• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Gsnap

Tetris puzzles are some of the easiest once you understand them.

Just ask someone in here what the actual rules are. Then you own't be confused, and you'll be able to actually be challenged by them and enjoy them rather than beating your head against them or skipping them all together.

wildfire

Banned
Except they make perfect sense. I keep seeing people saying this, and I just keep shaking my head. The rules are fine. There is nothing wrong with them, if anything the Tetris pieces are actually one of the most simple symbols in the game. If you think they're too hard you're overcomplicating them. It's as simple as that. If what you think is right isn't working, then it's not the puzzle's fault, it's your assumption of what is right that's wrong. Take the opportunity to determine what IS right.

Not only that, but you're never trapped. It's entirely possible to get out of the swamp, the bridge can be activated in the other direction.

This bridge doesn't reset nor does it change direction if you resolve it again even with a different pattern.

http://i.imgur.com/s8gByYd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DojdC2t.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2zuhw9d.jpg

Those are all the chokepoints.

Swamp Bridge doesn't reset nor does it change direction if you resolve it even with a different pattern.

Reverse your solution you used to get there.
Why would we be lying about that when it's a common problem? You CAN get "trapped" outside the middle of the swamp, but that's only well later on.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You don't right away, you have to keep going back and forth.

I had zero trouble with the tetris puzzles until about 90% into the swamp, where I wasn't getting the
blue squares
. Did another area, came back, they made sense.

I figured out that you can't get to the exit on the first try, but the problem is partial solutions don't stick, so I do at least need to get from side to side and I just don't see it yet

Mindlog

I wasnt that thrown off by it. The solution is just too messy so when you fail it, you startbto question what u just mentioned

I feel stupid though. Because the solution makes sense in hindsight..sort of.
For me it came together when I realized they were all set up correctly to begin with. Something happened and you have to alter your perception to match what should be there.
It does.
Besides the boat there is another exit/entrance from the area.

jesus christ Blow

there is no way Jeff Gerstman or anyone else who is colorblind can beat this

I'm colour blind and I was fine even with the colour puzzles as they were all different enough... until
the fucking LSD rave screens in the mountain. First time I had to just straight up google the solution to a panel and I just skipped them all.

Gsnap

This bridge doesn't reset nor does it change direction if you resolve it again even with a different pattern.

http://i.imgur.com/s8gByYd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DojdC2t.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2zuhw9d.jpg

Those are all the chokepoints.

But that's not true. If you got across the bridge you have all the information you need to get back. The other places could count as chokepoints as you need to learn new rules to progress, but you already learned the rules for the bridge or else you wouldn't be able to get across it. : /

wildfire

Banned
For me it came together when I realized they were all set up correctly to begin with. Something happened and you have to alter your perception to match what should be there.
It does.
Besides the boat there is another exit/entrance from the area.

Yeah I know about that I reached that area from the boat and decided to skip it when I didn't like how it was going. But I came around it again from the other side by coming down the mountain and that's when I got trapped because I lured by the easier puzzles and then the subsequent ones boxed me in.

Either I've completely misunderstood the rules of both the purple suns and the tetris blocks thus far or this is impossible. Help me GAF, I'm an idiot! (A hint is preferred but if that's too annoying I'll begrudgingly take a solution)
Link to an image of my sadness

EDIT: never mind I solved it. Clearly I just need to post on GAF to Kickstart my brain.

tesqui

Does it lock you out of going back and doing side stuff after you beat the game? Just a Yes or no answer would be fine.

wildfire

Banned
But that's not true. If you got across the bridge you have all the information you need to get back. The other places could count as chokepoints as you need to learn new rules to progress, but you already learned the rules for the bridge or else you wouldn't be able to get across it. : /

I'll retry the bridge and see if there is a third solution.

lionpants

I am honestly stumped for hours on this one...
It's near the town hub. Has a green background looks like a plus sign and has a bunch of possible exits. Just after the one with the rope wrapped around the gate. I have looked at everything including the windmill. Anyone have a clue?

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
How does this not solve it?
Pressure puzzles

That's not a solution you could execute if you were interacting with that puzzle normally. You can't break the existing rules.

...at least, you can't break that rule.

I am honestly stumped for hours on this one...
It's near the town hub. Has a green background looks like a plus sign and has a bunch of possible exits. Just after the one with the rope wrapped around the gate. I have looked at everything including the windmill. Anyone have a clue?

Look at the tree in front of(near) it, if you still have no idea what to do go to the area with the pink trees.

wildfire

Banned
Thanks for the encouragement all. There was a 3rd way to solve the bridge puzzle so I was able to move it. I'll stay out of Tetris land for now.

lionpants

Look at the tree in front of(near) it, if you still have no idea what to do go to the area with the pink trees.
Ugh, I did all of the orchard puzzles no problem and thought the apple had something to do with the plus puzzle. So basically, viewing the tree from one side, right to left is bottom to top on the puzzle, then from the other side of the tree, left to right is right to left on the puzzle. Such a stretch if you ask me... Actually if you had a birds eye view on the tree, it would reflect the puzzle perfectly. Wow. Toughest one so far. Thanks.

Mistle

Been stuck on the door in the ship wreck where you
hear the water drops and there are three different coloured, multiple sized hexagons, and reflected line. I've done sound puzzles, and colour puzzles, but I just cannot get through this damn door. I only hear three drops of water and big boat creaking sounds... nothing that I can line up. Also not sure how the colour order works with sound, first time I've come across it.
Hard! I'll get through eventually though...

Also still stuck on..

Stuck big time in the mountain,
the final puzzle in the series of 6 that all operate at once. It seems impossible! I can't make the shape on the very left fit in with the rest of the previous puzzles.
Going to bed and hopefully I'll be able to make sense of it tomorrow. No solution please, just posting here to share my grief with anyone else stuck here I guess :p

My progress has pretty much come to a halt atm. Going around getting + puzzles and also seeing what I may have missed. Found a few more
videotapes, and also those random puzzles on the ground with the triangles
, which I know how to solve but have yet to have any impact on anything.

Anybody know which puzzle Blow said less than 1% of people will solve? :p

RedColumn

Finished! What a GREAT game :D

About the end:
Is that even an end? is all this audio really mean something like it could mean for Braid?

In total: 403 +17. No village laser done... and not windmill either (is that what the people is talking about some videos??

Question: What happend if I get all the
lasers? and +Puzzles? How many are there?

I forgot to check if they have still the
"record-player" inside a tree
from the first trailer... Anybody knows this? does it
play the song from the trailer or something?

I wrote some rules on Tetris symbols the other day, they got a bit buried and ignored as the thread was moving so fast at the time. I've revised them some to hopefully clarify things even more so here we go again. Note that I do heavily encourage people to not give up and learn the rules on their own, but I'd rather people cheat and spoil themselves on just the rules than go and look up solutions for entire puzzles with them. So, here's the complete rundown of how the Tetris symbols work. With some basic examples this time!

-The basic idea when you see a Tetris symbol is that you must create an area bordered by the line or the walls of the grid that represent the shape. The symbol itself must be within this shape, it doesn't matter where.
-The shape you draw with the line must be exactly as shown by the symbol. You cannot change the shape in anyway except for two situations which I will cover next. But what this means is that a three block vertical line must be drawn as a three block vertical line, not horizontal. Same goes for any of the non-standard shapes which have gaps: the gaps must be represented exactly as shown in the symbol.
-One of the corollaries to the above rule is when the symbol is slanted. When you see this, it means you can rotate the symbol. Keep in mind that when rotating an L or a J and other such non-symmetrical symbols, they cannot be mirrored. An L may be rotated to horizontal with a hook on the upper-right or lower-left, but not the other two positions.
-The other exception are hollow squares. These are a separate but related symbol that subtract the need to include exactly one square in the shape they are enclosed in. Hollow squares often come grouped together, but the shape they are shown in does not matter. You merely need to subtract as many squares from the shape you draw as there are hollow squares enclosed within it. It is possible for hollow squares to subtract all squares from a Tetris shape, in which case it does not matter what area they are confined in. Note that you can't have more hollow squares contained within an area than there are Tetris squares to subtract: you can't go into the negative!
-When there are multiple symbols to be used, it is possible to combine them into one single continuous area. To understand this it's best to think visually, and pretend you're playing Tetris. Essentially, pieces can nest together to form larger shapes. When pieces are grouped like this you do not need to draw a line between the shapes. For instance, suppose you have this J and T symbol (represented by o's, x's are blank spaces):

xo
xo
oo

ox
oo
ox

The two shapes can be nested together as such:

oxo
ooo
ooo

You would only need to draw a line around the outside of this combined shape! This also works in situations where shapes merely touch instead of necessarily nesting. This L and J:

ooo
xxo

xxo
ooo

Can combine to the single shape:

ooo
xxo
xxo
ooo

Combined shapes can get much more complex than this of course and may involve as many symbols as the grid can fit.
-Now, the big thing many people seem to miss at first: in such combined groups, it does not matter where the individual symbols are. The symbols for the J and T or L and J above could be ANYWHERE within their combined group. They don't have to be overlapping their actual shape in the group! So long as the symbol is within the lines, it's good.
-Lastly, a quick sanity check method for when you're having issues and don't know why. Count the number of squares in the Tetris shapes you are working with and then count the squares enclosed in that group. If they don't match, you either have too many or too few squares enclosed.

Exuro

About the end:
Is that even an end? is all this audio really mean something like it could mean for Braid?.... it does turn the game off or did just happend to me?

In total: 403 +17. No village laser done... and not windmill either (is that what the people is talking about some videos??

You still have a lot more to do

DavidDesu

I'm loving this game. Getting butterflies knowing I'm playing something truly incredible. A great singular vision and the game keeps surprising me in lots of nice little ways. It looks gorgeous too. So clean on PS4 I can't believe it's apparently 900p, was sure it was 1080p!

nobode

Neo Member

About the end:
Is that even an end? is all this audio really mean something like it could mean for Braid?

You're maybe 60-70% done with the game.

KraytarJ

So I'm in the quarry and
how do I get the stairs to the second floor to come down? I see a panel near them but I can't find a spot to get a good look at it to solve it.

Tried finishing the game again with the highest count known so far.
523+135+6

And...
nothing. Seems like the 'second ending' is really the dev's one, since you're supposed to find it last. Wish there was some way to know that you 100% because Blow said some people already did.

So I'm in the quarry and
how do I get the stairs to the second floor to come down? I see a panel near them but I can't find a spot to get a good look at it to solve it.

You solve that
from the second floor. There's another way up.

Chris R

The worst thing now is that (IDK, mid game spoiler?)
I can see all these various in world +s available, but then there is perspective blocking shit in the way. The Castle puzzles (not the hedge mazes) being the primary ones I can think of right now. Guessing I need to find a better spot to try to complete them.

Thinking I'll be able to "finish" the game this weekend, but 100% completion is some ways away yet lol.

The worst thing now is that (IDK, mid game spoiler?)
I can see all these various in world +s available, but then there is perspective blocking shit in the way. The Castle puzzles (not the hedge mazes) being the primary ones I can think of right now. Guessing I need to find a better spot to try to complete them.

Thinking I'll be able to "finish" the game this weekend, but 100% completion is some ways away yet lol.

You mean the pressure plate puzzles? Yeah, I got a hidden line on one of them from above but all the others are obstructed. My feeling is that you just need to resolve them in a way that the line won't be obstructed to be able to get it, so I intend to mess with those again sometime. May be best to draw out where the obstructions are for each grid from above.

Tried finishing the game again with the highest count known so far.
523+135+6
Since you may have missed the
notveryexciting
spoiler topic:
are all of the lasers pulsing for you? My symmetrypeninsula laser doesn't pulse(and I'm only at 522), and I'm wondering if that indicates regular puzzle completion(or lack of, for nonpulsers) for a region. And did you find all the audio logs?

Chris R

You mean the pressure plate puzzles? Yeah, I got a hidden line on one of them from above but all the others are obstructed. My feeling is that you just need to resolve them in a way that the line won't be obstructed to be able to get it, so I intend to mess with those again sometime. May be best to draw out where the obstructions are for each grid from above.

Yup, those are the ones I'm talking about. I tried a few different places but it didn't matter. Just moved on since I have so many other things to do :D

elguero

I wrote some rules on Tetris symbols the other day, they got a bit buried and ignored as the thread was moving so fast at the time. I've revised them some to hopefully clarify things even more so here we go again. Note that I do heavily encourage people to not give up and learn the rules on their own, but I'd rather people cheat and spoil themselves on just the rules than go and look up solutions for entire puzzles with them. So, here's the complete rundown of how the Tetris symbols work. With some basic examples this time!

-The basic idea when you see a Tetris symbol is that you must create an area bordered by the line or the walls of the grid that represent the shape. The symbol itself must be within this shape, it doesn't matter where.
-The shape you draw with the line must be exactly as shown by the symbol. You cannot change the shape in anyway except for two situations which I will cover next. But what this means is that a three block vertical line must be drawn as a three block vertical line, not horizontal. Same goes for any of the non-standard shapes which have gaps: the gaps must be represented exactly as shown in the symbol.
-One of the corollaries to the above rule is when the symbol is slanted. When you see this, it means you can rotate the symbol. Keep in mind that when rotating an L or a J and other such non-symmetrical symbols, they cannot be mirrored. An L may be rotated to horizontal with a hook on the upper-right or lower-left, but not the other two positions.
-The other exception are hollow squares. These are a separate but related symbol that subtract the need to include exactly one square in the shape they are enclosed in. Hollow squares often come grouped together, but the shape they are shown in does not matter. You merely need to subtract as many squares from the shape you draw as there are hollow squares enclosed within it. It is possible for hollow squares to subtract all squares from a Tetris shape, in which case it does not matter what area they are confined in. Note that you can't have more hollow squares contained within an area than there are Tetris squares to subtract: you can't go into the negative!
-When there are multiple symbols to be used, it is possible to combine them into one single continuous area. To understand this it's best to think visually, and pretend you're playing Tetris. Essentially, pieces can nest together to form larger shapes. When pieces are grouped like this you do not need to draw a line between the shapes. For instance, suppose you have this J and T symbol (represented by o's, x's are blank spaces):

xo
xo
oo

ox
oo
ox

The two shapes can be nested together as such:

oxo
ooo
ooo

You would only need to draw a line around the outside of this combined shape! This also works in situations where shapes merely touch instead of necessarily nesting. This L and J:

ooo
xxo

xxo
ooo

Can combine to the single shape:

ooo
xxo
xxo
ooo

Combined shapes can get much more complex than this of course and may involve as many symbols as the grid can fit.
-Now, the big thing many people seem to miss at first: in such combined groups, it does not matter where the individual symbols are. The symbols for the J and T or L and J above could be ANYWHERE within their combined group. They don't have to be overlapping their actual shape in the group! So long as the symbol is within the lines, it's good.
-Lastly, a quick sanity check method for when you're having issues and don't know why. Count the number of squares in the Tetris shapes you are working with and then count the squares enclosed in that group. If they don't match, you either have too many or too few squares enclosed.
I don't know if this will solve my insanity surrounding the puzzle set but god bless you sir for this terrific, helpful post

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Cheating my way through all of the
tetris
puzzles and not feeling the least bit bad about it. Even when I get a correct solution I don't feel good about it because I don't understand the underlying logic to the puzzle.
That's not going to help you.

Lunar FC

So I made the
bridge of the 8-sided star
puzzles but I'm not sure on the rule. Am I just
splitting them into groups of 2
?

Since you may have missed the
notveryexciting
spoiler topic:
are all of the lasers pulsing for you? My symmetrypeninsula laser doesn't pulse(and I'm only at 522), and I'm wondering if that indicates regular puzzle completion(or lack of, for nonpulsers) for a region. And did you find all the audio logs?

I'll have to check for that one but yes
All the audio logs. Triangle Leaves / White Flowers / Yellow Flowers / Fountains... all point towards 100%. You may be missing the triangle puzzle in the roof of the symmetry area, it's really hidden.

Top Bottom