• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Aces&Eights

I figured it out, woo! I was trapped in some linear thinking. Now I'm stuck on a similar one like, 20 feet away.

Back to the marsh I go. Progress, in fits and starts. :lol

I love how my small victories are so short lived. *Solves puzzle after 45 minutes of losing mind. Walk 10 feet to next puzzle and stare blankly at screen*

Love this game.

Woodchipper

Almost done with the last laser, which in my case is the temple with the red tree in it. I need help though.
I'm on the last panel and it doesn't make much sense to me. I have a good idea of what to do I think, but I've tried a number of possible solutions with no luck. Yes, I've also spotted the piece on the floor, but it doesn't seem to fit by my logic.
Any hints?

Thank you

Motooni

For the garden mazes, I remember for one of them
listen to the sound as you walk around the maze.

For the fourth/final maze
look at the panel, and the life sized maze and compare the two

S1kkZ

so sick of the tetris stuff. i know what i have to do, its just that i dont feel any fun or statisfaction while doing so.

180 panels solved, i think i done with the game. first few hours have been amazing, but it just becomes so tedious. the puzzles where you really discover something and have an "aha" moment after solving them: great.

but the puzzles that have tutorials and then you have to solve dozens of them, only more complicated...yea, fuck off.

Look at the puzzle on the bridge, then
look down at the bridge and both platforms. See any similarities?

It's an important thing to notice, because this mechanic shows up elsewhere in the game.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about the I shaped bridge, or the corner one?

The I shaped bridge. Sorry, I forgot the second bridge.

Gsnap

Finished the
town.

Should be my last section, though I'll have to count up and check. One of the coolest ones to, the way everything plays out. Can't say which section would be my favorite. They're all really cool in their own way.

Gonna have to make my way to the end now.

The I shaped bridge. Sorry, I forgot the second bridge.

Ok. Well there are two ways of solving your issue:

The way you were supposed to go
after the laser, there's a path leading towards the mountain with a door.

Or back over the bridge
there's more than one solution to the bridge puzzle, and it's in some way related to what the bridge and platforms look like.

Ok. Well there are two ways of solving your issue:

The way you were supposed to go
after the laser, there's a path leading towards the mountain with a door.

Or back over the bridge
there's more than one solution to the bridge puzzle, and it's in some way related to what the bridge and platforms look like.

Oh wow, I'm blind, lol. Thank you.

Can someone explain me this solution (sound puzzle) ?
I don't get it at all. I solved every puzzle before without a problem. I have no idea why this is right.

http://imgur.com/fd83qmm

Mikey Jr.

Hey so, quick question. I have like 100 or so puzzles done, but I want to start a new file with my brother on PS4.

Can I just start a new game from the options and create a new file? Or will it erase my 100 puzzle file with this brand new one?

Thanks.

Bump

Selkies!

I have a question. I just finished the sand temple place and I think something went wrong?

The laser isn't pointing at the mountain, it's pointing straight into the middle of the ocean. As I was finishing the area, I walked backwards and fell off the elevator as it was going up. I don't think the laser positioned itself correctly before it shot because of this? They're all supposed to hit the mountain correct? Is this gonna mess me up later?

Just started playing this earlier. Felt lost as hell.

Finshed the 6 (I think) puzzles on some blue screens, nothing happened. Finished the (5 I think) on some green screens opposite and nothing happened there.

Gave up after for the night after that lol.

Fdkn

I have a question. I just finished the sand temple place and I think something went wrong?

The laser isn't pointing at the mountain, it's pointing straight into the middle of the ocean. As I was finishing the area, I walked backwards and fell off the elevator as it was going up. I don't think the laser positioned itself correctly before it shot because of this? They're all supposed to hit the mountain correct? Is this gonna mess me up later?

it's fine, keep playing

Greecian-

That laser can be redirected. That's all I'll say

This shadow puzzle in the forest
screenshot

What the heck

The best way to deal with those might be to look at the shadow and write out the path as a series of directions. Even the number of squares, if you can make it out.

So for that one you would start with
left 1, down 1, left 1
on the panel and then move on to the distorted part.

Aces&Eights

If I were you
I'd go investigate where the laser is going
. But that is just me.

G-Bus

Banned
I don't get how to reach that door in time in the trees. All the puzzles I can do are done. I've turned all the platforms every which way. I'm stumped.

Edit: never mind. Got it.

RobisWaiting

Neo Member
so sick of the tetris stuff. i know what i have to do, its just that i dont feel any fun or statisfaction while doing so.

180 panels solved, i think i done with the game. first few hours have been amazing, but it just becomes so tedious. the puzzles where you really discover something and have an "aha" moment after solving them: great.

but the puzzles that have tutorials and then you have to solve dozens of them, only more complicated...yea, fuck off.

I felt a little bit of the same way as you my first day playing it, but after another day it all kinda clicked for me and I grew to love all the puzzles. Specifically talking about the Tetris puzzles, once I cut out the shapes for the pieces and started physically moving them around it made all of them a LOT more fun.

I am truly blown away by this game...

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Loving this game so far. I'm just over 200 puzzles and have walked around the whole island but haven't even gotten in the boat yet lol.

I felt so great when I figured out the final puzzle in the Oriental tree building.
The twigs only line up on part of the panel. Must have spent 15 minutes trying to find clues. I knew there had to be something close by as a clue to solve it. Looked down at the ground for a second and....son of a bitch. I'm looking at a broken twig that finishes the overlay. Brilliant.

Just started playing this earlier. Felt lost as hell.

Finshed the 6 (I think) puzzles on some blue screens, nothing happened. Finished the (5 I think) on some green screens opposite and nothing happened there.

Gave up after for the night after that lol.

Some puzzles are just tutorials to show you basic mechanics. They don't "need" to be done at all, but without them it's pretty hard to progress.

If it's what i'm thinking of. Follow that laser into town and have a look. It should be very close to a panel.

jett

D-Member
Just finished it too.

What the fuck?

Yeah that uh sure was something.

Ending spoilers:

Also got the credits/epilogue. I guess the twist is that you're literally playing a video and that's all there is to the story LOL. I didn't really have high expectations there but I thought I'd get something interesting like Braid at least. Why is this even called The Witness? Maybe there'll be anohter 10-minute long video after you get all the puzzles. Now sure I'll ever get all the puzzles, and to get all the puzzles, do I really have to do everything again? Man, what?

Anyway, "final" time 34 hours, 413+26 puzzles. The only area I didn't really fuck with was the village. I completed the rest of the areas, except for the hedge maze, I don't even know if it has a laser. On the whole this is simply one of the most clever and smartly designed games out there. There's so much inventive stuff in here. Well worth the monies. And SO pretty, obviously.

Some puzzles are just tutorials to show you basic mechanics. They don't "need" to be done at all, but without them it's pretty hard to progress.

Ah, I see.

Seems a cool game, though. Will definitely keep going back to it when I feel the desire to feel stupid be mentally challenged.

The best way to deal with those might be to look at the shadow and write out the path as a series of directions. Even the number of squares, if you can make it out.

So for that one you would start with
left 1, down 1, left 1
on the panel and then move on to the distorted part.

There are two ways to start this puzzle. Should that tell me something?
Is the obvious entrance (with a clear light path going out from it) the wrong way to start?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
How widespread is the motion sickness thing? The thread was kind of dramatic, it seemed like people with no history of it were suffering, which is worrying.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Any hints for the blue pillar building in the town/village? I'm stumped on what the line might be following here.

Greecian-

How widespread is the motion sickness thing? The thread was kind of dramatic, it seemed like people with no history of it were suffering, which is worrying.

There were some puzzles late in the game that I couldn't look at for long periods of time, but I'm sensitive to shit like that. I felt like I was on acid

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
There were some puzzles late in the game that I couldn't look at for long periods of time, but I'm sensitive to shit like that. I felt like I was on acid

Hmm, ive never had an issue before with this stuff but its a tad worrying hearing stuff like this

I do get migraines from time to time, not directly from games, but prolonged exposure to screens for long spells has sometimes brought them on.

Top Bottom