• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

So this last
tree
puzzle in the
monastery
. I understand the concept
Lining up the branches so it shows you a pathway
, but it doesnt seem to give me the full way. Any advice?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was able to bypass a puzzle in the treetop by walking over a gap.

I am officially smarter than jon blow.

hesido

Guys, how about an uncensored The Witness Official Help Line thread?

And maybe keep this as a general discussion about the game? I think it would be nicer!

Have to say that I'm really impressed. My 7 year old daughter was watching me play and asked what it was etc how did it work so I explained it to her. She then asked could she have a go so we started a new game under her PSN. Other than a bit of pointing out where to go and a few hints
like the disappearing yellow line and looking from another perspective she managed to clear the symmetry
area in about an hour. So impressed with her ability to pick up the rules of it.

hughesta

Banned
You are missing something.... but even when you know what you're missing you might have to resort to guess work like I did... That puzzle was so bad for me.
Help, I just wanted to clear this and be done for the night and this is baffling me :c

Reposting since it might have gotten missed on the last page:

Question about this puzzle, in the town area, right past the dock where you can use the boat.

screenshot

If I have done most of the swamp "Tetris" puzzles and plenty of puzzles involving the black and white cubes, should I be able to solve this? Or is there anything else I need to know?
If I'm good to go, a hint at which direction I should start drawing the line would be appreciated.

Anyone?

Question about this puzzle, in the town area, right past the dock where you can use the boat.

screenshot

If I have done most of the swamp "Tetris" puzzles and plenty of puzzles involving the black and white cubes, should I be able to solve this? Or is there anything else I need to know?
If I'm good to go, a hint at which direction I should start drawing the line would be appreciated.

Thanks for reminding me about that one.

I just went and solved it, with basically the same knowledge as you. Yes, you know everything you need.

Start
right

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So is this looking like a hit cult classic akin to Undertale or nah

well it's kinda by definition not a cult classic since it's one of the highest budget indie titles of all time and was supported by extensive pre-release advertising by a major platform owner. if you mean "do people like it", it has a 90 metacritic and with the exception of some people complaining of motion sickness and colourblindness issues, user reviews seem pretty comparable to critical reviews.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reposting

If anyone feels kind enough to help with this, it'd be hugely appreciated. From the town:

http://i.imgur.com/mkc1wil.jpg

confused by the single block which isn't near an edge so how to isolate it? Haven't done the three pointed star tutorial yet so that might be one reason. But I want to nail this as I hope it's the last panel stopping me getting up the tower in town.

I'm off the to the swamps later to get my brain crushed by tetronimoes,and have a look at the castle.

Sai-kun

Banned
Every time I start understanding tetris...I forget it all instantly
KuGsj.gif
My brain is just like...incapable of thinking with that rule set still.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks for reminding me about that one.

I just went and solved it, with basically the same knowledge as you. Yes, you know everything you need.

Start
right

Solving that puzzle also has secondary benefits if you consider
the colour of the door it opened.

IndustryX

Very weird predicament. I'm literally stuck
in the quarry section towards the back near where the boat is.

I solved all the initial puzzles on the right side only to have the shifting ramp move to a location I cannot reach. Now I'm stuck upstairs with no way to get down, and a green fence and crane are blocking me.

Halp GAF!

Can i ask how you got up there in the first place? lol

well it's kinda by definition not a cult classic since it's one of the highest budget indie titles of all time and was supported by extensive pre-release advertising by a major platform owner. if you mean "do people like it", it has a 90 metacritic and with the exception of some people complaining of motion sickness and colourblindness issues, user reviews seem pretty comparable to critical reviews.

In a nutshell, this is what I mean lol. But I didn't know it being relatively high budget or having a lot of marketing had any real bearing on that term. I thought it just meant it's something that has a distinguishably passionate fan base without necessarily being a huge mainstream success.

You rock, thank you.

Edit - oh my god I cannot figure this out. Makes me think I don't understand some of the rules.

I'm assuming this is all I need to know:

the black cube must be separated from the white cubes and the two possibilities for the tetris shapes are two next to each other (covering a whole row) or one stacked on top of the other

IndustryX

tips for this one?

CZytHIhUMAAxDJn.jpg

I tried
maneuvering around the broken wood behind the puzzle but that doesn't seem to work. I'm completely stumped
, any hints?

Absinthe

To get away from puzzles for a minute. I want to talk about the layout of the island. Basically how brilliant it is in the way it is able to be completely open while also feeling closed off to the point where you are seeing new things all the time. I don't know much about architecture, so it's difficult for me to explain what I mean, but I like the way the game feigns being open, while still limiting your paths in order to obscure your line of sight. Like, normally in an open world things are constructed in a flat way and you can see everything. But this game packs so many different environments onto one small island, while simultaneously hiding several areas from view until you get right next to them, and making each area feel far bigger than how it looks.

It certainly feels like the world has been masterfully crafted to only show you what you're supposed to see when you're supposed to see it, not because you shouldn't go there yet, but because you shouldn't see it until you are at just the right angle to make it look cool or beautiful or surprising. High rocks, cliffs, trees, etc. blocking of potential view points. High and low terrain to keep you from knowing your exact height in relation to other places. This serves to make the small space feel much larger than it is, and it makes turning every corner a surprise.
The first time I learned there was a bamboo forest, I was shocked. And then the way that forest connects to a jungle and a shrine. And then exiting the jungle onto the cliff face I had already explored, and getting that "this was here the whole time" feeling. It's amazing.
It's like a brilliantly directed film with the camera always showing only what it should, making each scene as impactful as it could be, which is something we rarely see in any games, especially not open games. Open games are generally quite bad at a lot of things, to the point where being open can be a detriment. Often the open world doesn't feel like it's as well utilized as it could be. But this game as made very good use of its open nature in almost all aspects of its design (sometimes it can mess up the learning process, but not in a significant way).

So kudos to the devs.

I just finished that section with the exact same reaction, thinking to myself "I can't believe this was here the whole time and I didn't even notice!"

Reposting

If anyone feels kind enough to help with this, it'd be hugely appreciated. From the town:

http://i.imgur.com/mkc1wil.jpg

confused by the single block which isn't near an edge so how to isolate it? Haven't done the three pointed star tutorial yet so that might be one reason. But I want to nail this as I hope it's the last panel stopping me getting up the tower in town.

I'm off the to the swamps later to get my brain crushed by tetronimoes,and have a look at the castle.

You should
really do the three pointed star tutorial first, but if you want
The three pointed star fixes a mistake. Just worry about getting the star in the same section as the yellow dot and then collecting every dot that the star should get the job done

tips for this one?

CZytHIhUMAAxDJn.jpg

I tried
maneuvering around the broken wood behind the puzzle but that doesn't seem to work. I'm completely stumped
, any hints?

You have to open the door first.

Alright, got 441 panels,
+80 and 5 of the 6 hexagon movies. Only one missing in the desert area before completing my first obelisk!

IndustryX

You should
really do the three pointed star tutorial first, but if you want
The three pointed star fixes a mistake. Just worry about getting the star in the same section as the yellow dot and then collecting every dot that the star should get the job done

You have to open the door first.

thank you

Interesting. In the
castle
on the last puzzle where you have to
walk on the floor to turn on the tiles
. I have it right and the door did not open.

There are 2 tetris shapes, both of which are tilted, I turned one and not the other, but they both fit.
Am I missing something else?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tips for this one?

CZytHIhUMAAxDJn.jpg

I tried
, any hints?

You can't do it yet with the information around you - those puzzles use
the environment as a guide.
. You need to first
open the church door. And even then it's a bit of a git.

Also, to do that, you'll need to
open the door to the house next to it

It's probably been covered a lot and I apologise but I'm avoiding reading much of the thread from concern of spoilers. Can somebody please answer the following with a yes or a no?

Am I really not able to get back without solving more puzzles behind me?

CZyxX7xUEAAQbld.jpg

Dominator

It's probably been covered a lot and I apologise but I'm avoiding reading much of the thread from concern of spoilers. Can somebody please answer the following with a yes or a no?

Am I really not able to get back without solving more puzzles behind me?

CZyxX7xUEAAQbld.jpg
You know the solution on how you got to that side? Do the reverse.

Oh man I spoke too soon earlier... This one has me COMPLETELY stumped:

21EMLyr.jpg

How in the world do you box off the center square or combine it with the other pieces?

Please just the smallest of hints.

Top Bottom