• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sorry I stirred up trouble never my intent, enjoy the "game" guys night.
This is incredibly condescending dude wtf. You've done absolutely nothing but display how utterly misinformed about the guy you're talking shit about.

Ibuki

Banned
This game looks really good... I want to wait and get the PC version. I'm having a suspicious feeling that I will impulse buy the PS4 version if it goes up tonight though...

SirShandy

There is nothing new or unique about this. Portal did it. The Talos Principle did it. Many other puzzle games have that aspect of rule sets building upon each other. In fact, tons of non-puzzle games have this element too. That idea in itself is not compelling enough to me to make a good game.

There are too many games out there now that seem to be attempting to say something that is completely disconnected from the gameplay itself. I was really hoping that The Witness would deliver on the promise that something like The Talos Principle tried to. But in the end this looks like another game that exists as a framework to tell an unrelated story.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

The problem right now is that your major concerns about the game and the details you want clearly explained are directly tied to the central aspect of The Witness that makes it interesting - the element of discovery.

I can't delineate how the story works or the breadth of it's mechanics - I want to discover those things myself. My anticipation for this title was based off of Jonathan Blow's previous work and his solid game design philosophy. And it's then a relief to see the reviews confirm that at the very least - you're getting a very well designed explorative puzzle game.

With many details purposely held close to the chest, you can either trust the secretive opinions of those who've played the game, or you can choose to generalize the whole of the title based off the devisedly meager details so far shown. Or you can slightly spoil yourself to a point of confidence that your money will be well spent.

StoveOven

Banned
The problem right now is that your major concerns about the game and the details you want clearly explained are directly tied to the central aspect of The Witness that makes it interesting - the element of discovery.

I can't delineate how the story works or the breadth of it's mechanics - I want to discover those things myself. My anticipation for this title was based off of Jonathan Blow's previous work and his solid game design philosophy. And it's then a relief to see the reviews confirm that at the very least - you're getting a very well designed explorative puzzle game.

With many details purposely held close to the chest, you can either trust the secretive opinions of those who've played the game, or you can choose to generalize the whole of the title based off the devisedly meager details so far shown. Or you can slightly spoil yourself to a point of confidence that your money will be well spent.

jrh2
Banned

You don't have to bother arguing anymore. You're not going to get a response back

Okay fuck it im getting this game
See y'all on the other side

I'll probably be back very quickly as soon as i get frustrated

Like one of the comments say, this is selling me more on the game despite the intent, haha. I definitely feel it's not going to a be a game for everyone (after all, there are people who don't enjoy puzzles stat, I had a friend that hated Portal), but it's also part of the appeal, I think. The back and forth against the creator/game, the fact that you're getting more and more questions when you're already up to your neck on them, this is exactly what I need

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How much is actually spoiled about the game during the Giant Bomb Quicklook? Do they
go beyond the courtyard or reveal anything significant?

Fat4all

Banned
How much is actually spoiled about the game during the Giant Bomb Quicklook? Do they

Personally, I haven't watched all of it. I bailed quickly after I heard they uncovered something kinda big spoilers-wise without realizing it.

Nothing HUGE, but they do show off some gameplay mechanics that we didn't know about. Nothing that's hidden mind you, but stuff that you may want to discover on your own rather than have it told to you.

Directly spoiled? Not much.

Indirect Spoilers through Brads talking of the game in conjunction with video footage? That happens. If you watch it, watch the first 5 minutes, then leave it as background audio.

I watched the first 15-20 minutes (I stopped once Brad took control to show off more of the Island because I didn't want more of it shown).

They show off the initial tutorial area and a few seemingly tutorial style puzzles that show off 2 or so different "types" of puzzles (spoilered in case anyone is worried about it:
draw lines to seperate black and white blocks, and puzzles where you need to draw over all the spots for it to activate
) you'll be solving in the game. They had Jeff play who hadn't played the game before, so it really was just the first 15 minutes or so.

Zolbrod

And as always, release on the JP PSN Store: Unknown, not announced.

I swear the Japanese PSN store and it's library is the worst and stinkiest piece of steamy shit I have ever seen.

What frustrates me even more is that there has been absolutely ZERO mention of PS2 Classics on PS4 in Japan for some reason. Like, the existence isn't even acknowledged over here.

Anyway, on-topic: Really looking forward to playing this, but I think I'm gonna hold out for a physical version...

I did notice when doing a manual search earlier for the Witness on PSN it brought me to just a placeholder info page.
Now when I try I don't see it in the search results.

Lucent

It's funny how I did a full 180 on this game after watching the reviews and the quick look.

I was like "so..you wander around and solve mazes? Umm....wtf?" But now I'm really intrigued by the way the puzzles have their own rules and can evolve as you progress.

Also, this seems like a great game to break up all the usual games I play. Like instead of killing a bunch of stuff in Witcher 3 or the Souls games and having to watch your back, you can chill and solve puzzles while exploring the different biomes of the island.

I don't know if I'll wait for a physical release or buy it tomorrow. Hm...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
fingers crossed for a download from US PSN in... 7 mins?

Those trolls were ridiculous. Thank you mods for removing them. Anyway, I want to stay up one more hour to start the download but I think it'll be better if I just crash now and get up early. Gonna try to get at least two hours in before work.

See you guys on the other side!

Top Bottom