• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

If you dont like those simple early tetris puzzles you are going to hate ths game.

So better get to loving them!

You need to fully embrace them and not think of them as some thing you can get buy without fully understanding the exact mechanics. There is a LOT of them and they only get harder.

Well I'm not going to embrace them if I think they're shit.

Didn't feel this way about anything else in the game so far

Well I'm not going to embrace them if I think they're shit.

Didn't feel this way about anything else in the game so far

There's a pretty good chance you'll grow to enjoy them. I felt exactly the same way you do about them right now but I've grown to appreciate them. They can still frustrate me a bit though.

Pull out a notebook or, better yet, some graph paper. You'll be surprised at how much it helps.

There's a pretty good chance you'll grow to enjoy them. I felt exactly the same way you do about them right now but I've grown to appreciate them. They can still frustrate me a bit though.

Pull out a notebook or, better yet, some graph paper. You'll be surprised at how much it helps.

This is part of the problem. I don't have time to be cutting out shapes and making grids to arrange them.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Beat the game late last night with around 510 +80ish and immediately got the secret ending afterwards as well. God damn what a fantastic journey. One of those games that truly makes me proud of this medium. Absolutely worth my time and energy. I will show off this game to friend and family. I'll say look! Look what this amazing medium has to offer. Look at this brilliant level/world design that is second to fucking none. Thank you Mr. Blow and every single person involved in the making of this amazing piece of software...this magic. Thank you!

I especially liked the video clips that were chosen for the windmill theater. Every one of them was right up my alley and I felt like Jonathan was in my freaking head. They really really hit home for me. Seriously, what a fantastic experience overall.

I am a bit stumped in the desert area.

I have worked my way down into a kind of temple and into a room where I have to raise and lower the water level. I have finished all the regular spider web shaped ones, but I am stuck on the large rectangular one at the end, I can only seem to make out half of the pattern, and I think it leaves a lot of combinations left.

Nezumi

Sadly it loads me up on the same place I am, already glitched. Looks like I might be doomed, sadly.

I had the same problem. Posted this a bit before you did. It happened when I wanted to go the optional route down the area with the symmetry puzzles. I was able to load a previous safe but lost like 60 puzzles worth of play time. If you only have that one save I really feel for you, as there doesn't seem to be way to unglitch it.

I am a bit stumped in the desert area.

I have worked my way down into a kind of temple and into a room where I have to raise and lower the water level. I have finished all the regular spider web shaped ones, but I am stuck on the large rectangular one at the end, I can only seem to make out half of the pattern, and I think it leaves a lot of combinations left.

Pretty big hint:

You can find the other half by looking at the panel from another point in the room

RedColumn

After finished yesterday, I keep playing today a little bit:

427 + 17 and
3 videos and the 11 lasers

Is anything special or different happend if you
activate all the 11 lasers?

I think I know where the other
2 videos are... I imaging on the door of the boat and the one on the beach... missing one door though. Maybe the color house on the villige where I still havent solved one puzzle?

is there any
secret places appart of the 11 big laser locations?

And this is not there anymore right? (from the first old trailer)
spwRWP3.png
CuU4Y80.png

I cant find thhis places, any hint?
iA81fW1.png
tj1zmXM.png
aid1Zy3.png

fantomena

Folks, I need serious help with this kind of puzzles. I just simply can't remember how to do them. Big problem is
also they are randomized if I fail.

Edit: Got it.

The Judge

I had the same problem. Posted this a bit before you did. It happened when I wanted to go the optional route down the area with the symmetry puzzles. I was able to load a previous safe but lost like 60 puzzles worth of play time. If you only have that one save I really feel for you, as there doesn't seem to be way to unglitch it.

Thanks for the reply. Glad I was only about 1-2 hours in. How do you make multiple saves? (I dont have PS+ though)

After finished yesterday, I keep playing today a little bit:

427 + 17 and
3 videos and the 11 lasers

Is anything special or different happend if you
activate all the 11 lasers?

I think I know where the other
2 videos are... I imaging on the door of the boat and the one on the beach... missing one door though. Maybe the color house on the villige where I still havent solved one puzzle?

is there any
secret places appart of the 11 big laser locations?

And this is not there anymore right? (from the first old trailer)

I cant find thhis places, any hint?

Without trying to spoil much:
You kinda just finished the first half of the game. Not in puzzle count, just it's what it felt for me

Nezumi

Thanks for the reply. Glad I was only about 1-2 hours in. How do you make multiple saves? (I dont have PS+ though)

Honestly I'm not sure. My husband and I both play on the same account and simply started a new game for the other person. But suddenly, for no reason what so ever the game just made an additional save when we chose load game. It makes keeping track of which save is whose a bit bothersome especially since you can't delete the additional saves, which I guess was rather fortunate in my case.

JerkShep

There's a complex colour puzzle in Town, with three panels and
the possibility to change the colour of the light in the room
. I feel like a crazy person, I'm gone off the deep end for this one and I need a reality check, I might be overthinking this, can someone give me a vague hint?

200 puzzles in. I just finished the one related to the
branch
on the floor in the monastery ... It's the worst one so far. It doesn't follow a system or a ruleset you've seen before, it's just supposed to work their intended way.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I just want to say that the elevator puzzle in the flower building in kinda bullshit.

Having a thought about some of the puzzles on the island which seems to do nothing, thinking about
the one on the top of the keep (maze) tower, the extra under the sun temple and the two color based in the town.

Is my thought correct, or do they do anything. It's kind of frustrating when solving some of he harder puzzles in the game and you get nothing...

branch
on the floor in the monastery ... It's the worst one so far. It doesn't follow a system or a ruleset you've seen before, it's just supposed to work their intended way.

It absolutely follows a consistent ruleset.

. I feel like a crazy person, I'm gone off the deep end for this one and I need a reality check, I might be overthinking this, can someone give me a vague hint?
It is a very complicated puzzle, I would advice to bring a color pallete and a note block!

The "Changing color under different light"-Puzzle in the Town:
Do I have to go back to the Bunker for this or all the hints I need there in that room? I also have no idea what I'm actually supposed to solve here. I managed to turn on the green light, by accident really. No idea if now turning on the red(?) light would do it or if I have to deduce the actual colors under normal light.
And the sound room below: For the left panel, Is it true that you just have to mimic whatever you do on the right panel? I just tried it and it worked but I don't get the logic behind it.

The Town laser would be my 11th. I really wanna get all of them before I finally check out whatever awaits me at that mountain.

jett

D-Member

Note the little changes that happen with each color change. I recommend getting some graph paper for this one. :p

Okay, I'm at one of the VERY LAST puzzles in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/CjwYz0m.jpg

What in the hell. Nothing has prepared me for this.

Am I missing a secret tinted window or something?

You know everything, colors don't matter.

Having a thought about some of the puzzles on the island which seems to do nothing, thinking about
the one on the top of the keep (maze) tower, the extra under the sun temple and the two color based in the town.

Is my thought correct, or do they do anything. It's kind of frustrating when solving some of he harder puzzles in the game and you get nothing...

You only need to solve one of the sides of the Keep (so either one works), and the color room helps for something outside. (though the puzzles themselves are more completionist style, I suppose). Don't know which you're talking about for the sun temple? Is it one extra hexagon panel? Cause I agree with you there.

skynidas

Banned

there are a lot that do nothing. it's fucking weird. you already got into the caves / underground tunnel?

Spoo

Just finished the town. I'm at, like, 288+3, which, by the way, the whole + "thing", I actually accidentally discovered while doing the town area. I'll spoiler the moment:

Was looking out the top of one of the buildings in town, the one with the bell, and noticed that the whole valley wall looked like a puzzle in itself, clicked the "starting point" for shits and giggles, and then everything started glowing and and I was like... wat.... wat....... -- next thing I know, everything was revealed. I have a lot more puzzles to solve lol

Pretty proud of myself so far, other than cheating on one or two puzzles (once because I was completely blind to the mechanic, and the other because it was hard enough and I didn't have a piece of paper on hand to scratch in possible solutions), I've done everything legitimately. There are some puzzles I've solved based on intuition alone that made me feel just great for solving. Now that I'm further in, a lot of my earlier work is paying off and I actually feel like I'm making great progress. I now have, I think 5 lasers done, and quite a bit of work done in other places.

Frankly, it's probably the best puzzle game I feel I've played. The "dark souls" of puzzle games is just completely fucking apt.

there are a lot that do nothing. it's fucking weird. you already got into the caves / underground tunnel?
I don't think I have entered the caves. I have made it to the last of the game, but not entered the (big portion of the) caves that seems to run across the island. My guess at least with the many exits scattered around the place. I don't know really where to look for it.

JerkShep

Note the little changes that happen with each color change. I recommend getting some graph paper for this one. :p

Ok I need to take a break before tackling it,I'm starting to see lines everywhere. At least Town is the last one I have to complete.

Zomba13

Okay, I'm at one of the VERY LAST puzzles in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/CjwYz0m.jpg

What in the hell. Nothing has prepared me for this.

Am I missing a secret tinted window or something?

That one pissed me off so much because I was 100% sure I got it right multiple times and as further proof I looked for a hint and the entire hint I found was "you are right" and it was only when I did it sliiightly different did it open.

You aren't missing anything, everything you need is right there. You should have the correct knowledge at this point too I'm still not really sure why the attempt that worked worked and my other attempts didn't when they were the same thing.

valouris

I am staring at
the white cage on the sea level
, I am at 423+24. I have
found and seen 3 of the films
. I would like to find them all. Is this a point of no return?

Count me in the group that hates these Tetris puzzles. The basic ones, okay those I can get but once you start adding other types of shapes to them I can't grasp the rules in play.

Count me in the group that hates these Tetris puzzles. The basic ones, okay those I can get but once you start adding other types of shapes to them I can't grasp the rules in play.

Just keep doing the tutorial puzzles until you understand things. Fail them intentionally to fully grasp new mechanics.

You only need to solve one of the sides of the Keep (so either one works), and the color room helps for something outside. (though the puzzles themselves are more completionist style, I suppose). Don't know which you're talking about for the sun temple? Is it one extra hexagon panel? Cause I agree with you there.
Yeah I have all the lasers so anything that needs to be done for that is done. Ripped my hair out for the non-main one in keep only to find it "useless" was sad. Completed the two color ones upstairs in town just now so I don't think they were necessary for the lasers. I guess they are just there for the player to have something more complex to think about.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Just keep doing the tutorial puzzles until you understand things. Fail them intentionally to fully grasp new mechanics.

Yeah, going back to the tutorial puzzles and messing around with them can really help. Also, for the tetris ones, getting some graph paper and cutting out pieces to use really helps.

Thanks, just done it, now I'm stuck again in the next room at the
panel that is angled down towards the water lol

If it's the one I'm thinking of
walk around...it's pretty similar to a much earlier puzzle

What ruleset? I mean, I can find other solutions with the same logic.

Using perspective to solve problems (tracing branches in this case, just like the puzzle before it). It's the mechanic used in the entire area. Now, if you're simply referring to the fact that the branch is on the ground, I can see where you're coming from, but at that point, I had learned to look throughout my surroundings if I can't figure something out.

RedColumn

branch

I got the same problem... I did the one on the left, but I cant figure the one on the right.... I already guess what I think is the
real colors
, but even though... I cant sort it!
Question:
is there a black on the bottom left that has to be join with a single black right on the exit?? because it seems impossible if I have to join the magentas from the left and the right! :(

Without trying to spoil much:
You kinda just finished the first half of the game. Not in puzzle count, just it's what it felt for me

Try to spoil me a little bit more :D. I dont know where to look now, unless
the door of the beach and the one on the boat are going to a bigger placer.... I have to be missing a big chunk of puzzles together if I have 427 done... how many are they? Im guessing around 550 and almost 130 pluses?

I glitched out of the boat and not I cant get back to land. Rebooting the game didnt work. Am I stuck on restarting? I hope not.

Protip: dont play around when inside the boat guys, just wait for the ride to end.

Are you on ps or pc? On ps you might be able to download a ps+ cloud save

But the stars figures need to be grouped in pairs, don't they? I only got the one pair.

The stars only need to be paired with something of the same color, so just pair one of them with a box if you're still on it.

Try to spoil me a little bit more :D. I dont know where to look now, unless
the door of the beach and the one on the boat are going to a bigger placer.... I have to be missing a big chunk of puzzles together if I have 427 done... how many are they? Im guessing around 550 and almost 130 pluses?

You know how you unlocked the mountain with 7 lasers? Do that again. So far we've found 520-ish normal panels and 130-ish plus puzzles, so you got some ways to go!

Top Bottom