• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

AAK

After finally getting through the first 2 trophies
Symmetry
&
Desert Ruin
I made my way to the lighthouse area and the few houses/buildings facing it. I actually have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with any of these puzzles. The previous few areas had hints and a gradual progression that let's you gradually understand the logic. But right now I don't see how I'm even supposed to begin. Is this normal and should I just move on to the
area that the symmetry laser is pointing to
where hopefully I can figure out the logic behind what I'm currently stuck on? Or am I supposed to be able to figure it out now?

I'll have to check for that one but yes
All the audio logs. Triangle Leaves / White Flowers / Yellow Flowers / Fountains... all point towards 100%. You may be missing the triangle puzzle in the roof of the symmetry area, it's really hidden.
I found that
way back at the beginning of the game, if it's the one above where the boat docks in the giant circlecube building. What are the triangle leaves supposed to represent? I thought they might have been boat locations, but that didn't make any sense. Are they markers for the triangle puzzles scattered around?

nobode

Neo Member
Is there a trick to the location of (Endgame spoiler)
panels in the underground maze part?
Else I don't think I can finish this game without being able to change the FOV, I'm about to throw up every time I try it.

I wrote some rules on Tetris symbols the other day, they got a bit buried and ignored as the thread was moving so fast at the time. I've revised them some to hopefully clarify things even more so here we go again. Note that I do heavily encourage people to not give up and learn the rules on their own, but I'd rather people cheat and spoil themselves on just the rules than go and look up solutions for entire puzzles with them. So, here's the complete rundown of how the Tetris symbols work. With some basic examples this time!

-The basic idea when you see a Tetris symbol is that you must create an area bordered by the line or the walls of the grid that represent the shape. The symbol itself must be within this shape, it doesn't matter where.
-The shape you draw with the line must be exactly as shown by the symbol. You cannot change the shape in anyway except for two situations which I will cover next. But what this means is that a three block vertical line must be drawn as a three block vertical line, not horizontal. Same goes for any of the non-standard shapes which have gaps: the gaps must be represented exactly as shown in the symbol.
-One of the corollaries to the above rule is when the symbol is slanted. When you see this, it means you can rotate the symbol. Keep in mind that when rotating an L or a J and other such non-symmetrical symbols, they cannot be mirrored. An L may be rotated to horizontal with a hook on the upper-right or lower-left, but not the other two positions.
-The other exception are hollow squares. These are a separate but related symbol that subtract the need to include exactly one square in the shape they are enclosed in. Hollow squares often come grouped together, but the shape they are shown in does not matter. You merely need to subtract as many squares from the shape you draw as there are hollow squares enclosed within it. It is possible for hollow squares to subtract all squares from a Tetris shape, in which case it does not matter what area they are confined in. Note that you can't have more hollow squares contained within an area than there are Tetris squares to subtract: you can't go into the negative!
-When there are multiple symbols to be used, it is possible to combine them into one single continuous area. To understand this it's best to think visually, and pretend you're playing Tetris. Essentially, pieces can nest together to form larger shapes. When pieces are grouped like this you do not need to draw a line between the shapes. For instance, suppose you have this J and T symbol (represented by o's, x's are blank spaces):

xo
xo
oo

ox
oo
ox

The two shapes can be nested together as such:

oxo
ooo
ooo

You would only need to draw a line around the outside of this combined shape! This also works in situations where shapes merely touch instead of necessarily nesting. This L and J:

ooo
xxo

xxo
ooo

Can combine to the single shape:

ooo
xxo
xxo
ooo

Combined shapes can get much more complex than this of course and may involve as many symbols as the grid can fit.
-Now, the big thing many people seem to miss at first: in such combined groups, it does not matter where the individual symbols are. The symbols for the J and T or L and J above could be ANYWHERE within their combined group. They don't have to be overlapping their actual shape in the group! So long as the symbol is within the lines, it's good.
-Lastly, a quick sanity check method for when you're having issues and don't know why. Count the number of squares in the Tetris shapes you are working with and then count the squares enclosed in that group. If they don't match, you either have too many or too few squares enclosed.

Quoting this for the new page, again I only suggest reading if you REALLY don't understand the Tetris symbols at all even after going through their tutorial at the swamp.

I found that
way back at the beginning of the game, if it's the one above where the boat docks in the giant circlecube building. What are the triangle leaves supposed to represent? I thought they might have been boat locations, but that didn't make any sense. Are they markers for the triangle puzzles scattered around?

Yeah exactly,
triangle puzzles. Also, my symmetry laser doesn't pulse either

Exuro

That's kinda what I was trying to do but I guess I'm just not getting it fully. I keep getting something around this path

You're not putting the entire pattern on the wall on the board, and its not 2 wide at the bottom. Double check that your pattern you're putting on the board is the same as the wall and isn't overlapping the pattern already on the board.

You're not putting the entire pattern on the w?all on the board, and its not 2 wide at the bottom. Double check that your pattern you're putting on the board is the same as the wall and isn't overlapping the pattern already on the board.

Wow I swear I've been dancing all around that for the past 15 minutes. I could have sworn the bottom part was 2 blocks wide. Thanks!

I know, but I'm not "learning" anything from brute forcing my way through a single panel over two hours of guess work either :(

Then instead of brute forcing, try thinking. Tetris puzzle rules are some of the most straightforward in the game, and only like 1 puzzle is bullshit. The rest are very straightforward and you probably need to go back to the tutorial panels if you don't understand something

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bruh, I've gone so far as trying to scratch the board to reveal another star. I feel like i'm losing it.
You're on the right track with thinking the star needs to be paired with something. So try pairing it with something that is available.

Gsnap

Bruh, I've gone so far as trying to scratch the board to reveal another star. I feel like i'm losing it.

Think about what rule the stars tried to teach you before, then think about how you may have assumed that rule was correct when in reality the rule was something similar, but different.

: ) have fun!

Mr. F

Banned
The shadow
perspective
puzzles are fucking dirty.

Any tips for this guy?
DC835DE271DFCF5F0B897F2055C510278F490A81

Conceptually sure I get it, but there's no good way of achieving a good
perspective/vantage point
to be able to solve it in the way they've trained you to up to that point. The leaps in rules sometimes are a bit tedious.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright. Saw that ending. Seems fitting

So I hear
there's another ending if you have all 11 lasers activated? Does it trigger from the white elevator as well, or does it trigger when the mountain is accessed with 11 lasers?

Basically just asking how far back a save file I need to go

The shadow
perspective

Any tips for this guy?

to be able to solve it in the way they've trained you to up to that point. The leaps in rules sometimes are a bit tedious.

You can see the path you need to take in the shadow, both on and off the panel, you need to divine the pathway, then overlay it into it's proper position on the panel, then follow it home.

The shadow
perspective

Any tips for this guy?

I'm stuck on that one now too... I'm guessing it has something to do with the question mark looking thing on the side

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a secret button to hold to prevent W. Itness from sucking onto the panels?

I'm at 417, +33 and into the end-game area and I'm sad that so much of this game is probably behind me now. :(

Alright. Saw that ending. Seems fitting

So I hear
there's another ending if you have all 11 lasers activated? Does it trigger from the white elevator as well, or does it trigger when the mountain is accessed with 11 lasers?

Basically just asking how far back a save file I need to go

Just load the most recent save, it'll be within the elevator but you can open it and head back up to the surface. And it's not quite an ending I would say, just... SOMETHING that happens and gives you access to some cool new stuff. As for where, well... When you have all 11 activated, try checking out the mountain again and looking for anything that's changed. Maybe keep in mind just what the beacons did in the first place...

GhaleonEB

So, I've hit two dead ends.

The first is, I'm now completing lots of puzzles that seem to not do anything, so I'm dead-ending. More on those in another time, right now I'm facing my greatest foe.

The second is the 3rd pressure plate puzzle. Now that I've kinda-sorta got the hang of the tetris puzzles, I return to this one and 20 minutes later still can't solve it. The twist to it is of course
the pile of rubble that blocks the most obvious path to completing it. When I go toward it and step on the part of the block the rubble is on to activate the pressure plate, it completes the path. That ends up looking like this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ7--tqUEAAmMUi.jpg:large

The game won't even give me the dignity of a failed entry, it just doesn't even acknowledge it as complete. I'm guessing that's because my route doubles over itself, violating the panel rule of no line crossing itself. But I can't find a way around it, because the top row has to be all blocked off due to the size of the block in the corner.

Also: this one.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ72aCPUUAArtwm.jpg:large

(tetris puzzle, early on by quarry)

The lower right one seems physically impossible.

Man, the puzzles with the tree branches in the center of the pagoda/monastery can get FUCKED.
I'm fighting to find the pixel perfect spot to see what this game wants me to see, and even then it's hard to figure out what it's asking of me. On the fourth one, and it's just awful. Feels like there could be countless 'correct' answers, with one being chosen arbitrarily

Edit :Found the solution. I stand by my judgment that this puzzle sucks, and is actually just poorly realized
Hint -
Look down.

Heh, I only just noticed (spoilers for the desertbeach area) this. Probably why it took me so long to finish that area.

Back when I still had puzzles to complete ;-;

Exuro

The first is, I'm now completing lots of puzzles that seem to not do anything, so I'm dead-ending. More on those in another time, right now I'm facing my greatest foe.

The second is the 3rd pressure plate puzzle. Now that I've kinda-sorta got the hang of the tetris puzzles, I return to this one and 20 minutes later still can't solve it. The twist to it is of course
the pile of rubble that blocks the most obvious path to completing it. When I go toward it and step on the part of the block the rubble is on to activate the pressure plate, it completes the path. That ends up looking like this:

The game won't even give me the dignity of a failed entry, it just doesn't even acknowledge it as complete. I'm guessing that's because my route doubles over itself, violating the panel rule of no line crossing itself. But I can't find a way around it, because the top row has to be all blocked off due to the size of the block in the corner.

Also: this one.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ72aCPUUAArtwm.jpg:large

(tetris puzzle, early on by quarry)

The lower right one seems physically impossible.

hint pressure plate:
You don't have to complete the path from start to finish. The way you step on tiles can be out of order.

hint tetris:
If you combine the pieces to make one large piece then they don't have to overlap their specific tile. ie if you have tetris piece 1 and 2 and combine them piece 2 can cover tile 1's tile.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

If you want something that will almost give it away for you:

there are spots where you're able to walk off the pressure plate path

The final puzzle in the woods, behind the gate.....should this be really easy? I'm not seeing any workable path.

And yes, I've opened both doors. I made the mistake of trying to solve it earlier before I had lol

Then it's probably nothing.
If the leaves are triangle puzzles, though, what indicates that there's an unfinished one?

If the leaf is a bright orange, it's unfinished. If it's a bit submerged you did it.

Mate, how did you figure all this stuff out haha

I didn't figure out that
the lake was a map by myself, but when I heard that I made the connections and began searching everything

The final puzzle in the woods, behind the gate.....should this be really easy? I'm not seeing any workable path.

And yes, I've opened both doors. I made the mistake of trying to solve it earlier before I had lol

There were two split sections of puzzles for this one, right?

Hint:
The trick for this one is kind of devious, think about how you make the line in the real world with the pressure plates versus how you do it on the flat panels, you're not as limited in the "real" world...

Answer:
Walk across the ground, between pressure plates.

Stoze

Post-game progress is moving slow. Still need to find a certain area to really bump up my puzzle count. Also need to get around to really investigating the shipwreck.

It's crazy how I'm still noticing lots of clever touches with the art and environmental design.

GhaleonEB

hint tetris:
If you combine the pieces to make one large piece then they don't have to overlap their specific tile. ie if you have tetris piece 1 and 2 and combine them piece 2 can cover tile 1's tile.

tetris question:
don't both tetris pieces have to be inside the combined shape?

From what I can tell I can't rotate the pieces, but combining them means it would only be 2 columns wide, but they are 4 columns apart. So I don't see how I can combine them and create any efficiency.

If you want something that will almost give it away for you:

there are spots where you're able to walk off the pressure plate path

I figured this was the answer, and have been doing that for a while, but the area with the blockage
doesn't let you walk off the plate - there's nothing to stand on.

Increasingly I'm finding that I am figuring out the rules (except the tetris blocks), but can't execute them. Not smart enough for this game. :(

Gurrry

got my second beam, feels good man. it took a culmination of all that i learned in order to get it too..

the swamp is still my nemesis though..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the puzzles with the tree branches in the center of the pagoda/monastery can get FUCKED.
I'm fighting to find the pixel perfect spot to see what this game wants me to see, and even then it's hard to figure out what it's asking of me. On the fourth one, and it's just awful. Feels like there could be countless 'correct' answers, with one being chosen arbitrarily
There is only one answer and when it's right you'll know it. It's not immediately obvious and will require out of the box thinking. :p

If you find yourself trying to fit clearly not appropriate shapes onto the panel or something and assuming they're an approximation you're on the wrong path.

Exuro

tetris question:

From what I can tell I can't rotate the pieces, but combining them means it would only be 2 columns wide, but they are 4 columns apart. So I don't see how I can combine them and create any efficiency.

hint:
Don't connect from their bases/bottom parts.

tetris question:

They have to be in the combined shape but the individual parts of that shape don't have to correspond to the specific tetris pieces they cover. Like the second half of what Exuro said, everything after the "ie"

Top Bottom