• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

I see the outline but it looks like two diamond touching. It's impossible to draw that and not cross your line. I'm baffled.

Oh wait, are you on the [Puzzle description]
sawtooth looking zig-zaggy puzzle
? If so, I'm stuck on the same one.
I could only see a tiny portion of the solution.

I would, but I haven't figured out how to get the walkway close enough to mess with that one. My brain is fried.
I got to the end of it but the puzzles in that area are killing me. It's like
congratulations on beating all these hard puzzles ... your reward is even harder puzzles
Going to rest at 365 + 9.

shiba5

I got to the end of it but the puzzles in that area are killing me. It's like
congratulations on beating all these hard puzzles ... your reward is even harder puzzles
Going to rest at 365 + 9.

I'm seriously missing something simple on this walkway.

Do the blue puzzles in the rear left room have something to do with it? I haven't done those yet.

Ugh. Just got it.

I have 7 lasers going at the moment,
I'm wondering if I should end it and then go for the rest later...

For anyone who's beat it, what do you think?

If you know how to do all symbols then sure, you need to have mastered every symbol before going for the finish, the shit is gonna get real.

dan2026

Fuck me I have been stuck on this one colour puzzle for about 2 hours now.

Tried every conceivable way. Seems to have no solution fuck.

God, the (minor spoiler if you're still early)
audio logs
are bad. Really bad.

I found one that's a "quote" from an astronaut that is both incredibly precious and trite and also, no joke, ten minutes or so long. It's also read in this gushing voice that makes it even more insufferable. Huge miss with these, IMO. The game speaks for itself far better than any of these.

That "Black star blob" is a whole different thing. I honestly don't know what it means yet, and i have finished almost 250 puzzles. Just couldn't find anything that hints about what it's supposed to be.

The tutorial section for those is in the Treehouse area. Reachable only by
boat.

audio logs
are bad. Really bad.

I found one that's a "quote" from an astronaut that is both incredibly precious and trite and also, no joke, ten minutes or so long. It's also read in this gushing voice that makes it even more insufferable. Huge miss with these, IMO. The game speaks for itself far better than any of these.

I still have no idea what the game is going for with its "story".

End-game spoilers:
Finished with the
challenge, got the last hexagon, and also a manner in how to turn the gate at the start back on! :D

Is it the best part of the game?

Aurongel

audio logs
are bad. Really bad.

They're just so horribly indulgent and pretentious in a game that otherwise does subtlety extremely well. I think I audibly mumbled "oh god just shut up" during the astronaut one on the mountain. It's like a bad Discovery channel special.

Cth

hint 1
The black star needs a buddy of the same color
hint 2
The buddy does not need to be another star
hint 3
And only one buddy.

Gotta love the unintentional(?) throw back to Invisiclues, especially given that the name of the game is shared by an old Infocom game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
When you finally understand the Tetris Puzzles... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw yeah

Mindlog

I have 7 lasers going at the moment,
I'm wondering if I should end it and then go for the rest later...

For anyone who's beat it, what do you think?
I just accidentally stumbled across that zone @382+28.
Whole place is lit up like a Homeworld fleet battle.

Ion Cannon Frigate Ready
When you finally understand the Tetris Puzzles... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw yeah
Don't worry. That feeling won't last lol.
audio logs
are bad. Really bad.

Pretty sure that's the last one I found. Brevity and wit and whatot.
Some of the short ones remind me of SMAC :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What the hell with the
ship
?

takes ages to walk there, then there is one puzzle that seems to randomly block my route. Plus it's an audio puzzle but with what looks like three different sounds to sequence?

Does it do anything important? If not I might just leave it

And in the castle -
billie Jean light up mazes. How do you do the third one? There is one location blocked by debris but I can't see where else I can out the Tetris blocks, they're not tall enough to join up so the horizontal line can't move. I tried lighting the block under the obstruction but it wasn't accepting it.

Edit: got it. Had to
make a legit circuit as though it was drawn with a continuous line, using the wooden squares to shortcut around to light up both sides of the obstruction

Ok. Please don't leave the Internet. I've been on this for an hour and I'm gonna give it another go. If I have an brain anynerism I will need help.

I'll be here. Glued to the thread and chained to my desk for another hour and a half. I just want to go home and do some more witnessing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there any particular reason why I have one save file at
panels solved, and then another one that just keeps going? I haven't started a new game. Seems odd. Don't tell me if it's somehow a spoiler.

Phionoxx

The puzzles in the tropical forest are giving me trouble.
Made quick work all the way through to the panel beyond the one with the loon call. Now I don't know which of the sounds I should be trying to isolate and replicate for the next panel. Sounds like maybe a flute or clarinet? Hard to say for sure. Don't think it could be the birds.

Is there any particular reason why I have one save file at
panels solved, and then another one that just keeps going? I haven't started a new game. Seems odd. Don't tell me if it's somehow a spoiler.

A new save file is automatically made every hundred or so puzzles. It's just for convenience, I think.

+13
panels finished. Pretty good for the first session. Got the S
ymmetry
and D
esert
R
uin
trophies. Didn't enjoy the area associated with the second of those very much. Especially, the start sucked. Figured out what to do by pure luck (when I did, that was a cool moment though). Then it was just endless frustration trying to find the right
angles that let you see the solutions.
Not challenging, just frustrating. It got better once you got inside and they started playing around with
reflections
though. That's when it changed from pixel hunt into actual puzzles so that was appreciated.

It's pretty cool when you manage to find one of the hidden
panels hidden in plain sight in the environment
. You feel pretty smart when you do. But I'd imagine that trying to go for all of them would be an exercise in frustration, if you don't cheat with a guide (but then what's the point). Feel like I missed one or two close to the
Desert Ruin
. I enjoyed the ones at the w
indmill

Also, there seem to be some series of panels, which are not tutorials, but still don't seem to lead anywhere. For example, the series of
tree
puzzles near the start and the series of puzzles in the Symmetry area where you had to draw around
objects in the environment
to solve the panels. Am I missing something?

Ok I think I found a secret- I'm sure someone else has found it but
The WIndmill blades are actually a puzzle
I have no idea how the hell to solve it. I get a few lined up and press X then
A Big explosion happens and particles float into the sky
Does that mean it's solved or what is the significance of that if any?

Ok I think I found a secret- I'm sure someone else has found it but
The WIndmill blades are actually a puzzle
I have no idea how the hell to solve it. I get a few lined up and press X then
A Big explosion happens and particles float into the sky
Does that mean it's solved or what is the significance of that if any?

Yeah there seem to be a lot of
hidden puzzles
like that. I talk about it in the second paragraph in the post above. The three for the
windmill
were very cool indeed. Look around for a
black stone
nearby. That's
where the explosion
goes. I think these stones are the game's way of allowing you to track which
hidden puzzles
you've solved.

dan2026

Can someone advise me on the colour puzzles in the greenhouse.

Do I need to somehow access the other side of the room and look through the red tinted windows?
Or am I thinking too much into it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
End-game spoilers:
Finished with the
challenge, got the last hexagon, and also a manner in how to turn the gate at the start back on! :D

Indeed - sounds like you've almost done it all.

Time to track down the rest of the obelisk puzzles - there's at least 100 total.

And, the thing that's intriguing me at the moment are the hints in the final cutscene. There's puzzles on the walls that are solved in different ways than they are in game, and a few other more obvious "clues." Super curious about whether they're actually going to point to one final layer of the onion.

hydruxo

audio logs
are bad. Really bad.

Completely agree. I found them to be really pretentious. I think it was a good idea, just bad execution.

thefil

Stuck in what I'll call the greenhouse. I've solved everything up to the elevator. I suspect I want to
deduce what "real" colour each square is by solving colour + room light for each of the lower floors
. Then, I add
yellow light to those "real" colours to skip a floor, since the next floor up would be yellow going by the wires.
Unfortunately, the rules for
colour addition
don't seem consistent! On a single rack in the first room, looking at
two sets of blue peppers through the yellow glass, I get two colours - black and red
. What gives? Am I totally on the wrong track? Am I overthinking it?

*edit* There's also
light blue and dark blue
, unless I'm insane... should I be treating
dark blue == purple
and
magenta
differently?

LeBart

Spoiler concerning the hexagon "puzzles" :

After I saw the first video, I immediately thought "one of them is gonna be that clip of Richard Feynman about not knowing things, isn't?" Sure enough...
I suppose these are the "very long a preachy" story sequences mentioned in some reviews?
I think it's really sad that anything intelligent being put in a game is so often dismissed as preachy or pretentious. I for one fucking love it.
The Witness is actually a game about something.

Top Bottom