• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

So this was rated for Xbox one, but it has no current plans for release on the one? Is it a timed exclusive?

Blow said they currently have no plans to release it on XB1 but they went ahead and rated it just in case, so they don't have to deal with it later. I really hope it comes to XB1 (and eventually NX, perhaps?) because everyone needs to have access to this game.

This game is great. Activated the S
hady
T
rees
laser yesterday. When I realized that the theme was
shadows,
I was afraid that it would be finicky in a similar way as D
esert
R
uins
, but it wasn't nearly as bad. Pretty fun in the end. I got stuck on the last puzzle for a while, before I figured out that
you could open both gates.
Other than that, it was smooth sailing.

Then I found a
boat
and figured out a new symbol (the one the game teaches you in the area in between the D
esert
R
uin
and S
hady
T
rees
. That was really fun to figure out. I managed to solve quite a few panels with a slight misunderstanding of how it worked, so that was a rude awakening, when the method I thought I should be using didn't work anymore. Going back and questioning my old assumption to finally figure out the true rule was a lot of fun. Couldn't complete the area though, as I later ran into other symbols that I need to learn somewhere else.

cyba89

Post-endgame spoilers
Solved the colored one in the cave. This mirrored tetrimon panel in the cave is the only panel left of the ones I found and I'm starting to think it's just impossible. Stuck on this one for like 3 hours already.
There are still 7 panels I have not found yet.

Can someone please explain
the broken cable in the green and blue botany room

Just a hint please

You mean the elevator?

If so:

Look at the color of the room above the one you're in. Now look at the colors of the three cubes in the top right corner of the puzzle. What do you think would happen to those if you were on the floor above you?

Here's another hint:

Go down to the "purple" floor and see what happens to the blue cubes when you go up one more floor

If this isn't the puzzle you're on, my apologies.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
some puzzles from the
treehouse
area are driving me nuts. There's either some rules I didn't get yet, or I'm just being an idiot. Can someone help with this one, for example?

edit, and of course i just got it, damnit.

edit holy fuck those next ones. fuck that

BeeDog

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH, yet another puzzle is driving me insane, it should be easy but I can't find the answer.

Late-game spoilers:
It's inside the first big chamber in the mountain, inside the pile of rubble in the middle of the room. You have two four-square tetris block which you have to draw up, all th while separating white/black squares.

Any hints?

EDIT: Nevermind, solved it...!

BraXzy

I am in awe at some of the + puzzles I'm finding.

Specifically on the boat near the starting area.
There are FIVE on the side of the Castle alone. It's insane. Two along the edges of the walls, two the same but in the reflection of the water and one in some moss. So so so so so clever. Just when I think I've seen it all in this game...

Robiin

Can someone help me with areas. I have trophies for 9 of then, just completed the bullshit perspective Desert Ruin area. Least favorite by far.

I know I'm missing
The Town
, and I have trophies for

Quarry
Treeshouses
Bunker
Marsh (Swamp)
Monastery
Shady Trees
Keep
Symmentry
Desert Ruin

Which other one is there?

some puzzles from the
treehouse
area are driving me nuts. There's either some rules I didn't get yet, or I'm just being an idiot. Can someone help with this one, for example?

edit, and of course i just got it, damnit.

edit holy fuck those next ones. fuck that
I have no idea how, but I flew past the whole
treehouse
area, the rules just clicked and solving all those bridges went by quickly. The only thing that really threw me off were
changing the bridges. I didn't even see the multiple exits on the panels.

jett

D-Member
Heavy Spoilers:
Vault at the Beginning
Door on the Coast of the Desert
Gate behind Monastery
Shipwreck
Cave in the Mountain
Beating 'The Challenge'

Try to see the path you'll make from the tower instead of going back and forth to check.

Thanks man. I guess I didn't really have a fifth one. :p
Do you have to do EVERY puzzle in the mountain caves to get "the challenge"?

Can someone help me with areas. I have trophies for 9 of then, just completed the bullshit perspective Desert Ruin area. Least favorite by far.

I know I'm missing
The Town
, and I have trophies for

Quarry
Treeshouses
Bunker
Marsh (Swamp)
Monastery
Shady Trees
Keep
Symmentry
Desert Ruin

Which other one is there?

I have no idea how, but I flew past the whole
treehouse
area, the rules just clicked and solving all those bridges went by quickly. The only thing that really threw me off were
changing the bridges. I didn't even see the multiple exits on the panels.
You're missing
Jungle

Razorback

Huge spoilers, (I think?)

I just started playing the game and I...
already finished it? 30 minutes, I was exploring the garden right at the start and I noticed that the sun and the gate aligned, and then I went to a place outside the island with audio logs about the developers, and then a really strange video played of someone waking up in the real world. Uh what??

Did I just ruin the game for myself?

cyba89

already finished it? 30 minutes, I was exploring the garden right at the start and I noticed that the sun and the gate aligned, and then I went to a place outside the island with audio logs about the developers, and then a really strange video played of someone waking up in the real world. Uh what??

You found the secret ending early, but it's nothing that ruins the game.

FelipeMGM

One thing I havent figured out yet is what those
white boards are for. The ones who have no connection to other panels and have yellow arrows on them, they are just scattered across the island.
I've done a bunch of them already

And Im in
308+15 with 8 lasers. Should I go to the end now?

*Splinter

I wouldn't say you ruined it... You've still got the entire game to play and nothing is spoiled.

I guess that area is the equivalent of clicking
view crrdits
. Yeah you wouldn't usually see them until the end but they don't spoil anything

Just got end game trophy. Quick question:
Is there any reason to start a new game, I have a bunch of puzzles left on my previous playthrough and I was just treated with a start a new game screen? I would much rather if nothing changes load my earlier save and continue with the + puzzles and finish what I heave left in "town" and "quarry" .

*Splinter

white boards are for. The ones who have no connection to other panels and have yellow arrows on them, they are just scattered across the island
.I have done a bunch of them already

And Im in
You can do,
there is no reason to delay the end
. After it plays out you just reload the last save, go back the way you came and continue with whatever you missed

cyba89

white boards are for. The ones who have no connection to other panels and have yellow arrows on them, they are just scattered across the island
I have done a bunch of them already

Think of them as
tutorial panels for later.
Try to understand the rule of these symbols.

And Im in

Yes you can. You can still do the other stuff after you saw the ending.

There's the simplest tetris puzzle by the monastery, first one on a panel of 5 or 6. It's just a single slanted tetris shape (the "squashed sideways T"). I have no idea how to solve it. I've
made the tetris shape
and it still says "nope". What am I doing wrong?!

Huh? Where is that one? Can't find a single Tetris puzzle at the Monastery.

Or did you mean the ones in the town?

*Splinter

Just got end game trophy. Quick question:
Is there any reason to start a new game, I have a bunch of puzzles left on my previous playthrough and I was just treated with a start a new game screen? I would much rather if nothing changes load my earlier save and continue with the + puzzles and finish what I heave left in "town" and "quarry" .
Yes definitely load the last save, there should be one in the
lift

Starting to think the "ending" of this game is really badly handled. It throws so many people off

Tunahead

I found a door on the beach next to the desert ruins. Behold:

http://i.imgur.com/uF0XeuD.jpg

It has completely baffled me. I know what those dots do, and I know what tetrominos do, and I know what the blue boxes do, but I'm just not seeing a solution, or indeed even the possibility that a solution I'm not seeing could even be possible.

I tried looking at the puzzle through colored glass, and at an angle. I attempted a drive-by shooting on the puzzle from a boat. I tried turning my back on the puzzle and seeing if it responded to reverse psychology. I smelled the puzzle, and I touched the puzzle, and I drew the crude blocky outline of a dog on the puzzle. I licked the puzzle, and it tasted like a computer monitor. I tried listening to the puzzle, and singing to the puzzle, and taking the puzzle on a date to a fun faire hall of mirrors, and the puzzle and I are very much in love now. A solution, however, still eludes me.

HALP

Yes definitely load the last save, there should be one in the
lift

Starting to think the "ending" of this game is really badly handled. It throws so many people off
Okey, thanks! This has proven to be one of my favourite games of all time so no hard feeling towards the game.
The ending just had me a bit puzzled (no pun intended), since the game seems about unsolving the mystery of the island and you're just left with a start-a-new-game screen. But if there is nothing new to be discovered in new game, I'll go back and continue from where I left off.

*Splinter

It has completely baffled me. I know what those dots do, and I know what tetrominos do, and I know what the blue boxes do, but I'm just not seeing a solution, or indeed even the possibility that a solution I'm not seeing could even be possible.

I tried looking at the puzzle through colored glass, and at an angle. I attempted a drive-by shooting on the puzzle from a boat. I tried turning my back on the puzzle and seeing if it responded to reverse psychology. I smelled the puzzle, and I touched the puzzle, and I drew the crude blocky outline of a dog on the puzzle. I licked the puzzle, and it tasted like a computer monitor. I tried listening to the puzzle, and singing to the puzzle, and taking the puzzle on a date to a fun faire hall of mirrors, and the puzzle and I are very much in love now. A solution, however, still eludes me.

HALP
1. The pieces are too far apart, so I'm pretty sure you can't combine them all.

2. You have 4 blue blocks, so they could cancel the 4-block tetronimo completely. Again I think it's all too spread out for anything else to be possible.

3. That just leaves the 3-piece block. It can be rotated, but has to pass through its marker. If it lies flush against the wall yo won't be able to pick up the dots behind it, so that only leaves one possible position for this block.

Now you just need to find a path that hits every point and satisfies these restrictions.

Robiin

Palette Swap above said I should head to the jungle. I have no idea how to get there. I have solved every panel in 9 areas so far, but I literally can't see an entrance to the jungle. Never even been there, and I have played for probably 20 hours...

jett

D-Member

HALP

One of the tetriminos has four blocks. There are four delete-blocks. Is that enough of a hint? :p

*Splinter

Palette Swap above said I should head to the jungle. I have no idea how to get there. I have solved every panel in 9 areas so far, but I literally can't see an entrance to the jungle. Never even been there, and I have played for probably 20 hours...
Head out the back of the monastery (towards the sea), the jungle is on your left, but the first puzzle might be tricky to find

IndustryX

You mean the elevator?

If so:

Look at the color of the room above the one you're in. Now look at the colors of the three cubes in the top right corner of the puzzle. What do you think would happen to those if you were on the floor above you?

Here's another hint:

Go down to the "purple" floor and see what happens to the blue cubes when you go up one more floor

If this isn't the puzzle you're on, my apologies.

Thank you I solved it after hours of extreme over thinking lol

You know what's a better way? Experimentation. Most people solve a tutorial puzzle and move on to the next one. The correct way is to mess around with them and try many different things. Most tutorial panels have multiple pass and multiple fail conditions. Seeing different scenarios pass and different scenarios fail is how you learn.

Words are provably less effective at reinforcing concepts and improving understanding than exploration and experimentation
Yeah, one of the first things I do with one of the simple tutorial panels where there are only three or four possible paths is draw all of them to see what happens, even if I "solved" it the first time. The entire game is Blow trying to teach you the joy of the scientific method.

Robiin

Head out the back of the monastery (towards the sea), the jungle is on your left, but the first puzzle might be tricky to find
Thanks, had to go but I'll try to remember. I literally took the boat two laps around the island to see if there was somewhere I hadn't been.

Top Bottom