• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Wok

Small rant: Remember that part of Indie Game: the Movie where Phil Fish sticks his head to a screen and watches the screen flash like Super Hexagon? Well, I have always thought this was a stupid thing to do. This is why I play games made by people like Johnatan Blow instead, i.e. by people who value a pleasant intellectual experience.

Right?

Am I right, John?

Small spoiler:
Well, nobody is perfect, and I think John forgot this was not super fun to just make psychedelic effects to increase the difficulty of a puzzle. It is like playing Super Hexagon sometimes.

Illustration of the small spoiler:
Make a gif of this and you have got the idea. I am sure there are even more color switches since this is making me sick just by watching it in-game.

8NytAdI.png
MX77s6s.png
UvhEgJE.png

FelipeMGM

Just finished the endgame and, wow.

SPOILERS

Its amazing how you are so trained to see the dot-line that those two very early puzzles are so obvious now, like as soon as I started the new game I knew that the line in very first the corridor was a puzzle. And god that sun-gat one was so clear too. And that was a very intriguing ending.

Tunahead

I'm now officially done with the rave house in the town. I grouped the colors into always black, always white, white on red, white on blue, white on green, black on red, black on blue, and black on green, and it didn't help at all. I got eight distinct colors and even managed to solve the panel without stars on it using those colors and it wasn't correct. I'm not going to embark on a beautiful journey of discovery where I learn color theory just for the sake of solving one manky puzzle. Somebody just tell me the answers.

well, unless I'm thinking of this wrong it seems to me it couldn't be vertical because then you'd have to have hexagons left on the spaces on the outside part that made the shape

To make it vertical, you have to come in from the left, then go down and back up.

Hmm, this one is really hard to explain without just uploading a picture.

navatan

Neo Member
Does anyone on the ps4 have a problem with the camera speed? it so slow to me at times, i wish there was a sensitivity option.

Grexeno

So, I'm in the forest and having trouble with a puzzle.

I've completed all of the
follow the light
side of the area, and now I'm stuck at the last puzzle of the
follow the shadows
series.

Basically,
there's a point where the shadow breaks
and I have absolutely no idea what I should be doing.

These Tetris puzzles had me so angry I had to look up a solution just so I could figure out the rules in play.

The tutorial puzzles did not do a good enough job explaining to me that you could completely disassemble the blocks and have other shapes placed in between them. I knew you could combine them but putting them in the middle of each other was lost on me.

I'm now officially done with the rave house in the town. I grouped the colors into always black, always white, white on red, white on blue, white on green, black on red, black on blue, and black on green, and it didn't help at all. I got eight distinct colors and even managed to solve the panel without stars on it using those colors and it wasn't correct. I'm not going to embark on a beautiful journey of discovery where I learn color theory just for the sake of solving one manky puzzle. Somebody just tell me the answers.

Just switch between each color and mark them with a sequence of black and whites. You'll get 8 colors (they need the same sequence, not the same amount of each) and it should be pretty easy from there.

Small rant: Remember that part of Indie Game: the Movie where Phil Fish sticks his head to a screen and watches the screen flash like Super Hexagon? Well, I have always thought this was a stupid thing to do. This is why I play games made by people like Johnatan Blow instead, i.e. by people who value a pleasant intellectual experience.

It's probably the worst puzzle type in the whole game, but I feel it does serve a purpose in regarding the story, instead of just throwing a gimmick for the sake of one. I'd still rather something else there instead :/

These Tetris puzzles had me so angry I had to look up a solution just so I could figure out the rules in play.

The tutorial puzzles did not do a good enough job explaining to me that you could completely disassemble the blocks and have other shapes placed in between them. I knew you could combine them but putting them in the middle of each other was lost on me.

How did you
solve the tutorial puzzle with a 2-by-2 box and a 1-by-2 piece side by side where the solution is a 3-by-2 vertical rectangle? It says you can put them even if they're not on top of their symbol

Makai

I can't continue because
the game saved with me locked me in the elevator. I have to restart the game if I want to get more beacons :(

Hint for maze puzzle please? The final one where it combines all 4 mazes. The one with the tetris, black/white pieces, and the little black dots

Grexeno

So, I'm in the forest and having trouble with a puzzle.

I've completed all of the
follow the light
side of the area, and now I'm stuck at the last puzzle of the
follow the shadows
series.

Basically,
there's a point where the shadow breaks
and I have absolutely no idea what I should be doing.
Nevermind. Because god I'm an idiot.

Tunahead

Just switch between each color and mark them with a sequence of black and whites. You'll get 8 colors (they need the same sequence, not the same amount of each) and it should be pretty easy from there.

That's what I did. I also mentioned this in the post you were replying to. I guess you could be meaning something else, (although I don't see how) so I'll also elaborate what I did in excruciating detail:

I switched the light between blue, green and red. Some blocks remained white under all of them, some blocks remained white under only one of them, some remained black only under one of them, and some remained black constantly. Here are the results I reached for the left panel:

Code:
[SPOILER]NE   WW
EE   WW

BR   GD
BB   GG[/SPOILER]

Key:
N = only black under green light
E = only black under blue light
W = always white
B = always black
R = only white under red light
G = only white under green light
D = only black under red light

There were no blocks that were only white under blue light.

From there it was pretty easy to separate them into groups, but the panel refused to acknowledge that as the correct result. I have summarily concluded that this puzzle is shit.

Do you want an explanation? Because if so:
See the stand for the panel? It's slanted - the panel was originally two squares to the side, meaning you start from the circle on the side, follow the lights on the panel until they end, then switch to the lights on the board (transition is two wide).

If just a hint:
There's something that says the panel is not where it was supposed to be.

The entire shadow has been moved. ollow the same thing that has been done on previous puzzles, but have the movement to the left in mind in every part of the puzzle
even the start point

Even with these explanations it was still tough to figure out fully. You gotta be observant/analytical as fuck lol

ty

That's what I did. I also mentioned this in the post you were replying to. I guess you could be meaning something else, (although I don't see how) so I'll also elaborate what I did in excruciating detail:

I switched the light between blue, green and red. Some blocks remained white under all of them, some blocks remained white under only one of them, some remained black only under one of them, and some remained black constantly. Here are the results I reached for the left panel:

Code:
[SPOILER]NE   WW
EE   WW

BR   GD
BB   GG[/SPOILER]

Key:
N = only black under green light
E = only black under blue light
W = always white
B = always black
R = only white under red light
G = only white under green light
D = only black under red light

There were no blocks that were only white under blue light.

From there it was pretty easy to separate them into groups, but the panel refused to acknowledge that as the correct result. I have summarily concluded that this puzzle is shit.

If I had saved my excel table I'd show it, because that's exactly what I did and I found a solution to separate them properly pretty quickly :/.
Not with the game right now otherwise I'd give a pointer on what seems to be wrong. Also, I knew I grouped, but I recommended making the sequences cause I tried grouping them by memory and didn't work, sorry 'bout that

roytheone

Just curious if I solved this puzzle the way they intended:

In the greenhouse
the elevator at the floor where the cable is broken.

I solved it by making screenshots of the 4 working floors and flipping through them, that way I found a pattern and just continued that pattern for floor 5. Is this the way they intended? Or did they intend for you to do something with color?

Tunahead

This is the right idea but it's not the result I had, maybe you've messed up a little? I've taken lot of photo to help me solve those type of puzzle :D

I checked my screenshots, and it's the same result again. :C

EDIT: Somehow my solution worked this time though. Hooray!

Slay

Stuck in the Sawmill, i didn't jump on the ramp while it was changing position. Anyone knows how to move the ramp back?

Ansatz

Sorry, I should've been more clear! I found the solution, I just thought the ruleset was unclear.

Although, I'm not sure if the origin of the branch was clear? Can you actually make that out?

You can indirectly by looking at the pattern that appears on the panel. If you assume it's connected to the upper and lower parts without intersecting them, then it only fits in one spot. I'm not saying these are easy assumptions to make, but hey. It took me a while to figure it out.

The first thing I did was to look for a cut in the tree itself but I didn't find any, I was a little confused by that tbh but I guess it would've been too easy that way.

Servbot24

Banned
I brute forced through the
hedge
mazes. The first one is obvious, the second one is slightly tricky but not too tough, but the next two... I didn't see anything about them that indicated what to do, they seemed completely plain. Since I've already completed them, anyone mind explaining how those are supposed to be solved?

Stuck in the Sawmill, i didn't jump on the ramp while it was changing position. Anyone knows how to move the ramp back?

You should be able to solve the simple maze in a different way.

I need a hint :|

In the broken church in town, the bell tower area, there are two tapes next to it. It's a simple square maze but I dont get how to figure it out...

Possibly stupid question (trees, not treehouse, puzzles spoilers):

So the after doing the sound puzzles you're lead into the bamboo area, I opened the cave door and discovered what I believe is a tutorial. Is that it for this area? Is it not possible to "finish" it?

Posted this a while back and nobody responded.

Any ideas?

hedge
mazes. The first one is obvious, the second one is slightly tricky but not too tough, but the next two... I didn't see anything about them that indicated what to do, they seemed completely plain. Since I've already completed them, anyone mind explaining how those are supposed to be solved?l
If I'm thinking of the right ones, there was a
footstep sound one and a baaaarely perceptible worn path one.

Exuro

Posted this a while back and nobody responded.

Any ideas?
Finishing those panels lights up a cable, try to find where it leads. Although I'm not quite sure what you mean by cave door. I assume you mean you unlocked the row of 4 or 5 panels that popped up.

hedge
mazes. The first one is obvious, the second one is slightly tricky but not too tough, but the next two... I didn't see anything about them that indicated what to do, they seemed completely plain. Since I've already completed them, anyone mind explaining how those are supposed to be solved?

3rd maze you listen to your foot step sounds. Fourth maze you have to recall the previous maze solutions.

cyba89

Aaargh!
Managed to solve 515 panels by myself, but I officially need some help now. It's a post-endgame panel and I need help from someone who solved almost everything in the game. Tried to solve this for 3 or 4 hours and I just can't get the solution.

It's the upper panel of these two: http://imgur.com/PJLqXuU
Just a little hint please. I don't want the full solution.

hedge

Did you miss the audio cue for the third one(?) I think the third one had this?

Side note: For end game / post game people
I went into the mountain and my head hurts with the changing colours and flashing and stuff but i finally reached a panel that looks like it is an elevator? it has a key shaped puzzle on it. should i do this if i want to still spend more time exploring? is it a point of no return? I got all 11 lasers but only 2 things in the video theater and only +5 in the save file.

roytheone

hedge

3th maze footsteps, 4th the line maze is different from the real maze, and there is only one path that works with both.

Exuro

I went into the mountain and my head hurts with the changing colours and flashing and stuff but i finally reached a panel that looks like it is an elevator? it has a key shaped puzzle on it. should i do this if i want to still spend more time exploring? is it a point of no return? I got all 11 lasers but only 2 things in the video theater and only +5 in the save file.
There isn't a point of return really. There's an end cutscene which will autosave before you take it.

Glad to see Blow has pushed an update. Little worried about stuff like that messing with my save file.

What does the collector's edition of The Witness come with? My suggestions are:
a cloth map, field notes, with grid paper, wooden or magnetic tetronimos, pantone colour swatches, selection of colour gels
useful pieces wrapped in foil like Risk Legacy to ensure you only open when needed.

hank_tree

There's no point of no return. If you reach the ending you can reload your save afterwards.

jett

D-Member
Post-game:

LOL goddamn you Jonathan Blow. Not sure if I'll ever beat that.

Don't want any help here, just wanted to express my bewilderment over this tetris panel, but clearly there is something here I havent been taught.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ_az43UsAALJKu.jpg:large

Moving on

That one stumped me for ages, despite already doing the tutorial for those blocks, and finishing the entire section for those blocks, and already being able to access that area from two different places in a roundabout way. That door is there to just fuck with you.

There isn't a point of return really. There's an end cutscene which will autosave before you take it.

how far would you say I am from there?

There's no point of no return. If you reach the ending you can reload your save afterwards.

alright thanks. I guess I can just keep solving puzzles until i get stuck then without worrying about missing out on something from before. thank you.

Post-game:

LOL goddamn you Jonathan Blow. Not sure if I'll ever beat that.

That one stumped me for ages, despite already doing the tutorial for those blocks, and the entire for those blocks, and already being able to access that area from two different places in a roundabout way. That door is there to just fuck with you.

Yea, you can't reach that point without understanding the required rule, but the game is very good at taking the implementation of the rules to their complete extreme in a way that really tests your spatial reasoning

hydruxo

Hint for maze puzzle please? The final one where it combines all 4 mazes. The one with the tetris, black/white pieces, and the little black dots

Keep going vertically from top to bottom and bottom to top through each section of unique tiles until you get to the end. It'll take some trial and error since it's such a large panel.

Can't solve it from there

Aaargh!
Managed to solve 515 panels by myself, but I officially need some help now. It's a post-endgame panel and I need help from someone who solved almost everything in the game. Tried to solve this for 3 or 4 hours and I just can't get the solution.

It's the upper panel of these two: http://imgur.com/PJLqXuU
Just a little hint please. I don't want the full solution.

I had a lot of trouble for this one and it's hard not giving big hints but...

Hint 1:
The 4 pieces don't go together
Hint 2:
Make an area for the 2 pieces at the top and the 2 at the bottom

Top Bottom