• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Mezoly

There's no way this is harder than most of swamp, but I've been stuck here for like 15 min and I feel like such a complete moron.

http://imgur.com/a/Usxtk

Halp.

I know I'm overthinking this so much right now, I just need a push.
Just give me the solution I don't care! Hah

Have you tried isolating 4 squares from the right bottom. so from the beginning go 1 step right then one up then two right then one up then one right then all the way to the end.

Quick question about what I think is the final puzzle on the first floor of the greenhouse-type thing. I don't need a solution but want to know if I'm using the right logic or if I'm stuck trying to solve a puzzle in an unsolvable way.
Is this last one (the third one in the series of puzzles that change colour behind the glass) supposed to be solved by looking at the colours through the yellow/greenish window? The first one was through the other window, 2nd was through the blue door so presumably this one is through the yellow/green window but I can't seem to solve it that way. I just want to make sure that i'm nit trying to solve it in a way that isn't possible!

IndustryX

Yeah, that's one of the game's problems. It's quite easy to solve puzzles based on what you think you know and not what is real. Sometimes the game makes that clear by shutting off failed panels and forcing you to solve older ones again. But sometimes it doesn't do that for some reason. But the good thing is that usually the last panel in a row will through a big enough twist at you that you won't be able to get all the way out of it without learning. But it does make learning harder when you went through the initial stages learning things the wrong way. Then you have to unlearn everything and start over.

Anyway, for what you're working on. If you want more details... That symbol is a
mistake eater, which means you need to purposefully make one mistake, use the lines to contain that mistake with the mistake eater. For the colored panels, think back to the black and white panels I'm sure you've seen before. Think of solving one of those wrong, then apply that logic to the colored panels, making sure to solve it "Wrong" so the mistake eater will fix it.

Thank you, i was stuck on that same damn puzzle for what seemed like ages your hint helped me big time

GhaleonEB

I'm listening to the Giant Bombcast and listening to them talk about over-thinking or misunderstanding a rule, and not realizing it until the last panel.

Time to wander off and try something different for a bit, and look at it with fresh eyes. (Edit: they just talked about the exact puzzle I am suck on, perfect.)

*wanders to a new area*

Fuck, time to break out the graph paper. :lol

Dominator

Have you tried isolating 4 squares from the right bottom. so from the beginning go 1 step right then one up then two right then one up then one right then all the way to the end.
*facepalm*

I'm so dumb. This game makes me feel like I'm a God and then it rips that feeling right from me.

Thank you!

BraXzy

Non panel lines found in the enviornment

Gotcha gotcha.
When I found those my mind was blown and then they started standing out all over the place.
That really cemented this game as something truly special early on for me.

Why do I have to go to sleep I just want to play more Witness :3

World puzzles.

Also, if you want to keep track of the ones you have or are looking for. There is a weird vibrating monolith in each zone that is inscribed with the secret lines. When you solve a world puzzle, the firework-glitter-stuff flies into the nearest monolith for that area.
Spoiler pertaining to +1 and what they mean

Can I butt in here and ask
how that is the solution? I was stuck on that same puzzle after solving all of the other panels, except on the others in the series, the tetris shape had to be made in the same position as the picture with one of the squares in the shape being the one with the picture (if my terrible explanation makes sense lol). How come this last one has to be flipped around? Not sure what I am missing :(

That has never been a rule. As long as the symbols are contained within the same area the "filled" shape doesn't need to overlap with the block that has that particular symbol. So in that puzzle as long as the I and two Ls are in the same area the position they end up in doesn't need to be anywhere near the original symbol.

Exuro

Realized what the +1 puzzles were earlier today.
That noise it makes when solving them made me jump and get all "OMG"
Cool stuff.

Stoze

Gotcha gotcha.
When I found those my mind was blown and then they started standing out all over the place.
That really cemented this game as something truly special early on for me.

Why do I have to go to sleep I just want to play more Witness :3

Yeah, I got chills when I first discovered them.
The sounds & particle effects when you're getting them are awesome.

Aces&Eights

I'm listening to the Giant Bombcast and listening to them talk about over-thinking or misunderstanding a rule, and not realizing it until the last panel.

Time to wander off and try something different for a bit, and look at it with fresh eyes. (Edit: they just talked about the exact puzzle I am suck on, perfect.)

*wanders to a new area*

Fuck, time to break out the graph paper. :lol

Just take a picture with your phone! I have been doing that and it is way easier that using my drawing skills, lol. One click and you have the exact image to rotate, etc. If it makes you feel any better I've been stuck at the Quarry for over 2 hours.

joms5

Man fuck the tetris blocks. This game really should teach you better how to use multiple ones all bunched up. I can't do shit at the swamp after crossing over.

Same here. I feel like i have tried absolutely everything.
I even went back to the tutorials for them and did those fine but when i get to the red ones on the other side i can solve the first one on the door but that's it.

Clearly there's something i'm missing. Trying to hold out as long as I can before I look for some hints.

Sai-kun

Banned
quarry swamp same thing?

Nah, quarry is the spot with the rocks and
with the big factory-looking building

I'm finally making my way through the Greenhouse...what the fuck?

lmao i feel like i say that at the beginning of every new area.

Need some help with this one:

The first panel inside the room you open after completing the initial 10 panels inside the greenhouse, in the yellow/blue room. It's a 4x4 panel, with grey blocks in the top left/right corners, with dark blue blocks between, second row is 3 light blue and 1 green, and third and fourth rows are a green square and then two purple, and two red blocks.

I understood the concept of the intro panels, of separating the colors, but it seems impossible to effectively separate everything here. Is there another trick that I'm missing?

That has never been a rule. As long as the symbols are contained withing the same area the "filled" shape doesn't need to overlap with the block that has that particular symbol. So in that puzzle as long as the I and two Ls are in the same area the position they end up in doesn't need to be anywhere near the original symbol.

Thank you so much! Must have somehow brute-forced my way through these with my own false rule.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

The first panel inside the room you open after completing the initial 10 panels inside the greenhouse, in the yellow/blue room. It's a 4x4 panel, with grey blocks in the top left/right corners, with dark blue blocks between, second row is 3 light blue and 1 green, and third and fourth rows are a green square and then two purple, and two red blocks.

I understood the concept of the intro panels, of separating the colors, but it seems impossible to effectively separate everything here. Is there another trick that I'm missing?

My only hint would be to not stand so close to the panel, get some distance.

Gsnap

Realized what the +1 puzzles were earlier today.
That noise it makes when solving them made me jump and get all "OMG"
Cool stuff.

Yeah, finding the first one of those was probably the highlight of the game for me so far. It
completely and instantly shifts your perspective of the world in such a satisfying way.

GhaleonEB

Just take a picture with your phone! I have been doing that and it is way easier that using my drawing skills, lol. One click and you have the exact image to rotate, etc. If it makes you feel any better I've been stuck at the Quarry for over 2 hours.

I don't own a smart phone. But I've got graph paper! I used to graph dungeons when I was a kid, I'm actually looking forward to a bit of old school noodling.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nah, quarry is the spot with the rocks and
with the big factory-looking building

I'm finally making my way through the Greenhouse...what the fuck?

lmao i feel like i say that at the beginning of every new area.

examine your environment

Any hints for this panel in the house with the tree in the middle up from the village? (Partial solution shown in the image)

http://i.imgur.com/70pRiuI.jpg

I got the first 3, but this last one is killing me because
it doesn't connect from top to bottom. I changed the perspective and found another set of branches that line up with some gridlines, but not enough to do a full connection.

vpance

The tetris blocks are by far the least fun shit in this game. I just don't wanna do this shit.

The tetris is fucking evil.

I can't believe how much of the swamp I cleared tonight though. I was stuck on some for a good half hour. You either gotta use pen and paper or visualize the combinations in your head.

hughesta

Banned
POSSIBLY MASSIVE SPOILERS, DON'T LOOK IF YOU AREN'T PRETTY MUCH DONE WITH EVERYTHING

http://m.imgur.com/60Gz0AK

Saw some people mentioning turning a cloud white but not knowing what for. I'm sure it's been found by now, but if anyone needed to know, here it is. Probably allows you to solve this, because I couldn't with the cloud grey.

wdit: I can confirm that this works

7 shapes? You mean this one?

http://i.imgur.com/Jicw0fS.jpg (solution, you'll laugh)

Simply go up from the start, and "cut" the top corners. That's it.
Oh my god. I very well could be overthinking some of these, though in general, the Tetris puzzle rules seem pretty iffy. For this one I wasn't actually fitting the line I drew for each piece, onto that particular tile that's why I was stuck. The way I understand these is that, as long as each piece exists and fits within the constraint you drew, it can be anywhere in the constraint. That is to say, the line I draw makes up the constraint, and as long as each piece on the board can fit anywhere within that constraint (like a jigsaw puzzle) it's correct? I remember The red tiles upstairs to this had it set up this way but for this one it looks like each piece actually lays over its own indicated tile. Very confusing.

jett

D-Member
Any hints for this panel in the house with the tree in the middle up from the village? (Partial solution shown in the image)

http://i.imgur.com/70pRiuI.jpg

I got the first 3, but this last one is killing me because
it doesn't connect from top to bottom. I changed the perspective and found another set of branches that line up with some gridlines, but not enough to do a full connection.

This one was evil, but you got the right idea there in your picture. My hint is to look around (strong hint:)
nearby

Ansatz

Im guessing it was when I was at the top of the mountain, activated the panel up there and drew the line following the river ? It then activated the closest totem. I've already activated a 2nd laser, and it stayed on +1 so it wasnt that

You must have accidentally stumbled upon it then, I have no idea how that can happen. Just keep playing, I don't even want to give the slightest hint because the payoff of your first +1 realization is an immense feeling.

JTripper

Fucking unbelievable lol. I drew 3 graphs trying to fit them all together and I even went and just blindly cut off
2 boxes at any end to see if I would get lucky since I figured that if in fact all of them fit together, 2 boxes wouldn't be included
. I can't believe this.

This was the most difficult puzzle I've solved so far. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I'm not sure what it *did*...I'm not sure if it's part of the main swamp puzzle line, if it can be completed without it. Look around for others?

I'm pretty sure it
activated another pump. Drained a red room, where I'm now stuck on another set of absolutely brutal tutorials.

In the meantime, I took another hour and beat the
desert ruin
. Feels like a freebie.
Fixed the laser
afterwards, too.

Now have
shady trees
bunker
keep
, and
desert ruin
done. Can't get anywhere in the
temple
. Moved on to the
quarry

Fucking unbelievable lol. I drew 3 graphs trying to fit them all together and I even went and just blindly cut off
2 boxes at any end to see if I would get lucky since I figured that if in fact all of them fit together, 2 boxes wouldn't be included
. I can't believe this.

I had to cut out pieces of paper and shuffle them around in order to solve that one.

Weevilone

Fuck me.. I solved something like 72 puzzles last night.

Tonight, I dunno, 4-6 maybe.. I just couldn't find the basic versions that teach the stuff I need. Then I came across a puzzle and spent waaaay too much time stumbling for the answer before finally going looking for a hint.

All I'll say, I won't be playing in my normal way...
with sound off so I don't bother my family.
It just never occurred to me that might be a thing.

I was so proud and happily surprised when I found
the boat
(
it works as a "fast-travel" and shows you a map of the game
) in the quarry area (not the factory but the little shed thing).

P.S: yeah, fuck those tetris shapes!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
CciWCSj.gif

from Jared Rea

the boat
(

I first found it at the Swamp.

This one was evil, but you got the right idea there in your picture. My hint is to look around (strong hint:)
nearby

I see
a staircase shaped branch on the ground. I tried imagining that it had fallen off the tree and drew it in, but that's not it.
Am I close?

Edit: WHOAAA. Got it. Damn that was crazy

vpance

As soon as I saw that there were 7 goddamn shapes I knew it would be better to think backwards.
30 squares and 28 need to be filled, or rather 2 boxes are empty. Hmm, I'll just trial and error all the combinations and save a fuck load of time.

Ansatz

Also, if you want to keep track of the ones you have or are looking for. There is a weird vibrating monolith in each zone that is inscribed with the secret lines. When you solve a world puzzle, the firework-glitter-stuff flies into the nearest monolith for that area.
Spoiler pertaining to +1 and what they mean

Also a cool and useful realization about the
monolith
itself;

The monolith is divided into sections and each side points to the general direction of a world puzzle and the shapes the lines will have

At least I think that's the case, I only tried it once but it worked as expected. This makes it much easier to find them.

Dominator

These
bird calls
are ridiculous.

I'm at one with a longer ending pitch and three regular ones before it. It's like 6-7th puzzle in this area.

The sounds are making me go mad.

Gsnap

Fuck me.. I solved something like 72 puzzles last night.

Tonight, I dunno, 4-6 maybe.. I just couldn't find the basic versions that teach the stuff I need. Then I came across a puzzle and spent waaaay too much time stumbling for the answer before finally going looking for a hint.

All I'll say, I won't be playing in my normal way...
with sound off so I don't bother my family.
It just never occurred to me that might be a thing.

haha. Yes, this game demands your full attention.

JTripper

Reach 290 +12 today. Stopping for tonight because I actually got a brief headache and actually felt slightly nauseous when trying to locate any puzzle I wasn't either stuck at or wasn't too difficult. Anyone else feel literally sick during games at certain moments?

This actually happens to me sometimes when playing games where I spent too much time trying to figure something out and just can't.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
the boat
(

P.S: yeah, fuck those tetris shapes!

But wait, there's MORE

Top Bottom