm trying not to read this thread too much, but I see people reference how many puzzles they've competed. Is there a counter or stat somewhere, or are people manually keeping track?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Holy fuck! I definitely don't understand how these tetris shapes work.

Thanks, looks like you solved it pretty easily/quickly (
I hate you
)

Go visit the Swamp area for tetris tutorials.

I'm trying not to read this thread too much, but I see people reference how many puzzles they've competed. Is there a counter or stat somewhere, or are people manually keeping track?

Pause > Load Game

Whaaaa..
But don't you lock in place, unable to move when you start drawing a line?

Part of the mystery!

I had to upload this... scene I observed at the marsh. I'm probably not the first to notice. Doesn't matter, it's that good. The game artists are geniuses.

http://i.imgur.com/wo2Odp0.jpg

Not a puzzle, but still a big surprise. If you saw it you already know what I mean.

(Ended tonight at 155 puzzles)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just had my first moment of successfully applying a couple of rules I learned at the same time to solve a puzzle, and the door it opened led only to more, seemingly unrelated questions.

This is wild stuff

BraXzy

The camera will turn slightly and help you along if you're on the right path

Hmm okay thanks, I'll have to go back and try again tomorrow.

I can't sleep thinking about this game, but I want to sleep so I can get up and start playing the game more. Life.

Phear

Okay guys, i wanted to get everything by myself, but i simply don't.

Treehouse:
What's up with the Panels with only 1 Star? I thought, we always need to get 2 Stars together?

Gsnap

To get away from puzzles for a minute. I want to talk about the layout of the island. Basically how brilliant it is in the way it is able to be completely open while also feeling closed off to the point where you are seeing new things all the time. I don't know much about architecture, so it's difficult for me to explain what I mean, but I like the way the game feigns being open, while still limiting your paths in order to obscure your line of sight. Like, normally in an open world things are constructed in a flat way and you can see everything. But this game packs so many different environments onto one small island, while simultaneously hiding several areas from view until you get right next to them, and making each area feel far bigger than how it looks.

It certainly feels like the world has been masterfully crafted to only show you what you're supposed to see when you're supposed to see it, not because you shouldn't go there yet, but because you shouldn't see it until you are at just the right angle to make it look cool or beautiful or surprising. High rocks, cliffs, trees, etc. blocking of potential view points. High and low terrain to keep you from knowing your exact height in relation to other places. This serves to make the small space feel much larger than it is, and it makes turning every corner a surprise.
The first time I learned there was a bamboo forest, I was shocked. And then the way that forest connects to a jungle and a shrine. And then exiting the jungle onto the cliff face I had already explored, and getting that "this was here the whole time" feeling. It's amazing.
It's like a brilliantly directed film with the camera always showing only what it should, making each scene as impactful as it could be, which is something we rarely see in any games, especially not open games. Open games are generally quite bad at a lot of things, to the point where being open can be a detriment. Often the open world doesn't feel like it's as well utilized as it could be. But this game as made very good use of its open nature in almost all aspects of its design (sometimes it can mess up the learning process, but not in a significant way).

So kudos to the devs.

I had to upload this... scene I observed at the marsh. I'm probably not the first to notice. Doesn't matter, it's that good. The game artists are geniuses.

http://i.imgur.com/wo2Odp0.jpg

Not a puzzle, but still a big surprise. If you saw it you already know what I mean.

(Ended tonight at 155 puzzles)

Haha. Yeah! I found that while wandering. Ties into a little of what I just said.

Okay guys, i wanted to get everything by myself, but i simply don't.

Treehouse:
What's up with the Panels with only 1 Star? I thought, we always need to get 2 Stars together?

Instead of thinking that 'two stars need to be together', think that 'a star needs to be in a pair'.

ymgve

Hmm okay thanks, I'll have to go back and try again tomorrow.

I can't sleep thinking about this game, but I want to sleep so I can get up and start playing the game more. Life.

Sai-Kun answered the wrong question. Rotating your view isn't the problem, you have to be in motion when solving that line. And yes, drawing a line disables your movement controls. So you need to get your movement from elsewhere.

Greecian-

What the heck is up with the
timed door
in the
treehouse
area?

The door stays open for about 15 seconds but it takes like 20 seconds to run all the way there.
What am I missing?

Mistle

The
elevator
puzzles were tough, but really great to get through! The a-ha moment was strong.

Also, I've seen a few
"eyes" hidden within the art. Once when looking into the projector under the windmill, and also in a shed area (was in the roof window made from a branch. Kind of creepy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Now around 140 panels (and two fully completed areas) in, things are starting to get a bit tougher. I'm having to more and more really go search for more panels I know how to handle (there are still several concepts I have no idea what to do with). I'm also running into panels that look like they should work by some rule I already understand, but are seemingly impossible to solve that way. But I guess things will become clear sooner or later.

Overall, I'm very much enjoying it, but I'm not blown away. Solving an increasingly challenging panel series feels great, but I don't quite feel the "so amazing and special" yet - so far it really has just been a series of clever puzzles set in beautiful environments (with some audio tapes of pretentious philosophical quotes littered about). But I know I have some ways to go, and I'm absolutely going to. Can't wait to get back to it, the "just one more panel" is strong in this one.

I'm at 201 + 2 on the puzzle count and have activated 6 beams.
The quarry section
was by far the hardest, and the trophy indicates only 2.4% players have finished it so far.

I'm dreading the
marsh
folks are mentioning, so it's off to bed. Good luck, GAF.

Question about this puzzle, in the town area, right past the dock where you can use the boat.

screenshot

If I have done most of the swamp "Tetris" puzzles and plenty of puzzles involving the black and white cubes, should I be able to solve this? Or is there anything else I need to know?
If I'm good to go, a hint at which direction I should start drawing the line would be appreciated.

hughesta

Banned
Need a pointer on what is seemingly the last puzzle in the monastery area -
the branches don't seem to meet up at any point, so the start and end are unconnected. Am I missing something, or am I supposed to guess and check?
http://imgur.com/E2IHMtn this one

Gsnap

Need a pointer on what is seemingly the last puzzle in the monastery area -
the branches don't seem to meet up at any point, so the start and end are unconnected. Am I missing something, or am I supposed to guess and check?

You are missing something.... but even when you know what you're missing you might have to resort to guess work like I did... That puzzle was so bad for me.

HAH! Fuck you
boatwreck
puzzle! You thought you could outsmart me with your...your
boatwreck bullshit
! But I was tooooo clever, and realized that dozing off while staring and waiting for the answer to show up would actually work!

Top Bottom