• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Apologies if this has already been asked, but how would you folks rank the areas in terms of difficulty? I'd like to hear different perspectives on this. I've only got 3
lasers
activated, so I don't feel like I've seen much. So far I'd say, from easiest to hardest:
Red Gate (Symmetry)
Trees (Shadows)
Hedges
Desert
Swamp

Easiest to hardest? Hmmm...

1. Shaded Forest (A few things through me for a loop, but ultimately I breezed through it)
  2. Symmetry (Nice and easy, the
    invisible line
    panels did mess me up for a bit as I tried to mentally track them)
  3. Castle (I loooved figuring out the tricks to the hedge mazes, such an awesome moment but not too difficult. The pressure plates were harder, but once I started doing paint overs of the panels they turned rather easy)
  4. Desert (Once finding out the trick at least. It's hard to figure it out initially, but once you do they never really change it up besides needing to figure out where to stand)
  5. Monastery (I spent ages trying to figure out the final panel, it was such a good feeling when I did)
  6. Quarry (I grasped the
    NOT operator
    immediately, but it does have a few puzzles that were difficult to figure out!)
  7. Swamp (Despite my aptitude with Tetris symbols now I wasn't always so good at them. A few puzzles in particular held me up, and I believe it's the only area I left to take a break on since I didn't want to stare at a particular panel any longer. Naturally, when I came back I got it first thing.)
  8. Town (Coming back here after avoiding it for so long was really satisfying, as was seeing the return of all the different puzzle types. Some held me up for a bit, but knowing what everything MEANS now was a nice feeling)
  9. Greenhouse (That damn
    broken cable
    , everyone hates it. Still, most of the puzzles weren't bad and once I began working out
    what different colors appear as under different lights
    it came to me. I actually ended up solving for the
    REAL colors instead of what they would appear under green light
    , so that was kind of amusing)
  10. Treetops (Perhaps my favorite area, I feel it was just the right amount of challenging and I appreciated the additional puzzle of figuring out how to reach the beacon in time)
  11. Jungle (The only one I looked up solutions for since I am utterly unable to recognize
    the pitch of sounds and mentally separate them from each other
    ... I always was bad at the
    piano
    puzzle in Myst too :S)

Question for people who finished it or are close. I've done 8 locations but havent found a single
audio log
. Is there a point in the game where I will be in some area where you can't go back and then not get any of the secrets? I don't want ot have to replay the game for the hidden stuff later.

They're kind of hard to see and I've often missed ones sitting right under my nose; they look like little tape recorders with a green light that turns off once you've played them. You can always go back to find them though.

I'm asking for a straight answer here, man. I already finished the game. I want to see whatever bonus 11 lasers brings me.

Straight answers aren't fun! And it's a bit more than just a bonus anyway... Activating all 11 lasers will put you at around 400-450 puzzles solved, when there's supposed to be 650 in the game. So... Yeah, bit more than a bonus :p

When you activated the seven lasers they
opened plates on that box to allow you to draw a line, yeah? Well, sensibly, the energy from the other lasers would also go to that box too, huh?

I give up.

Can someone tell me the solution for the right door under the windmill? I solved the left door but the right one I just can't.

As far as I know, it's not possible to solve that one. I'd love to be proven wrong but I just can't see any other way to place the Tetris shapes that would allow it to be possible. Still, an unsolvable panel seems odd for a game like this...

Holy crap I may have just had an idea I need to run to that panel now.

YES, IT WORKED! IT IS SOLVABLE! IT'S COMPLETELY POINTLESS BUT I DID IT! Because it's completely pointless anyway I don't mind sharing a solution, here.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I know what you mean. Once the black and white stars got introduced it really threw me off for a while and for the longest time I thought that the game was breaking its own rules.

I think I've seen those on a panel I threw the towel in on earlier. Figured they'd have their own rules to go by.

I honestly didn't fully grasp the black and white cube mechanic until I went through the "greenhouse" area. Have you been there yet?

Not yet! I've only been to about half of the biomes so far, so I'll head over there and see if it can't help me figure out where I've gone wrong.

Apologies if this has already been asked, but how would you folks rank the areas in terms of difficulty? I'd like to hear different perspectives on this. I've only got 3
lasers
activated, so I don't feel like I've seen much. So far I'd say, from easiest to hardest:
It's hard to place a strict label on them, since some draw bits from other areas, and some areas can take longer to initially 'get' than another but be really simple after that. So instead I'll group them into "reasonable":
symmetry peninsula, the quarry, the redtree temple, the rainforest, the autumn woods, the greenhouse, the treehouses, and the colorswamp
and "less reasonable":
the desertbeach, the castle/fort and the town
. And then of course, for end/postgame stuff, the "why":
the youknowwhere
. Unfortunately those still blend together a bit but that's pretty close to a classification.

It gets better.

YES, IT WORKED! IT IS SOLVABLE! IT'S COMPLETELY POINTLESS BUT I DID IT!
Such unsubstantiated mirth :p

jett

D-Member
Straight answers aren't fun! And it's a bit more than just a bonus anyway... Activating all 11 lasers will put you at around 400-450 puzzles solved, when there's supposed to be 650 in the game. So... Yeah, bit more than a bonus :p

When you activated the seven lasers they
opened plates on that box to allow you to draw a line, yeah? Well, sensibly, the energy from the other lasers would also go to that box too, huh?

Yeah I actually got it before this post. Thanks though, it was a cute thing the game had. :p

Now I'm stuck with his triangular bullshit which I have no clue how to work with.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
As far as I know, it's not possible to solve that one. I'd love to be proven wrong but I just can't see any other way to place the Tetris shapes that would allow it to be possible. Still, an unsolvable panel seems odd for a game like this...

Holy crap I may have just had an idea I need to run to that panel now.

I looked and got a solution from reddit. The
black dots
contributes nothing to the puzzle so why put them there in the first place? I think that's why sometimes I hate this game.

Yeah I actually got it before this post. Thanks though, it was a cute thing the game had. :p

Now I'm stuck with his triangular bullshit which I have no clue how to work with.

Have you found any of the triangle panels before? That one may be a bit hard to do without prior knowledge, so I'd explore and find some of the easier triangle panels to practice and experiment on. There's no tutorial though, so you have to figure them out on your own.

If you need a pointer to one, check out the starting walled garden area.
One of the puzzles can be solved a second way, just where does that cable go?

I looked and got a solution from reddit. The
black dots
contributes nothing to the puzzle so why put them there in the first place? I think that's why sometimes I hate this game.

Well, it's easy to tell from the start that they don't do anything since there's no white dots anyway. I guess it's just to throw you off in the end, though all this time I had been refusing to realize the Tetris shapes could be rearranged that way and still touch the corners.

Too bad that it's worthless as the left door is easy enough anyways, and in the end all it does is
lead out to the town
:p

Actually, it's interesting, disregarding on my aborted new game when I ignored that door completely, I last tried solving it a while back before I fully grasped the Tetris shapes and was able to easily visualize them. Now though, when I put my mind to it, the solution came to me almost immediately. It's not just a revelation, it's showing how much I've learned to be able to understand these puzzles... I guess that's The Witness in a nutshell right there.

ultrazilla

Bought the game on PS4. I was originally going to wait for the price to come down but after reading Jon's comments on the rampant piracy of the game, I wanted to send some love his way.

No regrets. It's an amazing looking game and very fun figuring out the puzzles. One of the first times that I had the entire family(wife and both my sons 12 and 15) all sitting around the tv and PS4 watching and playing together. My wife was even jumping in saying "oh...wait, that goes that way"! and commenting on how beautiful the game was.

We already have a couple theories on what the "bigger story" of the game is
the player is in purgatory? or is he in the garden of eden? the player is dying and seeing images of his life? the strange statues, dog? man juggling? where they some how part of his life?

Anyways, fantastic game. We're still fairly new into the game and at the part just after the dock area.

sappyday

I am completely stuck. Like even the game doesn't let me go anywhere else. Im at the
swamp like area I guess? The place where the puzzles involve the yellow square shapes in them and you have to make the shapes. Sorry if I'm describing it wrong but basically this puzzle here https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ8uIfHUAAA2g7b.jpg:large 8 really don't want to look up a guide because you can easily ruin the whole game that way. But I have no idea what to do. I'll let myself have this one.

Help wanted

It didn't take long to address the new thing that unlocked...

Now to figure out what it did.

Edit: Oh, this first thing I see doesn't bode well.

I still do not understand the Tetris puzzles, and no words will help me understand.

I would pay money for a YT video that explains the logic behind them but does not spoil.

rje

So I have all 11 lasers unlocked and I finished the game with 429+45. But i can't figure out where to go next?

(endgame spoilers)
I see the guy right before the final elevator has a panel but it's off, and the line seems to go up to the cube all the way at the top of the mountain? But I can't seem to find anything that would power that line on. Any tips?

jett

D-Member
Have you found any of the triangle panels before? That one may be a bit hard to do without prior knowledge, so I'd explore and find some of the easier triangle panels to practice and experiment on. There's no tutorial though, so you have to figure them out on your own.

If you need a pointer to one, check out the starting walled garden area.
One of the puzzles can be solved a second way, just where does that cable go?

Yeah I go it, thanks.
There sure are a lot of tetris block puzzles. A lot. Damn. Not sure if there are 200-worth of puzzles in there tho.

Oh come on, use spoiler tags.

Sorry bro, didn't think it was a big deal. I marked it for future reference.

So I have all 11 lasers unlocked and I finished the game with 429+45. But i can't figure out where to go next?

(endgame spoilers)
I see the guy right before the final elevator has a panel but it's off, and the line seems to go up to the cube all the way at the top of the mountain? But I can't seem to find anything that would power that line on. Any tips?

You have to activate all 11 lasers. Remember the statue holding the box when you entered the mountain? Look at it again as you're walking down the steps.. the slider continues further down to the underside of the box, with another end point. This activates the panel you mentioned.

Can someone just give me the solution to this puzzle. I never wanted to flat out ask for it, but the vagueness of the Tetris puzzles is hurting me. I left the swamp to get away from them, but now they are back.

http://i.imgur.com/msLHN3Q.jpg

I think if I could solve this it would unlock something in my brain to help me understand the concept as a whole.

Yeah I go it, thanks.
There sure are a lot of tetris block puzzles. A lot. Damn. Not sure if there are 200-worth of puzzles in there tho.

Sorry bro, didn't think it was a big deal. I marked it for future reference.

Yes, I'm wondering that myself.
I actually think someone else in here says they have around 550 solved but don't know how to find the other 100. I assume that solving the panels in this cave will reveal more exits though, after all there's got to be tunnels that lead to under the windmill and the desert temple since those have closed off doors that open on the other side.

Can someone just give me the solution to this puzzle. I never wanted to flat out ask for it, but the vagueness of the Tetris puzzles is hurting me. I left the swamp to get away from them, but now they are back.

I think if I could solve this it would unlock something in my brain to help me understand the concept as a whole.

Make the shape of the smaller -- around the ---, go down and outline the smaller shape. make sure the two purple things are seperate from the tetris outlines.

Hope that makes sense, its how i did it.

Mindlog

(endgame spoilers)
Hint: You already figured it out.
No spoiler necessary :]

Try mentally switching the two tetris blocks and outlining them (starting from the right)

Despera

Banned
If you don't fully understand the logic behind a new type of puzzle even after somehow managing to solve the tutorial panels, just go back to 'em and keep experimenting with other solutions that seem valid to you, and you'll eventually figure it out.

I first did this with the
slanted tetris pieces

Makai

http://i.imgur.com/CY0ecZH.jpg

tumblr_narpn7g0YM1qk6k4do2_500.gif

I see the four shapes. I guess I have to find a configuration that can be mirrored on a 5x5 grid.

Dominator

I made a fun little video of a cool scene relatively early on in the game. So mild spoiler warning! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQp-KSmwT8
Holy shit this is incredible. I think I woke up my entire house because I was laughing so hard!

When he was talking about money and you looked around the floor I started cracking up. Then at the end when he pointed out and you looked behind you I was in tears, oh my god.

Already shared on Twitter, hope this vid blows up lol

Exuro

Here's the basic idea for the tetris puzzles. Made up an example puzzle as to not give anything away

red is the grid and blue is the line you would draw.

http://i.imgur.com/cxhtZ79.jpg

If the above doesn't help enough, the idea is to make an outline of the tetris shape such that one of the tiles in the tetris shaped outline has the pattern. One thing you can do is use the outer part of the grid a line, as seen in the left side of the 3 piece, as well as the top part of the 4 piece.

In case you still haven't figured it out, here's the straight up solution.

Spoiler for puzzle solution in treehouse area
http://i.imgur.com/brUdN4o.jpg

Notice how
neither the longer and shorter blocks are touching their "home" squares? They can do that as long as they're in the same outlined "region".

jett

D-Member
I actually think someone else in here says they have around 550 solved but don't know how to find the other 100. I assume that solving the panels in this cave will reveal more exits though, after all there's got to be tunnels that lead to under the windmill and the desert temple since those have closed off doors that open on the other side.

Just read that
the total puzzle number Blow once mentioned includes the environmental ones.

Finished the game with 437 puzzles+94, all 11 lasers activated. Probably close to 30-35 hours for completion time.

Still haven't found the
entrance to the secret underground area you can see from the video room
Probably just going to look it up, running out of steam on exploring as I've been over almost every inch of this island now.

Dominator

This is very spoiler heavy so don't click unless you've pretty much done everything:

FUCK THIS MUSIC TIMER SHIT I CAN'T FUCKING DO IT. FUCK! I paused a decent way in to go to the bathroom and it FUCKING RESET GOD DAMMIT

Alright, well, barring some fantastical event happening overnight, I guess I'm done. I seem to have hit the 'max' amount of things doable according to everyone.
523+135+6, all audio logs

There were one or two minor things that still stuck out to me, but I don't think they serve any purpose(no real spoilers, just concepts. don't read if you're not 'done'):
some of the clouds near the horizon from the mountain side looked like they could potentially form a +, but I couldn't find any spots that worked, and I was up and down the whole mountain several times looking for something else, so I doubt I missed a spot. The darkish part of the water's horizon kind of bothers me too, but I boated around the entire island and nothing. The last thing was this, but again, couldn't really find anything. I know there were some strangely shaped things placed all around that didn't really serve any purpose other than to throw you off the real stuff, but those seemed too grandiose to me. The lack of stuff pertaining to the giant wilted tree between the quarry and beach, and a few other 'monumental' things kind of weirded me out too, but I don't want to be one of those Shakespeare doubters, so tomorrow I'm going back to tracing a different kind of trail in the sky.

Make the shape of the smaller -- around the ---, go down and outline the smaller shape. make sure the two purple things are seperate from the tetris outlines.

Hope that makes sense, its how i did it.

Try mentally switching the two tetris blocks and outlining them (starting from the right)

Here's the basic idea for the tetris puzzles. Made up an example puzzle as to not give anything away

red is the grid and blue is the line you would draw.

http://i.imgur.com/cxhtZ79.jpg

If the above doesn't help enough, the idea is to make an outline of the tetris shape such that one of the tiles in the tetris shaped outline has the pattern. One thing you can do is use the outer part of the grid a line, as seen in the left side of the 3 piece, as well as the top part of the 4 piece.

In case you still haven't figured it out, here's the straight up solution.

Spoiler for puzzle solution in treehouse area
http://i.imgur.com/brUdN4o.jpg

Notice how
neither the longer and shorter blocks are touching their "home" squares? They can do that as long as they're in the same outlined "region".

Thanks all. I solved that puzzle, and quickly solved the next one after it. Something clicked, I think I have got a better grip on them than I did 15 minutes ago. For whatever reason I find the Tetris puzzles a huge chore whilst all the other puzzle types are more instinctual. Right now I feel I need to put 10 times more thought into solving them than others - I hope that changes with time as I start to better understand the logic.

The highest number I heard so far was
523, totaling up to 664 if you count the + puzzles.

jett

D-Member
Does anyone have a list of the
locations of the boxes that unlock videos beneath the mill? I got four and I'm pretty sure I found a fifth one but at the time I didn't realize you could open them. I imagine the sixth is behind the shipwreck puzzle? And is there anything to those videos anyway?

Phatcorns

Yes, yes it is.

Remember you can group the tetris-blocks together, and once they're in a group, you can move the around, as long as they still fit the spaces you're putting them in. That's the secret to them shits.

Thanks for the help, I actually figured it out without looking at your hint by looking back at the previous puzzles!

To those who are stuck, I also recommend going back to the puzzles that introduce the concept so you can really get it down. You will be happy you didn't read any hints!

LauriPoika

Neo Member
lmfao

I feel like this version gets the point of The Witness across more than the
video Jonathan Blow chose

Holy shit this is incredible. I think I woke up my entire house because I was laughing so hard!

When he was talking about money and you looked around the floor I started cracking up. Then at the end when he pointed out and you looked behind you I was in tears, oh my god.

Already shared on Twitter, hope this vid blows up lol

Hahah, thanks a lot!

Top Bottom