• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
how could you make a cube out of the shapes you have in order to remove it? what would you have then?

Tried/thought about that for hours, still no clue. I feel like I'm not understanding something vital, because nothing makes sense in theory.

Just poking my head in to say two things:

First, this game is awesome. It feels so good when you figure out some mechanic that has been eluding you.

Second, scrolling quickly through a page of this OT is funny. Probably more blacked out text than not.

protonion

Tried/thought about that for hours, still no clue. I feel like I'm not understanding something vital, because nothing makes sense in theory.

switch the positions of the 2 bottom shapes. They form a 2x2 square in the middle. With the blue square in the middle you get a line. Remember that it removes overlaping squares

Can someone click back through this comment thread and help me pls

Do you want an explanation? Because if so:
See the stand for the panel? It's slanted - the panel was originally two squares to the side, meaning you start from the circle on the side, follow the lights on the panel until they end, then switch to the lights on the board (transition is two wide).

If just a hint:
There's something that says the panel is not where it was supposed to be.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
switch the positions of the 2 bottom shapes. They form a 2x2 square in the middle. With the blue square in the middle you get a line. Remember that it removes overlaping squares

but but but
they'd be 6 squares wide. Like, fuck, if that's how this rule works, I'll never be able to wrap my head around it oh god. And I'm nearing the end of the game lol.

if I don't have to take even basic rules of "how big is the field" into account with this before subtracting the shapes, then this might be where I wave the white flag o.o

aw man

edit: lol@the next one. eff this ;_;

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm stuck on
the last sound puzzle on that big panel that springs up in the forest. Any hints?

Hmm not really if you've gotten the previous ones you should be able to get that one

Oh, right, here's a hint
both patterns you're hearing have five beats, so you can't filter them that way. Only one of them is actually valid with the shapes you're given though

Ansatz

200 puzzles in. I just finished the one related to the
branch
on the floor in the monastery ... It's the worst one so far. It doesn't follow a system or a ruleset you've seen before, it's just supposed to work their intended way.

I just did it.

Check your environment; there is only 1 broken tree branch in the entire inside area

The previous puzzle had branches that led to nowhere on the way to the exit, so be wary of those. It won't simply be a straight path to the exit.

The broken branch had an origin somewhere and it has a specific shape. The idea is to fit it into the overall pattern.

jett

D-Member
The stars only need to be paired with something of the same color, so just pair one of them with a box if you're still on it.

Yah that's what I was trying to do, I thought I did though, I guess not, but I got just before your post, thanks though.
I just started "the challenge." This is both hilarious and terrifying.

Can someone spoil this one for me (town puzzle)?

http://i.imgur.com/Cm8a96u.jpg

I did every single puzzle in the treehouse and this one makes no sense to me. Looked up the solution online and it's completely contrary to everything I know about this symbol. There's obviously a rule I missed somewhere but not sure where. In any case what's the extra rule?

Do you want an explanation? Because if so:
See the stand for the panel? It's slanted - the panel was originally two squares to the side, meaning you start from the circle on the side, follow the lights on the panel until they end, then switch to the lights on the board (transition is two wide).

If just a hint:
There's something that says the panel is not where it was supposed to be.

I think I know what you're reffering to with your hint and that's what I was trying to play around with. If I still don't get it next time I hop on, I'll just spoil myself lol

protonion

but but but
they'd be 6 squares wide. Like, fuck, if that's how this rule works, I'll never be able to wrap my head around it oh god. And I'm nearing the end of the game lol.

if I don't have to take even basic rules of "how big is the field" into account with this before subtracting the shapes, then this might be where I wave the white flag o.o

aw man

edit: lol@the next one. eff this ;_;

The two bottom shapes switched should be put on top of each other like this

()ss
sSSs

() is empty. capital S are two squares in the same spot. Remove the blue square and you get: ssss

skynidas

Banned

I did every single puzzle in the treehouse and this one makes no sense to me. Looked up the solution online and it's completely contrary to everything I know about this symbol. There's obviously a rule I missed somewhere but not sure where. In any case what's the extra rule?

you have to look at it through the yellow window in the door behind you (which you have to open)

rje

Have you been to the
greenhouse
yet? Think about how you solved puzzles there.

160 in, four areas finished. Currently in that building with the red tree, just
opened the shutters and now trying to align a starting point for the path through the yellow foliage outside
. Enjoying the game a ton but I've yet to encounter anything mindblowing. Trying to not fall into the trap of expecting more than the game might have.

Edit: Made a lot of progress in the area. It's very cool, this is the kind of stuff I was really hoping for going in.

RedColumn

You know how you unlocked the mountain with 7 lasers? Do that again. So far we've found 520-ish normal panels and 130-ish plus puzzles, so you got some ways to go!

You mean the
end of the game inside the montain? Yes, I did that, but I was wondering if something else happend if you get the 11, but everything looks the same... maybe is too obvius and I am used to complicated point of view now after the game hahahaha

Exuro

You mean the
end of the game inside the montain? Yes, I did that, but I was wondering if something else happend if you get the 11, but everything looks the same... maybe is too obvius and I am used to complicated point of view now after the game hahahaha
Do the same thing you did as when you had 7. Go up the mountain, unlock the box, ect.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The two bottom shapes switched should be put on top of each other like this

()ss
sSSs

() is empty. capital S are two squares in the same spot. Remove the blue square and you get: ssss

Alright, look at this from a bit later on.
http://i.imgur.com/68MP7Ng.jpg

I tried various variants just to see what works and what doesn't, and i have absolutely no understanding of why these work, and how the fuck the third one is supposed to work ever.

For 1, literally everything works. It doesn't matter what I do. Why. If the upper symbol makes the 2-block "disappear", why on earth does this show aw correct?

For 2, same thing. The 2 minus blocks delete the 2 block. But a random 3 square big selection counts as correct.

For 3, the symbols aren't big enough to even fill the 4x4 line. Wat

I literally have absolutely no clue about how this shit works, and I wrapped my head around pretty much everything else so far, with I think 7-8 lasers active.

edit
oh fuck the line splits it again. stuff right of the line only reacts to stuff right of the line. ooooh fffff

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god I'm constantly seeing lines in real life that I want to magically trace over with my hand.

CZ3rYSYWQAEBVsm.jpg

literally my office door

not even kidding

protonion

Alright, look at this from a bit later on.
http://i.imgur.com/68MP7Ng.jpg

I tried various variants just to see what works and what doesn't, and i have absolutely no understanding of why these work, and how the fuck the third one is supposed to work ever.

For 1, literally everything works. It doesn't matter what I do. Why. If the upper symbol makes the 2-block "disappear", why on earth does this show aw correct?

For 2, same thing. The 2 minus blocks delete the 2 block. But a random 3 square big selection counts as correct.

For 3, the symbols aren't big enough to even fill the 4x4 line. Wat

I literally have absolutely no clue about how this shit works, and I wrapped my head around pretty much everything else so far, with I think 7-8 lasers active.

The first shouldnt work if you isolate the yellow shape.

Since the blue shape deleted the yellow one, you have just a blank maze. You only need to go to the exit.

For the third puzzle just
delete the 2x2 square. Group it with all the blue shapes and outline the 3-square shape.

High Rise

Neo Member
This game is beasting me! Half finished 70% of the areas but I'm struggling now, only got one laser activated! Refusing to look at guides though, gotta stay strong!

Dsyndrome

I don't understand the Tetris piece line puzzles in although I thought I did.
Are you supposed to make the shapes solely with he lines? What's with the slanted ones? There a puzzle in the treehouse with a single block Tetris piece in the middle that's impossible to isolate.
also don't understand the black stars.
Again at the treehouse, there's a puzzle with a single black star that you can't pair up with anything. No combination seems to work.
Having fun with it, I'm 130 puzzles down and keeping on truckin'.

valouris

Guys, is the
white cage after the part inside the mountain
a point of no return?

Also, I am trying to find all the
underground entrances to the cinema
. I can see from
underneath the desert and from underneath the windmill some closed doors underground, probably from an entrance that I haven't found
. I have no idea where it is, I have lit all lasers, and have scoured most of the island once already with no luck.

Croc

Banned
Anyone have a solution to this? It's in the desert area but
down on the beach
. Already spent enough time trying myself :|

img

I don't understand the Tetris piece line puzzles in although I thought I did.
Are you supposed to make the shapes solely with he lines? What's with the slanted ones? There a puzzle in the treehouse with a single block Tetris piece in the middle that's impossible to isolate.
also don't understand the black stars.
Again at the treehouse, there's a puzzle with a single black star that you can't pair up with anything. No combination seems to work.
Having fun with it, I'm 130 puzzles down and keeping on truckin'.

The slanted shapes can be rotated in any orientation.

For the black star: if you can't pair it with another black star, what's left that you can pair it with?

down on the beach

img

If you have fully completed the
marsh
, then you can understand this next hint:

Use the blue blocks to delete the T-piece completely, while crossing every black dot and tracing the outline of the 3-piece.

down on the beach

img

I was stuck there too.
I'm fairly certain the 1x3 will be sideways in ts own enclosed area and the T-piece will be eliminated by the 4 blue squares in another group, but I couldn't make it work while still getting every hexagon

G-Bus

Banned
Could someone give me a hint about the bunker
elevator. I see the light is green above so I can't help but think I need to skip the broken cable and somehow figure out what the next puzzle is and solve it. Just no idea.

Croc

Banned
If you have fully completed the
marsh
, then you can understand this next hint:

Use the blue blocks to delete the T-piece completely, while crossing every black dot and tracing the outline of the 3-piece.

I was stuck there too.
I'm fairly certain the 1x3 will be sideways in ts own enclosed area and the T-piece will be eliminated by the 4 blue squares in another group, but I couldn't make it work while still getting every hexagon

Yeah I mean, I've completed most of the game and know what I'm supposed to do, but I still can't get it to work out. I've reached that point where I'm past trying on my own and just want to find an answer so I can move on lol. Thanks though

I was stuck there too.

Try making the 1x3 vertical instead.

Makai

I just beat the game...

Is the game supposed to crash or something? And a dream and a dream and a dream - application end.

RedColumn

Do the same thing you did as when you had 7. Go up the mountain, unlock the box, ect.

Im getting lost in here....
I went back to the montain... which is already open. The cable is not white anymore though... and then I repeat... pretending that I wanna active the box again, and make the 3 puzzles to "open" the enter.... but nothing is happening. When I had 7, I just use the marc in the box to active the floor... which is activate anyway...

Using perspective to solve problems (tracing branches in this case, just like the puzzle before it). It's the mechanic used in the entire area. Now, if you're simply referring to the fact that the branch is on the ground, I can see where you're coming from, but at that point, I had learned to look throughout my surroundings if I can't figure something out.

Yep! I'm referring to the
branch on the ground
. I managed to find it pretty quickly but it wasn't obvious how (or if) you could merge it with other branches, or if you can trace any part on your own (without a branch).

It's not a big deal, but I just thought it was a bit weird.

I just did it.

Check your environment; there is only 1 broken tree branch in the entire inside area

The previous puzzle had branches that led to nowhere on the way to the exit, so be wary of those. It won't simply be a straight path to the exit.

The broken branch had an origin somewhere and it has a specific shape. The idea is to fit it into the overall pattern.
Sorry, I should've been more clear! I found the solution, I just thought the ruleset was unclear.

Although, I'm not sure if the origin of the branch was clear? Can you actually make that out?

351 panels +29, 8 lazers activated including the one in the treehouses...
still can't figure it out the multicolored stars door at the town, I haven't faced anything like that in the treehouses. You have four white stars, three red, threes blue, two black, two violet, two green.

Any hints?

I am in the quarry right now. Am I supposed to know how these 3 way white tiles are supposed to work at this point or are tutorial panels elsewhere?

you have to look at it through the yellow window in the door behind you (which you have to open)

I finished the treehouse area and I've no idea how to solve that puzzle... :/

I go back to the treehouse constantly but I have an pretty certain Idea of how things work but according to my understanding that door is anything like the ones in the treehouse.

Edit: Nevermind,
I've opened the door inside the house that shows me the answer... -_- it was impossible to open it without this info.

Top Bottom