• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

sappyday

Thanks for the help, I actually figured it out without looking at your hint by looking back at the previous puzzles!

To those who are stuck, I also recommend going back to the puzzles that introduce the concept so you can really get it down. You will be happy you didn't read any hints!

I want to go to the earlier ones but the bridge moved and now I'm stuck in that area. Solving the puzzle on the bridge won't move it back.

F311

For anyone who's finished the game: i think I'm right at the end, my question is if I finish it, can I still play and go get a trophy I'm missing?

McFadge

Does anyone have a list of the
locations of the boxes that unlock videos beneath the mill? I got four and I'm pretty sure I found a fifth one but at the time I didn't realize you could open them. I imagine the sixth is behind the shipwreck puzzle? And is there anything to those videos anyway?

Not sure of a list, but there's definitely more to the videos than just watching them.

Also, pro tip, but maybe a spoiler:
once you've drawn it in, a panel lights up. You can draw this panel to track through the video.

Mi goreng

How does one get the + puzzles in the maze, i can't seem to get the right perspective anywhere? The only place high enough is the tower but there are still parts blocking the view

Does anyone have a list of the
locations of the boxes that unlock videos beneath the mill? I got four and I'm pretty sure I found a fifth one but at the time I didn't realize you could open them. I imagine the sixth is behind the shipwreck puzzle? And is there anything to those videos anyway?

Heavy Spoilers:
Vault at the Beginning
Door on the Coast of the Desert
Gate behind Monastery
Shipwreck
Cave in the Mountain
Beating 'The Challenge'

How does one get the + puzzles in the maze, i can't seem to get the right perspective anywhere? The only place high enough is the tower but there are still parts blocking the view

Try to see the path you'll make from the tower instead of going back and forth to check.

So continuing my insane stupid story, like I said I restarted the game at 177 puzzles +1 in annoyance over the Tetris stuff. Now I'm at 144 +4 and I think I actually get all the mechanics that have been thrown at me.

Neat.

Stoze

This game is driving me nuts. I barely made any progress today.

Regarding the ship area:

The red panel in there (which I assume gives me another tape) is fucking insane. I've spent probably 3x as much time on that one panel than any other panel or panel set in the game. I feel like I could be completely misunderstanding something even though I have everything in the game taught to me at this point.

Don't want any help, just want to vent about it and curious if anyone else had a hard time there. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

There's the simplest tetris puzzle by the monastery, first one on a panel of 5 or 6. It's just a single slanted tetris shape (the "squashed sideways T"). I have no idea how to solve it. I've
made the tetris shape
and it still says "nope". What am I doing wrong?!

I really like this game, even more now that it's not causing me physical discomfort anymore (after I adjusted FOV).

I like the logic puzzles, but the perspective stuff is getting on my nerves. I stopped in the desert in
the water filled room
bullshit. Loved the swamp because every other puzzle threw me off with a new twist, but the moment you finally get it is so good.

There's the simplest tetris puzzle by the monastery, first one on a panel of 5 or 6. It's just a single slanted tetris shape (the "squashed sideways T"). I have no idea how to solve it. I've
made the tetris shape
and it still says "nope". What am I doing wrong?!

That one is anything but simple. Come back when you understand the other symbol on the board

This game is driving me nuts. I barely made any progress today.

Regarding the ship area:

The red panel in there (which I assume gives me another tape) is fucking insane. I've spent probably 3x as much time on that one panel than any other panel or panel set in the game. I feel like I could be completely misunderstanding something even though I have everything in the game taught to me at this point.

Don't want any help, just want to vent about it and curious if anyone else had a hard time there. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Don't want to give a hint about the solution, but this panel is evil because it plays into one of your assumptions

Any reason not to beat the game right away at 7 lasers? I can still come back right

Yeah, you can. Just reload your last save after beating the ending. I also
recommend you really take a look around on your way back

saunderez

I want to go to the earlier ones but the bridge moved and now I'm stuck in that area. Solving the puzzle on the bridge won't move it back.
I know what you're referring to and without revealing too much
maybe you're solving the puzzle the wrong way. Think about the solution and what happened the first time you solved it.
If you want me to be more blatant let me know.

Wok

I love the emotion in that picture.

eePPPt0.png

Not really a spoiler since I don't think it is bound to a puzzle (not that I know).

Kaisos

Couple questions:

1) what's with the white flowers everywhere? Are they part of a collection hunt, or...

2) the house next to the church in the village, with the flowers on the side...
I can get into its basement, but I have no idea what to do there. Are those panels explained elsewhere?

JP

Aaaaah, this is amazing...I hate it so much.

In a year with The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Horizon, GT Sport, Gravity Rush 2, The Tomorrow Children, No Man's Sky and about a million other games, could I already be playing what could well be my game of the year...with eleven months to go?

Colorblind here.

http://i.imgur.com/Cm8a96u.jpg

Does this puzzle contain 5 blue stars, or some combination of blue and purple? If they're not all the same color, which ones are different?
There's a combination of blue and purple.

It's:
WWWW
YYBR
XXBR
PPPR

Hope that's legible, I used X as shorthand for Black, B for blue.

Before we talk about any of this,
you are missing something learned from another area.
Damn, you're right.
this could prove hard if you're colorblind though.

Possibly stupid question (trees, not treehouse, puzzles spoilers):

So the after doing the sound puzzles you're lead into the bamboo area, I opened the cave door and discovered what I believe is a tutorial. Is that it for this area? Is it not possible to "finish" it?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Please help me, this is driving me nuts. What am I missing with this one? I'm sure it's super simple; pretty early in the game.

UznryTl.jpg

I came across a tough tetris puzzle in the quarry, so I whipped out a notebook and pen and let me tell you....visualizing the blocks on paper is a massive help and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's struggling with these puzzles.

Next step: acquire some graph paper this weekend!

Please help me, this is driving me nuts. What am I missing with this one? I'm sure it's super simple; pretty early in the game.

UznryTl.jpg

Recall both sets of puzzles that led you to that open door...

The poster above me basically gave you the exact solution, so read mine first, then use his if you're still stuck.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I figured it out off of your first hint. Thank you, that was perfect. I spent a day off from the game so I forgot the previous puzzle's mechanics.

Whew! Thanks again. That's been bothering my for a while now.

Stoze

Around 45 hours in on PS4 and I just realized you can hold R2 to speed up drawing lines. Derp. You would think it would be the run button, but no.

falz3333

Neo Member
+puzzles spoiler:
I just did the one where you have to use the boat to connect two girders in the water behind the maze area. I feel like a super cool dude for figuring that one out. I was so surprised to find out you can make the boat drive even when you aren't on it. :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can someone tell me if I need to use
both patterns for this puzzle, or just the closest one.

This one is probably easier than I think it is. The other one that's bugging me is the final one in the Japanese house. I've been staring at that one for ages.
there's a beginning and end branch, but no middle argh

Around 45 hours in on PS4 and I just realized you can hold R2 to speed up drawing lines. Derp. You would think it would be the run button, but no.

For some reason for me, at some point, I just began thinking R2 was L2 instead and thinking it was going faster. Nope, placebo effect, haha.

Can someone tell me if I need to use
both patterns for this puzzle, or just the closest one.

This one is probably easier than I think it is. The other one that's bugging me is the final one in the Japanese house. I've been staring at that one for ages.

This one stumped a lot of people but the key is
it's only one pattern - take a look around and you'll see.
Now that I see it again in retrospect there's a pretty big clue I took some time to figure out.

Stoze

For some reason for me, at some point, I just began thinking R2 was L2 instead and thinking it was going faster. Nope, placebo effect, haha.

Haha. The core speed is fine for like 95% of the puzzles, but admittedly there's moments where some speed would be nice, so I would move further away to solve puzzles so the line would move quicker. Now I feel silly.

cyba89

I probably played too much The Witness in the last few days because now I start to see The Witness puzzles in the real world.

wutwutwut

Well, beat the game with all 11 lasers unlocked and
5 audio logs
. I'm proud to not have looked at any hints.

The last few puzzles were brutal.

Now for the
post game stuff in the caves.j

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Beat it yesterday, now doing the certain challenge part. It's funny how this really is the Dark Souls of puzzle games, it just gives me the same feels: I regularly find myself thinking about how to beat certain puzzles, the story is somewhat burried beneath little details
(especially the audio logs in the underground tunnels!)
, game is hard as hell but giving me a really good time. It's amazing what Blow has accomplished, such a brilliant designer. I think everyone should give this game a shot, even if they don't like puzzlers.

sappyday

Finally understand the tetris puzzles. I honestly would've been stuck if they didn't read some of the tips in this thread. I'm just glad I was able to solve them by myself.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This one stumped a lot of people but the key is
it's only one pattern - take a look around and you'll see.
Now that I see it again in retrospect there's a pretty big clue I took some time to figure out.

Thanks for keeping the hint very vague fellow countryman, because I just figured it out. Just to check if my reasoning was correct:
The pattern is there, you just need to move it. I moved the starting lines over to the right side, where I could connect the part on the metal plate. Then I moved the finish part over to the left, and bam.

This was one of the coolest ones to figure out, I want this a ha erlebnis in the japanese house too

Thanks for keeping the hint very vague fellow countryman, because I just figured it out. Just to check if my reasoning was correct:
The pattern is there, you just need to move it. I moved the starting lines over to the right side, where I could connect the part on the metal plate. Then I moved the finish part over to the left, and bam.

This was one of the coolest ones to figure out, I want this a ha erlebnis in the japanese house too

Yeah, exactly, and
to hint at that, the stand of the puzzle is crooked.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So this was rated for Xbox one, but it has no current plans for release on the one? Is it a timed exclusive?

Top Bottom