• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

StoveOven

Banned
I'm not even saying line puzzles are inherently bad. I just don't care for that type of puzzle solving. It would be like making a game where the only mechanic is Sudoku set on a beautiful island. As much as I might appreciate the environment, I just don't want to solve 600+ Sudoku grids to see it all.

If you don't like line puzzle you probably shouldn't play The Witness

Gsnap

Might not be a popular opinion, but it seems incredibly boring, what I have witnessed so far which would be the first four hours seems really simple-minded very little challenge. Next, there is nothing besides finishing the puzzles to keep you playing, Blow wanted to make a painting not a real game. I don't know maybe it just isn't my flavor, or maybe my hatred for Blow is blinding me. I just do not get these scores.

¬_¬

Even if the game is just a series of puzzles (though according to people in this thread it does have more than that), how exactly does that make it not a real game?

It's not a bad thing for the motivation for finishing a game to come from the gameplay itself. In fact, that would likely make it more of a real game.

I'm not even saying line puzzles are inherently bad. I just don't care for that type of puzzle solving. It would be like making a game where the only mechanic is Sudoku set on a beautiful island. As much as I might appreciate the environment, I just don't want to solve 600+ Sudoku grids to see it all.

No. No it wouldn't be like that at all. Sudoku has a very rigid rule set and is entirely self-contained, with no meta information to imply and educate the player.

Fat4all

Banned
As much as I might appreciate the environment, I just don't want to solve 600+ Sudoku grids to see it all.

pzv5j7l.jpg

Have you actually read any of the reviews, or just skimmed them?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh goddamnit, there is no boxed version, is there. I was planning to pick it up today, then it dawned on me.

Wow, that's one of the worst written, condescending and agressive, while completely gratiutous pieces of video game coverage I've seen for a long time, and that's just the first few paragraphs. Author's going on and on to rant over absolutely minor and laughably nonrelevant points to what, prove that Jonathan Blow is a lesser human being? I like to rant, but this is just pitiful.

Torment

Banned
¬_¬

Even if the game is just a series of puzzles (though according to people in this thread it does have more than that), how exactly does that make it not a real game?

It's not a bad thing for the motivation for finishing a game come from the gameplay itself. In fact, that would likely make it more of a real game.

I never said it wasn't a game, I said Blow didn't want to make it a game, he only sees VG as art and has no interest making something for entertainment.

I don't like line puzzles.

I really like the way The Witness looks and feels.

I was hoping that there was more to the game than line puzzles so I would want to experience the world more.

It doesn't seem like there is anything more to the core gameplay than line puzzles.

So it doesn't seem like I will enjoy this game.

There is really no reason for anyone to try to convince me that I'm wrong.

You all come off looking like rabid fanboys trying to convince me that there's more to this game or that I should like it despite the fact that it's core mechanic is something I don't care for.

StoveOven

Banned
I never said it wasn't a game, I said Blow didn't want to make it a game, he only sees VG as art and has no interest making something for entertainment.

I thought Braid was a ton of fun. In fact, i think the puzzle solving was the main appeal and all of the "artistic" parts were just a bonus

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I was hoping that there was more to the game than line puzzles so I would want to experience the world more.

It doesn't seem like there is anything more to the core gameplay than line puzzles.

You all come off looking like rabid fanboys trying to convince me that there's more to this game or that I should like it despite the fact that it's core mechanic is something I don't care for.
Except, you know, that you asked us to.

I wish someone would drop all the "no spoilers" nonsense and just come out and say what the "big reveal" is. Like... if this is really it then why is this game getting so much praise?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No. No it wouldn't be like that at all. Sudoku has a very rigid rule set and is entirely self-contained, with no meta information to imply and educate the player.

Yup. In this scenario, the game wouldn't just be sudoku puzzles, it'd use alternative means for the player to fill out the numbers needed. The line puzzles are simply an input method, where the knowledge of HOW you're filling the panel is the puzzle moreso than the input itself.

That's just not true. At all. Blow has praised all sorts of entertaining games, from AAA games like Red Dead Redemption to indie titles like Kingdom. Of course Blow wants games to be entertaining. He just doesn't think the current state of puzzles in mainstream games are actually very puzzling.

You clearly haven't heard any of the interviews or discussions the guy has given about the game and designing The Witness over the last 8 years, if you somehow formed that opinion

Man, in 12 hours the game unlocks and we can let it speak for itself.

And we can talk about the game from experience.

I can't wait until then.

Others might fall for this, but that's a very good sarcastic troll. Don't keep it up though.

wildfire

Banned
The rewinding time mechanic was at least loosely connected to the narrative and the idea of wanting to turn back time and undo mistakes.

But based on reviews and other stuff, there is no narrative to speak of in The Witness, so nothing to tie the mechanic to in a meaningful way.

Maybe there's something deeper that reviewers chose not to include or haven't uncovered yet. But maybe not.

The reviewers are slyly pointing out that as you learn more about the puzzles you learn more about the island itself. That said it seems based on your statement you're not terribly interested in great game design which is ok. I love games where they are so finely tuned you learn to play through your actions instead of being given a scripted tutorial.

Kemal86

The horror.

The irony, of course, being that "the mechanics", the thing that truly separates games from more traditional art, were utterly perfect in Braid.

Gsnap

Sorry, but I think you were right about your hatred for Blow blinding you.

You said, "Next, there is nothing besides finishing the puzzles to keep you playing, Blow wanted to make a painting not a real game."

You said there is nothing but the gameplay to keep you playing, and then implied the reason for that is because Blow didn't want to make a real game.

Those two things don't go together. If Blow stripped away so many things that gameplay is the only driving force in the game, then how can we conclude that he didn't want to make a real game? You're clearly being illogical, and since you outright admitted that you "hate" the guy, it seems to me that you don't really know what you're talking about.

And by the way, I don't agree with Blow on a lot of stuff either. But that doesn't change the fact that you're argument is based on nothing substantial.

Others might fall for this, but that's a very good sarcastic troll. Don't keep it up though.

I don't understand how this is trolling. I was trying to state my opinion as clearly as possible in simple sentences. Lots of people seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not trying to suggest that this is going to be a bad game or that it's worthless or anything like that. I'm suggesting that I was hoping for something more than what it seems to actually be.

Torment

Banned
So your just in this thread to say his games aren't games?

Edit: or that your just in the thread to say you'll never buy it?

No just to say that I don't understand the high praise, just voicing my opinion about the game after watching it for quite a while.

That is one of the many reasons. You can like him and enjoy his titles, that is your right. I will just never support him, period.
Then why are you here if you're not interested in the game or have any valuable criticism/opinion to share? You're not backing any of your arguments at all. I don't get why you refuse to ever support a Jonathan Blow game, you never elaborate on that with anything concrete but then why end up here?

Oh I get it. Just arguing to make this thread keep on going at a popular pace. Win win, really. That's a good objective.

At one point you just have to ignore the drive-by posts. There have been a multitude of examples that show how the line puzzles go beyond the panels, even more massive ones if you're actually searching for spoilers, and the game has already been shown to have been worth the price by multiple reviews and having an impressive length.

If people don't want to search for it, or aren't genuinely trying to get interested in the game, then no matter how long the discussion becomes, it's not going to solve anything.

Gsnap

Sorry I stirred up trouble never my intent, enjoy the "game" guys night.

haha.

Well there it is, folks. Puzzles aren't games anymore. Pack it up, Tetris. You had a good run, but your time is up. Oh, and tell Threes on your way out.

I'm really looking forward to starting this tomorrow evening. Probably won't get anywhere as much time as I'd like to with it tomorrow, though.

Also,I swear this game has brought out some of the strangest concern/I really need to tell you why I won't like this posts I've seen in awhile. Who knew a puzzle game would do that?

Fat4all

Banned
haha.

Well there it is, folks. Puzzles aren't games anymore. Pack it up, Tetris. You had a good run, but your time is up. Oh, and tell Threes on your way out.

PopCap's on notice, bust a cap in dey ass if they cancel Garden Warfare 2.

StoveOven

Banned
I'm really looking forward to starting this tomorrow evening. Probably won't get anywhere as much time as I'd like to with it tomorrow, though.

Also,I swear this game has brought out some of the strangest concern/I really need to tell you why I won't like this posts I've seen in awhile. Who knew a puzzle game would do that?

I think it has less to do with the fact that it's a puzzle game and more to do with the fact that it was made by Johnathan Blow

PopCap's on notice, bust a cap in dey ass if they cancel Garden Warfare 2.

Nah GW2 is a real game because it's shooty shooty bang bang.

I think it has less to do with the fact that it's a puzzle game and more to do with the fact that it was made by Johnathan Blow

Probably. I mean, I met the guy at the GDC prior to Braid releasing. I got to play it, approached hi. And said I thought his game was good and was greeted with a, "yeah, cool." To be fair, it was the third day of GDC and he was probably fried from talking to a lot of people, but my first impression wasn't favorable. That doesn't stop someone from changing and/or growing up and he's actually seemed pretty chill in interviews and articles in regards to The Witness. I'd likely be playing it regardless.

Top Bottom