• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Gsnap

Soooo. I finished the
town
. But there are two puzzles that still confuse me in what they do. I did solve them, but it didn't seem like they did anything. It didn't seem like they activated anything, and it didn't seem like they are required to complete that area. The
red, blue, and green light panels in the greenhouse/bunker part of the town. Solved them. Then nothing happened. Were they a requirement for finishing the town, and I just didn't realize that they were, or do they do something else? Because I didn't see any wires running from them to the tower. It doesn't look like they connect to anything.

So do they do anything?

Yeah that uh sure was something.

Ending spoilers:

Also got the credits/epilogue. I guess the twist is that you're literally playing a video and that's all there is to the story LOL. I didn't really have high expectations there but I thought I'd get something interesting like Braid at least. Why is this even called The Witness? Maybe there'll be anohter 10-minute long video after you get all the puzzles. Now sure I'll ever get all the puzzles, and to get all the puzzles, do I really have to do everything again? Man, what?

Anyway, "final" time 34 hours, 413+26 puzzles. The only area I didn't really fuck with was the village. I completed the rest of the areas, except for the hedge maze, I don't even know if it has a laser. On the whole this is simply one of the most clever and smartly designed games out there. There's so much inventive stuff in here. Well worth the monies. And SO pretty, obviously.

I wouldn't count that easter egg video as a proper ending or anything. It's more of just, well... An easter egg. That said, you're not finished yet, and there's more to discover and learn. You can reload your save now to go back and continue playing, and I would start by finishing off all the beacons (sounds like you only have one left?)

*Splinter

Regarding the theatre:

The theatre puzzles

I just watched all 6, back to back, in their entirety, then walked around the back and realised I have to play the really long one again :(

jett

D-Member
I wouldn't count that easter egg video as a proper ending or anything. It's more of just, well... An easter egg. That said, you're not finished yet, and there's more to discover and learn. You can reload your save now to go back and continue playing, and I would start by finishing off all the beacons (sounds like you only have one left?)

Well, okay. What about the
+1 puzzle that's only available in NG+?
And I guess that activating all the beacons will make sense of the
solitary panels I've been finding that are randomly scattered? I don't even know what their rule is, but I'm somehow activating them :p

Hated that one. Fucking senseless. Makes even less sense since all the other ones are grade school easy.

Such a terrible puzzle. It should have at least been the last of its set.

The
two starting points
are what make this one so tough, imo. It makes you question what you've learned so far and then you spend a bunch of time attempting the wrong path.

The
two starting points
are what make this one so tough, imo. It makes you question what you've learned so far and then you spend a bunch of time attempting the wrong path.

I wasnt that thrown off by it. The solution is just too messy so when you fail it, you startbto question what u just mentioned

I feel stupid though. Because the solution makes sense in hindsight..sort of.

I wasnt that thrown off by it. The solution is just too messy so when you fail it, you startbto question what u just mentioned

I feel stupid though. Because the solution makes sense in hindsight..sort of.

Yeah, that's true. It's easy to make a small mistake and then you think you have the wrong idea entirely, when, in fact, you don't.

*Splinter

Well, okay. What about the
+1 puzzle that's only available in NG+?
And I guess that activating all the beacons will make sense of the
solitary panels I've been finding that are randomly scattered? I don't even know what their rule is, but I'm somehow activating them :p
Its available in the first play through. You can find it either at the very beginning or at the very end.

Also, there is no NG+

jett

D-Member
Its available in the first play through. You can find it either at the very beginning or at the very end.

Also, there is no NG+

Really,
so you can get credits/epilogue on your very first game? How can I get that +puzzle in an ongoing game btw?

Really,
so you can get credits/epilogue on your very first game? How can I get that +puzzle in an ongoing game btw?

I don't know how exactly, but I do hear there is a way to reactivate the forcefield if you just keep playing, activate all 11 beacons, and explore to see what that unlocks. Even if I haven't done much in the post-endgame myself, I don't want to give too much away about it ;)

G-Bus

Banned
I officially can't solve this puzzle. I tried drawing it in paint and using paper cutouts.
help.

Go up 3 blocks on the left and make your shape, returning on the other side of that gap.

Working on the greenhouse now. Probably where everyone else got stuck but can I get a small hint about the
broken cable

Nzyme32

Finished the game in 29 hours - but I've found more stuff to do so who knows if I've actually finished yet. I feel fucking smart as fuck right now!

wildfire

Banned
The Tetris rules make no sense. If it wasn't for the fact there are 2 saves for load points instead of 1 I would be trapped in Tetris land. That's a big knock against the design of this game for me.

icespide

Banned
The Tetris rules make no sense. If it wasn't for the fact there are 2 saves for load points instead of 1 I would be trapped in Tetris land. That's a big knock against the design of this game for me.

youre never trapped in the swamp you can
solve puzzles in different ways to move platforms

Except they make perfect sense. I keep seeing people saying this, and I just keep shaking my head. The rules are fine. There is nothing wrong with them, if anything the Tetris pieces are actually one of the most simple symbols in the game. If you think they're too hard you're overcomplicating them. It's as simple as that. If what you think is right isn't working, then it's not the puzzle's fault, it's your assumption of what is right that's wrong. Take the opportunity to determine what IS right.

Not only that, but you're never trapped. It's entirely possible to get out of the swamp, the bridge can be activated in the other direction.

Nzyme32

youre never trapped in the swamp you can
solve puzzles in different ways to move platforms

image.php

There are tutorials type areas for each puzzle mechanic set to make this fairly clear. For the Tetris one, its definitely good to pay attention to what your actions do

This town with a weird a small statue with a guy with his arms up, I can't solve even one puzzle, a few are like color splotches others have like a tiny tetris sign on them, where do I head to learn how to solve these?
Any hints? Thanks I am lost here.

This town with a weird a small statue with a guy with his arms up, I can't solve even one puzzle, a few are like color splotches others have like a tiny tetris sign on them, where do I head to learn how to solve these?
Any hints? Thanks I am lost here.

You're not meant to be able to progress in the town right away. In fact, you need to learn concepts from EVERY area in the game to be able to progress through it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Uhm...what? Mountain spoilers

How the hell do you generate a valid solution with the blue path that also leaves any room for the yellow path to fit?

GhaleonEB

Except they make perfect sense. I keep seeing people saying this, and I just keep shaking my head. The rules are fine. There is nothing wrong with them, if anything the Tetris pieces are actually one of the most simple symbols in the game. If you think they're too hard you're overcomplicating them. It's as simple as that. If what you think is right isn't working, then it's not the puzzle's fault, it's your assumption of what is right that's wrong. Take the opportunity to determine what IS right.

Not only that, but you're never trapped. It's entirely possible to get out of the swamp, the bridge can be activated in the other direction.

Like many things in the game, figuring out what the rules are is the key. There are definitely aspects of the game that - sometimes intentionally - make you think the rule(s) is one thing, when it's another.

The tetris puzzles are just murderously difficult for me. I can't make any headway into them. I'm sure once I get it, I'll be fine, but hot damn are they opaque right now.

elguero

Cheating my way through all of the
tetris
puzzles and not feeling the least bit bad about it. Even when I get a correct solution I don't feel good about it because I don't understand the underlying logic to the puzzle.

Ok I have no idea where to go, windmill question

I have found all but one video, I think it's the fourth or fifth one, but I have no idea where to look for it, at least the name of the area where it's located would be most appreciated, it's not the ship one

Cheating my way through all of the
tetris
puzzles and not feeling the least bit bad about it. Even when I get a correct solution I don't feel good about it because I don't understand the underlying logic to the puzzle.

Well that's one way to completely ruin the point of the game and sap any fun you could get out of it.

Uhm...what? Mountain spoilers

How the hell do you generate a valid solution with the blue path that also leaves any room for the yellow path to fit?

You don't right away, you have to keep going back and forth.

I had zero trouble with the tetris puzzles until about 90% into the swamp, where I wasn't getting the
blue squares
. Did another area, came back, they made sense.

Top Bottom