• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Servbot24

Banned
In the color building,
is it possible to get higher in the elevator once you get to the floor where the cable is broken?
Just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time figuring that one out.

Step back and assess the situation. Move around at all angles. You'll figure it out.

It's irritating me,
because I can see a clear outline of the route to take, but the length of each line is unclear, and any variation of lengths does not work.

This is one of those puzzles where the novelty of the solution is ruined by poor modelling.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm feel entirely stumped; I usually enjoy puzzle games but this has got me tearing my hair right now.

Basically I don't know where to start. I got past the first part easily, by the beach, and then I got to some ruins in the sand. And I don't know what the hell to do. I can't seem to find any clues how to solve the panel, and when I'm running around the island I encounter more panels to which I don't know the rules at all. I managed to get past by a bunch, but honestly I don't know why or how.

It's irritating me,
because I can see a clear outline of the route to take, but the length of each line is unclear, and any variation of lengths does not work.

This is one of those puzzles where the novelty of the solution is ruined by poor modelling.

Click this link if you want to see the
perspective you should be looking at the panel from

This essentially gives the solution away though, so only use it as a last resort. It should help you a bit with the next couple puzzles as well.

screenshot

I'm feel entirely stumped; I usually enjoy puzzle games but this has got me tearing my hair right now.

Basically I don't know where to start. I got past the first part easily, by the beach, and then I got to some ruins in the sand. And I don't know what the hell to do. I can't seem to find any clues how to solve the panel, and when I'm running around the island I encounter more panels to which I don't know the rules at all. I managed to get past by a bunch, but honestly I don't know why or how.

For the first desert panel,
try looking at it from different perspectives

Also, if you see symbols you don't understand and you haven't been eased into them yet with simple puzzles, go somewhere else.

Edit - apologies for the double post.

A question about a camouflage panel twist:
directly after the monkey sound twist, on a panel with the layout short-short-short-long, what are you supposed to hear
?

FelipeMGM

You can do,
there is no reason to delay the end
. After it plays out you just reload the last save, go back the way you came and continue with whatever you missed

Think of them as
tutorial panels for later.
Try to understand the rule of these symbols.

Yes you can. You can still do the other stuff after you saw the ending.

Thanks guys!
Gonna wrap this bad boy then

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
For the first desert panel,
try looking at it from different perspectives

Also, if you see symbols you don't understand and you haven't been eased into them yet with simple puzzles, go somewhere else.

Edit - apologies for the double post.

Oh. Well, that was easy. Here I ran around looking for patterns in murals and locations of objects. Doh.

BeeDog

Need some help, starting to feel impaired again.

Big Keep/Castle spoilers:

I am trying to rearrange the floor tile/pressure plate puzzles so I can drag environmental lines from the top of the castle tower. I have nailed the yellow/green/blue pressure plate puzzles, but the purple one is killing me.

Some hints/help there would be appreciated (e.g. what direction to begin with etc.).

In the color building,
is it possible to get higher in the elevator once you get to the floor where the cable is broken?
Just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time figuring that one out.

Huh... ok, thanks. I'm assuming it has to do with the plants, but they're not really lined up in a sensible way with the puzzle..

If you're still stuck, here's a post I made earlier with some hints:

You mean the elevator?

If so:

Look at the color of the room above the one you're in. Now look at the colors of the three cubes in the top right corner of the puzzle. What do you think would happen to those if you were on the floor above you?

Here's another hint:

Go down to the "purple" floor and see what happens to the blue cubes when you go up one more floor

If this isn't the puzzle you're on, my apologies.

I don't remember that animal?

There's several panels with the bird, then there's a panel where the bird is the distraction sound and a monkey or something which provides the solution. The next panel is at the start of a small loopy path, there I hear a bird and some kind of .. flute? But I don't get what you're supposed to hear. That panel is short-short-short-long.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hint 1:

In that screenshot, the solution is right in front of you. Big time

Hint 2:

There are two entrance points on that puzzle. Forget the lower one exists

yeah, i see
the path in the shadows, i'm just having a hard time lining it up with the panel :/

Vexidus

1. I'm playing the game on low on my PC. Is it possible that the lower environment/shadow quality will make some puzzles more difficult/impossible

I am playing with tweaked settings for better performance, and I did find a particular area's puzzles nearly impossible.
in the logging forest, by the quarry. I couldn't even make out any definition of the shadows, they were just a blur and no matter what I did, I couldn't solve even the second panel.
But after I bumped up my shadow resolution from 256 to 512, I blew through the entire area in a matter of minutes.

So yes, if you tweaked your graphics settings just keep that in mind.

Feep

Banned
I solved all shadow puzzles on Low settings, for anyone wondering. I've only been able to play on my Surface Pro 3 until tomorrow.

After being away from the game for two days, I got a good 4 hours into it yesterday and finished off a lot of sections. Feels so good getting over those puzzles that stump you.

Places that are still driving me nuts.

Bamboo -
I have issues telling the difference in pitch and having other noises going off isn't helping any. I'm stuck on the one where there are four notes on the panel but I'm hearing five chirps I'm sure I need to ignore one but I also have no issue just brute forcing it by putting in all possible combinations.

Lattice -
I managed to do the first one, by solving it or just dumb luck, but have no idea what i need to do to solve the next one, I've tried looking at it's shadow and the leaves, looking it from the other side. No clue what the hell is going on. I did manage to solve the lattice that has the hexagon page. I'll gladly take a clue or information on what Im suppose to be looking at.

Abandoned Village -
There are a number off puzzles that are stumping me here, The lattice puzzle: Noticed the broken bits on the back and tried taking the clear path but that isn't it. Bird puzzle in the basement, I'm sure I just need to find the bird. The star puzzle I pretty sure what I need to do here.

But the one that has me most stumped is the windmill puzzle. I noticed the apple branch so I went to the windmill and apple trees. There are four trees, I tried counting the branches, but there are more branches then knots on the windmill puzzle, and if the trees are related to arms of the windmill, what arm goes with what tree? A hint here is also welcomed

Moozo

Are there any good iPad apps that will help with drawing out? Just using Notes at the moment but it doesn't have grids.

Jarsonot

Dipped in for a sec to chat, still full of spoilers and solutions? Wasn't a separate thread made for that?

Is there a guide on how to beat every puzzle yet? Just link that in the OT and let people finish this in a couple days. Good job! You did it!

jett

D-Member
Dipped in for a sec to chat, still full of spoilers and solutions? Wasn't a separate thread made for that?

Is there a guide on how to beat every puzzle yet? Just link that in the OT and let people finish this in a couple days. Good job! You did it!

What do you want to talk about in here then? The last movie you caught on Netflix?

So ummmmm...what would you like to discuss in a thread about The Witness? The weather? What you had for dinner last night?

Nezumi

So, it appears that the game just glitched and I lost about 3 hours and 60 puzzles. Was driving in the boat when I was suddenly standing on the water. I can't seem to go back to the land and when I procede I basically walk of the map entirely. And of course the game made an autosave right after the glitch happened... This is more than a little bit annoying.

*Splinter

Need some help, starting to feel impaired again.

Big Keep/Castle spoilers:

I am trying to rearrange the floor tile/pressure plate puzzles so I can drag environmental lines from the top of the castle tower. I have nailed the yellow/green/blue pressure plate puzzles, but the purple one is killing me.

Some hints/help there would be appreciated (e.g. what direction to begin with etc.).
I can't figure this out either, anyone got a hint/solution?

I did try
standing on the walkway at the back of the keep, and on top of the wall towards the centre,
but that didn't help either.

There's several panels with the bird, then there's a panel where the bird is the distraction sound and a monkey or something which provides the solution. The next panel is at the start of a small loopy path, there I hear a bird and some kind of .. flute? But I don't get what you're supposed to hear. That panel is short-short-short-long.

you follow the "monkey" as you call it. I thought it was not a monkey but still)
After that you follow the flute.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Seriously, keep trying. Even when I was 100% sure of the solution, it still took me a few attempts, because I'd fudge up a small detail here or there.

my issue is that it appears as though the shadow moves through more boxes than are available on the panel.

from the starting point i go left, down, left - as it is already revealed to me

then the shadow looks to go down, left, up, left, down, up but there aren't enough boxes to move to if that reasoning was correct

i'm ready to call it for the solution, if you don't mind

kAmui-

Cannot seem to figure out the white triangle introduced in the Quarry. What am I missing?

I don't understand it 100% but
it takes away one thing from the area that it is enclosed in. So if you draw an area that has that symbol and say a black dot inside, it takes away the black dot and negates it's effects.
That's kind of a poor explanation but I hope you got it.

Any tips on this one from the hub?
Edit: Got it :)

I'll put this in spoilers just in case. Very minor spoilers though, if any.

I personally found this map of all the areas helpful in my progression through the game. There are 11 crucial areas in the game: Symmetry, Desert, Quarry, Logging (aka Shady Trees), Keep, Treehouse, Marsh (aka Swamp), Hub (aka Town/Village), Monastery, Tropical Forest (aka Jungle aka Bamboo Forest) and the building in the south of the Mountain area (Bunker). You need to complete at least 7 of those to reach the final section of the game. "Completing" an area doesn't always require you to solve all puzzles, btw. Some are just bonus or open up shortcuts.

There are basically two types of puzzle panels in the game. 1) Panels with symbols on them. 2) Panels without symbols.

1) There's one introductory area for each of those symbols, teaching you the rules of them. Most of those areas require you to know the rules of at least some symbols in order to complete them. Which means that you'll have to go back and forth between them.

2) Some areas don't involve any symbols, like the Desert for example. Each of those has its own rules and doesn't require any knowledge from other areas to complete them.

samn

Are there any good iPad apps that will help with drawing out? Just using Notes at the moment but it doesn't have grids.

I'm using a free app called You Doodle that lets you draw on top of a photo.

you can make the paint transparent so you can see in the cells behind it. and there's an undo button for quick erase.

Press the icon on the top right, then tap draw on picture, then tap camera.

Top Bottom